NCAA Season 85 (2009-2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Season 85 (2009-2010)

The NCAA Season 84 (2008-2009) is over, with the San Beda Red Lions winning a rare Three-peat grandslam championship. Most of the discussions in the previous NCAA Season 84 thread was more on the next season, hence I'm opening this thread.

The biggest news to me, is that it seems JRU will be fielding in a 7-foot African player next season according to news reports. Will San Beda still be able to win a fourth straight championship, then? Will the athletic, perimeter-playing "Superdan" help San Beda win a championship next year?
    Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Originally posted by rhk111
    The biggest news to me, is that it seems JRU will be fielding in a 7-foot African player next season according to news reports. Will San Beda still be able to win a fourth straight championship, then? Will the athletic, perimeter-playing "Superdan" help San Beda win a championship next year?

Is that the 6-10 fil-american-nigerian (doubtful) they are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by onono1
      Is that the 6-10 fil-american-nigerian (doubtful) they are talking about.
      Nope.

Originally posted by nardy
      Jose Rizal University, losing finalist in the just-concluded 84th edition of NCAA has tapped a lanky Cameroonian center who could fill the void left by Jayson Nocom and Maui Pradas.

According to Heavy Bombers’ head coach Ariel Vanguardia, Etame Joe is a legitimate seven-footer who could add depth in the Bombers frontline.

Though they are still working on some rough edges of his game, his willingness to learn could be a factor that might give them their first title since 1972.

Joe came from the same village that produced Nchotu John Njei, the Heavy Bombers’ energetic rookie who almost spoiled the Red Lions’ third consecutive title.

“Yes, he’ll be playing next year,” Vanguardia said. “He is not yet a polished player, but he’s getting better everyday. We’ll be losing two key players and with him, hopefully, we can win whatever we lost this year.”
      LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
      Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
      THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nardy
        Jose Rizal University, losing finalist in the just-concluded 84th edition of NCAA has tapped a lanky Cameroonian center who could fill the void left by Jayson Nocom and Maui Pradas.

According to Heavy Bombers’ head coach Ariel Vanguardia, Etame Joe is a legitimate seven-footer who could add depth in the Bombers frontline.

Though they are still working on some rough edges of his game, his willingness to learn could be a factor that might give them their first title since 1972.

Joe came from the same village that produced Nchotu John Njei, the Heavy Bombers’ energetic rookie who almost spoiled the Red Lions’ third consecutive title.

“Yes, he’ll be playing next year,” Vanguardia said. “He is not yet a polished player, but he’s getting better everyday. We’ll be losing two key players and with him, hopefully, we can win whatever we lost this year.”
        this will improve the competition in the NCAA. I still remember before. when ekwe was just a rookie most NCAA players are to hesitant to shoot, too afraid everytime they saw ekwe.
        #parasabayan
        #GoGilas

Comment

Originally posted by ricodgame
          this will improve the competition in the NCAA. I still remember before. when ekwe was just a rookie most NCAA players are to hesitant to shoot, too afraid everytime they saw ekwe.
          but my concern is foriegn players do win the MVP awards and most of them (like EKWE) dominate the game and not our local cagers... i do hope that we learn from these guys so we can dominate our own league, it's a shame that we can't dominate our own league...
          CONSISTENCY is what TRANSFORM average into excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by its_eman8211
            but my concern is foriegn players do win the MVP awards and most of them (like EKWE) dominate the game and not our local cagers... i do hope that we learn from these guys so we can dominate our own league, it's a shame that we can't dominate our own league...
            KDP did that last year and oh the UAAP has a long history of foreigners in their line ups and still the locals still who becomes the mvp
            you know why I am happy

Comment

If this Etame Joe is really a seven-footer (there are reports he is only 6'8"), and the 6'11" Jericho De Guzman plays for the SSC Stags next season, then that will be one of the tallest season lineups in NCAA history. Plus add in "Superdan". who is reportedly 6'8".

Comment

Originally posted by rhk111
                If this Etame Joe is really a seven-footer (there are reports he is only 6'8"), and the 6'11" Jericho De Guzman plays for the SSC Stags next season, then that will be one of the tallest season lineups in NCAA history. Plus add in "Superdan". who is reportedly 6'8".
                is this guy related to Vladimir Joe?

"I have to tell you now, you take your final vow! Don't wait for me to lay my hands on you!"
                -MAY THE STALLIONFORCE BE WITH YOU

Comment

we'll finally see Jericho De Guzman play next season. Lets see how the training in US does wonder for him. Remember he was a member of a Methodist basketball team(sorry i dont know the exact name of the school) he was red shirt for a season.

San Beda will have a hard time to repeat next season. with the departure of Ekwe and Escobal, things might be different. Not unless another nigerian name Udo will replace Ekwe at Center slot of Red Lions.
                  Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer
                    we'll finally see Jericho De Guzman play next season. Lets see how the training in US does wonder for him. Remember he was a member of a Methodist basketball team(sorry i dont know the exact name of the school) he was red shirt for a season.

San Beda will have a hard time to repeat next season. with the departure of Ekwe and Escobal, things might be different. Not unless another nigerian name Udo will replace Ekwe at Center slot of Red Lions.
                    emeka is quite weak under the paint compared to sam thus a big void in the middle like what happened in the game 2 of SBC-JRU finals
                    you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by amamangloy
                      is this guy related to Vladimir Joe?
                      No, but he may be related to Joe Lipa.

Comment

Its not surprising for foreign big men to dominate NCAA or other local colleges/amateur leagues. Take for example Sam Ekwe, a 6-8 nigerian behemoth, well-built and strong inside the paint, towering and dominating against smaller and leaner filipinos. Well, african players are naturally athletics and strong unlike asians (except china & middle east) who are genetically small w/ frail body not noted for their athleticism.

Comment

the initial purpose of importing players before is to improve the way local players play. For players to improvise thier play in order to defy the dominance of the foreign players. Problem occured when Coaches depended so much on the imported players and designed majority of the plays on the import and forgeting to give importance to the local players. The way it happens the players became mere spectators as they just stand around and make the import do everything. I do hope the coaches does not fall into this kind of habit again.

I do remember there was a time imports like Cyrus Mann of Crispa would block almost all lay-ups and this challenged Francis Arnaiz of Toyota to perfect his floating finger roll, a shot that's really hard to block since it floats really high. Or who can forget the turn around jumpers which Atoy Co has to develop or the of the boarding bank-shots of mastered by Freddie Hubalde. How Philip Cezar, Abe King and Chito Loyzaga improved thier defense because they are the ones guarding the other team's 2nd import. So players must take the recruitment of foreign players as a challenge for them to improve thier game. Remember for the longest time European Leagues hire import American Players but after the players began improving thier game then it was the NBA who were importing players from Europe. Filipino players are a long way from that, it would take so much hard work but it is not impossible.

Since there are going to be more foreign players in the NCAA, I feel they should give a different award for the foreign player (like a Best Import or something like that) and reserve the MVP to a local player.
                          LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                          Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                          THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

I've seen the JRU african recruit at the Cuneta and he's nowhere near 7 feet.

He's a couple of inches taller than Sena so he should be about 6'7" to 6'8" and he also appears much slimmer than Ekwe.

Etame Joe is included in JRU's Team B playing in the FMC tournament and they are not doing very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer

team insiders at SSC still cant say for sure if JDG is playing for SSC next year
                              Philippine Basketball Review

Cebu Travel Blog

Team Building Services in Cebu

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information