Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sons of cage greats doing great in the UAAP ( High School Division)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sons of cage greats doing great in the UAAP ( High School Division)

Sons of cage greats doing great in UAAP

By Joey Villar
    Philippine Star

Monday, September 24, 2007

The ongoing UAAP high school basketball title showdown between arch rivals Ateneo de Manila and La Salle-Zobel is also a showcase of the sons and grandson of former cage stars and icons who once ruled the game in their glory days.

Ateneo, for instance, has four – Keifer Ravena, Tim Capacio, Ael Banal and Ise Reyes, whose fathers are Bong Ravena, Ely Capacio, Joel Banal and RP men’s team coach Chot Reyes, respectively.

La Salle, on the other hand, boasts of two, including former Senator and basketball great Freddie Webb’s grandson David Webb and former many-time PBA Defensive Player of the Year Glen Capacio’s son Matthew.

But they’re not just namesakes – they play like their fathers.

Ravena, for one, has the moves and shooting skills of his father, now an assistant to Dindo Pumaren at University of the East. Webb, the leading candidate for the UAAP high school MVP plum, displays the same grace, not to mention speed, as his grandpa.

In fact, Webb, a senior, fired 17 points in powering the Junior Archers to a 76-74 win over the Eaglets Saturday to gain a 1-0 edge in their best-of-three duel.

This early, Ravena, whose mother Mossy is also a volleyball star during her college days at UST, has proved he’s ready to take over the team.

“He’s a gem,” said Ateneo mentor Jamike Jarin of the 13-year-old Keifer.

“David is the team’s heart and soul, he’s the leader of this team,” La Salle coach Boris Aldeguer said of the 6-3 Webb, who has a wide array of shots, including a spinning move from both sides.

At 6-5, Tim Capacio is starting to assert himself on the floor with a size, heft and move similar to father Ely while Banal is slowly but surely taking the path his dad, Joel, once took.

His cousin, Matthew, is as aggressive and defense-minded like his father Glen, who watched his son from the sidelines and liked what he saw.

“I guide him and support him in things that he does. But I basically let him find his own identity on the court,” said Capacio, a nine-time member of the PBA Defensive Team.

Ise Reyes, member of the noted Reyes clan, has the outside shot, the speed to make it big like his father and uncles.

In due time, these second and third generation stars are expected to lord it over in the pro league, the way their fathers and grandfathers did.

By Joey Villar Philippine Star Monday, September 24, 2007 The ongoing UAAP high school basketball title showdown between arch rivals Ateneo ...

wow! i think in the coming games at FBL(future basketball league) we will be demolished... la salle zobel also have a american who stands about 6-4.. i didn't saw the 6-5 capacio.. i think he ddn't attend the opening..
    LABAN PILIPINAS!

Comment

hope these kids can still grow by at least 2-3 inches. they will be a shooin for future NT. i've seen the younger webb and he plays ok. let's hope that will not turn like his uncle who was overhyped.
      "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

How is Don Villamin related to Yoyoy Villamin? Where's Abet Guidaben kid, who once played for the training pool of Ateneo Highschool Team?

Comment

what about gido babilonia's son? i think he used to play for UE. what about johann uichico from ateneo? he suddenly disappear without a trace in ateneo's lineup.
          "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Comment

Originally posted by ankle breaker
            what about gido babilonia's son? i think he used to play for UE. what about johann uichico from ateneo? he suddenly disappear without a trace in ateneo's lineup.
            I will not be surprised that he gets booted out... with his short stints on the court last season, he can't do anything to say the least... I think he just lacks mobility and skills to make it in the UAAP... I mean Ken Barracoso even plays way better than him...

Comment

Originally posted by RayV
              I will not be surprised that he gets booted out... with his short stints on the court last season, he can't do anything to say the least... I think he just lacks mobility and skills to make it in the UAAP... I mean Ken Barracoso even plays way better than him...
              poor little johann, i thought he's as good as his father noting how good a player and a coach his father is.

Comment

Originally posted by ankle breaker
                poor little johann, i thought he's as good as his father noting how good a player and a coach his father is.
                ^Yeah, you sort of expecting much much more since he has a basketball coach/player as a father to teach him proper fundamentals as early as he could walk... well, maybe he's just not born to play high level ball...

BTW, Coach Louie Alas' sons play good ball in the NCAA juniors enough to propel Letran Squires to the finals... but not enough to stop HS phenom Ryan Buenafe and his SSC-R Staglets...

Comment

Originally posted by olazabal
                  How is Don Villamin related to Yoyoy Villamin? Where's Abet Guidaben kid, who once played for the training pool of Ateneo Highschool Team?
                  they are father and son

Comment

Originally posted by RayV
                    ^Yeah, you sort of expecting much much more since he has a basketball coach/player as a father to teach him proper fundamentals as early as he could walk... well, maybe he's just not born to play high level ball...

BTW, Coach Louie Alas' sons play good ball in the NCAA juniors enough to propel Letran Squires to the finals... but not enough to stop HS phenom Ryan Buenafe and his SSC-R Staglets...
                    Johann Uichico has been concentrating on his BS Biology course. He's looking forward to going to med school.

One of Gido Babilonia's kids is now in San Beda - Taytay. The mother is reportedly pushing him to go to Ateneo, not to play basketball, but because she wants her kid to take a certain course there.

Abet Guidaben's kid, on the other hand, reportedly went to UP-Diliman.
                    Keep running, big boy.

Comment

first time i heard of Capacio's son....but maybe he isn't that good. It's just the height (6-5)?
                      SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

Originally posted by bolabasket
                        first time i heard of Capacio's son....but maybe he isn't that good. It's just the height (6-5)?
                        the 6-5 kid is the son of ELY CAPACIO...
                        any info about ELY? did he play in the PBA?

Comment

Originally posted by Dinamita
                          the 6-5 kid is the son of ELY CAPACIO...
                          any info about ELY? did he play in the PBA?
                          yeah...he was a 6-5 Center last played for Tanduay i think...he's not a good scorer but a good defender and role player.
                          SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

Yes thats Eliezer Capacio was the former PBA chairman in 2005-2006 played in the 8 years in the PBA last is Tanduay 1986 champion team...although not a star he was a good role player...he never played high school and college basketball which is unique and will never happen again due to the current PBA ruling..and by the way he is also 6'5....In 1991, he was coach of the Purefoods team that won the All-Filipino championship. He became alternate governor of the Purefoods franchise to the PBA board from 1995 to 2002 until San Miguel named him to the same position in 2003. Capacio became the full-time Beermen governor in the 2004-05 season while he served as vice-chairman of the PBA board.

And he was the brain of all the innovation, overseas games, increase crowd attendance and many more.........maybe a great PBA Commissioner for the future as the PBA board is in the selection process................I Have my vote on him
                            Last edited by DaveMap2007; 09-26-2007, 04:25 AM.

Comment

to watch these kids.. i think they have games this sunday at ateneo...
                              LABAN PILIPINAS!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information