Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The youth tournament season ended, 1 silver from U17 WC, 2 bronzes from U20 and U16 ECs. Unfortunately, we couldn't watch our U18 team whom are considered as the biggest favorite of the tournament, we would get the gold easily if the tournament wouldn't be postponed. We watched approximately 30-35 different players in these 3 youth NTs, as few of the guys from U17 team have also played for the U16 one. Some of the prospects met the expectations and some of them even exceeded the expectations when few of them failed the class. By predicating on their performances, here is my in and out list for this summer:

IN

- Ragıp Berke Atar ('99, C, 2.09): Impressive performance in U17 team, has improved some aspects of his game in comparison with last year, playing with senior team in second league has surely made contribution to his game, he is now tougher and stronger, more comfortable around rim at finishing the possessions. That's his signature weakness during the tournament last year, however he averaged 58,5% from 2PTs this time. Improvement is there, he varied his post-up options. For me his biggest asset is his great frame, it is open to development, he will be able to add some muscle pounds on his upper and lower body. He was the most mobile center prospect of the tournament, rolling great on PnRs, being active during the sets no matter he is the primary option or not. He is arguably a NBA prospect, needs to improve the typical eternal Turkish C FT problem immediately, shouldn't stop to diversify his offensive arsenal and working on his body tools. It is hard to find a mobile and strong center, in today's basketball the combination of these two things make a lot of differences.

- Yiğit Arslan ('96, SG, 1.94): He was the greatest surprise for me. I thought that he was going to make a good impact on team by being a role player, but even me didn't expect this kind of a all-around contribution. In the previous seasons, Arslan was a typical youth tournament player who was living and dying with his 3-PT shots, he was rarely getting responsibilities at the other dimensions of game, however starting with U19 team last year in WC, he had been the transition game initiator and defensive enthusing performer. Despite having more various skillset, he was still too far away from being considered as a high profile prospect. However, he has gotten great chances in Tofaş after his promising run with U19 NT and he joined the team as being the most ready player both physically and mentally. His defensive and offensive balance was great, his anticipation, which is referring his senior level experience, did help a lot to him on defense so that he had great steal numbers. Arslan has great cuts through basket, it is all about having the high basketball IQ and knowing the importance of being an effective player even though you don't own the ball. That's one of the problems with Turkish players who don't know how to be effective when they don't own the ball, they can watch Arslan's off the ball movements and cuts from this tournament. I believe that he is going to get convincing minutes in Tofaş this season, if the things go at his sweet will, he is between one of my candidates for Eurobasket roster.

- Eray Akyüz ('00, PG, 1.88): Definitely in. He has always been a good prospect for my taste, however he couldn't have convinced most of the youth tournament followers until this U16 EC. He has showed his scorer face, shot great beyond the arc (%42 except one bad shooting game), showed how skilled he is by exemplifying his various lay-ups and mid-range shots. He can score for sure, he can play his teammates when he is surrounded with some quality names and most importantly, he has great confidence and not fragile mentally. That's an important feature while evaluating a PG prospect. Specific to the last tournament, Akyüz made a lot of crucial shots. My concerns regarding him are his general defensive positioning knowledge and carelessness. His AS/TO ratio doesn't look bright, because of the fact that he is sometimes trying too much. He will learn to control his turnovers in progress of time hopefully, on defense, the main need is that being more eager. Good prospect and he has made a good move this season. Banvit is producing great talents recently.

OUT

- Onuralp Bitim ('99, SG/SF, 1.97): Big potential, however out for this summer. US highschool choice seems a big mistake, I have watched some of his games and the way he has been used there is really ridiculous. His clueless coach tried to create a SF/PF from Bitim, I couldn't believe my eyes when Bitim was the side who was rolling during rarely existing PnR positions. They strengthened him in a short time, in parallel with that he lost his explosiveness, agility, pace and shooting form due to the coordination problem that we generally see after the overcharging the body tools. Bitim will find his level, I have no doubt about it, but he really has to work on his shooting form, since he is changing it frequently. A high level prospect would have already formed his mechanism, that's the problem with Bitim. This US journey didn't do his game a heap of good, since the problems related with his game wouldn't be solved with American basketball mentality. His game has became more wild, however wasting a season doesn't take anything from the potential, he is still the number 1 Turkish prospect in my eyes. Of course, this doesn't change the reality he couldn't meet the expectations although he didn't play that bad.

- Egemen Güven ('96, C, 2.09): Soft, too soft. Maybe the softest player of his generation. Never ever initiates the contact both on defense and offense. He is super talented with high finger sensitivity, soft hands, passing skills, mid range jumpers and those footworks, however as long as he abstains himself from contact, it is too hard to say that he is able to take good roles on senior level. He is physically gifted actually, however he hasn't bulked up a little bit since the day he had been hyped. Okay, he seemed a little bit stronger in this tournament since he has spent some time in US with some individual development coaches, nevertheless nothing has changed when it comes to physical contention. He even didn't try post-up moves much, tried to find score by depending upon his skilled hands. No need to backbite him, he did, he helped the team on offense and averaged a good PPG stat but as I have said, if he wants to make his dreams real, he needs to overcome the softness issue first in his mind. Since he pegs this problem as a drawback, he won't reflect some toughness on floor even though he is probably capable of doing it. He is going to be given an important role in KSK this year, his last chance if you ask me, he needs to benefit from this opportunity. If he can't make an impact, '98 born Görkem Doğan will be there to take his place. We will see.

- Okben Ulubay ('96, SF, 2.00): Had a very good and promising season with Pertevniyal jersey, the expectations were so high on him as usual with U20 NT, however as per usual, one more below expectations performance from him. Nobody can deny he is talented, the thing which is wrong with him is his inactive game understanding. I mentioned above, Yiğit Arslan is relentless with a high motor, Ulubay is the total opposite of this guy. He likes to be the brain and leader of team, when such role isn't given him, he doesn't care what is going around him, just waiting at corners to ball fall into his hands. He ain't a team player, the ego needs to be rasped. His court vision and passing skills are insane, totally an unpredictable player who can score 15 points in one quarter without even sweating off. That's him, however senior level basketball is unmerciful. He will play in Giresun this season, a good place to fully concentrate on basketball. You can only play basketball and eat handfuls of nuts there. It is still early to cross his name out, hopefully he will learn how to be a good team player in Giresun, most probably he will. Besides that, he is still the decadent of this summer.
    Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
    Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

• Anyone have information about this kid ? 2002 born Dimitrios Nikoglou from Paok. He was invited Turkish U15 team camp.

Comment

• Furkan broke free of his chains at Efes, is establishing himself as one of the best players of Banvit.

5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

• I didn't want to hurry up to value '01 generation, so I have watched the players who are on the boil carefully, I have to hand it to guys, this generation is surely the most interesting one I have came across. Talent diversity wise, '96 generation has been my favorite despite they couldn't have met the expectations yet, however this group of players match them easily. The generation offers a lot of options at guard positions, that’s something we don't often see in Turkish basketball. I won't name players like this player makes NBA, that player makes Euroleague and etc, however all these players below have potentials to play big roles in future.

1) Ömer Can İlyasoğlu (Anadolu Efes - PG): Good length for position, great passer, good game reader, creative and already has mature game for this age. Shooting is kinda problematic, the release is so slow that limits him while creating his own shot. Knows to manifest himself on court, takes responsibility. Long term potential, the other guys that I have listed below may be better than him for now, however I sense bigger potential in this guy.

2) Mustafa Kurtuldum (Anadolu Efes - SG/SF): A talented swingman reminds me Cedi Osman a lot in some aspects. Great energy, solid athleticism, fast and agile, not flinch from getting physical contact, defense is there, likes to be leader and the ball in hands. He can improve the terms with ball, having difficulties to create for teammates. He has potential to be a complete player and should stay this course.

3) Ömer Yasir Küçük (TED Kolejliler - PG): Recently engaging attention of people due to his magnific performance during Turkish Championship. Actually he had not been thought as the top guy of this generation, but looks like he has gradually improved his game since last year. Lefty, score-first guard, has quick hands, despite having insufficient frame even for this level he is not a soft player, a serious threat beyond the arc, has diverse offensive tools to make buckets. Some people may put him on the top of the list, I wouldn't say no. Big potential, he hopefully will get at least 10 cm longer to reflect his talents at the highest level.

4) Atakan Erdek (Banvit - PG/SG): Unpredictable scorer. Runs the court well, a good facilitator beside his scorer identity, excels in the open court, can finish in traffic, good finisher overall, likes to go coast to coast. Shooting is still developing, hard to hazard a guess on this part. In a tournament he is shooting consistently when the next tournament he is screwed up shooting dimension of game. A little bit consistency wouldn't hurt. However, the leap he has made so far is applaudable.

5) İsmail Karabilen (Fenerbahçe - PF/C): Gripping player because of his skillset. Has perimeter shooting touch, tries mid-ranges consistently, great court vision for position, quality post-up moves, soft hands but at the same time soft player as a negative point. It is early to talk on his senior level potential, but this guy is special and seeking a individual program to improve himself as he is lacking athleticism.

Honorable mentions: Canberk Kavşuk (Beşiktaş - C), Kerem Öztürk (Anadolu Efes - PG), Cem Kırcıman (Fenerbahçe - PF), Ekrem Sancaklı (Fenerbahçe - SG), Berkan Aksu (Tofaş - SF/PF), Arda Çete (Banvit - SF), Can Nayman (Beşiktaş - PG/SG).
          Last edited by slice me nice; 05-26-2017, 08:57 PM.
          Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
          Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

• Originally posted by slice me nice View Post
            I didn’t want to hurry up to value ’01 generation, so I have watched the players who are on the boil carefully, I have to hand it to guys, this generation is surely the most interesting one I have came across. Talent diversity wise, ’96 generation has been my favorite despite they couldn’t have met the expectations yet, however this group of players match them easily. The generation offers a lot of options at guard positions, that’s something we don’t often see in Turkish basketball. I won’t name players like this player makes NBA, that player makes Euroleague and etc, however all these players below have potentials to play big roles in future.

1) Ömer Can İlyasoğlu (Anadolu Efes - PG): Good length for position, great passer, good game reader, creative and already has mature game for this age. Shooting is kinda problematic, the release is so slow that limits him while creating his own shot. Knows to manifest himself on court, takes responsibility. Long term potential, the other guys that I have listed below may be better than him for now, however I sense bigger potential in this guy.

2) Mustafa Kurtuldum (Anadolu Efes - SG/SF): A talented swingman reminds me Cedi Osman a lot in some aspects. Great energy, solid athleticism, fast and agile, not flinch from getting physical contact, defense is there, likes to be leader and the ball in hands. He can improve the terms with ball, having difficulties to create for teammates. He has potential to be a complete player and should stay this course.

3) Ömer Yasir Küçük (TED Kolejliler - PG): Recently engaging attention of people due to his magnific performance during Turkish Championship. Actually he had not been thought as the top guy of this generation, but looks like he has gradually improved his game since last year. Lefty, score-first guard, has quick hands, despite having insufficient frame even for this level he is not a soft player, a serious threat beyond the arc, has diverse offensive tools to make buckets. Some people may put him on the top of the list, I wouldn’t say no. Big potential, he hopefully will get at least 10 cm longer to reflect his talents at the highest level.

4) Atakan Erdek (Banvit - PG/SG): Unpredictable scorer. Runs the court well, a good facilitator beside his scorer identity, excels in the open court, can finish in traffic, good finisher overall, likes to go coast to coast. Shooting is still developing, hard to hazard a guess on this part. In a tournament he is shooting consistently when the next tournament he is screwed up shooting dimension of game. A little bit consistency wouldn’t hurt. However, the leap he has made so far is applaudable.

5) İsmail Karabilen (Fenerbahçe - PF/C): Gripping player because of his skillset. Has perimeter shooting touch, tries mid-ranges consistently, great court vision for position, quality post-up moves, soft hands but at the same time soft player as a negative point. It is early to talk on his senior level potential, but this guy is special and seeking a individual program to improve himself as he is lacking athleticism.

Honorable mentions: Canberk Kavşuk (Beşiktaş - C), Kerem Öztürk (Anadolu Efes - PG), Cem Kırcıman (Fenerbahçe - PF), Ekrem Sancaklı (Fenerbahçe - SG), Berkan Aksu (Tofaş - SF/PF), Arda Çete (Banvit - SF), Can Nayman (Beşiktaş - PG/SG).
            Omer Yasir Küçük scored 18 points in U-18 game (4/5 from behind the arc) aganist two years older kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by gockun View Post
              Omer Yasir Küçük scored 18 points in U-18 game (4/5 from behind the arc) aganist two years older kids.
              In the same tournament, he is shooting 50% (15/30) on three pointers. By taking into account the fact that he is two years younger than the most of the players in the tournament, the shooting performance is more than good. Farther, he showed a massive performance against Telekom, 36 points (8/11 2FG, 6/10 3PT, 2/2 FT), 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 8 steals with only 2 turnovers in 36 min playing time! The kid is flying high. I don't know what kind of performances we will see if his undersized body matches with his peers one day. Probably pure domination. The rest of the guards in the tournament seem like his big brothers due to size differences and constitute a lot of problems to this guy's natural-born talents. It will be interesting to see what he will be capable of doing in international arena.
              Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

• Thank you for keeping us afresh SMN.

I can only start to see the prospects from national u16 tournaments and onwards, so these names are all new for me. Hope some will be in the NT this summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
                  Thank you for keeping us afresh SMN.

I can only start to see the prospects from national u16 tournaments and onwards, so these names are all new for me. Hope some will be in the NT this summer.
                  Levenspiel, actually these players have already played in two preparation tournaments together. They won 10 out of 10 games, playing with 100% success so far. They outscored their opponents averagely 29.3 points. Especially, France and Spain wins abroad and Lithuania win at home are notable potential indicators for this team. Mustafa Kurtuldum and Ömer Yasir Küçük didn't play in the tournament held in France due to injuries. Hopefully, we will be a major force in this generation. All I see is domination in these guys up to now.
                  Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

• Turkish U-14 championship is over and Fenerbahçe won it all, thanks to great games of Berkay Yılmaz 03' born guard. 18 points aganist Efes in semi, 27 points in final aganist Daçka.. There are other talents not only İstanbul teams but also the teams from Anatolia which is great. İt seems this generation (03') has also huge potential as 2001-2002 generations.

Comment

• What's wrong with Eray Akyüz?He is totally out of shape lately and he was not that good at u-18 tourney.He was perfect at TBL almost whole year.Despite that his young age he has scored double figure points in so many games throughout the year. TBL is a really tough and challenging league for a guy who is 2000 year born boy.Supreme level talent especially his driving skills flawless. He's a skillful jack of all trades and seems extremely confident on the court most likely best Turkish pg prospect right now.

Turkish basketball desperetly needs a top level guard for years and he is first candidate to fill the void.I hope he will be back on track soon.I heard of so many praise about Ömer Yasit Küçük but never watched him.

We will have great versatile swingmans in the near future.Look at those boys our talent drough will be over soon, just lacks of top level pg that's why I stressing importance of pg spot.

Furkan-Egehan-Bitim-Taşkiran
                      Cedi-Okben-Tolga

Comment

• Originally posted by c-myers View Post
                        What's wrong with Eray Akyüz?He is totally out of shape lately and he was not that good at u-18 tourney.He was perfect at TBL almost whole year.Despite that his young age he has scored double figure points in so many games throughout the year. TBL is a really tough and challenging league for a guy who is 2000 year born boy.Supreme level talent especially his driving skills flawless. He's a skillful jack of all trades and seems extremely confident on the court most likely best Turkish pg prospect right now.

Turkish basketball desperetly needs a top level guard for years and he is first candidate to fill the void.I hope he will be back on track soon.I heard of so many praise about Ömer Yasit Küçük but never watched him.

We will have great versatile swingmans in the near future.Look at those boys our talent drough will be over soon, just lacks of top level pg that's why I stressing importance of pg spot.

Furkan-Egehan-Bitim-Taşkiran
                        Cedi-Okben-Tolga
                        What's wrong? Nothing is wrong I am quite content with the performance of Akyüz this season and one average U-Tournament performance doesn't take anything from this consideration, since this guy already proved very valuable things in TBL as you said. He at least had 10 great games where he signalized his game against experienced players in league at the age of 16. If he eventually can improve his consistency, then he will be a great acquisition for us, is going to slip on the NT jersey for years. There are some decisive career stages in front of him, needs to advance all these stages singly without being misdirected. He is the main candidate who may put an end to the eternal Turkish PG problem, already the projected player of the federation as well. As long as, he turns the combination of regular playing time at senior level and good coaching into an opportunity, he will keep on going in the right direction. It is a big luxury and opportunity to have convincing minutes in a competitive league in where the teams are filling their guard rotations with foreign and more-senior level ready players. He is already the youngest player of TBL among players who have made notable contributions through season.
                        Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

• Fresh news, Erxhan Osmani ('98 - PF) of Banvit will be Turkish citizen soon. It is a great news when one thinks how desperately drought our PF rotation is. He is not a stretch four, being 2.08, superb mobile PF that can also cover C, likes to play with featuring his physical tools, enough athletic, average passer and most importantly has a huge wingspan that having a huge defensive potential in stock! Hopefully, he will get Turkish passport as soon as possible so that he can play in Turkish U-20 NT next summer. International game experience is what he is missing for now, he is consequently not a well-known player among scouts, he is the hidden gem of Turkish basketball as long as potential goes.
                          Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

• Originally posted by slice me nice View Post
                            Levenspiel, actually these players have already played in two preparation tournaments together. They won 10 out of 10 games, playing with 100% success so far. They outscored their opponents averagely 29.3 points. Especially, France and Spain wins abroad and Lithuania win at home are notable potential indicators for this team. Mustafa Kurtuldum and Ömer Yasir Küçük didn't play in the tournament held in France due to injuries. Hopefully, we will be a major force in this generation. All I see is domination in these guys up to now.
                            - Im?genes propiedad de BasketCantera.TV CANAL http://basketcantera.tv/ : V?DEOS y Streaming, Formaci?n, Talento, Futuro, Highlights, Prospects...1.600 V?de

Comment

• thank you very much, roloj!
                              i only need to figure out who is who, but that will be a nice puzzle

Comment

• Yavuz Gultekin, one of my favorites players of 2000 generation going to the States Next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information