Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameroon NT

18 players under consideration for the qualifying tournament:

-Serval Amougui Zibi (Pont-Cherry de Lyon-France)
    -Ruben Boumtje Boumtje (Ewebaskets of Ordenburg- Allemagne)
    -Parfait Bitee Moto (University of Rhode Island- Usa)
    -Cyrille Makanda Etogo (Cska de Samara-Russie)
    -Patrick Bouli Elandi (University of Manhattan-Usa)
    -Alfred Aboya Baliaba (Ucla-Usa)
    -Joseph Vladimir Owona (Jsa Bordeaux N°1-France)
    -Brice Vounang Nanfah (Rouen pro A- France)
    -Seydou Njoya (Nancy-France)
    -Stéphane Pelle Pélé (Belgacom Liège-Belgique)
    -Harding Ngueyep Nana (Turow de Zgorzele - Pologne)
    -Franck Patrick Ndongo (Virginia Commonwealth University – Usa)
    -Alexandre Nkembe (France)
    -Joachim Ekanga (France)
    -Christian Bayang (Beac-Cameroun)
    -Jean-Pierre Elong Ebongue (Beac-Cameroun)
    -Alexis Wangmene (University of Texas-Usa)
    -Luc Richard Mbah à Mouté (Milwaukee Bucks-Usa)
    Originally posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Originally posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Originally posted by JGX
    -Luc Richard Mbah à Mouté (Milwaukee Bucks-Usa)
    Looks like he might miss competition because of... the Bucks
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Good Group

This is a good group of players...they only need to work well, be well couaching and clear all the organizations problem's to become a real strong team.

Comment

They wont be eliminated without making some noise. They can upset, or at least give a scare to Croatia and Puerto Rico
        47-70
        76-58

Comment

I'm actually surprised the Cameroon didn't have much success previously, their NT looks pretty good in the African context and not only. Many players playing abroad and in top leagues. Let's see what they can do.
          Artificial Nature

Comment

I don't remember Cameroon even competing in Afrobasket until last year. As with many African teams, organization is 90% of the battle. The other 10% is whether they have any guards.

They did come close qualifying for the U21 worlds in 2005, losing to Nigeria by one point in the African U20 final on a last-second shot. I don't think that team had Mbah a Moute or Aboya either.
            Last edited by JGX; 07-08-2008, 11:20 PM.
            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Biggest concern: Guard play.Bitee and Boli may not be ready to face Puerto Rico's guards and the same goes for Croatia.Jo Ekanga is the most experienced guard on the team, but he cant handle it alone.
              They are pretty stacked on the wings but on the center spot, there is only Boumtje-Boumtje on an international level.Mbah A Moute might opt for the Summerleague which leaves the team without their best defender.
              Coach is Lazare Adingono (Canisius), a former player himself (Rhode Island).
              He is only the assistant coach, but is in reality running the team in front of the local coach that the government has sent...
              They are playing a tournament in Paris against Lebanon,Cabo Verde and an All-Star Team from Paris this week.
              Stephane Pelle and Brice Vounang will be their biggest offensive weapons from what I know and you can scratch Bayang and Elong off the roster due to visa problems.

I from Wisconsin!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

If I am understanding this correctly, the game against Cape Verde was cancelled:

Atualidade, Sa?de, Futebol, Finan?as, Lifestyle, Famosos, Tecnologia, Local, Ambiente, Opini?o, Jornais e Revistas, Promo??es, Mail, Emprego e Carros.

Comment

Originally posted by JGX
                  If I am understanding this correctly, the game against Cape Verde was cancelled:

http://liberal.sapo.cv/noticia.asp?i...Action=noticia
                  True, the Cameroon had some late demands.
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
                    True, the Cameroon had some late demands.
                    I heard that there were some financial problems with the Camerooni Team and that they were facing problems with the French Basketball Federation which is why they withdrew from the friendly tournament in France before heading for Athens.
                    Thus the tournament in France will now include the following teams: Lebanon, Cape Verde, and a group of international African players (Instead of Cameroon).

Comment

I heard that there were some financial problems with the Camerooni Team and that they were facing problems with the French Basketball Federation which is why they withdrew from the friendly tournament in France before heading for Athens.
                      Thus the tournament in France will now include the following teams: Lebanon, Cape Verde, and a group of international African players (Instead of Cameroon).
                      Cameroon is going through the same issues that Nigeria and Senegal went through two years ago during their preparations for the World Championships. Compared to Europe and most of the top programs in Asia and the Americas, African basketball federations are having difficulties securing funding from both the private and public sector. Although the sport has been played for decades on the continent, from an organizational standpoint, most national teams from Africa (with the exception of Angola, and maybe Algeria and Egypt) are loosely ran and grossly underfunded, resulting in a lack of resources both on and off the court. Under these conditions, it really puts countries like Cameroon, Senegal and Nigeria, all with immense potential for NBA/Euroleague type talent, at a real disadvantage when facing better organized and funded countries in other parts of the world. Along with a boost from government sports agencies, corporate sponsorships could aid these countries tremendously, but I imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that basketball is such a distant second to football/soccer or other sports that most of the fledgling money from African countries' private sector funds go towards these sports, which stunts the development of basketball programs. It's a shame. African teams deserve to be on equal footing with the rest of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy
                        Cameroon is going through the same issues that Nigeria and Senegal went through two years ago during their preparations for the World Championships. Compared to Europe and most of the top programs in Asia and the Americas, African basketball federations are having difficulties securing funding from both the private and public sector. Although the sport has been played for decades on the continent, from an organizational standpoint, most national teams from Africa (with the exception of Angola, and maybe Algeria and Egypt) are loosely ran and grossly underfunded, resulting in a lack of resources both on and off the court. Under these conditions, it really puts countries like Cameroon, Senegal and Nigeria, all with immense potential for NBA/Euroleague type talent, at a real disadvantage when facing better organized and funded countries in other parts of the world. Along with a boost from government sports agencies, corporate sponsorships could aid these countries tremendously, but I imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that basketball is such a distant second to football/soccer or other sports that most of the fledgling money from African countries' private sector funds go towards these sports, which stunts the development of basketball programs. It's a shame. African teams deserve to be on equal footing with the rest of the world.
                        Yo Federoy!
                        I agree with u bro. I lived in Africa before and everyone there is crazy about soccer. The only country in Africa where basketball is more popular is in Angola and maybe now Cape Verde.

Comment

Yo Federoy!
                          I agree with u bro. I lived in Africa before and everyone there is crazy about soccer. The only country in Africa where basketball is more popular is in Angola and maybe now Cape Verde.
                          I can totally believe it bro. Years ago, I once worked with a guy from Nigeria. He would actually have his relatives back gome mail him VHS tapes of Nigeria's football qualification matches (I assumed he had a universal or PAL reading VCR). The man was crazy about football, but if I brought up basketball I would get a blank stare and he would sometimes say that basketball is an "American sport played by only Americans." Of course he was totally wrong. The sport has been played globally since at lease the 1920s, and is currently the only North America originated sport that is played on all six continents.

Unfortunately, because of the lack of serious investment, basketball's growth on the contintent is limited in terms of facilities, equipment, coaching, travelling, promotion and everything else associated with the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy
                            Unfortunately, because of the lack of serious investment, basketball's growth on the contintent is limited in terms of facilities, equipment, coaching, travelling, promotion and everything else associated with the sport.
                            That´s a complete understatement, man. Because of that, it´s no wonder a lot of these players develop overseas.
                            "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Final roster from the FIBA website...no Mbah a Moute, no Pelle, no Essengue.

Cyrille MAKANDA SG 189cm 6'2" 05/05/1980 BC Samara (RUS)
                              Alfred ABOYA PF/C 203cm 6'8" 02/01/1985 UCLA, NCAA (USA)
                              Christian BAYANG SG 192cm 6'4" 07/05/1987 BEAC Yaoundé (CAM)
                              Parfait BITEE SG 188cm 6'2" 23/07/1985 Rhode Island University, NCAA (USA)
                              Patrick BOULI G 188cm 6'2" 11/01/1986 Manhattan College, NCAA (USA)
                              Ruben BOUMTJE BOUMTJE C 212cm 6'11" 20/05/1978 Oldenburg (GER)
                              Joachim EKANGA EHAWA SG/SF 187cm 6'2" 07/10/1977 Elan Chalon/Saône (FRA)
                              Jean Pierre ELLONG EBONGUE SG 185cm 6'1" 07/10/1985 BEAC Yaoundé (CAM)
                              Harding NANA PF 203cm 6'8" 17/01/1981 Turow Zgorzelec (POL)
                              Franck NDONGO F 201cm 6'7" 07/12/1988 Virginia Commonwealth University, NCAA (USA)
                              Brice VOUNANG F/PF 203cm 6'8" 03/12/1982 SPO Rouen (FRA)
                              Alexis WANGMENE 203cm 6'8" 01/03/1989 University of Texas, NCAA (USA)

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information