2017 jones cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoPilipinas View Post
    Why belo is not in the line up? sayang he needs his confidence back.
    That injury really messed up his game.
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

Comment

• One thing Filipinos need to revive is decent freethrow shooting if tbey want to advance in international competitions.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by miman View Post
        Gotta love Kobe's attitude. His enthusiasm in the sideline is great for the team...
        a perfect team mate..
        Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• If you do not care what is happening behind the scene when this team was build then it just goes to show how narrow minded your opinion is.

Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
          As usual, you miss the point of my posts. This is about the NT program as whole. I've been watching our team since 2007 and the same mistakes are repeated over and over.

A basketball game is not only a single quarter. It's four quarters. We have bigs but are not as good as Lithuanian bigs. Now who's fault is that?

I don't care about what's happening behind the scenes. The point of the matter is that we need more size in this team if we want to be competitive globally. Every year it's like this. Every time Chot coaches the team, he always insists on having more small players and focusing the offense from the backcourt. We have a number of players with size but they are almost never present when we need them nor are they effective when inserted to the game. This is a warning sign when we face teams like China or Iran. I seem to recall Chot has yet to break his losing streak to the latter.

I'm always like this every time we lose? No. I'm always like this--win or lose. I've never been a fan of Chot's system but I support the team nonetheless. The fact that we are not taking any necessary strides to have more size in our team is a testament as to how local player development has not been successful. As I've said, I followed our team for ten years and, quite frankly, Chot has made the same mistakes over and over. This year is no different.

It's criticism buddy. Deal with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by paolylo View Post
            Jesus. This Indian team can't play defense. The cadets squad last year didn't have anyone over 6'8 and had smaller wings who can't shoot and India beat them on both ends. It's just the difference in talent with guys like Jalalon orchestrating the offense. 54-31 Gilas.
            Indias team b is worsed.hehe.

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post

A basketball game is not only a single quarter. It's four quarters. We have bigs but are not as good as Lithuanian bigs. Now who's fault is that?

I don't care about what's happening behind the scenes. The point of the matter is that we need more size in this team if we want to be competitive globally. Every year it's like this. Every time Chot coaches the team, he always insists on having more small players and focusing the offense from the backcourt. We have a number of players with size but they are almost never present when we need them nor are they effective when inserted to the game. This is a warning sign when we face teams like China or Iran. I seem to recall Chot has yet to break his losing streak to the latter.

I've never been a fan of Chot's system but I support the team nonetheless.
              You are undermining your own argument by saying the bolded part. Who do you have in mind in lieu of the small players? How sure are you they would not end up like what you have stated, ineffective? How sure are you they would do better than the players that we have now. Are they willing and available in the first place? I remember one time, we have fielded dillinger and norwood at the backcourt at the same time, we went real big (can't recall the tourney though) but guess what?

Which system are you a fan of? Toroman's? Baldwin's? Did we regain Asian supremacy using their system? Are we significantly better running those? If yes, where's the championship/s to back that up?

Getting bigger players in every position is not a guarantee we'd have a winning team. You get some you lose some. As we get bigger, we get slower. Case in point, CBC and Belo are having a hard time playing the SF slot, this despite FEU evidently training their bigs to play the perimeter. Now, if you insist on having these bigger guys play one position down but would still end up shorter than their counterparts in top international competition, isn't that counter productive? Now not only you have a shorter guy (not by much, thanks to an added inch or two) but you have a considerably slower guy as well.

I mean, what coach would't want to have taller players in his roster? But the thing is, players like Junmar Fajardo, Gabe Norwood, Matthew WrIght and Japeth Aguilar doesn't grow on trees. These players that have ideal size for their position (in Filipino context, relative to international norm) are rare, you just have to acknowledge that fact.

Right now, we have a bunch of incoming taller players, and SBP is doing its best to develop them. You need to be patient. It's not like we are not making any progress. You just need to take a look at our placings in int'l competition in recent history and you can see what you failed to see. You only see the negative side of things. If we are indeed making the same mistakes over and over, we wouldn't have made it to the World Cup and we'd still be busy competing for 7th-9th place in Asian competitions.

We lose to a better team and you assume there is something wrong with this and with that. How about some reality check, like realizing we simply are the inferior team. You think you know better than Chot? There's a reason why he's a multi-titled coach and you're not. I am not by any means a Chot Reyes apologist. I criticize him too, esp his being short-fused. But you see, animosity reaps animosity.
              Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown Bones View Post
                If you do not care what is happening behind the scene when this team was build then it just goes to show how narrow minded your opinion is.
                No, it just shows how you resort to excuses instead tackling the problem head on. The team has some problems that need to be addressed if they want to be competitive against the likes of China, Iran, Oz, and NZ.
                GILAS WISHLIST:
                6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Well said. But to a narrow minded opinion he will not get it.

@interxavierxxx. Nah. In the first place I would not call you out if your criticism are constructive. Think about it. The players already said regardless of position they ( Lithuania ) can shoot and with skills to booth.

If you emphasize your opinion like improving ball movement or shooting skills etc. than just solely on insisting height alone most probably we will not having this conversation. I can count a couple of forumers here who over react everytime Gilas loses and you are included 😂

Anyway, you are a fan just like me so I guess there is really something good in that.

Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
                  You are undermining your own argument by saying the bolded part. Who do you have in mind in lieu of the small players? How sure are you they would not end up like what you have stated, ineffective? How sure are you they would do better than the players that we have now. Are they willing and available in the first place? I remember one time, we have fielded dillinger and norwood at the backcourt at the same time, we went real big (can't recall the tourney though) but guess what?

Which system are you a fan of? Toroman's? Baldwin's? Did we regain Asian supremacy using their system? Are we significantly better running those? If yes, where's the championship/s to back that up?

Getting bigger players in every position is not a guarantee we'd have a winning team. You get some you lose some. As we get bigger, we get slower. Case in point, CBC and Belo are having a hard time playing the SF slot, this despite FEU evidently training their bigs to play the perimeter. Now, if you insist on having these bigger guys play one position down but would still end up shorter than their counterparts in top international competition, isn't that counter productive? Now not only you have a shorter guy (not by much, thanks to an added inch or two) but you have a considerably slower guy as well.

I mean, what coach would't want to have taller players in his roster? But the thing is, players like Junmar Fajardo, Gabe Norwood, Matthew WrIght and Japeth Aguilar doesn't grow on trees. These players that have ideal size for their position (in Filipino context, relative to international norm) are rare, you just have to acknowledge that fact.

Right now, we have a bunch of incoming taller players, and SBP is doing its best to develop them. You need to be patient. It's not like we are not making any progress. You just need to take a look at our placings in int'l competition in recent history and you can see what you failed to see. You only see the negative side of things. If we are indeed making the same mistakes over and over, we wouldn't have made it to the World Cup and we'd still be busy competing for 7th-9th place in Asian competitions.

We lose to a better team and you assume there is something wrong with this and with that. How about some reality check, like realizing we simply are the inferior team. You think you know better than Chot? There's a reason why he's a multi-titled coach and you're not. I am not by any means a Chot Reyes apologist. I criticize him too, esp his being short-fused. But you see, animosity reaps animosity.

Comment

• Hur Jae must have watched the Gilas game, Korea having a 3 point clinic..
                    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• i think tim cone nt for a change doesnt mean chot is out, just another dimension, emphasis of tall forwards, eriobu, magat, mariano and the stretch 4's in pba like troy, kyle pascual, jwash over vosotros pessumal et. al..which is more defense oriented..

The semerads arent fiba eligible right?

Comment

• I would also love to see Coach Tim Cone at the helm. But is it feasible? He is under the SMC umbrella, to start with.
                        Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
                          I would also love to see Coach Tim Cone at the helm. But is it feasible? He is under the SMC umbrella, to start with.
                          yup we need smc's involvement in national team..

it might be a disastrous trip to lebanon because of pba har headedness..1 player per team (regardless youre cadet or not) is ridiculous..

Comment

• why isnt joseph eriobu the phoenix rep in gilas?

Comment

• Originally posted by NOiNU View Post
                              The size issue is not the back court but on the wings and front. While I'm not happy with our small point guards being a liability on defense, my beef with our point guards is mostly towards their passing. Only Kiefer has shown consistency in this area. Jalalon is a bit behind because of his erratic passes. Teams like Canada, Iraq, Lithuania, and probably Iran killed us on offensive rebounding and hurt us on the wings. You need players with size to prevent things like this from happening. Lessons learned from this tourney: we cannot afford to not have Junemar, Japeth, Troy, and perhaps Almazan on the lineup. Keep KP, Parks, Ferrer, and Gabe on the wings.

I'm not here arguing that we should replace Chot's system buddy. I'm here pointing out the things that are missing and what we need to work on in order to be a more competitive team. Just because I'm not a fan of DDO doesn't mean I want it removed from top to bottom. It's the system we have. It works in some areas but not on others. Those things that don't work, mainly interior offense, perimeter shooting, ball movement, half-court sets, etc. are areas we need to improve upon. That was my bloody point. I don't get why criticizing a system automatically means you are fully against it. Keep the DDO and augment it. That I have no problems with.

Of course, there's no guarantee but it's a must if we want to take the necessary steps forward. Having the right players with the right size is part of the solution which involves skill and execution. All of which are doable. Notice that I said skill, not athleticism. As you get bigger, you initially become slower --> Again, not permanent if you work and improve upon it. Just because there's a drawback, doesn't mean it can't be solved. I don't see how sticking to undersized SF's (6'3-6'4) and PF's (6'5-6'6) solves our front court and wing problems. Remember the France game? Guess which players we struggled to defend: Mickaël Gelabale (6'7) and Nando De Colo (6'5). That, my friend, is the difference between an undersized swingman and one with legit size. My point: we need more players with the right size outside the backcourt positions. the less undersized we are, the better.

CBC, at 6'5, is way too undersized to be a PF. He reminds me of a slightly taller Mac Baracael who completely disappeared from the face of the NT after 2011. Belo, 6'3, was very good during the FIBA Asia Challenge last year. The guy has the handles to be a SG and SF. That injury simply messed him up. I hope you're not insisting that he plays as a PF like CBC.

It doesn't excuse us from not developing the "rare" players we have into the right mold. Forcing our few tall players to be rocks under the basket doesn't help. By mistakes, I was referring to Chot's errors on utilizing our big men. The guy has a tendency to be over reliant on the back court and it cost us in most end game situations. You need to accept that Chot does not have any plays for our bigs other than grab rebounds. Very evident with the way he utilized Douthit and why CS initially struggled.

Losing to a "better" team does not entitle you to be free of criticisms. You discover your limitations and you work on it. Period.

LOL Nobody here is trying to unseat Chot as the head coach. I'm simply pointing out the flaws in his system. As I've said over and over, it's criticism and I don't need DDO dick riders to tell me I'm being too negative when I'm simply pointing out the obvious.
                              GILAS WISHLIST:
                              6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown Bones View Post
                                Well said. But to a narrow minded opinion he will not get it.

@interxavierxxx. Nah. In the first place I would not call you out if your criticism are constructive. Think about it. The players already said regardless of position they ( Lithuania ) can shoot and with skills to booth.

If you emphasize your opinion like improving ball movement or shooting skills etc. than just solely on insisting height alone most probably we will not having this conversation. I can count a couple of forumers here who over react everytime Gilas loses and you are included ��

Anyway, you are a fan just like me so I guess there is really something good in that.
                                I seem to recall pointing out our big men are too complacent staying near the shaded area instead of being mobile, taking perimeter shots, and dishing out assists not long ago as well as encouraging more players to have the skillsets of all positions from 1-5 regardless of how tall they are.

Filipino basketball is too rigid on the position, as if it defines a players abilities. You are 6'9 and play center --> doesn't excuse you from learning how to handle, shoot, slash, or pass.

Overreaction? Here I am still pointing out the flaws of the DDO even after a victory today.
                                GILAS WISHLIST:
                                6'8 Pingris

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information