Rony Fahed 14Points+5Rebounds+7Assists
    Mazen Hneimneh 10Points+4Rebounds

2006.12.14,Lebanon 88-82 Syria
    [12-12,27-21,32-16,17-23]
    Joseph Vogel 31Points+9Rebounds+1Assists+1Steals+3Blcoks
    Hussein Tawbe 19Points+17Rebounds+3Assists+1Steals
    Mazen Hneimneh 18Points+8Rebounds+1Steals
    Ali Mahmoud 12Points+7Rebounds+13Assists+3Steals
    Last edited by Kings; 12-14-2006, 11:56 AM.

with all the things that r going on know in leb
    i doubt we going to the WC

Comment

Lebanon basketball coach Paul Coughter admits his stranded squad is in "the worst-case scenario" after Israeli military attacks left preparations for next month's FIBA World Championship in disarray.

Lebanese basketball officials have been left stranded in the aftermath of Israeli attacks as they seek to leave the country, and Coughter is hoping for a quick resolution.

"Our intentions are to leave on Sunday. Clearly the events will dictate our actions, so it's anybody's guess," Coughter told PA Sport. "After the initial (Israeli) actions we attempted to continue our training. But the players were obviously distracted. So we did the only human thing there was to do and released them to their families."

That was on Friday - after just one week of preparations consisting of strength training, conditioning and practice sessions.

"Clearly this is a major interruption," the coach said. "We've had four days of practice. How do you think we'll do?"

Coughter refused to speculate on how the events could impact his team in Japan, saying only: "I can't imagine what it will be like if things worsen inside the country while we're not there."

Coughter is one of the most travelled and experienced coaches in the world, playing, coaching or working at coaching clinics in 132 countries on six continents. But even he has been shook by the current events in Lebanon.

"In 37 years overseas, this is obviously the scariest time," he said. "I hear F-16s flying over, and that's not the Lebanese Air Force.

"Nobody knows what will happen. There's the worst case scenario, and you back track from there. This is definitely unprecedented for me."

Coughter said dealing with the uncertainty is the most difficult part of all this.

"The sense of powerlessness is the worst thing, especially if you're a control freak like me."

The Lebanese national team hoped to leave the troubled country this weekend by bus and travel to Syria for the Borislav Stankovic Cup as they prepare for next month`s FIBA World Championship in Japan. But with Israeli war jets continuing bombing attacks, including hitting important roadways surrounding the northern city of Tripoli, any moves to leave Lebanon look futile.

Besides the Beirut Airport being all but useless after a series of bombings, the main road from the Lebanese capital Beirut to the Syrian capital Damascus has already been bombed and is too dangerous to pass.

"The worst part is that the airport has been bombed. And now the roads and bridges are being hit. They're trying to make the cities into islands," Raffy Kadiam of the Federation of Lebanese Basketball told PA Sport.

"The trip through Tripoli would mean two additional hours. That was a safer way, but they hit that area today [Saturday]. They're trying to isolate us."

Should the Lebanese team and officials get from Beirut to Syria, they would then take a bus or train onto Turkey. Kadiam said the FLB president and secretary general were meeting to discuss the situation and how to best deal with it.

"We are lost frankly. If there is a way out we are okay. But they are bombing everywhere. Maybe tomorrow it will be the phones and cellular relays. We're ready for anything," Kadiam added.

Coughter's team, who are drawn in Group A with Serbia & Montenegro, Argentina, France, Nigeria and Venezuela, do not know if they can participate in a series of warm-up tournaments for Japan.

After the Borislav Stankovic Cup in Syria from July 20-27, they are then scheduled to train in Turkey for a week before playing in the Alpos Cup in Slovenia from August 3-8. After three or four days back in Beirut, the team planned on going to the Philippines for another training camp before heading directly to Japan for the World Championship.

For one of Cougher's star, Fadi El Khatib, the events are difficult to deal with.

"It's really hard on us. It's the worst thing that could have happened. My house is only one kilometre from the bombings yesterday (Friday)," he told PA Sport.

"I would like to try to drive to Dubai with my family, wife and son and put them in safety and then meet the team in Turkey. I can drive there (2,100 kilometres) in two days."

Kadiam said the FLB is aware that Khatib wants to leave town by car, but insists that the star guard must be in Beirut when the team leaves. Khatib would also face difficulties since the federation has his passport.

"He told us he was thinking of going but he was told he had to wait. He doesn't have a passport. We have them since we're getting the visas," Kadiam said.

As if to add insult to injury, the Lebanese could end of missing the Alpos Cup in Slovenia as the team's visas for Slovenia are in Cairo, Egypt.

"We need somebody to fly to Cairo. But that's a problem too because everyone in the area wants to escape," Kadiam said. "We were expecting a million tourists in Lebanon this summer, and half of them were already here and now they're escaping."

(Courtesy of PA Sport)
      Last edited by sinobball; 07-17-2006, 08:28 PM.
      aim low, score high

Comment

Now i know why Israel doesnt play in Asian Competitions...

Sad week for Lib... Hope they can still send their NT in WC...

and plus i want to see them play against RP team... 2 exhibition games... thats good!

Good luck to Lib!!!!
        You've got to have it to win it

Comment

I really feel bad for them, i believe that even if the players are able to leave their country i believe that their families wont be able to leave. so it really is hard to leave their families if ever they play overseas. I rily wish that they get to resolve their problems there or if ever that they get to move somewhere safer, so that they can play without any distractions. i believe that their problems are far worse than the RP's problems.

its a good thing terrorists here in the RP loves sports. basketball and boxing specifically. thats why i doubt that terrorists will bomb big events such as basketball, boxing or even wrestling events here in RP. hehehehe in other words im confident that terrorists has no intention of bombing the araneta coliseum. hahaha just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by asapa11
            I really feel bad for them, i believe that even if the players are able to leave their country i believe that their families wont be able to leave. so it really is hard to leave their families if ever they play overseas. I rily wish that they get to resolve their problems there or if ever that they get to move somewhere safer, so that they can play without any distractions. i believe that their problems are far worse than the RP's problems.

its a good thing terrorists here in the RP loves sports. basketball and boxing specifically. thats why i doubt that terrorists will bomb big events such as basketball, boxing or even wrestling events here in RP. hehehehe in other words im confident that terrorists has no intention of bombing the araneta coliseum. hahaha just a thought.
            dude terrorists are not bombing Lebanon... it is Israel's army...

Well Israel is not actually bombing the country Lib but the Aljaha.... what ever group it is....

And nothing's good with terrorists.... Well if the terrorists your talkin about are those ass seatin in malacanang and her bastard son and husband... then yes terrorists here in RP loves sports!!!!!

Hope peace comes to Lib and Israel tho.... and near by countires as well...

And lets just play sports!!!
            You've got to have it to win it

Comment

who do u mean by RP team?

Comment

Originally posted by YAROUNI10
                who do u mean by RP team?
                RP is short for Republic of the Philppines. Mostly known as Philippines to others, which is the short name.

I hope that the friendly series in Manila between Philippines and Lebanon would push though. I wanted to see Lebanon in the World's because I think this is the year that they can improve their winless campaign in 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by lrangels
                  RP is short for Republic of the Philppines. Mostly known as Philippines to others, which is the short name.

I hope that the friendly series in Manila between Philippines and Lebanon would push though. I wanted to see Lebanon in the World's because I think this is the year that they can improve their winless campaign in 2002.

ok thanks but..........
                  in 2002 we had alot of problems with the coach and the federation and even the players but this team is alot different they have the heart and the abillity and we have a chance to advance to the 2nd round (i know it the teams are good but we can win couple games ) one thing for sure we won't end up in last place

BTW y the RP didn't play in the asian championship
                  i don't follew their basketball but ppl tell me their level is high and better than most of the asians
                  Last edited by YAROUNI10; 07-21-2006, 11:07 PM.

Comment

As soon as their game ended; Under 14 players from Riyadi/Aramex and Fastlink clubs hurried to take pictures with Lebanon's National Team players and flocked their star players for autographs. The Lebanese National Team were finally able to leave their war-torn country on Thursday to continue their preparations for the FIBA World Championship. Coach Paul Coughter and his team had been stranded in Lebanon for five days but left by bus over the northern Lebanese border and drove through Syria southwards to Jordan, where they arrived a little before midnight.
                    The team will have two practice sessions daily until the 27th of July, and will head to Turkey for an international tournament.

Comment

Lebanese team finally depart

BEIRUT (FIBA World Championship) - The Lebanese national team were finally able to leave their war-torn country on Thursday to continue their preparations for the FIBA World Championship.

Coach Paul Coughter and his team had been stranded in Lebanon for five days but left by bus over the northern Lebanese border and were driving through Syria southwards to Jordan, where they would re-start their training camp in Amman.

Included on the bus were the wife and child of Lebanese star Fadi El Khatib, the only non-team passengers.

"From a basketball point of view, this is a nightmare," Coughter told the Berliner Zeitung.

"All of this is very difficult on all of us. There's a fine line between concern and fear. And many of our young players are scared of leaving their mothers and sisters behind in Lebanon."

Israel continued its attacks on the Lebanese capital and other regions of the country on Thursday.

Coughter, however, did not want to comment on the situation, saying: "I'm the last guy to talk about politics."

Michel Beyrouthy of the Federation of Lebanese Basketball said Coughter has his entire team with him with the exception of Paul Khoury.

The 38-year-old centre was still in Salt Lake City in the United States and plans to join the team later.

Beyrouthy explained the situation leaves the team not knowing what they can expect in Japan, where they will play in Group A against defending world champions Serbia & Montenegro, 2004 Olympic champions Argentina, France, Venezuela and Nigeria.

The Lebanese had hoped to beat Venezuela and Nigeria to reach the Round of 16.

"But this changes everything," Beyrouthy said.

Comment

i really would like to see lebanon nt go up against our rp team, because for the past years i, these two teams havent been able to meet up. Lebanon actively participates at the FIBA asian basketball championship, while we don't send our best national team (we usually send a team that was from a MBA selection, or another dumb, incompetent BAP selection) to that event, and on the other hand, we send our best at the Asian games, while lebanon as far as i know does not participate in the asian games basketball. therefore the RP team and Lebanese team does not get to cross paths. plus, the usual finish of Lebanon in the FIBA asian basketball championship are 2nd, 3rd, 4th (im not sure), while the RP team's usual finish at the asian games basketball are 3rd, 4th and 2nd during the earlier years. so i believe that the RP vs Lebanon match is going to be a very exciting match... i hope.

just think about it... Taulava vs Khoury, Seigle vs El Khatib.. Alapag vs Fahed.. Tawbe vs Adducul

that would be pretty nice to watch

it was just unfortunate that the RP was barred from playing in the SEABA and in the FIBA ABC, thus, not giving us the opportunity to see on how well the RP team would match up against them. and what's going to happen

...just a thought.

Comment

WABA U-18 Championships
                          Finals Competition
                          2006.5.15,Lebanon 101-67 Iraq
                          2006.5.16,Lebanon 78-66 Jordan
                          2006.5.17,Lebanon 78-70 Syria
                          2006.5.18,Lebanon 68-64 Iran
                          2006.5.19,Lebanon 84-74 Yemen

12nd Arab U20 Championships
                          Preliminary Round
                          2006.7.12,Lebanon 69-57 Lybia
                          2006.7.13,Lebanon 63-56 Marocco
                          2006.7.14,Lebanon 98-60 Kuwait
                          2006.7.15,Lebanon 63-57 Saudi Arabia
                          2006.7.16,Lebanon 79-55 UAE

Semi-Finals
                          2006.7.18,Lebanon 72-66 Yemen
                          Finals
                          2006.7.19,Lebanon 75-63 Syria
                          Last edited by Kings; 07-22-2006, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Whoa they got out? Cool...I wasnt sure if they were gonna make it

I was at that game from the pic...They played alright but had no chance against China, really. I think it will be interesting to see them and what they do in their group.

I have a question. I heard there are American naturalized players on the team yet they have arabic names...anyone know anything on this??
                            "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

Comment

have a question. I heard there are American naturalized players on the team yet they have arabic names...anyone know anything on this??
                              lol man where do u get these info from? we have vogel the only one whos naturalized and we say that in public we don't hide it (he has been playing in leb for 10 years )
                              and for the others they all lebanese if u mean brain and paul they r from lebanese families ............

BTW qatar are the last ppl to talk about naturalized players
                              they have team full of afericans and americans but they change their names to arabic names

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information