This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gian Chiu at NCAA Div III

Found this link where Gian is now a Freshman at Oberlin College, Ohio. He is the tallest in the group at 6'9 and mentions Philippines as his hometown. :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pinoy cagers hone skills in US leagues
    By Joaquin Henson
    Thursday, November 15, 2007

Three tall Filipino teenagers are now enrolled in US schools to hone their basketball skills in the hope of someday playing for the country in international competitions.

While they’re considered “projects,” there’s no doubt the future is bright in the cage careers of 6-9 Japeth Aguilar of Western Kentucky University, 6-9 Gian Chiu of Oberlin College and 6-11 Jericho de Guzman of Martin Methodist College.

Aguilar, who played two years for the Ateneo seniors, is averaging 3.7 points, 3.3 rebounds and 15.3 minutes for the Hilltoppers this season. Against Kennesaw State last Friday, he compiled six points, three rebounds and four turnovers in 17 minutes as the varsity won, 96-61.

Western Kentucky is an NCAA Division I school that has produced NBA players Clarence Glover and Jim McDaniels. Another graduate was Fil-Am Kurtis Townsend, now University of Kansas assistant coach. Townsend’s brother Ray played for UCLA and Golden State and Indiana in the NBA.

Aguilar was recruited by Hilltoppers coach Darrin Horn who has a reputation for spotting potential talent. Horn was credited for recruiting Dwayne Wade for Marquette. Aguilar and the Ivory Coast’s Desire Gabon are the only foreigners in Horn’s roster.

Chiu, 18, makes his NCAA Division III debut against Swarthmore College tomorrow. He played two years for Desert Christian high school in California before moving to Oberlin in Ohio. As a senior at Desert Christian, Chiu averaged 16.6 points, 11.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocked shots. He hit .520 from the field, scored at least 20 points in eight of 24 games and fired a high of 29 in Desert Christian’s 62-48 win over Bloomington Christian. Chiu earned All-Conference second team honors and was named to the World Quest Academic team for being an A-student.

Oberlin coach Isaiah Cavaco said Chiu is the Yeomen’s cornerstone. “Gian is an imposing presence in the paint on both ends of the floor,” said Cavaco. “We haven’t had size like this in the last three years and he will add a whole new dimension to our team. He is very skilled with both hands, has great balance and is extremely long. I am looking forward to seeing what exactly Gian can do and helping him become a top player in our conference.”

The other day, Chiu collected 11 points, 12 rebounds and four blocked shots in an Oberlin pre-season game.

Chiu played for the Ateneo juniors before he was referred by Golden State Warriors scout Ron Michaels to Desert Christian for a tryout. Michaels saw Chiu play at the Nike camp in China.

Chiu’s mother Mary Ann, a Metro Bank branch manager, said her son’s dream is to play for the national team.

“Coach Luigi Trillo called to ask if Gian would be available to play 3-on-3 for the Philippines in the recent Asian Indoor Games in Macau,” said Mary Ann. “Gian was able to get permission from his coach to play but we didn’t hear from coach Luigi again. He probably chose players who were already familiar with each other.”

Chiu’s younger brother Luigi, 16, is 6-2 but isn’t into basketball. His parents are both tall – father Emerson is 6-1 and Mary Ann, 5-11.

Although Chiu plays in Division III, he said the experience will go a long way in developing his game. “Whether it’s Division I or III, Gian believes the important thing is he learns and improves,” said his mother.

De Guzman is red-shirting as a sophomore at National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) contender Martin Methodist in Pulaski, Tennessee. Redhawks coach Andy Sharpe will likely activate De Guzman next season.

De Guzman played briefly for FEU’s B-team before leaving for the US.

FEU team owner Anton Montinola said De Guzman was with FEU only a few months. “He was sent to the US to train in a big man’s camp,” added Montinola. “Very raw but he’s a legit 6-11.”

De Guzman has been likened to 7-foot E. J. Feihl. With US training, he could develop into an inside force for the national team in the future.

A Fil-Am who decided to play in the Philippines is 6-11 Greg Fuentes Slaughter. The teenager is now enrolled at the University of the Visayas.
    Last edited by chokois; 11-15-2007, 05:47 AM.

imagine having samigue eman, gian chui, japeth aguilar, greg slaughter, naturalized sam ekwe and another Filipino guy 6'9" that i forgot the name in the national team, we can now compete against the taller guys. we would never run out of tall centers in FIBA games..

Comment

Originally posted by bestkept
      imagine having samigue eman, gian chui, japeth aguilar, greg slaughter, naturalized sam ekwe and another Filipino guy 6'9" that i forgot the name in the national team, we can now compete against the taller guys. we would never run out of tall centers in FIBA games..
      I mean they all wouldn't be on the team at time. But we'll have a better pool of big men to chose from. They'll compete for those 4 to 5 Power Forward/Center spots. It'll be interesting. Now it's like Asi and Pennisi gets one of the 2 or 3 Forward spots by default.
      THE BEST KEPT SECRET
      -BALL TIL i FALL-

Comment

by the way, about Jericho De Guzman, his name is not anymore on the roster of Martin Methodist Men's Basketball Team.

I dont know why. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by chokois
          by the way, about Jericho De Guzman, his name is not anymore on the roster of Martin Methodist Men's Basketball Team.

Maybe because he's redshirting this year. But then again, I don't think the NAIA has provisions for redshirting. Even transfers from NCAA schools can play immediately without sitting out a year.
          Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Here is another guy that can possibly the RP national team one day. I personal friend of mind. 6'3 scorer. Bigger and taller than Cagiuoa.

Last edited by HoopNightmare; 11-15-2007, 06:06 AM.
            THE BEST KEPT SECRET
            -BALL TIL i FALL-

Comment

Originally posted by chokois

maybe they are updating the site...

Comment

Originally posted by JonarSabilano
                Maybe because he's redshirting this year. But then again, I don't think the NAIA has provisions for redshirting. Even transfers from NCAA schools can play immediately without sitting out a year.
                The lesser known Filipino giant in America has signed up with an NAIA Division I program. 6-11 Pampanga native Jericho De Guzman is currently redshirting at Martin Methodist College Redhawks in Pulaski, Tennessee where he is currently the tallest player on the roster. He will sit out a year after transferring from Far Eastern University in Manila, Philippines. The 210-pound forward/center will first see action as a Junior Redhawk next year.

Comment

Originally posted by JonarSabilano
                  Athletics Dept. - Martin Methodist College
                  433 West Madison Street
                  Pulaski, Tennessee 38478-2799
                  Ph: 931-363-9868 • Toll-Free: 800-467-1273

Contact these people and see what they say...
                  THE BEST KEPT SECRET
                  -BALL TIL i FALL-

Comment

Originally posted by HoopNightmare
                    Here is another guy that can possibly the RP national team one day. I personal friend of mind. 6'3 scorer. Bigger and taller than Cagiuoa.

http://goswords.cstv.com/sports/m-ba...o_james00.html
                    james francisco is not a good player to be in the pba or in the national team. i've seen this guy play and he's just an ordinary player. any marquee college player in UAAP and NCAA or even CESAFI today can beat this guy one on one.
                    "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

same old news....

weve been talking about these players for months...

time to move on... time to look for different players...

Comment

Comment

gregory slaughter, gian chiu, eman samigue, naturalized player, asi taulava, etc...
                          whoooo hoooo! big men at last!

Comment

its friday... Gian's first game..

Comment

In my humble opinion, of the 3 Philippine-Born Cagers playing for some US schools (Japeth, Gian, Jericho), i can see the greatest potential for Gian Chiu.. I dont know but I think Gian will definitely be one of the finest Bballers in the Philippines in the next 4 years or so. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information