FIBA 2017 AmeriCup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dtown View Post
    If Canada makes it through qualification (lets be honest, if you lose to the Virgin Islands, you get an IF on everything), they are a solid bet for that second Olympics slot.
    I hope they make it. I want to see Joseph, Murray, Wiggins, Olynyk, Thompson and others on the same team for once.

What's the story with Brazil ? Can they compete ?
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• Originally posted by locdogjr View Post

I've even had arguments with Americans where they say "Oh, if we lose the world championships it doesn't count, we didn't have Lebron or Kobe, we ONLY had Irving and Harden" or whoever they want to pick and choose.
      That's dumb. Those guys are lost. Every team has absences. If you use a criteria like that only the '92 team had the top 7 or 8 no doubt best players on the team. Even '96 was missing Jordan.

Comment

• My definition of a team that counts is 10 currently in the NBA guys. Even if they're all bench guys I'll count it, I'll say wtf but I'll count it. If it's not even 5 guys in the NBA it's a hard no.
        Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dtown View Post
          My definition of a team that counts is 10 currently in the NBA guys. Even if they're all bench guys I'll count it, I'll say wtf but I'll count it. If it's not even 5 guys in the NBA it's a hard no.
          Yeah I'll go with that. Something like the 2001 Goodwill games team which had young Nba players.

Comment

• What about other countries?

China lost the Asia Cup this year and didn't have Yi or Zou Qi, do they get to put an asterisk?

Greece doesn't have Giannis, can they get to make an excuse?

I certainly see the difference between one player and an tire team being G-level players, but what is the line? A whole shit load of European teams are going to be trying to qualify without their NBA players or potentially even Euroleague guys.

As for Canada, poor poor senior level men's basketball, we can never seem to get our act together. This team had a decent level of talent, but they also had players I've never heard of, which as a pretty high level nerd is a tough thing to do. The domestic league players are going to have a hard time getting the job done, essentially it is going to come down to, "Who is in the G-League right now?". Canada will grab those G-League guys, maybe a few European players and then NBL dudes and hope that gets the job done. If Canada can actualy get players like Wiltjier, khem Birch, Melvin Ejim, etc to suit up, we have a chance. if it is a smattering of NBL guys, we in trouble.
            We The North

Comment

• Originally posted by locdogjr View Post
              What about other countries?

China lost the Asia Cup this year and didn't have Yi or Zou Qi, do they get to put an asterisk?

Greece doesn't have Giannis, can they get to make an excuse?

I certainly see the difference between one player and an tire team being G-level players, but what is the line? A whole shit load of European teams are going to be trying to qualify without their NBA players or potentially even Euroleague guys.

As for Canada, poor poor senior level men's basketball, we can never seem to get our act together. This team had a decent level of talent, but they also had players I've never heard of, which as a pretty high level nerd is a tough thing to do. The domestic league players are going to have a hard time getting the job done, essentially it is going to come down to, "Who is in the G-League right now?". Canada will grab those G-League guys, maybe a few European players and then NBL dudes and hope that gets the job done. If Canada can actualy get players like Wiltjier, khem Birch, Melvin Ejim, etc to suit up, we have a chance. if it is a smattering of NBL guys, we in trouble.
              I think every national team/national team fanbase has to to set their own standards.

For some teams a weakened team is a B/C team. For the US a team like this is aptly called a G team.

Yes it is still a very capable team, and that speaks to the US unmatched depth, but it is SOOOOO far below a standard Olympic/World team that some will say it doesn't count.
              Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

• If none of the top 200 players in the country are on the team I think it is reasonable to say it doesn't count.

For IBN historical purposes I love that Van Gundy is the coach.
                Originally posted by Fedfan
                Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                Originally posted by GuTO
                refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• Originally posted by JGX View Post
                  If none of the top 200 players in the country are on the team
                  Yeah I think that pretty much sums up the gap between these countries when a team playing at home with just about all it's best available players loses to a team like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGX View Post

For IBN historical purposes I love that Van Gundy is the coach.
                    I like Van Gundy the guy is a winning coach. And more importantly anyone who refers to Michael Jordan as a con man is ok in my book.

Comment

• From what I was able to gather, three players from the Mexican NT got into a fight with security at 4am at a bowling center in Cordoba after their 3rd place game
                      They might be sanctioned by the Mexican sports authorities now...
                      https://el-periodico.com.ar/noticia/...ico-en-cordoba

I from Wisconsin!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information