View Poll Results: Who will advance to the semifinals?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greece

29 55.77%
  • Russia

23 44.23%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: [1/4 Finals] Greece - Russia

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    Either he is your brother or lover, otherwise you will always find a way to defend him. Read my post I said he played very well in the first half but he made soooooo many mistakes in the second, that along with Sloukas he is the biggest reason you have thrown this away in the second half...
    You must be kidding, or you were watching a different game...

Firstly, congrats to Russia for fighting back. Secondly, I tip my hat to Sved. What a player. What a leader. What balls!!!

The Missas choice was proven failed. He had players on the bench but he didnt trust them. He threw in Pappas and without any systems or screens was expecting him to make magic. Russia knew this and closed on him fast and would not give him space. Missas managed to make all his bench useless. If Mantzaris, Pappas, Agravanis are good enough for 10-15 for their clubs, then they are good enough for the NT. It's PAO and Oly after all!!!

The NT has been failing for too long and it's not only the coaches and players fault. The failures have a common denominator. Vasilakopoulos!!! Time to retire and let the young generation to take over and change things. He needs to be ousted!!!

We have the players to make semi finals just not the coach or mentality to make it happen.
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

PM me to join the "I hate or find the NBA boring" fan club. :
    EverGreen, ArkadiosV2, re5pectas, GreenFan, Matiz,
    -K2-, Nimonas, jugoplastika, Podgorica, Test, buzz, Alvertis4.

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

Congrats to the Russian team.

Greece played really well for most of the game, once again above expectations. I don't agree that Russia was playing bad just by themselves. Greece was playing really good defence, suprisingly good after the awful performances in friendlies and group stage, but IMO the players clearly switched gear in this regard in K.O. stage. Calathes was doing a great job on Shved and Papanikolaou was everywhere. Russia was playing better so far in the tournament but the Greek players made their job a lot more difficult due their individual experience as they were reading the plays on both sides very effectively.

The point margin should have been higher by the end of the 3rd quarter if Greece was around its FT average and just looking at the numbers it seems that Greece would have won the game if they made them. After that point we started to make many mistakes on offense and our defence wasn't as efficient especially on Shved who stepped up, but I can't help but thinking that this was in part due the fatigue of the starting players. I think that we can all agree that the game can't be played anymore with your starting players having 35 mins. Not only the bench didn't take any serious minutes but also it looked to me that even when some of them played, no-one was allowed to take responsibilities in offense other than Calathes, Sloukas, Printezis and Bourousis.

Of course, the coach and his decisions is part of the game, and so is the FT %, and Russia made a deserved win in the end.

The outcome was presumable and predictable.
    I felt surprised reading some really ridiculous comments from neutral fans. It's understandable to make wrong prediction but it's tragic when you can't comprehend what you are seeing.

Calathes was simply great yesterday, even greater if we consider the extreme effort (and tiredness) for 36 min. A real leader in offence and defence. But those ignorant/blind (cricket)fans felt that Calathes proved that he is not a very good guard and they made fun of him. That was really impressive! Especially coachz was disappointing because he knows the game, in spite of some others. Shame.

Another impressive point was the inability to distinguish between "Sved is not good today" and "defence on Sved is very good today". Perhaps it's too advanced for all the exhibition games lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    The outcome was presumable and predictable.
    I felt surprised reading some really ridiculous comments from neutral fans. It's understandable to make wrong prediction but it's tragic when you can't comprehend what you are seeing.

Calathes was simply great yesterday, even greater if we consider the extreme effort (and tiredness) for 36 min. A real leader in offence and defence. But those ignorant/blind (cricket)fans felt that Calathes proved that he is not a very good guard and they made fun of him. That was really impressive! Especially coachz was disappointing because he knows the game, in spite of some others. Shame.

Another impressive point was the inability to distinguish between "Sved is not good today" and "defence on Sved is very good today". Perhaps it's too advanced for all the exhibition games lovers
    It's normal that neutral fans see the game very different. I for start don't believe that 6 missed Ft in first half of Q3 were because of fatigue. Printezis simply is not the most reliable FT shooter. Yes Calathes played great defence on Shved and he for sure felt fatigue in the end. But Greece should be up by at least 15 points in the half time. With all that opened shots and Russia totally out of game. I think the game was lost there. About Russia, maybe Greece really played good defence, but that many airballs or totally missed shots you rarely see in this level of the competition. And even in last Q, Russia and Shved tried everything to lose. For me Greece was clear favorite for the win and they should win that game. Why Calathes wasn't on the bench at least when Shved was out, I don't know. But to be honest team like Greece shouldn't have problems with fatigue, especially after 3 days without a game. Totally wrong time management I guess.
    previously known as Beno

Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen View Post
    The failures have a common denominator. Vasilakopoulos!!! Time to retire and let the young generation to take over and change things. He needs to be ousted!!!
    I had a look on the results generated during the presidentship of Vasilakopoulos. He reigned from 1998 till 2002 and from 2010 until today.

How many medals did the mens team generate during the reignship of Vasilakopoulos also known as Kim Jong Un?

Answer: Zero!!!!!!!

1999: Failure in group phase with Zouros in the coaching stuff
    2001: Papaloukas misses free throws against Nowitzkis Germany
    2010: Fight between greek and serbia players and Diamantidis leaves the team
    2011: FYROM placed 1st and Greece placed 2nd in the group
    2012: Nigeria kills us in OQT
    2013: Greece leaves tournament in 2nd group phase
    2015: Spain serves their customers
    2016: Serbia kick greek asses
    2017: Greεce plays S5 for 39 minutes

On his grave we will write "THe president of medals"
    Last edited by fasoulaki; 09-14-2017 at 09:50 AM.

I gotta say that airball by Calathes is the highlight of this game for me Otherwise, hard to watch.

Printezis is the best PF in Europe bar none...
    Extreme scouting ability detected.

Either he is your brother or lover, otherwise you will always find a way to defend him. Read my post I said he played very well in the first half but he made soooooo many mistakes in the second, that along with Sloukas he is the biggest reason you have thrown this away in the second half...
    No, you didn't say he played very well, you said he had a solid game.

Solid game while destroying Sved in defense and leading Greece in offense. Solid.

CG is right. TrollZ is more suiting.

Quote Originally Posted by KWSN-Men View Post
    No, you didn't say he played very well, you said he had a solid game.

Solid game while destroying Sved in defense and leading Greece in offense. Solid.

CG is right. TrollZ is more suiting.
    Right, a solid game means he played like shit? Hahah. Gang up boy, gang up

He made mistakes in the key part of the game, along with Sloukas why is that so hard to admit? He played a very good game overall and even did good towards the end, but when you were sinking after leading the whole game, him and Sloukas just disappeared...

Anyway, best of luck in future endeavors.
    Gangbanga from Palanga!

I won't be the same pain in the ass as some posters were 10 years ago, majority of them aren't here anymore anyway...
    But I if wanted to be an asshole, I would start trolling about Calathes pulling out a "Lakovič" - you know very well what I am talking about.

Now some individuals might finaly be willing to consider what happens when PG is flat out wasted in the final minutes.

Too bad Greek coach didn't put in someone else in for some minutes in the 3rd or 4th quarter, it was a pain to see Calathes as tired at the end and what it meant for Greek NT, that would in my opinion, mostlikely get into the semifinals, if it wasn't for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post

Now some individuals might finaly be willing to consider what happens when PG is flat out wasted in the final minutes.

Too bad Greek coach didn't put in someone else in for some minutes in the 3rd or 4th quarter, it was a pain to see Calathes as tired at the end and what it meant for Greek NT, that would in my opinion, mostlikely get into the semifinals, if it wasn't for that.
    The problem with that is although a player could be better at closing time because of those few rest minutes you mention you can also lose the game during those few minutes that he is substituted as well. There's a balance that needs to be struck and not as easy as everyone here is making out to be. In a crucial game I would rather have my best player play maximum minutes and risk that he won't be totally at his best at the end rather than play a backup in the second half and maybe cost me the game right there.

Well, eventually in the last few minutes, or at least the 4th quarter overall it did end up with Boroussis shooting from 3 or going on post if I recall correctly - if you've got someone that is able to deliver the ball over half court, it's not much of a loss forcing up some 2 on 2 or 1 on 1, there are ways to fight that lack of organisation for those limited minutes. Naturaly there is luck involved, but that's either way.

Those players are ultra competitive and most of them won't ask for a substitution or feel sorry for themselves when tired, they'll squeeze their last atoms of energy out of them instead, that's why coaches are there.

And I could agree to some extent with what you've said, but with PG's in my opinion it's different, especially if they're not at the very least relieved by someone else bringing the ball up court. I love the tactic of wearing guards down (probably due to when I was playing coach loved giving me that job ) and with PG's it's extremely efficient since unless someone else steps up and potentialy brings the ball up court or helps with organisation, they've got less time to hide someplace, for those few seconds of rest, as well as having the ball in their hands more, making them the best possible targets for pressure and naturaly, due to their responsibility, mistakes.

Game organisation is important, having a sub pair player in charge of organising offense can cause some troubles, but than again nothing is worse than your PG being dead tired in the last 2-3 minutes of the game, when behind and when he has to give his absolute best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

I watched this game on replay after reading this thread, and I was surprised to see that Calathes had actually played quite well. He was their best player imho. Successful Greek teams were blessed with exceptional PGs, and apparently their game-style needs another one to function at max capacity. Calathes is not that. Maybe Koniaris is the next one.

Congrats to Russia. I really liked Shved's boldness, as he complements it with skill and results, at least in this tournament.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    I watched this game on replay after reading this thread, and I was surprised to see that Calathes had actually played quite well. He was their best player imho. Successful Greek teams were blessed with exceptional PGs, and apparently their game-style needs another one to function at max capacity. Calathes is not that. Maybe Koniaris is the next one.

Congrats to Russia. I really liked Shved's boldness, as he complements it with skill and results, at least in this tournament.
    I don't think the problem is Calathes but mainly that he's back-up Mantzaris can't do what he does in his club, so yeah Koniaris would help in that aspect. Anyways I do think in full strength we should make a run in '19..
    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    I don't think the problem is Calathes but mainly that he's back-up Mantzaris can't do what he does in his club, so yeah Koniaris would help in that aspect. Anyways I do think in full strength we should make a run in '19..
    Koniaris is nowhere this level. Dont look at what he does with his age-sakes but what he did in A1 and it was poor.

http://www.esake.gr/el/action/Esakep...nship=44323D2A
    Mi imamo svoga boga, on se zove Bodiroga.
    Demetrious "Primo Gavrorum Malleus" Diamantidis

PM me to join the "I hate or find the NBA boring" fan club. :
    EverGreen, ArkadiosV2, re5pectas, GreenFan, Matiz,
    -K2-, Nimonas, jugoplastika, Podgorica, Test, buzz, Alvertis4.

Thank you for all you have given me. 6*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Bxh4eYMxw

Panathinaikos is not just a club. It's a religion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWbTZbfkI8

Quote Originally Posted by EverGreen View Post
    Koniaris is nowhere this level. Dont look at what he does with his age-sakes but what he did in A1 and it was poor.

http://www.esake.gr/el/action/Esakep...nship=44323D2A
    Not talking about now but in a 2 years time.
    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415