Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 245

Thread: Tallest Filipino Basketball Players Ever....

  1. #1
    Senior Member dreamwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,591

    Default Tallest Filipino Basketball Players Ever....

    There was a time when a 6-8 man mountain by the name of Bonifacio “Bonnie” de Jesus towered over a lean batch of big men in the late 1970s. De Jesus carried the national team colors in the 1978 Asian Youth basketball championship. The RP youth team was able to defend its crown this despite using Bonnie de Jesus sparingly. He was slow and lumbering, typical of most big men at that time and was only able to play the game not because of his talent but due to his enormous size. He starred in a tagalong movie entitled “Mong” which was a comic character depicting the struggles of a very tall basketball player. Nothing was heard from de Jesus after the movie until his demise in the early 1980s.

    The tallest PBA player on record is the 7-0 Edward Joseph Feihl who last donned the red and white jersey of the Red Bull Barakos. Feihl had meaningful stints with Ginebra (who drafted him second overall in the 1995 PBA Draft), Purefoods and Alaska. He tried out for a spot in the Welcoat Dragons roster in the offseason but failed to impress coach Leo Austria. Other PBA players who surpassed the 6-8 mark was former Shell beanpole Frederick Canlas, a 6-9 giant whom the Oilers drafted 7th overall in the 2001 PBA Draft (yes, ahead of Renren Ritualo), Air21 Express’ 6-8 Yancy de Ocampo, ex-Ginebra and Alaska player 6-9 James Walkvist, and former Swift, Tanduay and Purefoods gangling 6-9 250lb Bonel Balingit.

    The tallest Filipino ever who played the game based on my recollection was the 7-3 Raul Dillo. Dillo created a lot of fuss when he first burst the basketball scene with a stint at the 1994 Palarong Pambansa. He stood beside a 5-2 teammate who was the shortest player in the tournament. Dillo was enlisted by the University of the East Red Warriors as a member of its training team but failed to make the grade. After his UE stint, he took his acts to the MBA where he became a sideshow to the San Juan Knights. Dillo never played a single game in the MBA. He then drifted to showbizness playing bit roles as either a monster or a Kapre (a Philippine mythical figure similar to Bigfoot in the West).

    Today, the title of the tallest active PBA player is being shared by Sta. Lucia Realty’s 6-9 Marlou Aquino, Red Bull’s 6-9 Mick Pennisi, San Miguel’s injured center 6-9 Andy Seigle and Talk N Text’s 6-9 Asi Taulava.

    Before the time of the Marlou Aquinos and Asi Taulavas of this generation, there was the 6-6 Romulo “Big Mama” Mamaril and the 6-7 Adriano “Dong” Polistico who manned the courts of Ultra, Cuneta Astrodome and the Araneta Coliseum. They were the tallest PBA players in the late 1990s and cast fear on court because of their mean streak and gargantuan size. Mamaril was a lean, towering slotman who could score inside and block shots. He played a total of 449 games in 11 years averaging 4.7 ppg and 4.6 rpg for Crispa, Manhattan, Tanduay, Anejo and Shell. Polistico, on the other hand, made a name for himself as an enforcer, the one tasked to defend against the other team’s best frontcourt players. He played 433 games in the PBA averaging 3.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg for Alaska Milk and San Miguel Beer. He donned the national colors in the 1994 Asian Games and the 1999 Jones Cup.

    6-10 Samigue Eman finally made it to the PBA , he will replace the likes of Mick Pennisi and Andy Seigle as one of the tallest active PBA players. Eman, 24, unlike other traditional big men, is no slouch. He is very mobile and well-coordinated. He moves with grace, dunks with authority and blocks shots with impunity. At one time during the past PBL conference, he led the league in block shots with an astonishing 4 blocks a game. He is still on the verge of developing into a solid player and has very raw fundamentals. The consensus is he will get better as he earns enough experience playing against tough competition. He could have made it into the big league as one of three players Welcoat Dragons planned to elevate directly but got nixed.

    Another set of tall youngsters – 6-9 ultra-athletic pair of Japeth Aguilar and Gian Chiu – are currently playing and studying abroad. If they both make into the NBA in the near future, they will get into the record books as the first Filipino(s) to ever make it into the majors. If they fail, well, at least, they had a good training ground to be a successful professional basketball player in the Philippines.

    Tallest Filipino Basketball Players of All-Time
    Note: Height is based on the measurements that appear in various media sources and not necessarily the actual physical measurements. If you know the actual height of these players, please tell me.

    1) Raul Dillo 7’3” University of the East (UAAP), San Juan Knights (MBA)
    2) EJ Feihl 7’0” Adamson University (UAAP), Ginebra, Purefoods, Alaska, Red Bull (PBA)
    3) Samigue Eman 6’10” University of Mindanao, Rain or Shine (PBL)
    4) Andrew John Seigle 6’9” Talk N Text, Purefoods, Brgy Ginebra (PBA)
    5) James Walkvist 6’9” Ginebra (PBA)
    6) Marlou Aquino 6’9” Adamson University (UAAP), Ginebra, Sta Lucia Realty (PBA)
    7) Bonnel Balingit 6’9” Swift, Tanduay, Purefoods (PBA)
    8) Mick Pennisi 6’9” Red Bull (PBA)
    9) Frederick Canlas 6’9” Formula Shell (PBA)
    10) Asi Taulava 6’9” Talk N Text (PBA)
    11) Japeth Aguilar 6’9” Ateneo (UAAP), Western Kentucky University (NCAA)
    12) Gian Chiu 6’9” Ateneo HS (UAAP)
    13) Paolo Napo 6’9” University of the East (UAAP)
    14) Danny Jomamil 6’9” Adamson University (UAAP)
    15) Yancy de Ocampo 6’8” St Francis (NCRAA), Air21, Talk N Text (PBA)
    16) Raffy Reavies 6’8” Swift, Brgy Ginebra (PBA)
    17) Joachim Thoss 6’8” Alaska (PBA)
    18) Bonifacio de Jesus 6’8” RP Team Youth Asian Games (1978)
    19) Don Yabut 6’8” Far Eastern University (UAAP), Welcoat (PBL)
    20) Francis de Leon 6’8” San Sebastian College (NCAA)
    21) Jason Ballesteros 6’8” San Sebastian College (NCAA)
    22) Eric Suguitan 6’8” University of the East (UAAP)
    23) Lawrence Bonus 6’7” University of Manila, Montana (PBL)
    24) Alex Crisano 6’7” Ginebra, Tanduay (PBA)
    25) Dong Polistico 6’7” Alaska (PBA)
    26) Cris Bolado 6’7” National University (UAAP), Alaska, Swift, Ginebra, Purefoods (PBA)
    27) Mark Kong 6’7” Adamson University (UAAP), Alaska, San Miguel (PBA)
    28) Mark Andaya 6’7” Letran College (NCAA), Talk N Text (PBA)
    29) Vincent San Diego 6’7” De La Salle University (UAAP)
    30) Gilbert Lao 6’7” University of Sto. Thomas (UAAP) Coca Cola, Welcoat (PBA)
    31) Dorian Pea 6’7” Cornell University (NCAA), San Miguel (PBA)
    32) Giovanni Pineda 6’7” Adamson University (UAAP), Alaska (PBA)
    33) Clark “Pep” Moore 6’7” San Sebastian College (NCAA)
    34) Philip Butel 6’7” University of the East (UAAP)
    35) Dino Berame 6’7” University of the Visayas (CESAFI)

    Do you know other taller Filipino basketball players?

    Tallest Filipinas Ever....???????
    Last edited by dreamwalker; 09-09-2007 at 01:38 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lebron23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,902

    Default

    1) Raul Dillo 7’2” University of the East (UAAP), San Juan Knights (MBA)
    2) EJ Feihl 7’0” Adamson University (UAAP), Ginebra, Purefoods, Alaska, Red Bull (PBA)
    3) Samigue Eman 6’8” University of Mindanao, Rain or Shine (PBL)
    4) Andrew John Seigle 6’7 3/4” Talk N Text, Purefoods, Brgy Ginebra (PBA)
    5) James Walkvist 6’8” Ginebra (PBA)
    6) Marlou Aquino 6’9” Adamson University (UAAP), Ginebra, Sta Lucia Realty (PBA)
    7) Bonnel Balingit 6’8” Swift, Tanduay, Purefoods (PBA)
    8) Mick Pennisi 6’8” Red Bull (PBA)
    9) Frederick Canlas 6’9” Formula Shell (PBA)
    10) Asi Taulava 6’7 3/4” Talk N Text (PBA)
    11) Japeth Aguilar 6’7” Ateneo (UAAP), Western Kentucky University (NCAA)
    12) Gian Chiu 6’7” Ateneo HS (UAAP)
    13) Paolo Napo 6’9” University of the East (UAAP)
    14) Danny Jomamil 6’9” Adamson University (UAAP)
    15) Yancy de Ocampo 6’8” St Francis (NCRAA), Air21, Talk N Text (PBA)
    16) Raffy Reavies 6’7” Swift, Brgy Ginebra (PBA)
    17) Joachim Thoss 6’7” Alaska (PBA)
    18) Bonifacio de Jesus 6’8” RP Team Youth Asian Games (1978)
    19) Don Yabut 6’7” Far Eastern University (UAAP), Welcoat (PBL)
    20) Francis de Leon 6’8” San Sebastian College (NCAA)
    21) Jason Ballesteros 6’8” San Sebastian College (NCAA)
    22) Eric Suguitan 6’8” University of the East (UAAP)
    23) Lawrence Bonus 6’7” University of Manila, Montana (PBL)
    24) Alex Crisano 6’5” Ginebra, Tanduay (PBA)
    25) Dong Polistico 6’7” Alaska (PBA)
    26) Cris Bolado 6’7” National University (UAAP), Alaska, Swift, Ginebra, Purefoods (PBA)
    27) Mark Kong 6’5” Adamson University (UAAP), Alaska, San Miguel (PBA)
    28) Mark Andaya 6’7” Letran College (NCAA), Talk N Text (PBA)
    29) Vincent San Diego 6’7” De La Salle University (UAAP)
    30) Gilbert Lao 6’6” University of Sto. Thomas (UAAP) Coca Cola, Welcoat (PBA)
    31) Dorian Pea 6’6” Cornell University (NCAA), San Miguel (PBA)
    32) Giovanni Pineda 6’5” Adamson University (UAAP), Alaska (PBA)
    33) Clark “Pep” Moore 6’7” San Sebastian College (NCAA)
    34) Philip Butel 6’7” University of the East (UAAP)
    35) Dino Berame 6’7” University of the Visayas (CESAFI)
    36. Ervin Sotto - 6'5" St. Francis University, former Ginebra
    37. Joe Devance- 6'7 3/4"- Welcoat Dragons

    Do you know other taller Filipino basketball players?

    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/9225/pba.html

    1997 PBA Season Unofficial site
    Last edited by Lebron23; 09-17-2007 at 06:06 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member thayil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pasay
    Posts
    989
    Country: Philippines

    Default ..

    how about Bacon? I forgot his first name, he is about 6'9 - 6'10.

    I think he played for UPHR during NCAA 2001.. that time he was abused by Kerby Raymundo who is playing For Letran.

  4. #4
    Senior Member armorpiercing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    blackwood new jersey. USA
    Posts
    245

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    1) Raul Dillo 7’2” University of the East (UAAP), San Juan Knights (MBA)
    2) EJ Feihl 7’0” Adamson University (UAAP), Ginebra, Purefoods, Alaska, Red Bull (PBA)
    3) Samigue Eman 6’8” University of Mindanao, Rain or Shine (PBL)
    4) Andrew John Seigle 6’7 3/4” Talk N Text, Purefoods, Brgy Ginebra (PBA)
    5) James Walkvist 6’8” Ginebra (PBA)
    6) Marlou Aquino 6’9” Adamson University (UAAP), Ginebra, Sta Lucia Realty (PBA)
    7) Bonnel Balingit 6’8” Swift, Tanduay, Purefoods (PBA)
    8) Mick Pennisi 6’8” Red Bull (PBA)
    9) Frederick Canlas 6’9” Formula Shell (PBA)
    10) Asi Taulava 6’7 3/4” Talk N Text (PBA)
    11) Japeth Aguilar 6’7” Ateneo (UAAP), Western Kentucky University (NCAA)
    12) Gian Chiu 6’7” Ateneo HS (UAAP)
    13) Paolo Napo 6’9” University of the East (UAAP)
    14) Danny Jomamil 6’9” Adamson University (UAAP)
    15) Yancy de Ocampo 6’8” St Francis (NCRAA), Air21, Talk N Text (PBA)
    16) Raffy Reavies 6’7” Swift, Brgy Ginebra (PBA)
    17) Joachim Thoss 6’7” Alaska (PBA)
    18) Bonifacio de Jesus 6’8” RP Team Youth Asian Games (1978)
    19) Don Yabut 6’7” Far Eastern University (UAAP), Welcoat (PBL)
    20) Francis de Leon 6’8” San Sebastian College (NCAA)
    21) Jason Ballesteros 6’8” San Sebastian College (NCAA)
    22) Eric Suguitan 6’8” University of the East (UAAP)
    23) Lawrence Bonus 6’7” University of Manila, Montana (PBL)
    24) Alex Crisano 6’5” Ginebra, Tanduay (PBA)
    25) Dong Polistico 6’7” Alaska (PBA)
    26) Cris Bolado 6’7” National University (UAAP), Alaska, Swift, Ginebra, Purefoods (PBA)
    27) Mark Kong 6’5” Adamson University (UAAP), Alaska, San Miguel (PBA)
    28) Mark Andaya 6’7” Letran College (NCAA), Talk N Text (PBA)
    29) Vincent San Diego 6’7” De La Salle University (UAAP)
    30) Gilbert Lao 6’6” University of Sto. Thomas (UAAP) Coca Cola, Welcoat (PBA)
    31) Dorian Pea 6’6” Cornell University (NCAA), San Miguel (PBA)
    32) Giovanni Pineda 6’5” Adamson University (UAAP), Alaska (PBA)
    33) Clark “Pep” Moore 6’7” San Sebastian College (NCAA)
    34) Philip Butel 6’7” University of the East (UAAP)
    35) Dino Berame 6’7” University of the Visayas (CESAFI)
    36. Ervin Sotto - 6'5" St. Francis University, former Ginebra

    Do you know other taller Filipino basketball players?

    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/9225/pba.html

    1997 PBA Season Unofficial site
    HOW ABOUT MONG HE PLAYED IN THE NBA ( sa komiks ) just kidding> peace bro.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lebron23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,902

    Default

    I also add 6'7 Marc Anthony Nanninga, former UST Growling Tigers, I thought he will be a special player in the UAAP but it turns out he was just an ordinaly role player. He did not actually blossom in the UAAP and after 2 seasons, he was waived by the team in 2003.

    http://www.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/player.aspx?id=173

    2001 UAAP Season

    2.8 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 0.3 APG, 0.8 BPG


    2002 UAAP Season

    1.3 PPG, 1.3 RPG, 0.0 APG, 0.3 BPG
    Last edited by Lebron23; 09-09-2007 at 11:31 AM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Raymond Lacson - 6'9", De La Salle Univ

  7. #7
    Senior Member thugpinoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thayil
    how about Bacon? I forgot his first name, he is about 6'9 - 6'10.

    I think he played for UPHR during NCAA 2001.. that time he was abused by Kerby Raymundo who is playing For Letran.
    I think Adrian Bacon passed away already.. the cause, i dont know..
    maybe we can ask our resident wikepedia guy here in IBN.. Mr. Anthony Servinio
    Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

  8. #8
    Senior Member thugpinoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Romulo Mamaril
    Homer Se
    Adonis Sta.Maria
    Ford Arao
    Ruel Buenaventura
    Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    109

    Default

    6'6 players are already the norm in the PBA. Those standing 6'7 and above should be prioritized in the list instead.

    Speaking of 6'6, Eric Menk was measured at 6'6 in bare feet by the NT coaching staff two years ago when the NT pool was started.
    Fear leads to Anger.
    Anger leads to Hate.
    Hate leads to suffering.

  10. #10
    Senior Member bolabasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    this is an 0ld article some 3 years ago...
    SMART GILAS: all the way

  11. #11
    Senior Member bolabasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    6-8 Samigue Eman has 3 younger brothers: 6-4 Fernando, 21, 6-7 Christopher, 20 and 6-6 Spencer, 18
    SMART GILAS: all the way

  12. #12
    Senior Member thayil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pasay
    Posts
    989
    Country: Philippines

    Default ..

    Quote Originally Posted by thugpinoy
    I think Adrian Bacon passed away already.. the cause, i dont know..
    maybe we can ask our resident wikepedia guy here in IBN.. Mr. Anthony Servinio

    aww really? Im not surprise if its Health Problems. He is very thin eh..

  13. #13
    Senior Member friedbrains's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolabasket
    6-8 Samigue Eman has 3 younger brothers: 6-4 Fernando, 21, 6-7 Christopher, 20 and 6-6 Spencer, 18

    Let's get all the EMAN's. Cousins, sisters, hell even young uncles and aunties!

  14. #14
    Senior Member donmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ōtautahi, Aotearoa
    Posts
    3,416
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Have you guys forgot about that 8 foot guy from Mount Apo... remember him... he's in a middle of a basketball training right now... the SBP officials hired a professional-personal trainer to teach him the fundamental rules on how to play proper basketball... they're trying to train him with a Spalding or a Molten... the 8 foot guy was born in Mount Apo and learn to play basketball the Filipino way.. although he plays barefooted and use Coconut as a Basketball...

  15. #15
    Senior Member KamoteQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donmar
    Have you guys forgot about that 8 foot guy from Mount Apo... remember him... he's in a middle of a basketball training right now... the SBP officials hired a professional-personal trainer to teach him the fundamental rules on how to play proper basketball... they're trying to train him with a Spalding or a Molten... the 8 foot guy was born in Mount Apo and learn to play basketball the Filipino way.. although he plays barefooted and use Coconut as a Basketball...
    I think you're lying...
    Is that true?? or what??

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donmar
    Have you guys forgot about that 8 foot guy from Mount Apo... remember him... he's in a middle of a basketball training right now... the SBP officials hired a professional-personal trainer to teach him the fundamental rules on how to play proper basketball... they're trying to train him with a Spalding or a Molten... the 8 foot guy was born in Mount Apo and learn to play basketball the Filipino way.. although he plays barefooted and use Coconut as a Basketball...
    Yeah i heard that 8 foot guy from mt. apo, the thing is he was circumsized last summer but unfortunately got infected. Intelligence reports say he can't jump nor run because his balls got bigger the size of watermelon Well, i dont know if he has healed already....

  17. #17
    Senior Member thugpinoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Michael Otto
    Eric Canlas
    Rysal Castro
    Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

  18. #18
    Senior Member donmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ōtautahi, Aotearoa
    Posts
    3,416
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onono1
    Yeah i heard that 8 foot guy from mt. apo, the thing is he was circumsized last summer but unfortunately got infected. Intelligence reports say he can't jump nor run because his balls got bigger the size of watermelon Well, i dont know if he has healed already....
    Oh yeah... thats why he was sent to the U.S. its for medication.. I thought he's going for basketball training... ... Oh well!

  19. #19
    Senior Member thugpinoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    429

    Default

    i thought the tallest human in the world stands 7'9??? this guy who got married couple of months back from NOKOR...
    Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

  20. #20
    Senior Member Lebron23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,902

    Default




    Leonid StadnykЛеонід Стадник
    Born 1971
    Podolyantsi, Chudnivsky Raion,
    Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
    Known for Tallest living human being
    Height 2.57 m (8 ft 5 in)
    Weight 200 kg (440 lb)

    Leonid Stadnyk (Ukrainian: Леонід Іванович Стадник) (born 1971 in Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union) is the world's tallest living man according to Guinness World Records 2008.[1] He is a certified veterinarian and veterinary surgeon and lives with his mother in the village of Podolyantsi, Ukraine. He claims to be 2.57 m (8 ft 5 in) tall, and claims to be about 200 kg (440 lb) (April, 2004). He also claims to have the largest palm size recorded, at 31 cm (12 in) long (this claim has not been independently verified).[2]

    Leonid Stadnyk's excessive growth began after brain surgery when he was 12 years old. He developed a pituitary gland tumor which caused the gland to secrete large amounts of growth hormone, resulting in what doctors describe as acromegalic gigantism.

    He has claimed to be the tallest man in the world much earlier, but had not been recognized as such, as he previously refused to be measured according to Guinness World Records procedures.

    On August 8, 2007, Guinness book's spokeswoman Amarilis Espinoza stated that in the 2008 edition of the record book, Mr Stadnyk at 2.57m, replaces Bao Xishun, a native of Inner Mongolia in China who stands 2.36 m.[3]

    A Pravda news report in Spring 2006 reported that Leonid Stadnyk grew 2 cm (0.79 in) in the previous year, not accounting the time between the original Spring 2004 report and Spring 2005. According to Pravda, his health is slowly failing in that he needs to hold on to limbs of trees and the side of his house to walk about. A group of Ukrainian business people donated a satellite dish and a computer to Stadnyk and now he is on the Internet.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •