No announcement yet.

Being Owned vs Being Sponsored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European club basketball first of all needs excitement, if that would be present, the money would follow easily. That's the thing I keep arguing about for the past decade.
    If Belgium's 8th ranked club isn't able to generate money, Belgium's 1st ranked won't be able to do so either, or better said if 9th can, the multiplicative effect makes the job much easier for the 1st ranked. It's a pyramid. On a competition basis. It also goes across borders. Euroleague fails to acknowledge that and pursues short team financial benefit to long term one. Untill that changes, money generation in european basketball won't improve to the extent people would like it to. It really is that simple.

If level would be such an issue when it comes to generating income, than NCAA and Chinese league would generate enough money for their respective teams to each earn a burger and fries after the game. But I admit it's a nice excuse.
    Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
      Yes, basketball needs more private investors with capital and new ideas. But like we know, investors come where they see opportunities, I’m afraid not in the basketball at the moment. And my dear Fener fans, you need strong Oly, Pao, Cska, Barca, Real, Bayern...if you really want to enjoy success of your club. Next year Doncic won’t be in Euroleague anymore. Wana want desperately to go in Nba and De Colo said that he wants to try once more in the Nba, maybe Vesely and some others too. Do you really want to watch and win a league, where Datome is the biggest star?
      If some star players go to nba , some stars come to Europe. Ser-rod has returned , some other Europeans may return next year. Also some American bench warmers can come to Europe to make a new start such as Udoh and Randolph did. Nba teams can have 15+2 players so every year some basketball players will be in a nba some of them will be out.This is not a one sided way . European basketball team will lose their stars but they will get opportunity to raise or find the new ones.

We don't bother strong rivals we have enough strength to deal with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cemalex View Post
        If some star players go to nba , some stars come to Europe. Ser-rod has returned , some other Europeans may return next year. Also some American bench warmers can come to Europe to make a new start such as Udoh and Randolph did. Nba teams can have 15+2 players so every year some basketball players will be in a nba some of them will be out.This is not a one sided way . European basketball team will lose their stars but they will get opportunity to raise or find the new ones.

We don't bother strong rivals we have enough strength to deal with them.
        If you don’t see how quality of Euroleague is going down rapidly, I can’t say anything more. 90% of Americans are a joke.
        previously known as Beno

Comment

Do you really want to watch and win a league, where Datome is the biggest star?
          Ouch
          "Fans never fall asleep at our games, because they're afraid they might get hit by a pass." —George Raveling

"If I weren’t earning $3 million a year to dunk a basketball, most people on the street would run in the other direction if they saw me coming."—Charles Barkley

"You are really funny thinking that you will be the ones to kick PANATHINAIKOS out of euroleague. We will do it ourselves." - saras (not the player )

Comment

When did this become a financial discussion? I never claimed things would be easier financially for a club without an owner. Financial problems of Euroleague and European basketball are much more complicated for such a simplistic approach.

All I argue is how an average fan feels about it - I'd be in much more dread and disgust if Yıldırım were an owner, for example. And to know that you, a financially average person, can become a manager or president in the club through merit is very refreshing.
            Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
            Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
            Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
            Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

Originally posted by vivo View Post
              When did this become a financial discussion? I never claimed things would be easier financially for a club without an owner. Financial problems of Euroleague and European basketball are much more complicated for such a simplistic approach.

All I argue is how an average fan feels about it - I'd be in much more dread and disgust if Yıldırım were an owner, for example. And to know that you, a financially average person, can become a manager or president in the club through merit is very refreshing.
              private owners will always try to choose the best team to manage their business and that's not many times case for citizen ownership.
              previously known as Beno

Comment

Yes, basketball needs more private investors with capital and new ideas. But like we know, investors come where they see opportunities, I’m afraid not in the basketball at the moment. And my dear Fener fans, you need strong Oly, Pao, Cska, Barca, Real, Bayern...if you really want to enjoy success of your club. Next year Doncic won’t be in Euroleague anymore. Wana want desperately to go in Nba and De Colo said that he wants to try once more in the Nba, maybe Vesely and some others too. Do you really want to watch and win a league, where Datome is the biggest star?
                Llull will remain forever and ever!

Comment

Originally posted by vivo View Post

so you believe you have a chance to run your team? I guess if you "donate" enough money to buy that position you could. but isn't that you purchasing the team to do as you want? call it what you will, but whoever is at the top making the decisions pretty much owns it and can do what they want as long as they start with "for the good of the team" to quite its fans.

Comment

I am striving to understand what exactly the discussion topic is. If I understand correctly, it's about how fans feel about their teams being under private ownership status? If I am not mistaken, private ownership is pretty much the standard in professional sports. Should the huge majority of teams’ fans around the world feel bad about this?

Owners can be good or bad but so can presidents be. After all, elected presidents are managing someone else’s money and certainly not without any limitations. What's more important is the quality of the management and actual results/ performance relative to expectations. Any ownership status per se is irrelevant to the fan. Owners/ presidents/ sponsors come and go but teams and fans are there to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Chacho View Post
                      Llull will remain forever and ever!
                      Huston is calling.
                      previously known as Beno

Comment

Huston is calling.
                        For 295378th time.

Comment

Originally posted by Oly_fan View Post
                          I prefer whichever one doesn't change the name of my team.
                          That is VERY important for me as well. I would rather have less budget, but the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Pero View Post
                            I am striving to understand what exactly the discussion topic is. If I understand correctly, it's about how fans feel about their teams being under private ownership status? If I am not mistaken, private ownership is pretty much the standard in professional sports. Should the huge majority of teams’ fans around the world feel bad about this?

Owners can be good or bad but so can presidents be. After all, elected presidents are managing someone else’s money and certainly not without any limitations. What's more important is the quality of the management and actual results/ performance relative to expectations. Any ownership status per se is irrelevant to the fan. Owners/ presidents/ sponsors come and go but teams and fans are there to stay.
                            Yeah, I am also not clear. As far as I understand somebody must own the club. Which EL clubs are not owned by somebody? I guess they mean owned by city or government or what?

I personally do not even know who owns my club.

Comment

Originally posted by INTEGRAL View Post
                              Being owned is pathetic. I don't understand how some teams' fans let their club to be sold
                              Its not pathetic..For Greek clubs its the reality..Greek league and its market will never attract big sponsorship deals..For example Pao's biggest sponsor Superfoods is a company of its owner..Oly's biggest is a fucking bet game with a ridiculous logo that irritates me..If it wasnt for the 2 families our teams would be at a Eurocup level...

Comment

I cannot see how this matters from the perspective of a fan. Most of you will find the way your particular clubs are governed the best anyway.
                                5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information