Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Turkish Prospects

I watched three games of our U-16 team in Iscar tournament which is held in Spain. We won all three games before the final and unfortunately lost to Spain 78-77 with a buzzer beater. It doesn't matter, our guys showed great effort I also don't understand one thing. Why do referees make positive discrimination even in this kind of tournament where the score is not that important? It is just pathetic. Spanish referees had protected Spanish players in every position. Anyway, we were better team even though lost the final that I can guarantee you. It is sad that I couldn't have watched Adem Bayrak who is the best player of this generation along with Mert Konuk and Eray Akyüz. He was the MVP of Istanbul youth championship. I am disappointed when I didn't see his name in roster list, most probably he is injured. He is so dominant under the rim. Here is the first impression of mine for the 2000 generation players who came into prominence in this tournament. It is hard to make detailed comments therefore I just stated basic features of players.

Mert Konuk (SG): He impressed me a lot. He was the part of last year's team but couldn't take sufficient minutes to show himself up. Looks like he will be the leader of team. Solid body tools for the position, shoots the threes with acceptable percentage, handles the ball well, surpass his opponent with good movements, good penetrating guard that showed determination while going through basket. Looks like he likes to be leader that hit few clutch shots in these three games. If he can have a good season until the summer, I assert he can make the same impact like Korkmaz and Bitim had done when they had been playing in U-16 team. The kid has potential. Scored 30 points in final game against Spain. I liken his game to Serkan Erdoğan's one. Pure scorer is coming.

Eray Akyüz (PG): He is playing very mature for a 15 years old player. He can handle the pressure well (didn't play in final game. His absence was the reason why we made a lot of turnovers) and can easily crosses the ball the other side. Very fast player and also agile. Very good rebounder for a PG. He grabs the ones which drops into the poll. Has three point shots and good passing skills. He is the second player that impressed me most.

Yavuz Gültekin (SF/PF): Very very good shooter behind the arc. Good rebounder thanks to his athleticism and position knowledge. He needs to improve his ball handling which is quite problematic that limits him. Still, he really amazed me with this outstanding shooting performance. (7/9 3 point shots in three games)

Mert Akay (PG): Very promising guard. I have heard his name from my friends but after watching him, I just granted their right. Very scorer guard and agile like Akyüz. His problematic part is shooting part but fearlessly going towards basket is a big plus for him. He also likes to make his friend to keep in the game. I couldn't see this from Akyüz for example. He has very soft hands that helps him to finish the positions easily. I will watch out his development. A little bit skinny even for this level. After his body get shaped, he will use these drives more often.

Those 4 names were better than the others. I am repeating, these comments are just first impressions about the players. It is nice our best players are generally guards in this generation. Adem Bayrak will play in another tournament. Looking forward to see him playing in this team because he is a very interesting talent for a center.
    Last edited by slice me nice; 12-18-2015 at 06:24 PM.

Very significant improvement from Emir Gökalp ('95 - PG - 1.85) with Gelişim Koleji jersey in TBL this year. He wasn't the part of any youth NT last summer but with the improvement that he has shown so far, he may even be a good candidate for the senior NT in next two or three years. Already averaged 12,6 PPG, 4 RPG, 5,1 APG. All the sources say he is a superb hardworking guy and aiming the big. Seeing this effort from a PG prospect where Sipahi and Uğurlu don't do anything for progressing is quite pleasing.

Next year, a TBSL team should add him to its roster. TBL is the league where the foreign promising PGs are shining and Gökalp is giving hard time to them, he deserves to play in higher division for sure. Also we shouldn't push Arda Vekiloğlu into the background in this case since he has a part in his development.

Berk Uğurlu ('96), Metecan Birsen ('95), Kenan Sipahi ('95), Furkan Korkmaz ('97), Ege Arar ('96), Emircan Koşut ('95) and Egemen Güven ('96) have declared for the NBA draft so far. Placing Korkmaz on one side, Sipahi may be a late second draftee. That applies to Egemen Güven as well. The rest's chances are slim to none. My favorite Turkish prospect Tolga Geçim hasn't declared yet, in point of fact, it is a good choice. He is not a NBA prospect and need to focus on European basketball. Curiously enough, we don't get no news from Okben Ulubay. He is doing well in Pertevniyal. Looks like he will wait one more season.

Quote Originally Posted by slice me nice View Post
    Berk Uğurlu ('96), Metecan Birsen ('95), Kenan Sipahi ('95), Furkan Korkmaz ('97), Ege Arar ('96), Emircan Koşut ('95) and Egemen Güven ('96) have declared for the NBA draft so far. Placing Korkmaz on one side, Sipahi may be a late second draftee. That applies to Egemen Güven as well. The rest's chances are slim to none. My favorite Turkish prospect Tolga Geçim hasn't declared yet, in point of fact, it is a good choice. He is not a NBA prospect and need to focus on European basketball. Curiously enough, we don't get no news from Okben Ulubay. He is doing well in Pertevniyal. Looks like he will wait one more season.
    Emircan Koşut has got impressive height and length so that he may have a slight chance to be drafted in the second round of 2016 draft.The same thing goes for Egemen Güven,thanks to his past performances in youth events.Furkan Korkmaz will be drafted for sure.

Kenan Sipahi averaged 11 PPG, 4,6 RPG, 7,2 APG stats in the last 6 games where he played more than 25 minutes. I have been the talent negator of him but what he has shown so far through end of the season is quite impressive. This season is his last chance to prove that whether he worth all those hypes or not but come on, he is making hay while the sun shines, all in all Karşıyaka is a great school for all players who want to come to the forefront. Sipahi shot his bolt and it is safe to say that was so terrific accurate. Last year was so tragic for him but he pumped some confidence by himself and definitely a NT material right now.

I don't want to rely on my expectations on him anymore however you can't find a true PG in Europe with this kind of size which gives him inarguable advantage. He has transformed himself into a PnR monster. Thanks to his aerial viewpoint, he can find his man easier than a regular PG after rollings. Now he has a better mid-range threat so he can either finish his position with a mid-range or a pass. That was the most criticized part of his game before. Also, still a limited threat behind the arc but in comparison to last year's percentages, there is a little bit improvement in that aspect too. The playoffs will be a good indicator for him to show what he will be capable of doing under some pressure. Next year should be his target season, we may see a break-out from him depends on where he will move. Apart from Fenerbahçe, he has enough quality to come in on the other Turkish Euroleague teams. Great size, vision, passing skill, defense but insufficient shooting skill for being elite. Still can be considered as a prospect since U-22 players are in on this title and with this speed of constant development, he may end up in top level at the end of his career. Totally depends on him.

The youth tournament season ended, 1 silver from U17 WC, 2 bronzes from U20 and U16 ECs. Unfortunately, we couldn't watch our U18 team whom are considered as the biggest favorite of the tournament, we would get the gold easily if the tournament wouldn't be postponed. We watched approximately 30-35 different players in these 3 youth NTs, as few of the guys from U17 team have also played for the U16 one. Some of the prospects met the expectations and some of them even exceeded the expectations when few of them failed the class. By predicating on their performances, here is my in and out list for this summer:

IN

- Ragıp Berke Atar ('99, C, 2.09): Impressive performance in U17 team, has improved some aspects of his game in comparison with last year, playing with senior team in second league has surely made contribution to his game, he is now tougher and stronger, more comfortable around rim at finishing the possessions. That's his signature weakness during the tournament last year, however he averaged 58,5% from 2PTs this time. Improvement is there, he varied his post-up options. For me his biggest asset is his great frame, it is open to development, he will be able to add some muscle pounds on his upper and lower body. He was the most mobile center prospect of the tournament, rolling great on PnRs, being active during the sets no matter he is the primary option or not. He is arguably a NBA prospect, needs to improve the typical eternal Turkish C FT problem immediately, shouldn't stop to diversify his offensive arsenal and working on his body tools. It is hard to find a mobile and strong center, in today's basketball the combination of these two things make a lot of differences.

- Yiğit Arslan ('96, SG, 1.94): He was the greatest surprise for me. I thought that he was going to make a good impact on team by being a role player, but even me didn't expect this kind of a all-around contribution. In the previous seasons, Arslan was a typical youth tournament player who was living and dying with his 3-PT shots, he was rarely getting responsibilities at the other dimensions of game, however starting with U19 team last year in WC, he had been the transition game initiator and defensive enthusing performer. Despite having more various skillset, he was still too far away from being considered as a high profile prospect. However, he has gotten great chances in Tofaş after his promising run with U19 NT and he joined the team as being the most ready player both physically and mentally. His defensive and offensive balance was great, his anticipation, which is referring his senior level experience, did help a lot to him on defense so that he had great steal numbers. Arslan has great cuts through basket, it is all about having the high basketball IQ and knowing the importance of being an effective player even though you don't own the ball. That's one of the problems with Turkish players who don't know how to be effective when they don't own the ball, they can watch Arslan's off the ball movements and cuts from this tournament. I believe that he is going to get convincing minutes in Tofaş this season, if the things go at his sweet will, he is between one of my candidates for Eurobasket roster.

- Eray Akyüz ('00, PG, 1.88): Definitely in. He has always been a good prospect for my taste, however he couldn't have convinced most of the youth tournament followers until this U16 EC. He has showed his scorer face, shot great beyond the arc (%42 except one bad shooting game), showed how skilled he is by exemplifying his various lay-ups and mid-range shots. He can score for sure, he can play his teammates when he is surrounded with some quality names and most importantly, he has great confidence and not fragile mentally. That's an important feature while evaluating a PG prospect. Specific to the last tournament, Akyüz made a lot of crucial shots. My concerns regarding him are his general defensive positioning knowledge and carelessness. His AS/TO ratio doesn't look bright, because of the fact that he is sometimes trying too much. He will learn to control his turnovers in progress of time hopefully, on defense, the main need is that being more eager. Good prospect and he has made a good move this season. Banvit is producing great talents recently.

OUT

- Onuralp Bitim ('99, SG/SF, 1.97): Big potential, however out for this summer. US highschool choice seems a big mistake, I have watched some of his games and the way he has been used there is really ridiculous. His clueless coach tried to create a SF/PF from Bitim, I couldn't believe my eyes when Bitim was the side who was rolling during rarely existing PnR positions. They strengthened him in a short time, in parallel with that he lost his explosiveness, agility, pace and shooting form due to the coordination problem that we generally see after the overcharging the body tools. Bitim will find his level, I have no doubt about it, but he really has to work on his shooting form, since he is changing it frequently. A high level prospect would have already formed his mechanism, that's the problem with Bitim. This US journey didn't do his game a heap of good, since the problems related with his game wouldn't be solved with American basketball mentality. His game has became more wild, however wasting a season doesn't take anything from the potential, he is still the number 1 Turkish prospect in my eyes. Of course, this doesn't change the reality he couldn't meet the expectations although he didn't play that bad.

- Egemen Güven ('96, C, 2.09): Soft, too soft. Maybe the softest player of his generation. Never ever initiates the contact both on defense and offense. He is super talented with high finger sensitivity, soft hands, passing skills, mid range jumpers and those footworks, however as long as he abstains himself from contact, it is too hard to say that he is able to take good roles on senior level. He is physically gifted actually, however he hasn't bulked up a little bit since the day he had been hyped. Okay, he seemed a little bit stronger in this tournament since he has spent some time in US with some individual development coaches, nevertheless nothing has changed when it comes to physical contention. He even didn't try post-up moves much, tried to find score by depending upon his skilled hands. No need to backbite him, he did, he helped the team on offense and averaged a good PPG stat but as I have said, if he wants to make his dreams real, he needs to overcome the softness issue first in his mind. Since he pegs this problem as a drawback, he won't reflect some toughness on floor even though he is probably capable of doing it. He is going to be given an important role in KSK this year, his last chance if you ask me, he needs to benefit from this opportunity. If he can't make an impact, '98 born Görkem Doğan will be there to take his place. We will see.

- Okben Ulubay ('96, SF, 2.00): Had a very good and promising season with Pertevniyal jersey, the expectations were so high on him as usual with U20 NT, however as per usual, one more below expectations performance from him. Nobody can deny he is talented, the thing which is wrong with him is his inactive game understanding. I mentioned above, Yiğit Arslan is relentless with a high motor, Ulubay is the total opposite of this guy. He likes to be the brain and leader of team, when such role isn't given him, he doesn't care what is going around him, just waiting at corners to ball fall into his hands. He ain't a team player, the ego needs to be rasped. His court vision and passing skills are insane, totally an unpredictable player who can score 15 points in one quarter without even sweating off. That's him, however senior level basketball is unmerciful. He will play in Giresun this season, a good place to fully concentrate on basketball. You can only play basketball and eat handfuls of nuts there. It is still early to cross his name out, hopefully he will learn how to be a good team player in Giresun, most probably he will. Besides that, he is still the decadent of this summer.

Anyone have information about this kid ? 2002 born Dimitrios Nikoglou from Paok. He was invited Turkish U15 team camp.

Furkan broke free of his chains at Efes, is establishing himself as one of the best players of Banvit.

5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456