Philippine Collegiate Imports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philippine Collegiate Imports

There seems to be a growing backlash against using imports in College Basketball, just a couple of weeks ago I saw Jong Uichico calling for a ban of such imports as it was hindering the development of local big men 'kuno'.

This article below on the other hand seems to insist on blaming San Beda for starting the Import Craze in College, which is wrong because I remember reading an article before how FEU won the UAAP College Basketball Championships with an import back in the 1970s.

Impact of Collegiate Imports

Published September 22, 2017, 10:00 AM
    By Ding Marcelo

Ben Mbala returned to action Wednesday, and the whole Green Archers community breathed a little better. After missing La Salle’s first two games, Mbala played his first game against Adamson University in the UAAP basketball tournament, and he did not disappoint.

He arrived less than 48 hours earlier after a nearly 24-hour flight from Tunisia, where he played for Cameroon in the FIBA AfroBasket. He ended up the top scorer for his home country, and, save for one player, he played more minutes than anyone in his team, despite being its rookie.

When he took the court against Adamson, he played as though he was just out for some shopping at the Mall of Asia, right beside the Arena, where the game was played. Despite missing practice, battling jetlag, and a bit of a late hustle from the upset-conscious Soaring Falcons, Mbala delivered. He shot 32 points, hauled 10 rebounds, blocked four shots, tops for his team.

More frightening, he came back from the African tournament quarterfinals with a new weapon—the three-point shot, of which he made 2 of 4—adding gravitas to his already imposing 6-foot-8 frame and 230-pound presence. After his opening game, La Salle’s rivals were again left to contemplate the question that confounded them last year: how to stop Mbala, who, not incidentally, was last UAAP season’s MVP.

It’s almost unfair that this man, who could be a top player in the PBA, is unloading his skills against lighter and shorter opponents in the UAAP. In the PBA, the player that can compare is June Mar Fajardo of San Miguel Beer, who is 6-foot-10 and is a giant among Lilliputians. With his height and skill, Fajardo can score, defend, and frighten opponents, which is Mbala’s UAAP reputation.

So one may ask: Why is a player like Mbala in the UAAP? Why is a national player from Cameroon in a college basketball uniform?

The quick easy answer is: Schools and their patrons badly want to win a championship, and they are bent on doing it by all means possible, even if that means scouring the ends of Africa to get that perfect player. And, yes, money is no object.

Mbala, 22, who is likely costing La Salle a fortune, is not unique. He is only unique if we note that here is the most talented foreigner in an army of foreigners recruited to play ball by universities and colleges around the country.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://sports.mb.com.ph/2017/09/22/i...giate-imports/)
    Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Originally posted by rhk111 View Post
    There seems to be a growing backlash against using imports in College Basketball, just a couple of weeks ago I saw Jong Uichico calling for a ban of such imports as it was hindering the development of local big men 'kuno'.

This article below on the other hand seems to insist on blaming San Beda for starting the Import Craze in College, which is wrong because I remember reading an article before how FEU won the UAAP College Basketball Championships with an import back in the 1970s.

Impact of Collegiate Imports

Published September 22, 2017, 10:00 AM
    By Ding Marcelo

Ben Mbala returned to action Wednesday, and the whole Green Archers community breathed a little better. After missing La Salle’s first two games, Mbala played his first game against Adamson University in the UAAP basketball tournament, and he did not disappoint.

He arrived less than 48 hours earlier after a nearly 24-hour flight from Tunisia, where he played for Cameroon in the FIBA AfroBasket. He ended up the top scorer for his home country, and, save for one player, he played more minutes than anyone in his team, despite being its rookie.

When he took the court against Adamson, he played as though he was just out for some shopping at the Mall of Asia, right beside the Arena, where the game was played. Despite missing practice, battling jetlag, and a bit of a late hustle from the upset-conscious Soaring Falcons, Mbala delivered. He shot 32 points, hauled 10 rebounds, blocked four shots, tops for his team.

More frightening, he came back from the African tournament quarterfinals with a new weapon—the three-point shot, of which he made 2 of 4—adding gravitas to his already imposing 6-foot-8 frame and 230-pound presence. After his opening game, La Salle’s rivals were again left to contemplate the question that confounded them last year: how to stop Mbala, who, not incidentally, was last UAAP season’s MVP.

It’s almost unfair that this man, who could be a top player in the PBA, is unloading his skills against lighter and shorter opponents in the UAAP. In the PBA, the player that can compare is June Mar Fajardo of San Miguel Beer, who is 6-foot-10 and is a giant among Lilliputians. With his height and skill, Fajardo can score, defend, and frighten opponents, which is Mbala’s UAAP reputation.

So one may ask: Why is a player like Mbala in the UAAP? Why is a national player from Cameroon in a college basketball uniform?

The quick easy answer is: Schools and their patrons badly want to win a championship, and they are bent on doing it by all means possible, even if that means scouring the ends of Africa to get that perfect player. And, yes, money is no object.

Mbala, 22, who is likely costing La Salle a fortune, is not unique. He is only unique if we note that here is the most talented foreigner in an army of foreigners recruited to play ball by universities and colleges around the country.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://sports.mb.com.ph/2017/09/22/i...giate-imports/)
    Mr. Marcelo has his priorities, the schools have theirs.
    “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

As long as rules allow college teams to get foreign players then this should not be an issue. What's the definition of an import? He should be black? He should be tall and good? In the past we had the likes of Ferdinand, Rob Bornancin, Kirk Long and Marko Batricevic but it wasnt a big deal for everyone. Just because the player is black, they classify it as import?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdeal View Post
        As long as rules allow college teams to get foreign players then this should not be an issue. What's the definition of an import? He should be black? He should be tall and good? In the past we had the likes of Ferdinand, Rob Bornancin, Kirk Long and Marko Batricevic but it wasnt a big deal for everyone. Just because the player is black, they classify it as import?
        Very true. We have a hidden prejudice against Africans.
        -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

so in that logic US NCAA should ban imports playing in US NCAA.. go home kobe, you're not needed their in US NCAA. same goes with dwight ramos..
          Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

IMO, since UAAP and NCAA is a school league, then all students should be eligible (no limit on foreign players). Maybe just be strict on the academic requirements (make sure that these 'imports' are here to study and not only to play). But I doubt this will happen. We cry foul when the opponent has imports, calling it unfair. A testament on how low we look on ourselves; because they are imports, we think they're better than us.

Comment

Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
              Very true. We have a hidden prejudice against Africans.
              I wonder when a new bread of import will come.
              NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
              https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                If you're talking about Europeans, Marko Batricevic was one of the pioneers. He still runs a Serbian cuisine place somewhere in the metro.
                -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
                  If you're talking about Europeans, Marko Batricevic was one of the pioneers. He still runs a Serbian cuisine place somewhere in the metro.
                  No I'm not talking about him
                  NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

Hehe mali ang hula ko. Trans: I guessed wrong
                    -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

so Mbala's too good now? We should only recruit bansot and bano foreigners to make the locals look good?

Comment

On a side note, with his height, heft, strength, athleticism and skill, if Ben Mbala continues to produce impressive numbers with his Cameroonian National Basketball Team, he just might have a good chance at being in the NBA Draft in the near future.
                        Last edited by rhk111; 09-22-2017, 02:55 PM.
                        Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                          There was a post in Gameface by a reliable source within UST that 2 players from Cameroon will be arriving in Manila to check the landscape in Manila with their handlers. One is suppose to be 6'10" and the other 6'11". Magaling ba, we will soon know. Guess which schools will first get crack for their services? Both schools already have an import or two waiting in the wing to succeed their import.

Comment

^
                            I know nothing about that... BTW which UAAP schools have imports in waiting ?

Comment

All schools have an import in waiting except UE. UE management has decided to play all Pinoy, maybe because of their prior experience. Bright Akhuitie of UP is the biggest star in waiting. The player in waiting for both DLSU and ADMU are both taller than 6' 9" but do not know if either is any good.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information