Other Fil-For Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jramoyo View Post
    but how did Norwood get his citizenship? if i am not mistaken, his citizenship was traced via his grandmother being a filipino...
    that's what I am saying or should I repeat it again:

since they are doing it even if it is unlawful that we should keep on doing it.
    when are we going to stop. Before we had players that has questionable ages in our youth team, but we stopped doing that practice as it is not right. So how different it is with the the citizenship issue.

We had set a law and we should follow them. If they are outdated then amendments should be enacted. But for the time being what is written in our laws is what should be followed.

We complain about other countries not playing a fair game but we ourselves are not fair. Let's just do it the correct way, but that's only my opinion.
    Last edited by nardy; 10-06-2009, 10:29 AM.
    LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
    Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

i think you NEED to pass the UPCAT (i mean seriously, it is not too difficult to get a 3.00 in UPCAT), but you don't necessarily have to make the cut-off grade

one can always opt for a re-consideration -- for regular students, all it takes is to seat-out one semester (that's what i did). i guess they can make special arrangements for athletes.

also, i'm not so sure if the increased tuition will help recruitment -- and personally, i hope it won't. that money should be exclusively spent for improving the academic facilities for the students. using that money for recruitment would surely end-up with massive rallies and demonstrations from the students
      ahh you just have a different mind-set about things I don't know if the UP Chancellors or the Regents would agree with what you are suggesting.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
      THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

i think you NEED to pass the UPCAT (i mean seriously, it is not too difficult to get a 3.00 in UPCAT), but you don't necessarily have to make the cut-off grade

one can always opt for a re-consideration -- for regular students, all it takes is to seat-out one semester (that's what i did). i guess they can make special arrangements for athletes.

also, i'm not so sure if the increased tuition will help recruitment -- and personally, i hope it won't. that money should be exclusively spent for improving the academic facilities for the students. using that money for recruitment would surely end-up with massive rallies and demonstrations from the students

I've played at the CHK Gym with HS classmates before. It was hot, and the facilities were dilapidated. At one point, the rim was one inch lower than the standard. And to think that students also use that building for classes.

From what I understand, the mini-gym (or giant waiting shed or whatever) between the main CHK building and Commonwealth Avenue, part of it straddling the perimeter fence, was supposed to be a practice facility for UP's varsity teams. Lack of funding left it unfinished. Now, only PE classes use it.

Which is sad, actually. UPLB has a spanking-new Centennial Gymnasium, so why can't Diliman get one of its own? And I thought UP was mandated to be the country's sports development university?
        Keep running, big boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by JonarSabilano View Post
          I've played at the CHK Gym with HS classmates before. It was hot, and the facilities were dilapidated. At one point, the rim was one inch lower than the standard. And to think that students also use that building for classes.

From what I understand, the mini-gym (or giant waiting shed or whatever) between the main CHK building and Commonwealth Avenue, part of it straddling the perimeter fence, was supposed to be a practice facility for UP's varsity teams. Lack of funding left it unfinished. Now, only PE classes use it.

Which is sad, actually. UPLB has a spanking-new Centennial Gymnasium, so why can't Diliman get one of its own? And I thought UP was mandated to be the country's sports development university?
          it's sad but it is due to too much politics

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
          THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ARISTOTLE View Post
            There is a cut-off grade and it depends on your course. Across the board you have to get 2.25 or higher. That is the passing rate for UPCAT. The passing rate you mentioned is when you already are ENROLLED and AN OFFICIAL student. AND IT IS NOT EASY GETTING A 3.0 in UP. Maybe you are one of those ace students who can pass a subject without attending a class? hehe.
            i see, thanks for the clarification. it's just that from my understanding, the grading system in UPCAT is no different -- 3.00 or higher, means you passed. but of course, a grade of 3.00 is not good enough to get accepted in any course (as you've said, it should at least be 2.25). Mine was 2.17 and it wasn't good enough to get accepted (yes, i am quite bitter about it) hence, i had to go via the "re-consideration" route...
            Jarinx Basketball @BuzzerBeater.com
            http://www.buzzerbeater.com/team/107143/overview.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
              ahh you just have a different mind-set about things I don't know if the UP Chancellors or the Regents would agree with what you are suggesting.
              that's the reason why few people actually likes the chancy :-D

ask any UP student which one he/she prefers: get UP back to being a top 10 asian university or win a UAAP championship in basketball...
              Jarinx Basketball @BuzzerBeater.com
              http://www.buzzerbeater.com/team/107143/overview.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by gergerbinx View Post
                Yes. UP does have a talented bunch of players but they're very thin in their frontcourt. Part of it is that they have the worst recruiting program in UAAP. They're worst not because they are not good in finding talents, but because they're dead last in acquiring these talented players. the main problem is this, Before anyone could suit-up in maroon, they should basically have to pass the UPCAT exam which is far-more difficult than those entrance exams offered by other schools. in the end, most of these players suit for other schools while UP have to rely on luck for their bets to pass their nosebleed exam. however, despite these constraints, they where able to get quality talents. UP is indeed lucky. but we cannot rely on luck alone. something must be done.

You are totally mistaken about the UP sports program. A sizeable number of UP athletes did not come through the front door of UP, having passed the UPCAT. Other athletes specially in the glamour sports were accepted to UP without taking the UPCAT, they were accepted as "VAAS scholars" which means they were accepted by UP because of their ability to play a particular sports and no entrance test was taken by the athlete. Also, the VAAS scholars on most cases do not take mainsteam courses but the athletes have to earn the minimum grades to meet the eligibility requirements.

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
                  Just got a confirmation email from a top officer of RiseOfTheSon
                  On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Robby Penalosa <bklynaznraven@msn.com> wrote:

"Tito Nardy,
                  this was the description his father gave me. He more likely could be 6'1 and be 6'2 w/ sneakers on. He plays as a guard and is playing w/ highly competitive AAU teams over in California. I will definitely keep you updated."

but am still awaiting word on Jared Dizon's actual birthday.

Just some clarification.

At the time of the RiseoftheSon publication, Jared was still 13. He turned 14 on 9/24.

Also, barefooted, he stands 6'1.5. With socks, tape, ankle brace and hyperdunks, he's over 6'2.

If he can only palm the ball, he will be able to flush it cleanly. At this time, he has to cup the ball to jam it.

Hope this answers some questions.

Comment

• It took freshman Matthew Rosser's family a bit longer to make the trip. They drove.

James A. and Gina G. Rosser and their sons Brandon and Jason left Temecula, Calif., last Sunday. Including stops and visits with friends in Chicago, Philadelphia and Springfield, Va., they'll have put about 6,000 miles on, and $450 worth of gas in, their 2005 Dodge Durango - and they won't have seen Matthew play.

"Even though he's just a freshman, we still felt we had to be here," James Rosser said. "We've definitely stayed in budget hotels, but I think the whole trip's going to be around $3,500."

Matt Rosser 6'5
                    Brandon Rosser 6'3 15yrs old
                    Jason Rosser????????????

Comment

• Originally posted by GIBO View Post
                      Just some clarification.

At the time of the RiseoftheSon publication, Jared was still 13. He turned 14 on 9/24.

Also, barefooted, he stands 6'1.5. With socks, tape, ankle brace and hyperdunks, he's over 6'2.

If he can only palm the ball, he will be able to flush it cleanly. At this time, he has to cup the ball to jam it.

Hope this answers some questions.
                      I cannot understand that at a 6'2 player has a very short fingers & palm.

Normally if your 5'9" and up based on your body proportion you can easily palm a ball already no matter your age is.
                      MR. T. --->>> PACLAND

Comment

• Originally posted by nardong_putik View Post
                        I cannot understand that at a 6'2 player has a very short fingers & palm.

Normally if your 5'9" and up based on your body proportion you can easily palm a ball already no matter your age is.
                        I agree..I'm 5'9" and palming the ball is as easy as ABC..but really, he does not look like he is over 6 ft..I'm not saying he is not though..

Comment

• Originally posted by than11 View Post
                          I agree..I'm 5'9" and palming the ball is as easy as ABC..but really, he does not look like he is over 6 ft..I'm not saying he is not though..
                          I think we need more clarification.

Sure, he can palm the ball, since 7th grade if I remember correctly.

He's just not able to palm it all the way for a clean flush. Short fingers or whatever the case may be, all part of growing pains. Besides, if you can jam it by cupping the rock, you are getting up higher than you would on a normal flush.

Anyway, he may not look above 6ft in that picture, but he is.

Cheers,
                          G

Comment

• 6'0", 6'1", or 6'2"...He is still tall for his position. And by the looks of it, he got game..another nice prospect to track..

Comment

• Originally posted by BLUE HORSE View Post
                              You are totally mistaken about the UP sports program. A sizeable number of UP athletes did not come through the front door of UP, having passed the UPCAT. Other athletes specially in the glamour sports were accepted to UP without taking the UPCAT, they were accepted as "VAAS scholars" which means they were accepted by UP because of their ability to play a particular sports and no entrance test was taken by the athlete. Also, the VAAS scholars on most cases do not take mainsteam courses but the athletes have to earn the minimum grades to meet the eligibility requirements.
                              That is absolutely correct. You are recruited or you try-out. Then offered a VAAS scholarship with certain conditions. Then you're free to choose a course. I'm just not sure though if they would let you take the higher quota courses like Computer Science/Engineering or Actuarial Studies.

Comment

• Student athletes in UP must maintain a GWA of 2.0 or 2.5 if they still want to attain benefits.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information