No announcement yet.

NCAA Season 85 (2009-2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you ask me I think members of the NCAA MANCOM is giving PCU an even chance of coming back. I do feel some of the members have a soft heart for the Dolphins and would hate them to really go. By accepting a new member it would make it harder for PCU to rejoin. Also heard another former member Trinity has sent feelers that they want to come back.

And there are two major events that struck the 2 leading contenders which might affect their competiveness.

For the Arellano University Chiefs they are about to lose their Head Coach, Leo Isaac who has signed-up with Barako Bull in the PBA. This somewhat demoralized the team which made them loose their NCRAA Championship.

For the Emilio Aguinaldo College-Manila Generals, they lost their prize Cameroonian import Emmanuel Mbe which resulted in their Head Coach, Nomar Isla, resigning.
    LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
    Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Wednesday, February 04, 2009

PSC offers RMSC venues to country’s top collegiate leagues
      By Jelly F. Musico

MANILA, Feb. 4 (PNA) -– If plans materialize, the seven-decade old Rizal Memorial Sports Complex will serve as permanent home for the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) starting this 2009 season.

Newly-appointed Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) chairman Harry Angping revealed on Wednesday that he is offering the RMSC’s two basketball courts -- Ninoy Aquino Stadium and Rizal Memorial Coliseum -- to the UAAP and NCAA, the country’s top collegiate leagues.

”I’m going to talk to the officials of these two leagues and if they will agree, we will renovate the Ninoy Aquino Stadium and Rizal Memorial Coliseum. We will replace the floor and put new airconditioning unit,” Angping said in a media interview three days after he formally replaced former chairman William ‘Butch’ Ramirez.

When asked where to get the budget for the refurbishment, Angping answered “I’m a businessman” and added that a P100-million standby fund from the Land Bank of the Philippines can be used for the project.

”We want to make the sports complex a center of sports excellence and since UAAP and NCAA have no permanent home, we can offer it to them,” the former Manila congressman said.

In 2007, the PSC was supposed to renovate the Rizal Memorial Coliseum for NCAA but Ramirez failed to raise the needed funds for the purchase of airconditioning system.

Angping also plans to remove the bar and restaurants occupying the sports complex’s establishments facing the Harisson Plaza.

”We will instead offer these establishments to the fastfood chains and other businesses like National Book Store and drug stores where our athletes can get 10 percent discounts. We want to maximize the usefulness of the complex and make it an income-generating facilities,” Angping said.

Aside from basketball courts, the RMSC has other facilities that include the 30,000-capacity track and football stadium and venues for badminton, gymnastics, swimming, baseball, wushu, boxing, pencak silat, tennis, taekwondo and Philippine Center for Sports Medicine.

Located along Pablo Ocampo (formerly Vito Cruz) St. in Malate, the RMSC was built in 1934 for the Far Eastern Championship Games and was named after the country’s national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal.

It was used for the hosting of 1954 Asian Games and three Southeast Asian Games, to include the year 2005 when the Philippines emerged overall champion for the first time in the history of the biennial event.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
      THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• I hope I'm wrong, but I have some reservations about Sudan Daniel's attittude, and thus SBC's ability to win a fourth straight title:

http://www.philstar.com/ArticlePrint...ticleId=440212

Lions Go 'Four-ward' Sans Two Key Players

Updated February 14, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The San Beda Red Lions are looking “four-ward” to extending their NCAA reign this year.

And although they lose two key players from their 2008 champion team, San Beda coach Frankie Lim feels they have a strong chance of stretching their dynasty this coming season.

“Sam Ekwe has graduated and Pong Escobal is now with Talk N’ Text. They are two starters we lost,” said Lim, who called the shots for the team in its last two championships.

“But despite this, I feel we’re still be competitive this year,” he added.

Lim said he’s pinning his hopes on American Sudan Daniels, who he expects will pick up the slack left by Ekwe, the 6-foot-9 Nigerian who was a former two-time MVP and one-time Finals MVP in his three years with the Lions.

Lim said the team will start practicing on Monday and will go to Indiana this summer not just to train but to also enhance team chemistry.

“I’m going to meet them on Monday, our first practice day of the year together. I feel excited to see them back. The players, particularly those who played in the PBL, are excited to play together again,” Lim said.

“We’re also planning to go to the United States this summer. It’s going to be in Indiana.”

Talented guard Borgie Hermida will also return after undergoing surgery last December to repair his torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) he sustained in the Champions League.

Lim said he sees the Jose Rizal Bombers, runners-up last season, and the new-look San Sebastian Stags as the biggest thorns in their four-peat quest.

“I saw them play in the Fr. Martin’s Cup. They have another big African guy and he looks good. I think they would have the strongest lineup this year,” he said.

“San Sebastian has improved because they have a new coach in Ato Agustin and they have new recruits. They’ll be better this year,” he added. – Joey Villar
        Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

• Here is Norman Penola's highlight video at Youtube:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8RXCoV4Nw8
          Last edited by rhk111; 02-18-2009, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• * I don't know what's happening with Ogie, but I think going to the PBA now is not a good decision for him. Worst, is that the kid may end up throwing away his career as a player. 'Baka maaga malaos iyan,' and eventually we'll be seeing him in Liga Pilipinas.

* He is a promising player, strong and athletic, but his game is really not yet ready for the pros. I feel that his offense lacks variety in that he doesn't have a good, perimter game. Just keep him out of the open court, and keep him from penetrating to the basket, and he will be gone for the rest of the evening. True, he has a three point shot, but its not really that consistent. If he's lucky one night from three-point land, he'll be gone for the next couple of games from that area.

* His performance in the PBL has not really been that impressive. True, he did topscore his team with 12.9 ppg, but let's face it, Paul Lee on his rookie season in the PBL was a lot more impressive than him. Even Dylan Ababou had better numbers than him with 14 point-somethng ppg (I think). He did not get any major accomplishments in the PBL, nor did he lead his team to any championships.

* In the NCAA, he won Finals MVP two years ago, but was not as visible last season. In the coming season, he is supposed to be the team's leader, a lot of opportunities for him to shine and possibly help the RL to another championship. But its a sink or swim situation for him: Being leader of the squad, he could improve his game and become a hero, or perhaps fail to lead the team and thus expose more his weaknesses as a player.

* It seems like he's burning bridges with Frankie Lim and SBC by the way he issued those statements in the PDI interview, so expecting Frankie to find a home for him despite his not-so-stellar PBL performance is a bit hazy at this point. I think he will be picked, though, by the nature of his athleticism. But whether he will have a long, even medium term PBA career is not so clear. Every year, some younger player from here or abroad is out to take his place. I think Paul Lee is a better prospect than him in about 2-3 years, for example. So it will be a long struggle for him to find a place in the PBA.

Comment

• Menor quits San Beda 5
              By Cedelf P. Tupas
              First Posted 03:19:00 02/23/2009

MANILA, Philippines—Highly touted amateur standout Ogie Menor on Sunday said pressure from school officials to sign up with the national team of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas made him decide to forego his final year of eligibility with three-time NCAA defending champion San Beda College.

Menor, who played a major role in the Lions’ amazing run the past three years, had earlier said he was passing up his final year so he could join the Philippine Basketball Association rookie draft.

“I love the school but so many things I don’t like are happening already,” Menor, who rejected the contract offered by the SBP two weeks ago, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer Sunday.

“I really wanted to represent the country. But the contract did not have any guarantees so I decided to join the PBA draft.”

Menor’s refusal to sign the contract reportedly did not sit well with the school, whose basketball program is funded by SBP president Manny V. Pangilinan.

San Beda coach Frankie Lim hopes that Menor, the 2007 NCAA Finals Most Valuable Player, reconsiders his decision.

“It’s not a matter of convincing him, but it’s about making the right decision,” said Lim. “It’s his choice, but I would encourage him to stay [in San Beda]. And if he goes with the national team, he’ll have lots of exposure.”

Originally posted by rhk111 View Post
              * I don't know what's happening with Ogie, but I think going to the PBA now is not a good decision for him. Worst, is that the kid may end up throwing away his career as a player. 'Baka maaga malaos iyan,' and eventually we'll be seeing him in Liga Pilipinas.

* He is a promising player, strong and athletic, but his game is really not yet ready for the pros. I feel that his offense lacks variety in that he doesn't have a good, perimter game. Just keep him out of the open court, and keep him from penetrating to the basket, and he will be gone for the rest of the evening. True, he has a three point shot, but its not really that consistent. If he's lucky one night from three-point land, he'll be gone for the next couple of games from that area.

* His performance in the PBL has not really been that impressive. True, he did topscore his team with 12.9 ppg, but let's face it, Paul Lee on his rookie season in the PBL was a lot more impressive than him. Even Dylan Ababou had better numbers than him with 14 point-somethng ppg (I think). He did not get any major accomplishments in the PBL, nor did he lead his team to any championships.

* In the NCAA, he won Finals MVP two years ago, but was not as visible last season. In the coming season, he is supposed to be the team's leader, a lot of opportunities for him to shine and possibly help the RL to another championship. But its a sink or swim situation for him: Being leader of the squad, he could improve his game and become a hero, or perhaps fail to lead the team and thus expose more his weaknesses as a player.

* It seems like he's burning bridges with Frankie Lim and SBC by the way he issued those statements in the PDI interview, so expecting Frankie to find a home for him despite his not-so-stellar PBL performance is a bit hazy at this point. I think he will be picked, though, by the nature of his athleticism. But whether he will have a long, even medium term PBA career is not so clear. Every year, some younger player from here or abroad is out to take his place. I think Paul Lee is a better prospect than him in about 2-3 years, for example. So it will be a long struggle for him to find a place in the PBA.

Am also not comfortable on recent developments on Menor. But Ogie, Rico Maierhoffer and Marcy Arellano are now under Charlie Dy and he is now dictating the direction these three players would be going. His connection as a Player Agent to the different PBA teams has assured the players and their families to trust this guy. Charlie was very instrumental in getting good contracts for a number of players he is handling and we'll see in due time if these three players with Ogie in particular made a good decision or not.
              Last edited by nardy; 02-23-2009, 09:19 AM.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
              THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
                Am also not comfortable on recent developments on Menor. But Ogie, Rico Maierhoffer and Marcy Arellano are now under Charlie Dy and he is now dictating the direction these three players would be going. His connection as a Player Agent to the different PBA teams has assured the players and their families to trust this guy. Charlie was very instrumental in getting good contracts for a number of players he is handling and we'll see in due time if these three players with Ogie in particular made a good decision or not.
                Well, having a good, well-connected agent is okay, but in the end, a player will still have to play well out there in the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhk111 View Post
                  Well, having a good, well-connected agent is okay, but in the end, a player will still have to play well out there in the court.
                  From LION on the Gameface.ph forums:

Originally posted by LION

I got information that Ogie is not even aware of the PDI interview. He does not remember being interviewed on the matter. One person comes to mind - Charlie Dy.

Deja vu. Remember the press release when Ogie spent a night in Taft? A press release is one way of making a person to unknowinlgy commit, to draw the battle line. A scenario is being set up which would place Ogie in a point of no return.

Oh well....
                  Keep running, big boy.

Comment

• looks like somebody needs to watch jerry maguire and coach carter
                    you know why I am happy

Comment

• Guys, do u know where I can contact the Red Lions coaching staff? like there e-mail ad or phone #.....Is their any website?

Comment

• Originally posted by rhk111 View Post
                        * I don't know what's happening with Ogie, but I think going to the PBA now is not a good decision for him. Worst, is that the kid may end up throwing away his career as a player. 'Baka maaga malaos iyan,' and eventually we'll be seeing him in Liga Pilipinas.

the guy thinks he's Lebron James..let's just wish him well
                        "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• if only Ogie Menor could jump higher with spring in his legs like Harvey Carey....otherwise, he'll just end up like his brothers? or cousins? got drafted but never get to play
                          SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

• even if Menor would sign the SBP contract, I wouldn't consider him for the final 12...
                            SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

• Originally posted by alex15 View Post
                              Guys, do u know where I can contact the Red Lions coaching staff? like there e-mail ad or phone #.....Is their any website?

I sent you a private message, alex15.

Comment

• Originally posted by bolabasket View Post
                                even if Menor would sign the SBP contract, I wouldn't consider him for the final 12...
                                But coach Rajko Toroman, who is one of the best in appreciating talent, badly wanted to sign him. Menor was a starter and finisher for Toroman and played a very crucial role in a tournament they recently won.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information