Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Lebanese Players abroad

^ didn't he played with Mouttahed in Arab Cup 2 years ago in Alexandria ?

I think he was good same level as Miguel

Lebanese players set to begin NCAA basketball season

November 12, 2011 01:39 AM
    By Dany Abboud
    The Daily Star

BEIRUT: With the NBA season not likely to start anytime soon thanks to the protracted lockout, college basketball is set to pique the interest of fans across the world.

The American college league known as “NCAA” stars players of different nationalities seeking to complete their dream of becoming professional athletes in the future. The 2011-2012 basketball season finally starts this weekend, with Lebanon having no less than nine representatives who will compete alongside future NBA and Euroleague players, exhibiting their skills in front of millions of viewers inside and outside the U.S.

Ahmad Ibrahim, a 200cm guard/forward, is Lebanon’s most celebrated player in the NCAA. He received a full scholarship from Rice Owls University last year and will be playing his first game for the college this Saturday against New Orleans.

“Ahmad is a very versatile athlete who is certainly a great addition to our program,” Ben Braun, head coach of Rice, told the official Rice website.

While playing this past season at the Humble Christian Life, Ibrahim was named to the all-tournament teams at the America Airlines Alaska Shootout in Anchorage as well as the Santa Maria Prep Classic played in Santa Maria, California.

In the Autumn of 2010, Ibrahim represented Lebanon at the 21st FIBA Asia U-18 Championship in Sanaa, Yemen. In seven games played in the championship, Ibrahim averaged 20.2 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2 assists although his tournament was marred by a falling out with the then Under-18’s coach Ghassan Sarkis.

In addition to playing in the U-18 championship, Ibrahim also played with Lebanon’s senior national team in 2010, averaging 12 points per game during the team’s tour of Japan and Taiwan.

Ibrahim first grabbed international attention playing for Lebanon’s U-18 team as a 16-year-old playing at the 2008 FIBA Asia U-18 Championship. He averaged 32 points per game through the first two rounds of the tournament.

He can shoot from outside, come off screens for his accurate midrange jumpers, and has shown the potential to become a star player in the future.

Elsewhere, Samer Ozeir, a 204cm poward forward, who played alongside Ibrahim in Lebanon U-18 last year in Sanaa, is also one of the players to watch, as he was recruited by Colombia Lions, which compete in the Ivy league.

Ozeir averaged 13.8 ppg and 5.3 rpg at the 2010 FIBA Asia U-18 championship. He’s a 200-pound forward who can score outside from the perimeter like a shooting guard, but can bang inside for rebounds and points as if he’s a center.

“I definitely find it different preparing for my first college season. There are really no breaks, as soon as I got to school we started conditioning and skill workouts” Ozeir told The Daily Star’s Sports Weekly.

“Now that practice is started we are playing hard with the hope of being on top of our league by March,” he said.

“For my freshmen season, I really just expect to learn a lot. I hope to gain valuable experience so next season and [in] seasons to come, I will be ready to take on a bigger role,” added Ozeir.

“I can just say to watch carefully because hopefully one day I’ll be playing in Lebanon where [my compatriots] can watch me anytime they like.”

Fouad “Kikko” Haydar, a 178cm point guard, is looking forward to the opportunity of receiving more quality time with Arkansas Razorbacks, going into his sophomore year.

“I feel that we will have a very good season. We will be playing an up tempo style of basketball and it should be a lot of fun” Haydar told The Daily Star’s Sports Weekly.

Haydar is a walk-on point guard on the Razorbacks roster, he is characterized by his quickness on the court and his sharp shooting.

Ali Haidar, a 202cm point forward, who is heading into his junior year with Michigan tech, which is affiliated with the NCAA D2, expects his role to get bigger this season, especially after being named to the Ken Hamar Award as the team’s most valuable player last year.

“My summer with the national team was a great preparation tool for me. I worked on a lot of different aspects of my game and had the chance to improve my weakness with coach Ghassan Sarkis,” said Haidar, referring to his two-month stay with Lebanon’s senior team last summer.

“Not only that, but I got to play against and with very good players, which only gave me more experience and a better insight of the game heading into my third season in college.”

“I’m hoping to have a good season myself, because my coaching staff and my league (GLIAC) expects a lot of me. So I have to live up to those expectations and not disappoint my coaches. So – Inshallah [God willing] – I will be able to deliver,” added Haidar.

Fortunately, Lebanese basketball is the biggest beneficiary of these college prospects, as these players will feed the national team as well as the league in the near future.

The list of the Lebanese players in the NCAA also features the likes of Roy Ghantous (Georges Washington), Mike Accaoui (Stonehill), Hayk Gyokchyan (Franklin & Marshall), JP Koury (Bentley) and Samer Madarani (Delaware).

It’s worth noting that Lebanon have had many players who shined brightly in the American college.

Among the best of these players are Rony Seikaly (Syracuse), who was the first member of the Miami Heat, Brian Beshara (LSU), Matt Freije (Vanderbilt), Daniel Faris (New Mexico), Joey Accaoui (Vermont) and Joe Vogel (Colorado State) – although Vogel became a naturalized citizen after he graduated.
    Proud to be Lebanese

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid80 View Post
    Bro he's Lebanese as he was called to the Lebanese NT tryouts back in 2009 but his name wasn't mentioned on the final roster of our team as Dragan Raca back then selected Ali Mahmoud, Rony Fahed and Rodrigues Akl ahead of him as the point guards of our NT .

I remember this clearly as we discussed about him here on IBN in the threads below if you feel like reading through them ... You can read from this page in the link below onwards and see the discussions we had about him as well as other players on the NT (we used to write and argue too much during those days though )

http://forums.interbasket.net/f68/le...-9668/p37.html

And here as well:
    http://forums.interbasket.net/f68/le...vol-iii-10131/

Also on the Eurobasket website on the roster of his team he's mentioned as Lebanese-American.

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?C...am=1029&Page=1

By the way it was Dani who mentioned his name as a possible candidate for our NT to the Lebanese Federation back then
    yeah,i remmember back then on 2009 we had alot of abroads who came for tryouts,i remmember sean taibi,the latter was a terrific 3 pt shooter, who if memory served played a couple of scrimmage games with the NT in 2009,but he was dropped or decided to leave for i dont know what reason
    does anyone know what became of him?

about the article dany,it's great,and am really lookin forward to seing ahmad and samer play soon.

Quote Originally Posted by daniab View Post
    Lebanese players set to begin NCAA basketball season

November 12, 2011 01:39 AM
    By Dany Abboud
    The Daily Star

BEIRUT: With the NBA season not likely to start anytime soon thanks to the protracted lockout, college basketball is set to pique the interest of fans across the world.

The American college league known as “NCAA” stars players of different nationalities seeking to complete their dream of becoming professional athletes in the future. The 2011-2012 basketball season finally starts this weekend, with Lebanon having no less than nine representatives who will compete alongside future NBA and Euroleague players, exhibiting their skills in front of millions of viewers inside and outside the U.S.

Ahmad Ibrahim, a 200cm guard/forward, is Lebanon’s most celebrated player in the NCAA. He received a full scholarship from Rice Owls University last year and will be playing his first game for the college this Saturday against New Orleans.

“Ahmad is a very versatile athlete who is certainly a great addition to our program,” Ben Braun, head coach of Rice, told the official Rice website.

While playing this past season at the Humble Christian Life, Ibrahim was named to the all-tournament teams at the America Airlines Alaska Shootout in Anchorage as well as the Santa Maria Prep Classic played in Santa Maria, California.

In the Autumn of 2010, Ibrahim represented Lebanon at the 21st FIBA Asia U-18 Championship in Sanaa, Yemen. In seven games played in the championship, Ibrahim averaged 20.2 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2 assists although his tournament was marred by a falling out with the then Under-18’s coach Ghassan Sarkis.

In addition to playing in the U-18 championship, Ibrahim also played with Lebanon’s senior national team in 2010, averaging 12 points per game during the team’s tour of Japan and Taiwan.

Ibrahim first grabbed international attention playing for Lebanon’s U-18 team as a 16-year-old playing at the 2008 FIBA Asia U-18 Championship. He averaged 32 points per game through the first two rounds of the tournament.

He can shoot from outside, come off screens for his accurate midrange jumpers, and has shown the potential to become a star player in the future.

Elsewhere, Samer Ozeir, a 204cm poward forward, who played alongside Ibrahim in Lebanon U-18 last year in Sanaa, is also one of the players to watch, as he was recruited by Colombia Lions, which compete in the Ivy league.

Ozeir averaged 13.8 ppg and 5.3 rpg at the 2010 FIBA Asia U-18 championship. He’s a 200-pound forward who can score outside from the perimeter like a shooting guard, but can bang inside for rebounds and points as if he’s a center.

“I definitely find it different preparing for my first college season. There are really no breaks, as soon as I got to school we started conditioning and skill workouts” Ozeir told The Daily Star’s Sports Weekly.

“Now that practice is started we are playing hard with the hope of being on top of our league by March,” he said.

“For my freshmen season, I really just expect to learn a lot. I hope to gain valuable experience so next season and [in] seasons to come, I will be ready to take on a bigger role,” added Ozeir.

“I can just say to watch carefully because hopefully one day I’ll be playing in Lebanon where [my compatriots] can watch me anytime they like.”

Fouad “Kikko” Haydar, a 178cm point guard, is looking forward to the opportunity of receiving more quality time with Arkansas Razorbacks, going into his sophomore year.

“I feel that we will have a very good season. We will be playing an up tempo style of basketball and it should be a lot of fun” Haydar told The Daily Star’s Sports Weekly.

Haydar is a walk-on point guard on the Razorbacks roster, he is characterized by his quickness on the court and his sharp shooting.

Ali Haidar, a 202cm point forward, who is heading into his junior year with Michigan tech, which is affiliated with the NCAA D2, expects his role to get bigger this season, especially after being named to the Ken Hamar Award as the team’s most valuable player last year.

“My summer with the national team was a great preparation tool for me. I worked on a lot of different aspects of my game and had the chance to improve my weakness with coach Ghassan Sarkis,” said Haidar, referring to his two-month stay with Lebanon’s senior team last summer.

“Not only that, but I got to play against and with very good players, which only gave me more experience and a better insight of the game heading into my third season in college.”

“I’m hoping to have a good season myself, because my coaching staff and my league (GLIAC) expects a lot of me. So I have to live up to those expectations and not disappoint my coaches. So – Inshallah [God willing] – I will be able to deliver,” added Haidar.

Fortunately, Lebanese basketball is the biggest beneficiary of these college prospects, as these players will feed the national team as well as the league in the near future.

The list of the Lebanese players in the NCAA also features the likes of Roy Ghantous (Georges Washington), Mike Accaoui (Stonehill), Hayk Gyokchyan (Franklin & Marshall), JP Koury (Bentley) and Samer Madarani (Delaware).

It’s worth noting that Lebanon have had many players who shined brightly in the American college.

Among the best of these players are Rony Seikaly (Syracuse), who was the first member of the Miami Heat, Brian Beshara (LSU), Matt Freije (Vanderbilt), Daniel Faris (New Mexico), Joey Accaoui (Vermont) and Joe Vogel (Colorado State) – although Vogel became a naturalized citizen after he graduated.

thanks for this article Dany ... it's good to have such talents ready to feed our national team for the upcoming years

Fouad "Kiko" Haidar played 5 minutes and had 1 rebound with the Arkansas Razorbacks who won their first game against USC Upstate

Arkansas 83 - 63 USC Upstate

Albert Nassar

New lebanese player
    University Syracuse :NCAA D1
    2011-2012 Freshman
    Position: Forward
    Height: 6-6
    Weight: 195 lbs

High School: He attended South Fork High School and played basketball for Coach Tom Swager … Nassar was a team captain as a senior … He attended Cardinal Gibbons before moving to Martin County …Nassar joined the South Fork basketball team in January 2011 … In Nassar’s first game for South Fork. against Sebastian River, he recorded a double-double with 10 points and a season-high 14 rebounds … He scored a season-high 19 points and grabbed 10 rebounds against Okeechobee … As a senior, Nassar earned Second-Team All County honors … He participated in the 2010 Hoop Mountian National Recruiting Showcase at Robert Morris University … Nassar was a member of the National Honor Society as a senior.

Personal: Albert Christopher Nassar was born August 1992 … He is the son of Albert Nassar and Niliana Nassar-Garcia … He has a sister and a step-sister … Nassar is majoring in sport and human dynamics.
    Last edited by ralfb; 11-25-2011 at 06:50 AM.

for the record, even though he's playing NCAA D3 Hayk Gyokchyan (Franklin & Marshall Diplomats) is having a really impressive start.

In one of his games he scored career high 26 pts & grabbed 14 reb leading his team to the W, not to mention the double figures and the double-double in other games.

maybe a future league player in Lebanon ?

Grambling St. vs Arkansas
    11-26-2011 7 pm at Fayetteville, Ark. (Bud Walton Arena)

Kikko Haydar 2 pts 1-4 FG, 1 Reb, 3 Ass, 3 Steals in 12 min

JP Khoury

his best game so far vs Saint Anselm 10 pts, 4-6 FG , 2-3 from 3 pts, 2 Reb, 1 Assist in 18 min

New Hampshire 76 at. Bentley 92
    @ Waltham, Mass. (Dana Center)
    12/3/2011 at 3:30 pm

3 pts, 5 Reb, 1 Ass, 1 Steal in 14 min for JP Koury

Default Hayk Gyokchyan Updates

McDaniel at Franklin & Marshall
    @ Lancaster, Pa.
    12/3/2011 at 4:00 PM

6 Pts, 7 Reb

Franklin & Marshall at Gettysburg
    @ Gettysburg, PA - Bream Gymnasium
    12/7/2011 at 8:00 p.m.

16 Pts, 11 Reb, 1 Ass, 4 Steals, 2 Blocks

Franklin & Marshall at Haverford College
    @ Gooding Arena; Haverford, Pa.
    12/10/2011 at 3:05 p.m.

29 Pts, 11 Reb, 1 Ass, 1 Steal, 1 Block

Franklin & Marshall Diplomats won all three games.

Gyochen_-_McDaniel_03.jpggyokchyan_hayk_1_-_st_marys_.jpg

Bentley University at Stonehill College
    @ Easton, Mass. (Merkert Gymnasium)
    12/10/2011 at 3:30 p.m.

JP Koury scored 7 Pts with 3 Reb and 2 Steals.

his team won by 7 pts after 2 OT.

Koury-11-6490-1946_headshot.jpg

Default Gyokchyan Named to D3Hoops Team of the Week

LANCASTER, Pa. – Hayk Gyokchyan was named to the D3Hoops.com Team of the Week when it was announced earlier this week. The Team of the Week, presented by Scoutware, is D3hoops.com's weekly honor roll, in its 15th season of recognizing the top performance at each of the five positions from around the country.

Gyokchyan shot 19-for-31 from the floor en route to 22.5 points per game in a 2-0 week for the 10th ranked Diplomats. He scored a career-high 29 points in a 71-61 win against Haverford. Gyokchyan averaged 11.0 rebounds, 2.5 steals and totaled three blocked shots for the week.

The award is the first weekly honor for Gyokchyan and the first D3Hoops.com weekly honor for F&M this season.

F&M returns to action on Jan. 2 when the Diplomats host Misericordia at 7:00 p.m in the first round of the Sponaugle New Years Tournament.

gyokchyan_1_-_st_marys_.JPG

hey guys Julian khazzouh is playing with the warriors now ... i believe this time he's out of our reach ... :S

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/julian...ouh/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by tonysaade View Post
    hey guys Julian khazzouh is playing with the warriors now ... i believe this time he's out of our reach ... :S

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/julian...ouh/index.html
    and he was waived lol

Golden State Warriors waived Gary Flowers, Julian Khazzouh, Tim Pickett and Tommy Smith.

^ most probably they are try outs in which they will pick some of them.
    regarding his stats it's unlikely that he will sign with them before a week from the official start but nothing is impossible.

he didn't want to play with our NT anyway so in both ways he's out of reach.

2 Pts, 2 Ass for JP Koury in 5 min off the bench vs Concordia.

The Falcons continues with the winning streak.

Default Hayk Gyokchyan January 2012 Updates Part 1

Misericordia at Franklin & Marshall
    @ Lancaster, Pa.
    1/2/2012 at 7:00 PM

9 Pts, 6 Reb, 1 Ass, 2 Steals & 1 Block in 24 min

Hobart at Franklin & Marshall
    @ Lancaster, Pa.
    1/3/2012 at 7:00 PM

26 Pts, 12 Reb, 3 Ass, 1 Steal & 1 Block in 38 min

Oneonta at Franklin & Marshall
    @ Lancaster, Pa.
    1/5/2012 at 5:00 PM

4 Pts, 6 Reb, 2 Ass in 18 min

Diplomats won all three games.
    Last edited by mavrick_h; 02-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Default More Hayk Gyokchyan January 2012 Updates Part 2

Franklin & Marshall at Swarthmore
    @ Swarthmore, Pa.
    1/7/2012 at 3:00 p.m

21 Pts, 11 Reb, 2 Ass, 1 Block in 30 min

Muhlenberg at Franklin & Marshall
    @ Lancaster, Pa.
    1/12/2012 at 8:00 PM

9 Pts, 6 Reb, 1 Ass, 4 Blocks in 27 min

Washington College at Franklin & Marshall
    @ Lancaster, Pa.
    1/14/2012 at 4:00 PM

14 Pts, 10 Reb, 1 Ass, 2 Steals, 3 Blocks in 37 min

wining streak: W-W-L
    Last edited by mavrick_h; 02-01-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Default Gyokchyan Named CC POTW

LANCASTER, Pa. -- Hayk Gyokchyan was named Centennial Conference (CC) Player of the Week when it was announced Monday. Gyokchyan had two major performances in a 4-0 week for the eighth-ranked Diplomats. He made 11-of-17 shots from the floor for 26 points against Hobart and drained 8-of-12 shots for 21 markers in the victory over Swarthmore. For the week, Gyokchyan shot 53.8 percent from the field, averaging 17.0 points and 9.7 rebounds.
    The honor is the first CC Weekly recognition and the second overall this season. The junior was named to the D3Hoops Team of the Week in the second week of December.

gyokchyan_hayk_4_-_st_marys_.JPG

Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast