X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-foot-tall, twelve year old boy...

Link: Kimatv.com

A Boy Who Kept Growing
    ELLENSBURG -- Brenden Adams may be the only one in the world with this condition -- that certainly makes him unique -- but to Brenden nothing's different about him at all.

At just 4-months-old Adams had all of his teeth.

"In kindergarten I was as tall as the 4th graders," Adams said, who as the years went on just kept growing and growing.

Within a recent two-and-a-half year period he grew 15 inches. At 5-years-old, he was as tall as his older brother, who was more than twice his age.

The reason why he's getting so much attention is that at nearly 7-feet-tall, Adams is only 12.

In the past couple years simple tasks have gotten a lot harder.

"Pretty much every place I go, I have to duck," said Adams.

He finally stopped growing this year, but he's got other medical conditions, like extremely large joints.

"Getting my socks on is kind of harder," he said.

But doctors can't explain it so they can't treat him, and they can't reassure his family that Adams will live a long life.

But if you ask Adams about his condition, he doesn't really give you many answers because to him, he's just like any other 12-year-old boy.

"I'm a little better at basketball than some others," he said.

Adams and his family will move into a new home next month -- one with taller ceilings and doorways so that Brenden won't need to duck to get around any more.

Some of Brenden's family friends just held a fund raiser for him so they could help buy him furniture he can fit in.
    Stuart
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

Image attached just in case.

As well as a video link interview with the boy.

Stuart
    Attached Files
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Wow! Extremely bizarre and interesting case. The only similar one I can recall is Robert Wadlow's (the tallest man ever), although in Wadlow's case at 13 he was already 2.24 m (7 ft 4 in). I don't know what is this boy's growing rhythm, but if he lives a long life and keeps on growing he can become the tallest human being ever.
      Wadlow had a normal appearence, although he suffered from a pituitary disorder, but this boy looks ill indeed. In the pic stuart provided he looked like a drawing to me at first, I had to watch the video to make sure. I hope he gets some treatment since I really don't expect that he lives long.
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

Wow!!! Awesume!!!

sigpic

Comment

It is interesting and a little frightening. Lets hope he will have strong body and will play basketball. I want to see 9ft player soon!

Comment

Video

Big target: Middle-school WR checks in at 7-4

The Morgan Middle School football team in Ellensburg, Wash., doesn't need a sheet to know when to go for the two-point conversion. It may have a sure-fire play: Just throw it to Brenden Adams. Adams, you see, is 7-foot-4.

That's right; the tallest teen-age boy in the world according to the Guinness Book of World Records is playing football this year. In middle school.

"This is the first year my mom's let me play," Adams told Melissa Luck, an executive producer for KXLY4 in Spokane. "She thought I was gonna get hurt or something. It's my favorite sport and she said this is an opportunity she didn't want me to miss."

Luck's story details Adams' growth and his love of the game.

First, his height.

He was an average newborn, measuring just over 19 inches. But by five months old, he had gained 14 pounds and had all of his teeth. At 2, he was 3-foot-5; by 5 he was 4-for-5. At ll, he was 6-foot-8. He's now 14.

Adams gave Luck the medical explanation for his growth: "It was my 12th chromosome that broke in half and flipped over and reattached," he said.

While his height makes strangers wonder if he's an athlete, the truth is, his height actually holds him back as it comes with serious health problems, including enlarged joints and unusual blood counts. He already has arthritis.

"I can't run anymore," Adams said in the story. "I can't be active like I used to."

Height, actually, is a detriment in football. While NFL players keep getting bigger, the truth is, it's usually bigger, not taller.

Two of the league's most famous tall players - Eagles' 6-8 receiver Harold Carmichael and Cowboys' 6-9 defensive end Ed "Too Tall" Jones - were stars more than a generation ago.

A quick search finds only two pro players who were taller than 7-feet: Richard Sligh, a 1967 draftee of the Raiders who was an even 7-0; and Bob Bobinghanger, who was 7-7 and played for a number of teams when pro football was in its infancy in the '40s.

Morris Stroud, who played for the Chiefs in 1970-74 is often recognized as the tallest player in the modern era at 6-10.

Adams will never make the NFL, but his height did help him earn a spot on Oprah - where he met (and looked down on) Shaquille O'Neal. He couldn't get a spot on the field until he was cleared by a doctor. Last year, he served as a team manager.

"This year he asked if he could play for the team," Kevin Wetzel, his coach, said. "I said if you can get a doctor's clearance, we'd be happy to have you."

Once that was approved, it was time to find his role. Since he's easily winded, only short passing routes made sense.

"He can't run, he can't really jump," Wetzel told the station. "There's not a whole lot he can do. If you want to get him some action, you have to be creative."

So they created a play: Adams takes a few steps, turns around and waits for the quarterback to loft him the ball.

And though he's only been on the field a few times this season, the payoff is unmistakable. When he's out there, he feels like just another teenager.

"Don't think people are weird just by the way they look," he said. "Because I'm a nice person."

It doesn't appear that he'll be the world's tallest person; that mark belongs to Sultan Kosen of Turkey, who measures just over 8-1.

Doctors have been giving Adams testosterone shots over the last several years to stop his growth. They appear to be working; he hasn't grown in the last six months.

Except, of course, as a football player.
            Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
            Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information