Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caanda is favorite to go to Spain.. Not because they are good to reach top 4 in Caracas but because even if they fail they will make it with the no. of NBA players playing for them..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Are you implying that Canada will get a wild card berth invitation to the World Championships in Spain even if the Canadian basketball team doesn't qualify in the Tournament of the Americas?

Comment

• Final roster announced: http://sportcafe.ca/2013/08/26/senio...eam-announced/

I from Wisconsin!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Mart View Post
          they are hiding their strenghts. After watching the PR-CAN game I have them as my favorites to win the tournament.
          I have Argentina as my favorite to win the tournament...but I do have Canada winning a berth to the WC by finishing either 3rd or 4th.

Comment

• Tristan Thompson was a disappointment this tournament. It's just one of those "what could have beens" for Canada had Benett and Olynyk been healthy.

Comment

• Triano comments from postgame conference call:

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun 38m
              "That’s part of our growth process. I think guys are committed and (there are) even more guys that are committed to this program."

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun 38m
              "And they’re things that we don’t know and can’t get away with and things that we don’t try at the other end and those are big turnarounds

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun 39m
              "The level of frustration, is not knowing the intl. game that much. Argentina embellished four charges against us. Those are savvy plays...

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun 39m
              "II don’t think there will ever be a recruiting period. These guys have bought in. They want to do this."

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun 1h
              Argentina grew from there into dominant team. Triano hopes story repeats in future with Canada playing role of Argentina.

Triano told story of Canada knocking out bitterly-disappointed Argentina back in day. Next time, Argentina won the Olympics

"Probably our inexperience was the biggest detriment to our group, but I’m proud of the way this team played."

"There wasn’t one game where we weren’t competitive and I think that shows how close we are." - Jay Triano

Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange 1h
              Triano: "these guys are huge competitors and they didn’t come here for experience, they wanted to win. It didn’t happen .. /2
              Retweeted by Ryan Wolstat

Will work hard to keep players involved. Kelly Olynyk already very eager to rejoin team next summer. Will try to play overseas exhibitions

Triano said the expected. Very disappointing not to make it, but can't replace experience. Argentina had it. Canada needs to learn to flop
              Originally posted by Fedfan
              Most ppl get childish when they lose.
              Originally posted by GuTO
              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• The future is bright for Canada basketball

National pride washed over Canada on Feb. 23, the day Canada won the Olympic gold medal in men's ice hockey.

Hundreds of people filled the streets of downtown Toronto that morning. They swarmed Maple Leaf Square, adjacent to the city's main hockey and basketball arena, Air Canada Centre. Fans wore red and white, and they cheered and waved flags.

Perhaps, within a decade or so, Canadians will have a reason to celebrate their basketball players, too.

The country is experiencing a basketball renaissance these days. Eight Canadians dotted NBA rosters at the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season, including Andrew Nicholson of the Orlando Magic and Tristan Thompson and Anthony Bennett of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Up to three more Canadians might become lottery picks in the 2014 NBA Draft: Andrew Wiggins of the University of Kansas, Tyler Ennis of Syracuse University and Nik Stauskas of the University of Michigan.

"I think really the sky's the limit for us," said Boston Celtics rookie Kelly Olynyk, a 7-footer who grew up in Ontario and British Columbia.

"There's a lot of guys coming up as well, with Wiggins and a couple of other guys in college. Then we've got the young guys in the NBA. . . . There's definitely a lot of talent and a lot of people who want to be a part of something. So we're definitely heading in the right direction."

That upward trend should be on display tonight at Amway Center, when the Magic host the Cavaliers.

Nicholson and Thompson, both power forwards and former first-round draft picks, could match up against each other at times during the game. (Bennett, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, has been excused from the Cavaliers' road trip to Orlando and Atlanta so he can return to the Toronto area to address a family health matter.)

Nicholson and Thompson starred for Team Canada last summer at the 2013 FIBA Americas Championship in Venezuela.

Canada finished that tournament in sixth place, which was a disappointment, but besides Nicholson and Thompson, Canada's team only featured two other NBA players: San Antonio Spurs point guard Cory Joseph and Boston Celtics big man Joel Anthony.

"We're all a bunch of young guys, young talent," Nicholson said. "So we're just going to continue to develop and get better."

Thompson and Nicholson competed against each other in high school, and they became stronger friends during the tournament.

The United States, of course, has the deepest talent pool in basketball.

At the start of this season, France had 10 players in the NBA, the second-highest number for any country.

Six of Canada's eight current NBA players are 24 years old or younger.

Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash, now 40 years old and beset by injuries, is nearing the end of his playing career. But he serves as the general manager of the Canadian men's national team.

"He knows a lot," Bennett said. "He knows all the ropes."

Wiggins and Ennis already have declared for this year's draft, and Stauskas is mulling his options.

"The future's very bright, especially with the guys we have coming up," Thompson said.

"Each of us individually has got to keep getting better in our craft, and I think that's something that's going to happen because if you look at all our body of work over the years, we've all gotten better, and I think we're going to continue doing that. And I think before it's said and done, we'll have a chance to compete for gold."
                -Orlando Sentinel
                Sacramento Kings
                HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

• Good read about Canada's national men's team busy summer and the build up for the 2015 Pan American games and FIBA Americas. http://o.canada.com/sports/basketbal...tion-in-europe
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Canada's squad is in high spirits this summer. European tour up next and prepares them for the Americas next year.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Canada roster:

Jordan Bachynski, C
                      Jordan Baker, Fw
                      Junior Cadougan, G
                      Melvin Ejim, Fw
                      Brady Heslip, G
                      Cory Joseph, G
                      Owen Klassen, Fw
                      Andrew Nicholson, Fw
                      Kelly Olynyk, Fw
                      Dwight Powell, Fw
                      Robert Sacre, C
                      Philip Scrubb, G
                      Thomas Scrubb, G
                      Jevohn Shepherd, G

Tristan Thompson, Joel Anthony, Carl English, Anthony Bennett ?

Comment

• this roster is only for the friendlies or you have official games this summer?

Comment

• Only friendlies. That roster doesn't look that strong to me.

Comment

• good for you that you have a score machine like carl english.what about bennet,wiggins?
                            Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                            Only friendlies. That roster doesn't look that strong to me.

Comment

• Full schedule of the 11 games of Canada NT European tour:

Comment

• Good read about Joseph
                                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information