Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metropolitan Basketball Association (1998-2002)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn i'm nostalgic now.. I remember going home early from my elementary classes, snubbing my classmates who were egging me to play some kind of games after school just to catch Donbel Belano and the Davao Eagles play..
    Man, I was just seven or eight years old then..
    And I could even recall the Eagles' game against Iloilio Megavoltz which the Voltz won and eliminated the Eagles. I was totally in tears that time. That's why I never forgot Lou Gatumbato who just recently suited up for the Air21 in the PBA. There were 3 of them actually. Dale Singson and Ronald Magtulis.
    "If at first you don't succeed, call it v1.0"

http://pinoybballer.blogspot.com <<<--a blogsite for people who have the BALLS to love BALLS..

Comment

• i wonder where are egay echaves and roy lura is playing now.
      The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• which was most successful, best team name?

hi guys, which team do you think was the most successful, in terms of basketball success, fan support, team name?

my pick, negros slashers for team name, they were also successful for the whole duration of mba with a lot of fans supporting them and also they had a very entertaining style of play.

I'm biased though, I'm from negros.

also, I think the best series ever in the MBA was between negros and cebu for south conference title in the inaugural season, with negros coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the the series 4-3, it was just so dramatic.

Comment

• Remembering the &quot;MBA&quot; or &quot;Metroball&quot;

Do you remember this

manila metro stars
          cebu gems
          davao eagles
          cagayan de oro nuggts/amigos
          iloilo megavoltz/voltz
          negros slashers
          socsargen marlins
          pasig blue/rizal pirates
          batangas blades
          laguna lakers
          pangasinan presidents/waves
          san juan knights
          surigao warriors/miners
          olongapo volounteers
          pampanga dragons
          nueva ecija patriots

wats ur favorite team?
          sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

• MBA
            sigpic

Comment

• My team ...

Definitely the Pampanga Dragons as my dad's from that region. There was a team in our local Filipino Basketball Competition here in Sydney Australia who were called the Pampanga Dragons. This was back in 2008. All of the lads were from Pampanga or near by provinces such as Tarlac as they would all communicate in Pampangueno. In the finals when they took on my cousin's team I would try to listen to what they were saying, whenever they would shout out instructions, I would then translate and tell my cousin's coach what they were saying. I could understand Pampangueno but I don't know how to speak it, though I wish I did.
              "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
              -El Padrino

Comment

• forget it, we have a D-League
                ================================================== =========================================

Comment

• there was a time when I closely monitored the MBA..so excited about it that I don't even care about the PBA. hehe.
                  It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
                  I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

• I Remember the unique rules of this league specially the blitz three and 23 seconds shot clock violation.
                    sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

• Originally posted by rocketstar47 View Post

wats ur favorite team?
                      Socsargen Marlins with The 6'1" Power Forward Mad Max Dellantes!

The ultimate Bulldog look-a-like!
                      You've got to have it to win it

Comment

• Originally posted by shootingbwakaw View Post
                        Originally posted by seigle42 View Post
                        forget it, we have a D-League
                        i don't get these posts LOL

are these expressions of disinterest or bitterness?

i mean the TS was only asking about our memory for this league

i think this league had a big impact against the PBA especially for the audiences outside Metro Manila. i actually felt a point where it became way more popular and the regional rivalry (for good or bad) was exciting and fun to watch.

i remember when i took college in Cebu (i'm originally from CDO), people would flock to the TVs of the food court in the Ayala Mall and watch the Cebu Gems games like the way people would watch the Pacquiao fights.

Comment

• I think the biggest contribution of the MBA to the world of basketball is the 8 second rule for a team to cross the half court line.

For the PBA, I believe it was the use of three referees instead of two in a ballgame.

As far as I know, the Philippines was the first to do these things. JP Mercado or Nardy, kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• Actually I dont really understand how MBA died. I like the concept and it has a very good fan base as well. How I wish MBA was successful. I like Pampanga Dragons and Cebu Gems during that time.

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information