Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the greatest European player ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the greatest European player ever?

well? Galis? Bodiroga? Petrovic? Sabonis?

What about the best euro player right now?

IMO
    Dirk rule
    1st in IBN 2018-2019
    2nd in IBN 2016-2017
    2nd in IBN 2015-2016
    1st in IBN 2014-2015
    2nd in IBN 2013-2014
    2nd in IBN 2012-2013
    2nd in IBN 2010-2011
    3nd in IBN 2009-2010
    1st in IBN 2008-2009
    2nd in IBN 2007-2008

If you love player and team comparisons, please join me in my channels
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIT...JLx5BerQtam9_A
    https://www.facebook.com/sport.rankings.10
    @RankingsSport

Comment

Toni Kukoc I guess....they say he was the jordan of europe back then.

Comment

Originally posted by bestkept
        Toni Kukoc I guess....they say he was the jordan of europe back then.
        never trust what "they say" - trust your own senses
        My senses tell me - Arvydas Sabonis. A person who unites phenomenal physical abilities, great basketball IQ and elegance in basketball (before the injuries).

The Mozart of basketball Dražen Petrovic comes together, though to me Sabas is first of all a miracle of nature (as far as basketball is concerned), while Dražen is more a miracle of great work (meaning his very usual physical abilities).

Dirk comes probably third. I never had a great opinion about Tony Kukoc. He does not really stand out that much and definitely has nothing to do with MJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Civilis
          I never had a great opinion about Tony Kukoc. He does not really stand out that much and definitely has nothing to do with MJ.
          What!? You're crazy, Civilis! Kukoc was a basketball genius. The man did help MJ get those titles. The only reason people don't talk about Kukoc more is because of Michael Jordan (same reason they don't talk about Pippen). Kukoc was a big man who could do anything: score, pass, drive, rebound, and even play defense. He was the Magic Johnson of the '90s.

That said, I also agree that Sabonis was the best player from Europe. There have been a lot of great ones, but Sabonis stands out the most because of his brute power and offensive creativity.

The best European player right now? I don't know...Nowitzki, Jasikevicius, Parker, Pau...

--Matt
          Last edited by mvblair; 09-27-2007, 06:46 PM.
          "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Sabas and Petrovic tied, but Dirk has the time and the skills to achieve that.
            "Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling."

Comment

Sabonis. Most gifted and most universal center ever. The fighter, unique.

Curren? Kirilenko, Nowitzki, Gasol, Jasikevicius.
              In Europe? Siskauskas. Euroleague final MVP (you know what i mean) and Top 5 player of Eurobasket.
              LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
              Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
              Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Belov Sergei (Soviet Union)
                Berkowitz Miki (Israel)
                Bodiroga Dejan (Serbia/Mont.)
                Corbalan Juan Antonio (Spain)
                Cosic Kresimir (Croatia)
                Dalipagic Drazen (Bosnia)
                Danilovic Predrag (Serbia/Mont.)
                Delibasic Mirza (Bosnia)
                Divac Vlade (Serbia/Mont.)
                Djordjevic Aleksandar (Serbia/Mont.)
                Gallis Nikos (Greece)
                Gasol Pau (Spain)
                Giannakis Panagiotis (Greece)
                Jamchy Doron (Israel)
                Kicanovic Dragan (Serbia/Mont.)
                Korac Radivoj (Serbia/Mont.)
                Kukoc Toni (Croatia)
                Marciulionis Sarunas (Lithuania)
                Marzorati Pier Luigi (Italy)
                Meneghin Dino (Italy)
                Nowitzki Dirk (Germany)
                Petrovic Drazen (Croatia)
                Radja Dino (Croatia)
                Rigaudeau Antoine (France)
                Sabonis Arvydas (Lithuania)
                San Epifanio Juan Antonio (Spain)
                Schrempf Detlef (Germany)
                Slavnic Zoran (Serbia/Mont.)
                Smits Rick (Holland)
                Stojakovic Predrag (Serbia/Mont.)
                Tarakanov Sergei (USSR)
                Valters Valdis (Latvia)
                Volkov Aleksander (USSR)

maybe these guys

Comment

I sincerely believe Kukoč was underestimated. I've watched a couple of retro-games of ex-Yu NT from 89 and 91, he was a.m.a.z.i.n.g. as if Kirilenko with a bit more handling skills and a perfect shooting stroke. He was already near declining when in NBA, while he also had to bulk up to stay competitive there and he lost some of his agility considering his early days.
                  I think we had a thread on the previous forum, where Petrovič and Sabonis were battleing for no.1 with Kukoč clear 3rd, couldn't agree more. Dirk is amazing player as well, but I can't avoid claiming Kukoč had a lot more weapons in his arsenal than Dirk had.
                  I am starting to like Dirk a lot though, not really because of his game, but because of behaviour a lot of supposed stars could learn from...

Kukoč was 3 times EL champion with Split, 3 times proclaimed the best player in europe while in Benneton, 2 olympic silvers, gold and bronze at WC and EC and 3 NBA titles... and imo most definately 3rd best european player of all times...

I have some issues with the likes of Rik Smits getting mentioned, what exactly did he have in common with european basketball?
                  Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                  That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Two previous threads (here and here) tried to shed some light on the issue. I still mantain my opinion, Sabonis with Nowitzki following him closely.

Originally posted by Matiz
                    I have some issues with the likes of Rik Smits getting mentioned, what exactly did he have in common with european basketball?
                    Nothing, you're right, but he was European.
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Sabonis and Petrovic tied. I cant compare these two genious.

Right now? i will give u a clue : It begins with 'D' and finishes with 'irk Nowitki'
                      I KISS BASKET

Comment

Philip nice pasting.

My opinion: Sabonis. That's it.

Originally posted by parso
                        Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
                        Originally posted by sseppel
                        it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
                        Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
                        Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2
                          Philip nice pasting.

My opinion: Sabonis. That's it.
                          I agree. And also agree with Civilis about T. Kukoc. For me Tony (or Toni?) is definitely not in top 3 of all time. Not even top 5 I think.

PS. For "all time" I mean eighties and up. It's realy difficult to compare earlier players with more or less recent ones.

Matiz: It is not difficult to demonstrate good and even amazing play when Soviet era is over and Lithuania's was not started yet officially. I think you must see some games of Tony against Lith in 92-95 (in 1988 Tony was too young for serious competition)

Comment

Originally posted by Matiz
                            I am starting to like Dirk a lot though, not really because of his game, but because of behaviour a lot of supposed stars could learn from...
                            Just rememmbered, in some interviews, I guess, one of our NT doctors said, that Dirk surprised him a lot in Madrid's hotel - he was very friendly, simple, nice and so on person, who really didin't behave like superstar or smth
                            some more "+"/points in Dirk's account
                            2nd in IBN EuroBasket 2011 Prediction!
                            2nd in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction!
                            MVP in IBN EuroBasket 2013 Prediction! # Correct W-L: re5pectas (59)
                            All-Tornament Team in IBN EuroBasket 2015 Prediction! Perfect score: re5pectas (7)
                            All-Tornament Team in IBN World Cup 2019 Prediction! Perfect score: re5pectas (5)
                            2nd in IBN Olympic 2020 Predicion! Perfect score: re5pectas (2) Within 8: re5pectas (8) # Correct W-L: re5pectas (23)

Comment

What about Nick Galis?

He took Greece ti their first European title in EuroBasket ever almost single handedly defeating the Sabonis lead Soviet Union and scored 40 points in the final. In the four EuroBaskets and one World Championship he participated he was the leading scorer. He won one EuroBasket Gold, One Silver, numerous Greek Cups and Korac Cups. His scoring average was over 30 points where ever he went in every season. He was a superb player in the NCAA too

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information