X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 World Championship

TUR - Turkey hit stretch run for 2010 FIBA World Championship

GENEVA (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Over the weekend in Geneva, Spain edged out Italy and China in the race to host the 2014 FIBA World Championship.

Before that big basketball extravaganza, however, Turkey will stage the 2010 event.

Turkish Basketball Federation president Turgay Demirel admits it has been a huge undertaking to get ready for the sport’s premier international competition with 24 teams from around the globe taking part in the FIBA World Championship.

Demirel was also in Geneva to meet with the FIBA Central Board and he spoke to Jeff Taylor for FIBA.com.

FIBA: Turgay, time flies. The FIBA World Championship in your country is quickly approaching. Tell us about the whole process of getting ready for the event.

Demirel: It’s the best and most important event of FIBA, and we have the responsibility to do it perfect. Every year, the level is increasing – both the level of organization and the level of basketball. In Turkey, some people might remember the European Championship we held in 2001. In that European Championship, we did a perfect job and everybody that was a part of it enjoyed the basketball and enjoyed being a part of it. We’re trying to exceed that level next year, and not only during the World Championship but before and after we want to use this as a dynamic for improving basketball not only in Turkey but in neighbouring countries. This is a big task for us. Our team is working very hard for this, with promoting basketball, with getting young people into our sport. That’s one of the main goals during this organization.

FIBA: Why should a fan go to Turkey next year to watch this FIBA World Championship? Talk a little about where the games are going to be held and what else there is to do in Turkey.

Demirel: Turkey is one of the best destinations for tourism in the world, in the top 10. So Turkey always expects a lot of tourists. This time, we will combine tourism with basketball. I’m sure that from all over Europe, all of the countries that are playing in the tournament and even some countries that are playing in the tournament but are lovers of basketball, will travel to Turkey to watch the games in Antalya, Izmir, Ankara and Istanbul, where the Finals will be played. So we will have programs for all the fans who are there to support their teams. As you know, the United States as Olympic winners are one of the teams in the tournament and Turkey as hosts. The other four (wild cards) will be determined in the (FIBA) Central Board meeting in Izmir in December. So we will only be able to know all of the 24 teams in December. Then we will have the draw and find out which teams will play in which group in which city. All those things have been planned and we have some agreements with ticketing companies so we will have a pool for fans who want to come. As soon as their countries’ groups and cities are known, they will be able to purchase those tickets. So we will welcome all of these fans for this two-week event into Turkey.

FIBA: What has been the biggest challenge to get all of this ready? Has it been getting the arenas built or other infrastructure issues?

Demirel: Yes, it was the venues. We want to leave a legacy after the tournament is over and we have projected some new arenas in Ankara, in Antalya, also in Istanbul. Those will be finished. There have been some difficulties because of political changes and there have been municipality changes. Turkey is a well known country for construction, and they are working fast and hard so we will not have any problems. We will have all of our test events beginning of next spring. I must say the biggest challenge was the venues.

FIBA: We all loved watching Turkey play at the 2006 FIBA World Championship when they caught a lot of people by surprise. Are we going to see a good Turkey team next year?

Demirel: Well, during the European Championship (2001), we played in the title game because of a lot of spectator support and due to a lot of motivation for the players. They did a great job. The next year, our first appearance in a FIBA World Championship in Indianapolis, Turkey did a great job by finishing in ninth place. And then in Japan, as you said, we had a young team and surprised many participants by achieving sixth place and playing well in every game until the end. We want to have a similar team in Istanbul with the support of the fans. We want to have a better position than the last team and I’m sure the kids, the players, will be successful. We are hoping that we’ll have no injuries and have our best players on the court when we go up against the best athletes in the world.

FIBA: Hedo Turgoglu, a Turkey national team star, has been incredible in the NBA this season with the Orlando Magic, particularly in the play-offs. There must be a big buzz about him in Turkey.

Demirel: Hedo’s the leader of our team. He’s having a tremendous season and I’m actually leaving (Saturday May 23) to go and watch his two games at home (against the Cleveland Cavaliers) to support him. We are expecting him to participate in our camp this summer and to play in the European Championship but more important than that is next year’s World Championship.

FIBA: So you are going to Orlando to see Hedo now? Who is going to pick up the dinner tab? Will he pay for dinner or you?

Demirel: (Smiling) He pays for dinner. Actually, on Monday night, he’ll take us out for dinner but I’m sure he’ll want us to host it.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

PR N°22 - Official website of the 2010 FIBA World Championship launched

GENEVA (2010 FIBA World Championship) - FIBA, in cooperation with the Turkish Basketball Federation, announces the launching of turkey2010.fiba.com, the official website for the FIBA 2010 World Championship for Men that will take place in Turkey from 28th August to 12th September 2010.

The official website of the world's most important basketball event in 2010 is available in both English (turkey2010.fiba.com/eng) and Turkish language (turkey2010.fiba.com/tur).

turkey2010.fiba.com includes all-event related information on FIBA's premier championship and will offer, during the competition itself, in-depth coverage of the 2010 FIBA World Championship, including game previews, live results and stats of all games, game reports, hundreds of action photos, exclusive interviews and blogs.

In addition, during the 2009 Continental Championships qualifying to Turkey 2010 and during the FIBA World Championship itself, thanks to FIBA's recent agreement with Perform, basketball enthusiasts logging on turkey2010.fiba.com will be able to access live and on demand streaming of the games, as well as 90-second highlight clips, video interviews and features.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Wait for Lebanon cuz we are coming to Turkey very soon as the Champions of Asia

Comment

Teams who are in

Turkey
        USA
        Australia
        New Zealand

(...stupid Oceania system )

Any bets on who will be the other 20 teams to make it?
        Last edited by Dtown; 07-27-2009, 09:03 PM.
        Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
          Teams who are in

Turkey
          USA
          Australia
          New Zealand

Any bets on who will be the other 16 teams to make it?
          Lebanon will be there as asian champions GOOOO LEBANON =)

Comment

Teams who are in

Turkey
            USA
            Australia
            New Zealand

Any bets on who will be the other 20 teams to make it?
            I'd guess like that:

Asia: China, Lebanon, Iran
            Africa: Angola, Nigeria, Senegal
            Americas: Brasil, Argentina, Puerto-Rico, Dominican Rep.
            Europe: Spain, Slovenia, Croatia, Greece, Lithuania, France
            Wldcards: hard to guess now, but somehow I'm sure that Russia will get one, cause they didn't get it 4 years back, then a lot will depend on results in continental champs

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
              I'd guess like that:

Asia: China, Lebanon, Iran
              Africa: Angola, Nigeria, Senegal
              Americas: Brasil, Argentina, Puerto-Rico, Dominican Rep.
              Europe: Spain, Slovenia, Croatia, Greece, Lithuania, France
              Wldcards: hard to guess now, but somehow I'm sure that Russia will get one, cause they didn't get it 4 years back, then a lot will depend on results in continental champs
              hmm hard to argue with any of those, though if Italy beats France I think they'll qualify instead. I did have Great Britain as a dark horse qualifier but with Deng injured and Gordon declining again they probably won't muster a win.

Along with Russia, if they don't automatically qualify Serbia might be a safe bet as well for a wild card.

Comment

Along with Russia, if they don't automatically qualify Serbia might be a safe bet as well for a wild card.
                How about Canada
                Also Mexico now they have Najera and Earl watson playing together

or Italy

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                  How about Canada

or Italy
                  I don't believe if Italy loses to France they would be eligible. I think you at least have to compete in your regions qualifying tournament to be eligible for a wild card. Now if they beat France, then don't qualify automatically then yeah they'd probably be a high choice.

Comment

Might be, but actually if they again will show nothing in this EC (atleast 1/4), they just don't deserve it, cause besides the historical achievements, they did nothing in last 6 years, but of course FIBA might think different. Also they already have got the wildcard in 2006, but it was expected and quite deserved, cause they're world champs

How about Canada

or Italy
                    Italy maybe, as Dtown already wrote, they need to get into EC first, if they'll fail, I doubt they'll get it. I assume if there will be no major upsets in continental champs, Europe will get 3 wildcards and 1 will be given to some team from other continent, cause I hardly see Europe getting all 4, atleast smth unexpected happens. From Europe without those teams I already mentioned as possible qualifiers (except France) - Russia, Germany stands first in my list, then France/Italy and maybe only then Serbia.
                    Regarding Canada and Mexico, I hardly see them as candidates for wildcard.
                    Anyway upcoming continental champs will probably answer lot of questions regarding it

Comment

The criteria for the Wild Cards
                      1. In order to be invited the team must have participated in the 2009 FIBA Zone Qualifying Championship.
                      2. There can be a maximum of three teams from any one FIBA Zone.

Together with the above two criteria, FIBA shall take into consideration the following aspects:

Sporting Aspects
                      - Popularity of basketball in the country
                      - Quality and sporting results of the national team of the country
                      - Quality of work by the National Federation

Economic Aspects
                      - Involvement of local television and/or competitions in domestic and international basketball
                      - Importance of country to FIBA's marketing and television partners
                      - Importance of country to the Organizers of the World Championship
                      From http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/eng...962/index.html

So Europe gets 3 max, and the loser between France and Italy is out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                        Regarding Canada and Mexico, I hardly see them as candidates for wildcard.
                        Anyway upcoming continental champs will probably answer lot of questions regarding it
                        I totally disagree with Mindozas.

Europe can't get all the wild cards, so I think that maybe Mexico and especially Canada have a chance if they don't qualify for the World Championship. what other non-European team you guys think should get it

African Teams just don't have the level and neither do most Asian teams.

maybe, Japan, Korea and The philippines , because of Marketing, tradition, and importance of the sport in those countries.
                        Last edited by Lewis; 07-30-2009, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I totally disagree with Mindozas.

Europe can't get all the wild cards, so I think that maybe Mexico and especially Canada have a chance if they don't qualify for the World Championship. what other non-European team you guys think should get it

African Team just don't have the level and neither do most Asian teams.

maybe, Japan, Korea and The philippines , because of Marketing, tradition, and importance of the sport in those countries.
                          Yeah, now when Dtown posted those rules, it's obvious that Europe won't get 4 wildcards, so even all the big contenders from each continent will qualify, Europe will get only 3 of them, so it gives Canada a chance, but for Mexico I see no chances at all. Canada overcomes them in every wildcards' criteria, so as you wrote Canada, Japan, Korea might be candidates then.

Comment

I'd give Canada better odds than Mexico due to better history and affiliation with the NBA. Though if Canada bombs in the tournament and Mexico does well it might change some minds.

After Canada I'd say Japan, Korea, and the Philippines have the best shot for the last spot.

For reference last tournament had (3 wild cards for Europe, 1 for the Americas)
                            9 European
                            6 American
                            4 Asian
                            3 African
                            2 Oceanian

Comment

I'd give Canada better odds than Mexico due to better history and affiliation with the NBA. Though if Canada bombs in the tournament and Mexico does well it might change some minds.

After Canada I'd say Japan, Korea, and the Philippines have the best shot for the last spot.

For reference last tournament had (3 wild cards for Europe, 1 for the Americas)
                              9 European
                              6 American
                              4 Asian
                              3 African
                              2 Oceanian
                              with way Japan played in this Asian tournament, now that'd be pretty odd
                              Jordan, korea, and China Taipei improve their chances, IMO, and obviously Iran (if doesn't qualify)

Let's see how the Americas Tournament plays out

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information