2017 jones cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
    why isnt joseph eriobu the phoenix rep in gilas?
    I think he was still with kia during the gilas selection. still would like to see him as part of the pool in the future.

Comment

• Who are confirmed to be playing for the FIBA Asia Cup 2017 in Lebanon?
      GILAS WISHLIST:
      6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by trig View Post
        I think he was still with kia during the gilas selection. still would like to see him as part of the pool in the future.
        and they chose guess who? la revilla lol
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
          Who are confirmed to be playing for the FIBA Asia Cup 2017 in Lebanon?
          wala and thats i dont expect anything with this team...especially if we dont finish no. 1 we will face australia(pseudo a team) in quarters..

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
            wala and thats i dont expect anything with this team...especially if we dont finish no. 1 we will face australia(pseudo a team) in quarters..
            I'll be happy if we get past our group. I don't see us beating China if they send their A team so we'll either end up 2nd or 3rd. That means a team from group A then against a top team in C or D. We got our work cut out for us.
            GILAS WISHLIST:
            6'8 Pingris

Comment

I'll be happy if we get past our group. I don't see us beating China if they send their A team so we'll either end up 2nd or 3rd. That means a team from group A then against a top team in C or D. We got our work cut out for us.
              and we will dont have a training camp coming next week so I really expect the jones cup team to be the "core" with hopefully tall reinforcements..

Comment

I seem to recall pointing out our big men are too complacent staying near the shaded area instead of being mobile, taking perimeter shots, and dishing out assists not long ago as well as encouraging more players to have the skillsets of all positions from 1-5 regardless of how tall they are.

Filipino basketball is too rigid on the position, as if it defines a players abilities. You are 6'9 and play center --> doesn't excuse you from learning how to handle, shoot, slash, or pass.

Overreaction? Here I am still pointing out the flaws of the DDO even after a victory today.
                everyone in this forum knows that. But you need to mix your idealism with reality. We are going in that direction but it takes time. USA only started doing that when they had a hard time vs European teams. Our HS teams and coaches at youth level are just starting to move in that direction.

And its not like we have a ton of 6'8s in the country. How many of them actually have the talent and athletic genes. How many of them get to compete with players just as tall. Sure sending them overseas would be nice, but who will sponsor them?

Comment

• not really pba was a guard oriented league back then now we obver emphasis on big men..Chinese taipei no matter how soft they are knew how the basic post up and jumpshot is done because they focus on them.. tayo were really guard focused..

We all knew quality of our guards, but xavier idea is play the game right teach tall men face up and dribbling and let them have freedom to do it..

Comment

• Originally posted by trig View Post
                    everyone in this forum knows that. But you need to mix your idealism with reality. We are going in that direction but it takes time. USA only started doing that when they had a hard time vs European teams. Our HS teams and coaches at youth level are just starting to move in that direction.

And its not like we have a ton of 6'8s in the country. How many of them actually have the talent and athletic genes. How many of them get to compete with players just as tall. Sure sending them overseas would be nice, but who will sponsor them?
                    I'll wait. Been following the NT for ten years, I could definitely wait ten or twenty more years.
                    GILAS WISHLIST:
                    6'8 Pingris

Comment

• what people don't realize is that your taller than average pinoys are not athletic but awkward and even lumbering if taller pa. its just the way nature has programmed our physique. the caucasians, africans and chinese have taller average heights. so naturally, their 6'4s are more athletic than our 6'4s. its not as easy as "teaching our bigs guards skills" because they might be taught mentally but their bodies might not cooperate that well.

Comment

• Originally posted by manu_bol View Post
                        what people don't realize is that your taller than average pinoys are not athletic but awkward and even lumbering if taller pa. its just the way nature has programmed our physique. the caucasians, africans and chinese have taller average heights. so naturally, their 6'4s are more athletic than our 6'4s. its not as easy as "teaching our bigs guards skills" because they might be taught mentally but their bodies might not cooperate that well.
                        Diet, my friend, diet. I've seen videos of our NT players outside scrimmages. They eat regular Filipino food which is not healthy from an athlete's perspective. You can say the same for the average Filipino. Our typical popular cuisines like Chicken Adobo are considered unhealthy by many foreigners.

It's not so uncommon to see a 6'0 Singaporean or Korean High Schooler. Just look at the average height of a South Korean during the 60s compared to now. Huge difference.
                        GILAS WISHLIST:
                        6'8 Pingris

Comment

I seem to recall pointing out our big men are too complacent staying near the shaded area instead of being mobile, taking perimeter shots, and dishing out assists not long ago as well as encouraging more players to have the skillsets of all positions from 1-5 regardless of how tall they are.

Filipino basketball is too rigid on the position, as if it defines a players abilities. You are 6'9 and play center --> doesn't excuse you from learning how to handle, shoot, slash, or pass..

Overreaction? Here I am still pointing out the flaws of the DDO even after a victory today.
                          This has been the same problem ever since. I pointed this out a couple of years ago. Young players who are big and tall are just contented to become a center. Nowadays it is very easy to watch players like Lebron, Durant and Draymond Green. These are the players that our young big men should be watching instead of watching players like Junemar Fajardo or Japeth Aguilar. You really don't need extra equipment to develop your passing skills, quickness and ball handling. You just need an open space a phone or tablet that you can use to watch those dribbling drills on youtube

Comment

Diet, my friend, diet. I've seen videos of our NT players outside scrimmages. They eat regular Filipino food which is not healthy from an athlete's perspective. You can say the same for the average Filipino. Our typical popular cuisines like Chicken Adobo are considered unhealthy by many foreigners.

It's not so uncommon to see a 6'0 Singaporean or Korean High Schooler. Just look at the average height of a South Korean during the 60s compared to now. Huge difference.
                            of course, you have to factor in intermixing of races. that's why majority of our bigs are fil-fors like taulava, andy seigle, feihl, thoss, slaughter, edu and kirkness are more athletic than aquino or balingit or junmar. si aguilar naman is an exception. that's why we considered his athleticism as freakish.

interracial marriages is actually the way to go. diet may take decades to bear fruit because the malay race is really a short race.

Comment

• ganito lang yan, no matter how caucasians train and no matter what their diet, the african race and derivatives are still faster, athletic, durable and have more stamina. you only need to watch the olympics sprints and marathons... and basketball (the african-americans compose all of team USA)

Comment

• Originally posted by manu_bol View Post
                                of course, you have to factor in intermixing of races. that's why majority of our bigs are fil-fors like taulava, andy seigle, feihl, thoss, slaughter, edu and kirkness are more athletic than aquino or balingit or junmar. si aguilar naman is an exception. that's why we considered his athleticism as freakish.

interracial marriages is actually the way to go. diet may take decades to bear fruit because the malay race is really a short race.
                                There's no hurt playing the long game. If it takes years, then that's how willingly we should go in order to move our civilization forward.

Believe me, height is all over the sporting world. Tennis, volleyball, athletics, gymnastics, cycling, and even football.
                                GILAS WISHLIST:
                                6'8 Pingris

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information