Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172
Results 1,421 to 1,437 of 1437

Thread: Lithuanian talents.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Horrible tournament by Beliauskas. I didn't like him so damn much. He's considered to be talent, but i could see only a shot as the only really good thing in his game and it went very bad in U20 champ. Then his defence was bad and the decision making even worse. He was the main reason the team couldn't reach semis. In 1/4 game his +/- was -24...
    Beliauskas looked so totally confused out on the court today that I don't understand why the coach kept him on the floor so long.

Exclamation

And now the U20 team choked up late in a classification game against a German team and scored no points for the last five minutes of the fourth quarter until only seven seconds remained when Martynas Echodas finally scored a basket. Still, an 85-81 victory against a German team that showed very little in this tournament is not exactly an encouraging result. Perhaps we're overrating Echodas and the rest as prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    And now the U20 team choked up late in a classification game against a German team and scored no points for the last five minutes of the fourth quarter until only seven seconds remained when Martynas Echodas finally scored a basket. Still, an 85-81 victory against a German team that showed very little in this tournament is not exactly an encouraging result. Perhaps we're overrating Echodas and the rest as prospects?

Echodas and Birutis are ok. Its the backcourt once again that absolutely sucks. No matter how good your bigs are if you cant make plays and right pass then you are in for a trouble. I would trade all these frontcourt prospects for one good PG or SG prospect in a heartbeat. Atleast we can pray to basketball Gods that Velicka becomes a stud.

Yeah, we choked big time when the game was won already.
    I guess that we have to give some credit or not to coaches. They are youngish and make mistakes.
    Let them be

ome
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Birutis low key is a very good prospect.
    At first i thought he kinda was being lucky at the begining of the tournament due to his opponents being a bit shorter but against big Greek and German guys he was still ballin out there, showing some post moves, soft touch, he already naturaly has something that JV is still struggling to improve on even till now and that is passing out and finding the open man. His biggest weakness was being very skinny but he's past that, in 2015 he was listed as 97kg-98kg and now in his most recent DraftExpress interview he said he weights 108kg.
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

In my opinion, both U20 and U19 teams underperformed. The biggest dissapointments: Varnas and Kulboka. Varnas was supposed to be one of the stars of the tournament, but his poor shooting, combined with turnovers and inability to convert from the charity stripe overshadowed his overall performance. I hesitate to draw him a bright future, since those who have mediocre youth tournaments usually have odds stacked against them when it comes to men's basketball, but I did like his ability to create opportunities for his teammates and help turn the game around - if we lost momentum, it was usually Varnas who turned the game around - and that might translate well in the upper echelons of European competition. With Kulboka, it was all psychological. He's got a bright future ahead of him only if he's willing to work for it. Countless young prospects faded away because they didn't work for hard enough - Cizauskas, Redikas and Janavicius just to name a few. Everything's in his hands.

Well Varnas played last game before NT camp on 2017-01-02, underwent surgery in March to remove metal plate and played with weight he probably had not enough time to shed.

I wrote previously that Beliauskas played PG only during garbage time, but after "performing statistical analysis" I see that even then he often played together with real PGs. Add 3 games where Ewing or Drew didn't play and Beliauskas clocked less than two hours as PG whole season.

U18 are playing last pre EC game right now and Velicka is not on roster today...

Ootherwise same roster as on Saturday and Friday, so I guess no Jokubaitis and Giedraitis

Kisunas Venskus
    Vasiliauskas Lavrinovicius Juozaitis
    Kozys Vaiciunas
    Sargiunas(PG) Daugela
    Velicka Jonkus

I hoped it would be more interesting squad in U18 team with addition of talented 2000 y.born players, but only center Venskus is in. No Jokubaitis and Giedraitis who played at U19 WC (the last one didn't play a lot). No Balciunas and Vilys who used to be backup players. No Arlauskas who already could play decently in NKL and was in the camp. Some guys in the roster are not good players at all. This team definitely has less talent than U19 and U20 teams had. But i won't be surpised if they go far in the champ, because it's the same core that has won medals in recent years (silver in U16 EC and bronze in U17 WC).

Is Arlauckas any relation to former Italian-American player Joe? Is Lavrinovičius any relation to the brothers?

Is Arlauckas any relation to former Italian-American player Joe? Is Lavrinovičius any relation to the brothers?

Arlauskas is the son of former Zalgiris player Mindaugas Arlauskas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Arlauskas is the son of former Zalgiris player Mindaugas Arlauskas.
    Former captain of Zalgiris if I remember correctly. And I do not remember that much about his playing days - number five on his t-shirt , very calm and composed , opposite in style to flamboyant Masalskis.
    Lithuania's Mike D'Antony.
    Last edited by auris1; 07-24-2017 at 09:18 PM.

I do not think we underperformed per se so far this summer.
    Mediocre , yes. But that's what you get if you can't win QF games.
    Our under 20 team lost two games to gold/silver medal winners.
    But Kiltinavicius is a very young coach. He has done wonders in NKL ,so he deserved a go with youth NT , where he made a few mistakes now and then . But not every coach is blessed with Valanciunas type , game winning , no matter what , player. I think he will get some harsh words and ,hopefully , some future advice from our coaches in bb federation , so be it. But we need a rotation in people who coach, as well.
    Lastly , Birutis . He is the best thing that happened to this generation . And others too . He went from a zero 4 years ago to the player who deals most damage of them all. 4 years ago it was all about Michailiuk
    and Varnas, and some others I do not remember.
    I do remember Echodas from our team either. He is OK now. But Birutis. In four years he came from fragile undernourished tall guy to a lean and mean motherfu ker.

auris1, I sincerely hope you've just had one too many beers this evening and cracked another one of your jokes about Birutis...
    A guy is a 20 years old kid and is as slow as a snail and if there ever was a race between my grandma and him from one side of the court to another, I'd probably still put a good amount of my hard earned money on my grandma lol.
    In all seriousness, I wish all the best for the guy, but he's just not an athletic type and seems to already have a hunched back at his tender age - that is a serious sign of his future back issues. If he ever proves me wrong and becomes a solid Euroleague level center at the senior level, I'm gonna take my hat off for the guy....
    Last edited by madmax; 07-24-2017 at 11:59 PM.

You will probably have to, man. A guy is 20 years old and that's not a lot for a center at all. He's the most improving Lithuanian prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post

Lastly , Birutis . He is the best thing that happened to this generation . And others too . He went from a zero 4 years ago to the player who deals most damage of them all. 4 years ago it was all about Michailiuk
    and Varnas, and some others I do not remember.
    I do remember Echodas from our team either. He is OK now. But Birutis. In four years he came from fragile undernourished tall guy to a lean and mean motherfu ker.
    At least finally a proper excellent 7'1 sized Center to, with a similar wingspan to Valanciunas
    but yeh what always cought my eye was his posture always looking down, hunched neck..
    Lithuania

FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    auris1, I sincerely hope you've just had one too many beers this evening and cracked another one of your jokes about Birutis...
    A guy is a 20 years old kid and is as slow as a snail and if there ever was a race between my grandma and him from one side of the court to another, I'd probably still put a good amount of my hard earned money on my grandma lol.
    In all seriousness, I wish all the best for the guy, but he's just not an athletic type and seems to already have a hunched back at his tender age - that is a serious sign of his future back issues. If he ever proves me wrong and becomes a solid Euroleague level center at the senior level, I'm gonna take my hat off for the guy....
    I dont see him being slow at all here in this vid.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nREgi1JNAio
    Lithuania

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172