No announcement yet.

Tournament of Americas, Day 1 recap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament of Americas, Day 1 recap...

USA vs. Venezuela: 112:69
    Brazil vs. Canada: 75:67
    Mexico vs. Puerto Rico: 100-89
    Uruguay vs. Panama: 88-84

Nobody should be surprised by the Venezuela, US outcome. I watched the entire game live, and the Venezuelans were acting like food for the gods pretty much from the first quarter onward. The US led 54-34 at halftime, and pretty much poured in on the South Americans with highlight reel dunks and easy layups in the second half. Having been assembled as a team just a few weeks ago, the US offense lacked real continuity and decisiveness. They missed a ton of threes (Just 8 of 21, 38%) and the halfcourt sets consisted of driving to the lane, one-on-one isolations, or dribble-and-kick plays for three opportunities. Most of the US points came off bad Venezuelan shots and turnovers (VEN had over 20), leading to easy transition points. These sort of offensive opportunities won't be available versus more formitable teams such as Brazil and Argentina, and should they make it to Beijing, against the top tier European squads. Defensively, the US looked far more sharper. Bryant alone reaked havoc in the Venezuelan backcourt, causing several turnovers and bad decisions. How the US defend against better offensive teams is another story, though. All and all, good win for the US.

The most surprising outcome from yesterday was Mexico, Puerto Rico. Based on how Puerto Rico played Wednesday it's entirely possible that this team could be eliminated after the first round, something that's never happened to them in five previous Tournament of the Americas. The boriquas just aren't playing good basketball. You just can't allow a team to shoot 36 of 46 (78%) from the field and expect to win. Team Puerto Rico looks cooked.

Originally posted by Federoy
    The most surprising outcome from yesterday was Mexico, Puerto Rico. Based on how Puerto Rico played Wednesday it's entirely possible that this team could be eliminated after the first round, something that's never happened to them in five previous Tournament of the Americas. The boriquas just aren't playing good basketball. You just can't allow a team to shoot 36 of 46 (78%) from the field and expect to win. Team Puerto Rico looks cooked.
    I watched the first half of this game and than I fell asleep. There was no defense played in this game.
    You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

vamos Uruguay!!!
      "No hay poder en el mundo que pueda cambiar el destino"
      -El Padrino

Comment

I think PR will make it, it's one game I expect them to get pass the preliminary.

Loved to see USA dominate though, but they are going to have to shoot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Leahmic223
          I think PR will make it, it's one game I expect them to get pass the preliminary.
          The problem is, this loss against Mexico can really hurt PR at the long run. It could be the difference bewteen playing semifinals vs Brazil/Argentina or vs USA, for example. And Barea being suspended for two games (including vs Argentina) can hurt PR even more.

Comment

howd he get suspended?

also cold PR be having difficulties because their main center was it unexpectedly quit the team?

info and opinions especially from k2 and the other rico suaves in here would be much appreciated on your take of it

and i take this snippet from espn.com

"he Americans missed seven of their first nine 3-point attempts and were only 20-for-29 from the free throw line, two of their biggest weaknesses in recent years."

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/...ory?id=2987531

gees. still worries me a lot. for me free throws is definitely my coutry;s biggest weakpoint.....
            "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

USA shot 10-26 from three-point range, for a .385 percentage, that's perfectly good shooting. If they had shot .385 from three at the World Championships last year it would have been one of the top percentages in the tournament and better than all the other teams that made it to the late stages.

For that matter, the US shot fine from outside last summer, they had some rougher games near the end, but when you lose 101-95 the problem is with the 101, not the 95.

Hard to take any conclusions from this game--Venezuela had terrible results in their pre-tournament games and continued to play poorly here. Apparently their coach was unhappy with only conceding 54 points in the first half and told them to stop playing defense altogether in the third quarter.

I thought the US played pretty good man-to-man. Zone was not very effective when they tried it. Hopefully the defense will be tested more later in the tournament, that is the big concern with US teams, not the offense.
              Originally posted by Fedfan
              Most ppl get childish when they lose.
              Originally posted by GuTO
              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by Phantim3dx
                info and opinions especially from k2 and the other rico suaves in here would be much appreciated on your take of it
                sorry, K2 cant watch the games cuz some idiot decided that he was going to buy the rights to broadcast the games through satellite/cable tv service

whatever... I hope we go winless and coach gets fired in the middle of chaos so Hector Martinez gets discouraged from buying the rights for the games next year or whenever they play again

I watched part of the USA-Venezuela game and I was not impressed. That squad is the Venezuelan NT bench playing as starters, the only one who actually is a player there is Pepito Romero. Where was Richard Lugo, V.D. Diaz, Oscar Torres, Rafael Guevarra?

another thing... that guy that scored 30 on PR sucks, he REALLY SUCKS
                you got what you deserve Manolo
                get a coach Hetin
                devuelvanle el equipo nacional al pueblo
                Last edited by J-Mart; 08-23-2007, 07:10 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Torres has a knee injury, Diaz is 100 years old, Lugo is old too. They're unlikely to make Beijing even if they fielded all the veterans, better to start using the younger players and aim towards 2010 IMO.
                  refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

A small write up I did on the new Interbasket News Blog (don't worry it hasn't been released yet)

USA vs. Venezuela: 112:69
                    Carmelo Anthony and Michael Redd each scored 17 points as the United States defense forced Venezuela into 19 turnovers. Amare Stoudemire added 16 and Kobe Bryant 14 points for the US. Greivis Vasquez, an incoming freshman at Maryland, scored 12 points for Venezuela on 3-11 shooting. The US will face the Virgin Islands today.

Brazil vs. Canada: 75:67
                    Leandro Barbosa scored 30 points, including a floater with about 2 minutes left to give Brazil the lead for good.

Uruguay vs. Panama: 88-84
                    As expected, Esteban Batista was pivotal for Uruguay. He scored 26 points and pulled down 19 rebounds against Panama last night. With 2 seconds left, Batista powered his way to the basket to force overtime. And in overtime, the Atlanta Hawk gave Uruguay the 81-79 lead with 1:54 left in OT. Jaime Lloreda scored 21 points and Danilo Pinnock, who played at George Washington, had 16 points. Uruguay will face Argentina tonight. Click here for Esteban Batista's thoughts after the game.

Mexico vs. Puerto Rico: 100-89
                    Following the exciting overtime battle between Uruguay and Panama. Victor Mariscal scored 22 points for Mexico as they upset the spiraling downward Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico made it a game in the third by decreasing their deficit, even taking a small lead during the fourth quarter, but when Horacio Llamas nailed a three with just over one minute to play, Mexico had stretched its lead back to double-digits at 98-86 and chants of "Mexico! Mexico! Mexico!" filled the arena. NBA player Carlos Arroyo went 0-10 from the field and scored 4 points, all from the free-throw line.
                    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                    http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by JGX
                      Torres has a knee injury, Diaz is 100 years old, Lugo is old too. They're unlikely to make Beijing even if they fielded all the veterans, better to start using the younger players and aim towards 2010 IMO.
                      that team finished 2nd in 2005, and is at least 30 points better than the one they assembled for this year

come on, Carl Herrera would have made this squad if he tried out this year and he calls Mutombo a rookie

and where the f... is Chamo Perez?
                      Ernesto Mijares?
                      sigpic

Comment

Hard to take any conclusions from this game--Venezuela had terrible results in their pre-tournament games and continued to play poorly here. Apparently their coach was unhappy with only conceding 54 points in the first half and told them to stop playing defense altogether in the third quarter.

If this is true, and I were the head of the Venezuela Basketball Federation, I would fire the coach on the spot. Play for pride if nothing else, but never tell your team to lay down.

Comment

Originally posted by -K2-
                          that team finished 2nd in 2005
                          Yeah, with a bad USA team, a weaker Argentina team, probably a weaker Canada team as well.

They were terrible at the WC last year, and they'd only get worse if they kept playing all the old guys. Maybe they would sneak into the qualifying tournament next year, but would it be worth it just to lose to Lebanon again?

Comment

howd he get suspended?

also cold PR be having difficulties because their main center was it unexpectedly quit the team?
                            Barea got ejected in the 3rd quarter for insulting a referee. That also got him suspended. And not having Daniel Santiago is a big loss.
                            info and opinions especially from k2 and the other rico suaves
                            I just spent three whole minutes laughing at that. Good one
                            Originally posted by -K2-
                            that team finished 2nd in 2005
                            Actually, that Venezuelan NT finished third.

Comment

Originally posted by fasoulaki
                              I watched the first half of this game and than I fell asleep. There was no defense played in this game.
                              where did you watch it? mediacenter or via satellite?
                              'cause there is nothing on Dubai sports
                              "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information