Half the Olympic teams are from Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fasoulaki
    Lets come back to this discussion when we see how many european and non european teams will qualify for the quarter final of the olympic basketball tournament!
    We shall see. I bet 100% of the teams from the Americas will be in the quarter-finals and semi-finals.

Comment

Originally posted by cadeceus
      We shall see. I bet 100% of the teams from the Americas will be in the quarter-finals and semi-finals.
      Name me one team from the Americas or elsewhere that deserved to be in the Olympics more than any of the participating Euro teams. I honestly could not think of any.
      The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by KWSN-Men
        So what is your point exactly? The European teams that were already qualified (Russia and Lithuania) had to beat other European teams to qualify and the ones participating in the pre-Olympic tournament had to beat again other European teams.
        Ok, so that the european teams now are better than the other teams in the world, FIBA will give europe more spots in all the events?, common, how the teams in other countries will progress in basketball?, how?, we will contineu giving europe more advantage in world basketball??, sure they earned, but I think other deserved a spot, I think that.

You cant compare Puerto Rico with Lithuania and Russia, they always play in Europe they are from Europe. I think Puerto Rico deserved a spot in the Olympics by the third place in the prelympic tournament, Puerto Rico was the only one in the semifinals a non european team in a tournament taked in Greece. But congratolations to all, the next fiba world championship, Europe will have 10 spot for that torunament, they are the best right?, well they deserve that 10 spots. (ironic)
        Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
        16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
        Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
        8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
          Name me one team from the Americas or elsewhere that deserved to be in the Olympics more than any of the participating Euro teams. I honestly could not think of any.
          Ok, by your answer, you will put Italy, France, Turkey, Slovenia and Serbia because they are better than the other teams of other continents.

Commonnnnnnnnn....

Comment

Originally posted by PRSURF
            FIBA will give europe more spots in all the events?, common, how the teams in other countries will progress in basketball?
            Tournaments like this Preolympic give a chance to other continents to develop, by facing high level Euro teams.

Comment

Ok, by your answer, you will put Italy, France, Turkey, Slovenia and Serbia because they are better than the other teams of other continents.

Commonnnnnnnnn....
              Man, you seem to neglect some issues here.
              How many countries in the american continent share an interest in basketball and have a competitive team?
              I can see only 5.
              U.S.A, argentina, puerto rico, brazil, canada.
              The USA represents almost 1/3 of the total population in that continent right?
              Well you have 2 out of five, without any competition, and the other three teams have a chance for a ticket through pre-olympic qualifiers.
              You wanna know how many european countries have basketball history and have competitive teams?
              Over 15!
              And most of them do not have a chance to go there even through qualifiers.
              What did you expect? all 5 american teams that play basketball at the olympics?
              Last edited by Red Inspiration; 07-21-2008, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Commonnnnnnnnn....

Dude, we are not the ones complaining about the number of Euro teams in the OG. "You" are. In the OG there should be representation from all continents so it is fair to have teams from all continents even if they are weaker compared to other teams from other continents. However the number of teams from each continent should reflect the strength of teams from these continents. Should we give Oceania 3 spots too and allow Fiji to play in the Olympics? Think it in another way. Euro teams have to fight against at least 10-12 teams (I am even being conservative) to even get to the position to fight for a OG berth. In the Americas how many teams could in any given day fight for a continental (Americas) top-4 spot?

And it's not like non-Euro teams were not given a chance.
                The Euroleague Organization and Mr Bertomeu are like the Bulgarian Government: corrupt, partially stupid, and a huge underestimator of people's intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball
                  You know what I mean, they wouldn't be there if China was not hosting.
                  I'm not so sure about that---Iran's guards are a lot quicker. Their playmaker, Kamrany would eat up China's defence, and watch out when Iran goes on a full court press. It be a good game, only thing that is China's gotten the upper hand when it comes to controlling the boards

Comment

Ok people, if we continue like that, the FIba WC and the Olympic will be created to ARGENTINA, USA and 15 European teams, congratulations to the WORLD Basketball, they are doing a good job developing basketball in all the countries in the world.

good night people.

Comment

I am starting to wish that Panama hadn't choked away their game against Argentina last summer.
                      Originally posted by Fedfan
                      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                      Originally posted by GuTO
                      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

The olympics are the olympics and the best have to be there. I think this are going to be the most competitive olympics tournament ever. To sad for me that Puerto Rico is not going to be part of this olympics. Breaks my heart.

In this tournament I think that Spain, Lithuania, Greece and USA are the favorite for the gold medal. Whatch out for Croatia that can be the sleeper team in this tournament. Argentina, I dont think they are going to make it to the medal because I dont think their pg position is strong enough. The rest not this time.

Angola, somebody wrote a negative post about Angola that they are not strong enough to be in the Olympics. Angola, is a decent team and their only weekness is their height but remember in Japan they where close to knock out Germany. Dont take them slightly.
                        Last edited by rikhardur; 07-21-2008, 09:02 AM. Reason: Posts merged: short time between consecutive posts

Comment

Originally posted by JGX
                          I doubt that will happen because of scheduling issues--with 12 teams you can play all six games in one building on the same day, with 16 teams you will need another venue.

Personally I like the contrast the between the World Championship which has a lot of teams, and the Olympics which is for the elite.

That seems rather unfair--you are going to take the dominant Asian team in China and put them together with two solid teams in Australia and New Zealand, and then you are going to form a new zone with teams that have never advanced past a group stage at world level? What would be the point?

Combining Asia with Oceania wouldn't be a bad idea though.
                          Fully agree with this as Olympics is for the Elite and the World Championships good for building and devloping basketball in other countries as more teams play.

Australia and Asia should be combined as this is the most logical thing to do and I am sick of seeing teams walk into olympics by just playing each other. ie Australia vs New Zealand best of 3 is for olympic qualification... Whlist most other countries go through comprehensive tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by hotjam_2
                            I'm not so sure about that---Iran's guards are a lot quicker. Their playmaker, Kamrany would eat up China's defence, and watch out when Iran goes on a full court press. It be a good game, only thing that is China's gotten the upper hand when it comes to controlling the boards
                            That's not true. Yao-less China NT dominate Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Inspiration
                              Man, you seem to neglect some issues here.
                              How many countries in the american continent share an interest in basketball and have a competitive team?
                              I can see only 5.
                              I think you'd be surprised by how good Venezuela and Uruguay are, and even lesser teams like Panama can upset the big nations. The Americas have more than 5 competitive teams.

Originally posted by Red Inspiration
                              The USA represents almost 1/3 of the total population in that continent right?.
                              ...and Asia represents more than 1/2 the world's population. What's your point?

The Olympics should have equitable representation from around the world. The football(soccer) tournament has 4 European teams out of 16. 1 out of 4 is probably not enough for basketball, but 1 out of 2 is too much.
                              Last edited by cadeceus; 07-21-2008, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cadeceus
                                that is easy..
                                probably both teams..
                                simply because the rest of teams from zone Americas weren't even good enough to get through the qualies..
                                noone is saying that US and Argentina are bad teams, just the opposite.. they are the best zone Americas have and as that they will go shoulder to shoulder with the best from Europe or they are even ahead of them..
                                but we are all trying to say that Brazil, Canada, Puerto Rico etc. aren't good enough to surpass a bunch of other teams coming from Europe.. teams that probably can't go shoulder to shoulder with Argentina and US but are better then Brazil, Canada, Puerto Rico etc. and that was simply proven..
                                and because of that Brazil, Canada, Puerto Rico etc. are not playing on the olympic games..
                                simple as that..
                                "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information