Page 47 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 1987

Thread: Other Fil-For Prospects

  1. #921
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paolylo View Post
    i'm just another fan amazed by the diligence of some IBN forumers who google info on these prospects. looking back at this thread... there are only a few names worth mentioning:

    Jared Dilinger - we know what happened to him.
    Christian Standhardinger - we know about him.
    Chris Blake - the only other real prospect with height. doesn't play for a Div 1 school though.
    Jordan Brickman - Blake's HS teammate, recruited by Navy, either red-shirted or didn't make the lineup... a guard.
    Michael Williams - gets significant playing time with San Fransisco... another guard.
    GJ Vilarino - is he Filipino? if he is, he's probably the one with the best program (Gonzaga)... also a guard.

    notice anything? of the ones surely Filipino, all don't have Filipino-sounding names thanks to their foreign dads (don't forget Pringle and Lutz). so it either takes online stalking or actual scouting to know if a player has Filipino blood. come to think of it, the same goes for the ones with Filipino-sounding names.

    i do have reservations on reading about young kids here. we won't know if they'll want to play the game for a living unless they turn out to be very good high school players. don't we have enough kids in the country being eyed by Alex Compton's NBTC? what we might not have are tall kids who can play center or even forward internationally when they grow up.
    a friend told me that there is this explosive scorer in a league in NYC. i told him to approach that boy but his mom would hear none of it. i even informed coach djalma arnedo about this matter.

  2. #922
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The World is Paris
    Posts
    1,809
    Country: France

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paolylo View Post
    i'm just another fan amazed by the diligence of some IBN forumers who google info on these prospects. looking back at this thread... there are only a few names worth mentioning:

    Jared Dilinger - we know what happened to him.
    Christian Standhardinger - we know about him.
    Chris Blake - the only other real prospect with height. doesn't play for a Div 1 school though.
    Jordan Brickman - Blake's HS teammate, recruited by Navy, either red-shirted or didn't make the lineup... a guard.
    Michael Williams - gets significant playing time with San Fransisco... another guard.
    GJ Vilarino - is he Filipino? if he is, he's probably the one with the best program (Gonzaga)... also a guard.

    notice anything? of the ones surely Filipino, all don't have Filipino-sounding names thanks to their foreign dads (don't forget Pringle and Lutz). so it either takes online stalking or actual scouting to know if a player has Filipino blood. come to think of it, the same goes for the ones with Filipino-sounding names.

    i do have reservations on reading about young kids here. we won't know if they'll want to play the game for a living unless they turn out to be very good high school players. don't we have enough kids in the country being eyed by Alex Compton's NBTC? what we might not have are tall kids who can play center or even forward internationally when they grow up.
    well, like i said having 100 over-hyped prospects is better than losing 1 NT-caliber player.

    on the point of filipino-sounding names, we should think out of the box. what may i ask is a filipino-sounding name? majority of pinoys have english first names and spanish surnames. so a williams does not sound pinoy, but a rodriguez does?

    i think we should not confine the definition of a real pinoy to malay-looking brown skinned spanish-surnamed people. being pinoy is a state of mind. a state of heart even. that's why taulava is embraced by a lot of pinoy fans. even if we all know he doesn't really have any pinoy blood.

    and why should we constrict ourselves to so-called pure blooded or home-bred pinoys for our NT? Britain has Luol Deng. that obviously is not a brit-sounding name. same case as france's boris diaw, as well as the so-called bra-syrians.

    maybe you can just start a thread of your own. this thread can cover ALL fil-for prospects. if a prospect turns out to be really good, maybe he can be discussed in say a thread titled: "Elite Fil-For Prospects."

    again, on the point of being pinoy, maybe you can try looking for a copy of this outstanding Eddie Romero film starring Boyet de Leon: "Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon?"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganito_...no_Kayo_Ngayon
    http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...MOVIE+PICTURES
    Small ball no more:

    6'11" Kai "the KAIscraper" Sotto
    6'10" Ethan "the Big E" Kirkness
    6'9" A.J. "the Pinoy Freak" Edu

  3. #923
    Senior Member bsgermany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    557

    Default

    [QUOTE=paolylo;373671]
    Christian Standhardinger - we know about him.

    Germany also knows about him.

    He played for German youth NT's already, and Germany has the better perspectives considering that with the participation in the World Champs in Turkey, they are already qualified for the next final Euro Champs tournament, which is the qualifyer for the next Olympics. On top of that, the German NT has finally started to rebuild with young talents behind their NBA stars Nowitzki and Kaman, who have already expressed their strong interest in the coming challenges.
    So why should Standhardinger leave his current path to play for the Philippines instead aside from the problem, that the German basketball association would need to approve that too since he's already been wearing their jersey in official matches?

  4. #924
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patay-butiki View Post
    well, like i said having 100 over-hyped prospects is better than losing 1 NT-caliber player.

    on the point of filipino-sounding names, we should think out of the box. what may i ask is a filipino-sounding name? majority of pinoys have english first names and spanish surnames. so a williams does not sound pinoy, but a rodriguez does?

    i think we should not confine the definition of a real pinoy to malay-looking brown skinned spanish-surnamed people. being pinoy is a state of mind. a state of heart even. that's why taulava is embraced by a lot of pinoy fans. even if we all know he doesn't really have any pinoy blood.

    and why should we constrict ourselves to so-called pure blooded or home-bred pinoys for our NT? Britain has Luol Deng. that obviously is not a brit-sounding name. same case as france's boris diaw, as well as the so-called bra-syrians.

    maybe you can just start a thread of your own. this thread can cover ALL fil-for prospects. if a prospect turns out to be really good, maybe he can be discussed in say a thread titled: "Elite Fil-For Prospects."

    again, on the point of being pinoy, maybe you can try looking for a copy of this outstanding Eddie Romero film starring Boyet de Leon: "Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon?"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganito_...no_Kayo_Ngayon
    http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...MOVIE+PICTURES
    i was actually thinking of a thread titled: "legit Fil-For Prospects taller than 6'4 wanting to play in the Philippines"

    i'm not constricting myself to having pure blooded/home-bred Pinoys for our NT or any local league, but establishing Filipino lineage is all that matters to our basketball officials considering our jus sanguinis policy of citizenship. that's the job of real scouts with connections talking to families of prospects, not sports fan bloggers using Google.

    i don't mind if a player doesn't have that Manila State of Mind as long as he'll be allowed to play. also consider if a Fil-For will turn out like an Alapag or a Helterbrand, not some one-and-done player who'll be recruited/drafted, ride the bench, and be cut in a few years. that's a waste of resources if you ask me.

    thanks for the movie recommend, i hope there's a fake DVD if it's hard to find.


    @bsgermany
    yes, we know about that too. good luck with future Euro competitions.

  5. #925
    Senior Member Alex07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    bahay
    Posts
    6,159

    Default

    [QUOTE=bsgermany;373892]
    Quote Originally Posted by paolylo View Post
    Christian Standhardinger - we know about him.

    Germany also knows about him.

    He played for German youth NT's already, and Germany has the better perspectives considering that with the participation in the World Champs in Turkey, they are already qualified for the next final Euro Champs tournament, which is the qualifyer for the next Olympics. On top of that, the German NT has finally started to rebuild with young talents behind their NBA stars Nowitzki and Kaman, who have already expressed their strong interest in the coming challenges.
    So why should Standhardinger leave his current path to play for the Philippines instead aside from the problem, that the German basketball association would need to approve that too since he's already been wearing their jersey in official matches?
    Let the kid decide for himself you have been telling us he's not allowed to play for us a number of times already...I'm not here for a tug of war or something but if he plays for Germany in Istanbul then that would be great for him and I wish him luck.I sense the kid is smart and knows what he wants.
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

  6. #926
    Senior Member bsgermany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    557

    Default

    [QUOTE=Alex07;373914]
    Quote Originally Posted by bsgermany View Post

    Let the kid decide for himself you have been telling us he's not allowed to play for us a number of times already...I'm not here for a tug of war or something but if he plays for Germany in Istanbul then that would be great for him and I wish him luck.I sense the kid is smart and knows what he wants.
    As long as some people here list him as a Filipino, I am surely allowed to point out that he's still German - still 100% as far as basketball regulations are concerned.

    @ Alex07: You are allowed to write what you want - so am I! If you don't like it - don't read it.
    I am sure that Istanbul will probably be too early for him, but I am curious about the following Euro Champs.

  7. #927
    Senior Member Alex07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    bahay
    Posts
    6,159

    Default

    [QUOTE=bsgermany;373966]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex07 View Post

    As long as some people here list him as a Filipino, I am surely allowed to point out that he's still German - still 100% as far as basketball regulations are concerned.

    @ Alex07: You are allowed to write what you want - so am I! If you don't like it - don't read it.
    I am sure that Istanbul will probably be too early for him, but I am curious about the following Euro Champs.
    I'm not telling you not to write..I'm just telling you that it's getting annoying(so that you may know).So what if they tell you he's part Filipino..It will all depend to him where he wants to play and I'm not saying that he playing for RP is a good chance.The thing is you are getting threatened that he could be pirated by another country is a far fetched idea.I got your point,now please stopped being threatened.cheers
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

  8. #928
    Senior Member bsgermany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    557

    Default

    [QUOTE=Alex07;374019]
    Quote Originally Posted by bsgermany View Post

    I'm not telling you not to write..I'm just telling you that it's getting annoying(so that you may know).So what if they tell you he's part Filipino..It will all depend to him where he wants to play and I'm not saying that he playing for RP is a good chance.The thing is you are getting threatened that he could be pirated by another country is a far fetched idea.I got your point,now please stopped being threatened.cheers
    Just a little correction - if the German basketball association would not agree to let him go, he will not go since he already played for them.
    Feeling threatened doesn't really describe it, since Germany is in the much better position anyway. Actually he is already playing for Germany and rumours about him playing for the Philippines are only coming up among Pinoy fans here in the forum.
    ...but I agree, enough about that since I'm sure anyway that Chris will know himself what's best for his career.

  9. #929

    Default

    well I guess Philippines gain (if ever) will be Germany's loss...

  10. #930
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The World is Paris
    Posts
    1,809
    Country: France

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paolylo View Post
    i was actually thinking of a thread titled: "legit Fil-For Prospects taller than 6'4 wanting to play in the Philippines"

    i'm not constricting myself to having pure blooded/home-bred Pinoys for our NT or any local league, but establishing Filipino lineage is all that matters to our basketball officials considering our jus sanguinis policy of citizenship. that's the job of real scouts with connections talking to families of prospects, not sports fan bloggers using Google.

    i don't mind if a player doesn't have that Manila State of Mind as long as he'll be allowed to play. also consider if a Fil-For will turn out like an Alapag or a Helterbrand, not some one-and-done player who'll be recruited/drafted, ride the bench, and be cut in a few years. that's a waste of resources if you ask me.

    thanks for the movie recommend, i hope there's a fake DVD if it's hard to find.
    well standhardinger was mentioned here first. then nardy googled him and got in touch with him through facebook or something. i'm pretty sure that is the same story with lutz, anthony, and the other fil-am prospects.

    so googling about prospects actually have produced results. i'm pretty sure even american scouts now use the internet for research before they do the legwork.

    anyways, if you still think this thread is pathetic i suggest you stop posting on it.
    Small ball no more:

    6'11" Kai "the KAIscraper" Sotto
    6'10" Ethan "the Big E" Kirkness
    6'9" A.J. "the Pinoy Freak" Edu

  11. #931
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The World is Paris
    Posts
    1,809
    Country: France

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsgermany View Post

    Germany also knows about him.

    He played for German youth NT's already, and Germany has the better perspectives considering that with the participation in the World Champs in Turkey, they are already qualified for the next final Euro Champs tournament, which is the qualifyer for the next Olympics. On top of that, the German NT has finally started to rebuild with young talents behind their NBA stars Nowitzki and Kaman, who have already expressed their strong interest in the coming challenges.
    So why should Standhardinger leave his current path to play for the Philippines instead aside from the problem, that the German basketball association would need to approve that too since he's already been wearing their jersey in official matches?
    dude, those are rumors to you. but they are factual to the insiders here in the forum. i can tell you with certainty that nardy is friends with standhardinger. i also have a friend who is good friends with standhardinger.

    and yeah, germany is a much better place, financially and economically speaking. but nothing beats the warmth of the pinoy heart. and of the pinoy smile. in germany or the u.s., standhardinger may get much higher salaries. but again, he's just gonna be one of the stars. maybe an above-average player. in the philippines, he'll get a lower salary. but cost of living is a lot lower. and he gets celebrity status that overwhelmed even gilbert arenas.

    plus the white beaches and the hot mestizas.... hay.... i love the philippines!
    Small ball no more:

    6'11" Kai "the KAIscraper" Sotto
    6'10" Ethan "the Big E" Kirkness
    6'9" A.J. "the Pinoy Freak" Edu

  12. #932
    Senior Member weward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,169
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Philippines is the land for free people..and its really great!!!
    every filipino enjoys their freedom here..you can urinate anywhere, you can spit and throw thrashes everywhere, you can argue with the police and let you free, you can be friends with politicians and you'll gain the power of immunity, you can live anywhere even if you dont own that piece of land and if the owner wants to kick you out of his land he needs to pay you before you go. extra income

    Philippines got cheaply developed tourist spots,but still it will make your jaw drop.


    ..and philippines has the best over-hyping media.. and Philippines got the best league in Asia.(LoL)

    And the best coach in the world.coach GWEYAO LoL

    does Germany got that kind of freedom?

    i respect the Philippines but all of what i had stated above are facts.
    Freedom at its best!



    serious mode:

    I think it would be really great to have Christian Standhardinger in our NT.. but if tht wont happen, i think it would be great to see him against our NT..

  13. #933
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patay-butiki View Post
    well standhardinger was mentioned here first. then nardy googled him and got in touch with him through facebook or something. i'm pretty sure that is the same story with lutz, anthony, and the other fil-am prospects.

    so googling about prospects actually have produced results. i'm pretty sure even american scouts now use the internet for research before they do the legwork.

    anyways, if you still think this thread is pathetic i suggest you stop posting on it.
    malamang. i think you were the one who mentioned Standhardinger here first so you must be really proud of your Google search result (just not as impressive as the random kid who discovered the Younghusband brothers from Chelsea on his PlayStation for our football team years ago... that sparked a Fil-For footballer search and now they have 19-year olds Ethridge from Fulham and de Jong from NAC Breda)

    i understand how you'd prefer hundreds of over-hyped prospects than lose one NT-type caliber player. but i'm merely implying that considering anyone who's ever played organized basketball in the US as a serious prospect raises some questions. are they really that much better than our local young players? let's say some of they do make it here, then what? will they be as good as Jimmy Alapag or as random as Denver Lopez? i'm not against Fil-Ams, i just don't see the point of rounding them up like they're very, very special.

    Standhardinger is an exception because we don't have a lot of young 6'8 players here. there are so many good young players here below 6'2 and unless they'll experience a much higher level of competition (US NCAA division 1 being the highest), they won't make it unless they come here and get someone's attention just like how Alapag got Ron Jacobs' and Jong Uichico's attention before he got drafted.

  14. #934
    Senior Member bsgermany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Well, let's just wait and see what will happen. I don't see the Philippines in serious contention for Standhardinger just because of his partial Filipino inheritance.
    I have been to the Philippines often enough to know what a big thing basketball is over there. On the other hand, from the european point of view, the Philippines is still just a small country on the edge of the world basketball map.
    If Chris will adjust his career "only" to the beauty of women, I would move to the Philippines myself if I was in his shoes.
    If he follows the money, or has ambitions to reach the max. possible in the best possible leagues or the chance to play tournaments like Euro Champs, World Champs or possibly Olympics, it would surely have to be Europe.

    Anyway, we will all be curious to see how he develops in Nebraska over the coming years and then see if he prefers to play on a team with Aguilar, Norwood etc., or with Nowitzki, Kaman etc. (if he turns out to be good enough for either one of the NT's).

    Dispite our little "dispute" over Standhardinger, I hope to see the Philippines in London - possibly taking on Germany there.

  15. #935
    Senior Member Alex07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    bahay
    Posts
    6,159

    Default mukha mo

    Quote Originally Posted by bsgermany View Post
    Well, let's just wait and see what will happen. I don't see the Philippines in serious contention for Standhardinger just because of his partial Filipino inheritance.
    I have been to the Philippines often enough to know what a big thing basketball is over there. On the other hand, from the european point of view, the Philippines is still just a small country on the edge of the world basketball map.
    If Chris will adjust his career "only" to the beauty of women, I would move to the Philippines myself if I was in his shoes.
    If he follows the money, or has ambitions to reach the max. possible in the best possible leagues or the chance to play tournaments like Euro Champs, World Champs or possibly Olympics, it would surely have to be Europe.

    Anyway, we will all be curious to see how he develops in Nebraska over the coming years and then see if he prefers to play on a team with Aguilar, Norwood etc., or with Nowitzki, Kaman etc. (if he turns out to be good enough for either one of the NT's).

    Dispite our little "dispute" over Standhardinger, I hope to see the Philippines in London - possibly taking on Germany there.
    thanks for your kind thoughts but to be honest I don't see Germany would be beating the top teams in Europe with or without Chris...If ever Fiba will take only the top 3 teams in Europe,Germany wouldn't even qualify..It will take 12 Dirk Nowitzki to do that...just like asking for 12 Manny Pacquiao's..but anyways,goodluck and keep playing football
    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

  16. #936
    Senior Member jesronne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    what will happen to germany if nowitzki will retire?

  17. #937
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesronne View Post
    what will happen to germany if nowitzki will retire?
    it will still be germany. a developed nation and all that. hehehe

  18. #938
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The World is Paris
    Posts
    1,809
    Country: France

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paolylo View Post
    malamang. i think you were the one who mentioned Standhardinger here first so you must be really proud of your Google search result (just not as impressive as the random kid who discovered the Younghusband brothers from Chelsea on his PlayStation for our football team years ago... that sparked a Fil-For footballer search and now they have 19-year olds Ethridge from Fulham and de Jong from NAC Breda)

    i understand how you'd prefer hundreds of over-hyped prospects than lose one NT-type caliber player. but i'm merely implying that considering anyone who's ever played organized basketball in the US as a serious prospect raises some questions. are they really that much better than our local young players? let's say some of they do make it here, then what? will they be as good as Jimmy Alapag or as random as Denver Lopez? i'm not against Fil-Ams, i just don't see the point of rounding them up like they're very, very special.

    Standhardinger is an exception because we don't have a lot of young 6'8 players here. there are so many good young players here below 6'2 and unless they'll experience a much higher level of competition (US NCAA division 1 being the highest), they won't make it unless they come here and get someone's attention just like how Alapag got Ron Jacobs' and Jong Uichico's attention before he got drafted.
    malamang what? that american scouts use the internet to, um... scout? e di ba you belittled posters here who googled prospects and consider it pathetic? tapos, ngayon malamang that american scouts also do it? well, while you try to sound smart and superior to the other contributors in this thread, maybe you should also try to be consistent.

    and you think mentioning prospects here make them "very, very special?"

    wow!

    again, if you really think this is a pathetic thread, stop posting here.

    and please stop acting like some kind of MTRCB. i believe that this thread is very useful for the SBP and philippine basketball. there are other threads for local players. if you believe so much in local talent, maybe you should just post in one of those threads?

    yeah, but first, you have to google dem local players.
    Small ball no more:

    6'11" Kai "the KAIscraper" Sotto
    6'10" Ethan "the Big E" Kirkness
    6'9" A.J. "the Pinoy Freak" Edu

  19. #939
    Senior Member bsgermany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesronne View Post
    what will happen to germany if nowitzki will retire?
    They will still play basketball I guess.
    Look at the roster of the Euro Champs and you will find some answers there already. A player like Nowitzki can not be replaced, but young guys like Schaffartzik, Benzing, Ohlbrecht, Pleiß and college uys like Staiger (Iowa State), Harris (Gonzaga) and well, maybe even Standhardinger one day will take over.
    While usually, in the presence of Nowitzki, all the burden was put on his shoulders, you could witness a lot more teamplay at the Euro Champs. So with the new talents slowly fitting in nicely, I'm not so worried about a competetive future.

    @ Alex07: Your comment shows me that you obviously know just very little or nothing about european basketball and that you haven't watched the last Euro Champs either. With the best players all around, Germany is certainly among the top teams in Europe and well deserved way ahead of the Philippines in the world ranking - not to mention that even top 10 in Europe would still mean top ranking in Asia!
    By the way. how did the Philippines finish in Asia lately? (No need to answer - I watched it).

  20. #940
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The World is Paris
    Posts
    1,809
    Country: France

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weward View Post
    Philippines is the land for free people..and its really great!!!
    every filipino enjoys their freedom here..you can urinate anywhere, you can spit and throw thrashes everywhere, you can argue with the police and let you free, you can be friends with politicians and you'll gain the power of immunity, you can live anywhere even if you dont own that piece of land and if the owner wants to kick you out of his land he needs to pay you before you go. extra income

    Philippines got cheaply developed tourist spots,but still it will make your jaw drop.


    ..and philippines has the best over-hyping media.. and Philippines got the best league in Asia.(LoL)

    And the best coach in the world.coach GWEYAO LoL

    does Germany got that kind of freedom?

    i respect the Philippines but all of what i had stated above are facts.
    Freedom at its best!



    serious mode:

    I think it would be really great to have Christian Standhardinger in our NT.. but if tht wont happen, i think it would be great to see him against our NT..
    dude, this ain't funny at all. i suggest you edit your post.
    Small ball no more:

    6'11" Kai "the KAIscraper" Sotto
    6'10" Ethan "the Big E" Kirkness
    6'9" A.J. "the Pinoy Freak" Edu

Page 47 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •