No announcement yet.

Next Commissioner of the PBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never expected any conflict to be resolved by the Board. So many statements have been released by both camps, it's unlikely they'll stand down to what they've already committed themselves.

The ball really is with Narvasa. Decency, professionalism and right frame of mind dictate that he should offer his courtesy resignation - for the mere fact that 7 of the 12 members of the Board have already lost their trust in him. He wouldn't be able to govern properly, his decisions may be ignored by the seven, making him a complete lameduck. I don't know of any Commissioner who would cling to his post so desperately while putting up with the hypocritical stand of "fighting for the proper procedure" when it's only mere technicality of the rules that allows him to stay in his job. Messrs. Prieto, Yenko, Salud, Marquez, Bernardino, Eala, Barrios, and the younger Salud would have opted to leave and avoid further embarrassment.

I understand if Narvasa is holding a rank-and-file position and would opt to have this matter settled legally as a way of protecting his rights. But for someone who's been in the corporate world for a considerable amount of time, Narvasa seems oblivious that all executive positions have already tendered their resignation letters upon assumption of office. It's just a matter for his superiors to determine whether they'll accept the resignation or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
      http://m.spin.ph/basketball/pba/news...chito-narvasag

Mr. Sy wants Malacanang to intervene, which is exactly what will get us suspended. San Miguel already got what they wanted but by standing pat with Narvasa it only means that they want more.

Why would we get suspended? As far as i know only disputes in basketball federations would warrant that. The PBA is a just stakeholder of SBP. Enzo Flojo the "FIBA columnist" suggested this too.
      DO or DO NOT there is no TRY... yoda

Comment

• Government intervention in internal basketball matters is a ground for suspension even if the issue is not in the national federation. Japan was suspended even if there was no dispute in the JBA but because they had 2 pro leagues which refused to merge with each other.
        The governing body of basketball suspended the Japan Basketball Association on Wednesday, a decision that will prevent the country's national teams from taking part in the Olympics and other international competitions.
        Last edited by mangangalakal; 11-10-2017, 10:30 AM.
        “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
        -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

• Is there a concession between the SMC bloc and the PBA Board that (SMC bloc) players will be made available for Gilas as long as Narvasa stays as the kume?
          Following Pinoy Hoops While Doing The Laundry At The Same Time!
          #labapilipinas

Comment

• Shouldn’t the PBA rules and bylaws be clear regarding the reappointment/extension of the commisioner? If he’s appointed by a majority vote of the board then it’s obvious that he won’t be getting reappointed.

Comment

• Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
              Government intervention in internal basketball matters is a ground for suspension even if the issue is not in the national federation. Japan was suspended even if there was no dispute in the JBA but because they had 2 pro leagues which refused to merge with each other.
              http://www.espn.com/olympics/basketb...-merge-leagues
              That's odd, the PBA and players are still under the regulatory of GAB. The government still has the power to control and maintain professional sports. The commish problem is a lot more of a labor dispute more than anything else. The japan debacle is a litte shady, and a bully move by FIBA. Its like countries cant have two professional leagues now?
              DO or DO NOT there is no TRY... yoda

Comment

• Originally posted by hoopaddict View Post
                Why would we get suspended? As far as i know only disputes in basketball federations would warrant that. The PBA is a just stakeholder of SBP. Enzo Flojo the "FIBA columnist" suggested this too.
                Philippines will not be banned by Fiba if ever the renegade 7 pulls out since it will be the signal of the eventual death of PBA.So no two competing leagues to speak of. With only SMC teams and for sure no TV coverage as ESPN 5 and Rush are under MVP. It is easy for the 7 teams to lure potential applicants like Racal, Hapee, Flying V in joining the newly formed league than these teams joining the PBA-SMC intramurals. With that line of thinking, no suspension since there will only be one league and that is not the PBA.

Comment

That's odd, the PBA and players are still under the regulatory of GAB. The government still has the power to control and maintain professional sports. The commish problem is a lot more of a labor dispute more than anything else. The japan debacle is a litte shady, and a bully move by FIBA. Its like countries cant have two professional leagues now?
                  Anybody have more info on why FIBA banned Japan just because they have 2 professional leagues? I don't know how that should affect FIBA

Comment

I agree with your points. My point is we have to be careful about calling for government intervention in this issue because it CAN be construed as impermissible government interference. The Japan case is similar but NOT exactly the same.
                    I'm also not sure if the GAB can step into this issue, but AFAIK, their jurisdiction is limited to preventing illegal betting in professional sports.
                    Last edited by mangangalakal; 11-15-2017, 08:35 AM.
                    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
                    -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

• Congratulations Willie Marcial.

Comment

• Eric Menk has some very good points here about the way the PBA handled this new commisioner appointment.
                        The OIC was supposed to bring up a committee to be able to find the new face of the league office but ended up being the face himself.
                        I thought that was lazy of the board to say one then do another.
                        Willie Marcial might be the right man for the job, but they could have at least had a few interviewed and had a glimpse of what other candidates’ idea on how the PBA can relive it’s glory days.

Comment

• PBA mediocre all this years, ningas kugon.. Board just wanted to replace Narvasa and will not put much effort or money to hire a headhunter (as if they have idea in selecting the right guy for a Philippine Basketball league) will just go to the obvious choice.

Di na nadala yun si barrion ang OIC siya na lang din ang pinili after PBA board can't hire Lambert Ramos, a corporate guy as kume
                          To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                          1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information