Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 115 of 115

Thread: FIBA 2017 AmeriCup!

  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,046
    Country: United States

    Default

    Definitely wouldn't count it. Not a real US team. Similar to Pan Am Games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Definitely wouldn't count it. Not a real US team. Similar to Pan Am Games.
    Yeah that's a good comparison. Teams were very similar.

  3. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Assuming Argentina qualifies for the '19 Worlds, they will be a complete non factor in a world event for the first time since the 90's.
    They just don't have much talent.

  4. #104
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,112
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Assuming Argentina qualifies for the '19 Worlds, they will be a complete non factor in a world event for the first time since the 90's.
    They just don't have much talent.
    If Canada makes it through qualification (lets be honest, if you lose to the Virgin Islands, you get an IF on everything), they are a solid bet for that second Olympics slot.
    SVG Detroit Pistons: WE'RE FORMING AN F'N WALL!

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  5. #105
    Senior Member locdogjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    279
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    I mean yeah, but I'm trying to sound humble....

    BTW for fellow US fans, if the qualifying team loses do you consider that a mark against the US undefeated streak (2007- Present)?

    I would have counted it, since I'm counting this team's win towards the streak, but I want to get other opinions.
    Canadian not American, but if it is official FIBA sanctioned play then yes, it counts.

    I've even had arguments with Americans where they say "Oh, if we lose the world championships it doesn't count, we didn't have Lebron or Kobe, we ONLY had Irving and Harden" or whoever they want to pick and choose.

    If it is a main FIBA event, and you lose, it counts on the national teams record.

    With that said, it doesn't really matter.

    I do feel bad for these G-League dudes that will put in all this effort to qualify the USA for the World Cup and then the big dogs come push them out of the way and say, "We've got it from here"
    We The North

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    If Canada makes it through qualification (lets be honest, if you lose to the Virgin Islands, you get an IF on everything), they are a solid bet for that second Olympics slot.
    I hope they make it. I want to see Joseph, Murray, Wiggins, Olynyk, Thompson and others on the same team for once.

    What's the story with Brazil ? Can they compete ?

  7. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locdogjr View Post

    I've even had arguments with Americans where they say "Oh, if we lose the world championships it doesn't count, we didn't have Lebron or Kobe, we ONLY had Irving and Harden" or whoever they want to pick and choose.
    That's dumb. Those guys are lost. Every team has absences. If you use a criteria like that only the '92 team had the top 7 or 8 no doubt best players on the team. Even '96 was missing Jordan.

  8. #108
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,112
    Country: United States

    Default

    My definition of a team that counts is 10 currently in the NBA guys. Even if they're all bench guys I'll count it, I'll say wtf but I'll count it. If it's not even 5 guys in the NBA it's a hard no.
    SVG Detroit Pistons: WE'RE FORMING AN F'N WALL!

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    My definition of a team that counts is 10 currently in the NBA guys. Even if they're all bench guys I'll count it, I'll say wtf but I'll count it. If it's not even 5 guys in the NBA it's a hard no.
    Yeah I'll go with that. Something like the 2001 Goodwill games team which had young Nba players.

  10. #110
    Senior Member locdogjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    279
    Country: Canada

    Default

    What about other countries?

    China lost the Asia Cup this year and didn't have Yi or Zou Qi, do they get to put an asterisk?

    Greece doesn't have Giannis, can they get to make an excuse?

    I certainly see the difference between one player and an tire team being G-level players, but what is the line? A whole shit load of European teams are going to be trying to qualify without their NBA players or potentially even Euroleague guys.

    As for Canada, poor poor senior level men's basketball, we can never seem to get our act together. This team had a decent level of talent, but they also had players I've never heard of, which as a pretty high level nerd is a tough thing to do. The domestic league players are going to have a hard time getting the job done, essentially it is going to come down to, "Who is in the G-League right now?". Canada will grab those G-League guys, maybe a few European players and then NBL dudes and hope that gets the job done. If Canada can actualy get players like Wiltjier, khem Birch, Melvin Ejim, etc to suit up, we have a chance. if it is a smattering of NBL guys, we in trouble.
    We The North

  11. #111
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,112
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locdogjr View Post
    What about other countries?

    China lost the Asia Cup this year and didn't have Yi or Zou Qi, do they get to put an asterisk?

    Greece doesn't have Giannis, can they get to make an excuse?

    I certainly see the difference between one player and an tire team being G-level players, but what is the line? A whole shit load of European teams are going to be trying to qualify without their NBA players or potentially even Euroleague guys.

    As for Canada, poor poor senior level men's basketball, we can never seem to get our act together. This team had a decent level of talent, but they also had players I've never heard of, which as a pretty high level nerd is a tough thing to do. The domestic league players are going to have a hard time getting the job done, essentially it is going to come down to, "Who is in the G-League right now?". Canada will grab those G-League guys, maybe a few European players and then NBL dudes and hope that gets the job done. If Canada can actualy get players like Wiltjier, khem Birch, Melvin Ejim, etc to suit up, we have a chance. if it is a smattering of NBL guys, we in trouble.
    I think every national team/national team fanbase has to to set their own standards.

    For some teams a weakened team is a B/C team. For the US a team like this is aptly called a G team.

    Yes it is still a very capable team, and that speaks to the US unmatched depth, but it is SOOOOO far below a standard Olympic/World team that some will say it doesn't count.
    SVG Detroit Pistons: WE'RE FORMING AN F'N WALL!

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  12. #112
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,046
    Country: United States

    Default

    If none of the top 200 players in the country are on the team I think it is reasonable to say it doesn't count.

    For IBN historical purposes I love that Van Gundy is the coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  13. #113
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    If none of the top 200 players in the country are on the team
    Yeah I think that pretty much sums up the gap between these countries when a team playing at home with just about all it's best available players loses to a team like that.

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post

    For IBN historical purposes I love that Van Gundy is the coach.
    I like Van Gundy the guy is a winning coach. And more importantly anyone who refers to Michael Jordan as a con man is ok in my book.

  15. #115
    Senior Member Mojado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Little Tobago
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    From what I was able to gather, three players from the Mexican NT got into a fight with security at 4am at a bowling center in Cordoba after their 3rd place game
    They might be sanctioned by the Mexican sports authorities now...
    https://el-periodico.com.ar/noticia/...ico-en-cordoba

    I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

    TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •