• Greece (1/1)
    • Slovenia (1/1)
    • Serbia (0/2)

Group D
    • Belgium (2/0)
    • Russia (1/1)
    • Latvia (1/1)
    • Montenegro (0/2)
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

How did Greece beat out Slovenia to 3rd place? in grp C. They lost to them. I can answer it myself I think, points dif, that never makes sense to me when you can go head to head in simple ties.

Some more brief observations watching it;
    All teams seem evenly matched, no stand out team, perhaps Spain. And they got beat by the Czechs who were eliminated prior to the game. France are powerful though athletically, Russia are tall, Turkey play a tough organised team game. Belgium are the surprise so far. Even Serbia can win it I think still, despite horror show in grp stage. Looks wide open to me.

Zandalasini ITA and Olcay Cakir TUR have been stand out young players for me. I enjoyed watching them both. Womens basket has evolved in leaps and bounds over the years, I think it's legit. Fundamentals are sound, skill level is good, although you still see some open lay ups cocked up , far less so and hence much less frustrating, body strength and athleticism are the obvious difference elements compared to mens.

Refeering has been a problem for me a little, I think FIBA changed some rules before few days of competition? a lot more offensive fouls called and some strange calls in general, but maybe that's just me.

Also nice to see shorts have evolved from short shorts to silly baggy ghetto shorts now to somewhere sensible in between, at least in women's, yep enjoying them shorts

My predicts for P/Os for QFs:

Serbia v Latvia = SRB Latvia have a quality player or 2, wouldn't be a shock if they mug the Serbs, who have looked just not all there. They scrape through though maybe.

Italy v Hungary= ITA Italy looked dynamic and explosive in bursts, but they lack height and despite Zandalasini and Sottana(possibly) are somewhat short in Top quality, Hungary have the excellent Courtney Vandersloot if she is in your team you have a chance no matter how bad rest of team is, and i'll be honest here no idea about rest of Hngary team. Haven't fully watched them yet.

Russia v Greece = RUS Plucky Greeks might pull off a shock, Maltsi at 38, what a bitch!(in a very positive way i say that) really loved watching her she's just nuts, Russia just seems vulnerable to me, will fail somewhere along the line, but I see greeks running out of steam towards the end again.

Ukraine v Slovakia=UKR Ukraine is a sort of a dark horse, at least until the s/fs, Slovakia i have seen in 3 games, they lack quality ultimately, despite some positives about team. They were in a tough grp though.

Above are all sensible predicts by the form book, but I fully expect 1 surprise/ shock result possibly 2. Really fun to watch this competition, try a dip if you were put off before about the women's game, might be surprised.

Comment

Many surprises in today's qualification games, starting from the last match won by Greece over Russia, despite the heroics of U19 Vadeeva.

Italy rallied back edging Hungary by one, again led by young Zandalasini who is worth an All-Tournament selection. Didn't expect the wins of Slovakia and Latvia either.

It's quite a leveled tournament, anyone can win, maybe Spain still has a slight edge on the others.

Comment

Sensational stuff.

Lat 75 70 Srb
        Slv 82 68 Ukr
        Gre 62 58 Rus
        Ita 49 48 Hun

Latvia with their best player Babkina PG limping off in the 1st min of the game, still managed to find enough to turn over the defending champs. Great win. If Babkina is fit when they play Spain in QFs, well i wouldn't bet against them. Btw this girls is really good, was really looking forward to see her play, she clearly was carrying this injury into the game. Vitola a mobile C is another good player for them, Gunta Basko-Melnbarde (what a name) 37 yrs yet another veteran impressing here.

Greece utterly fantastic win over the Russian giants. Just sensational, they somehow managed to find a 14 point lead going to the 4t Q, yet still tried their darndest to try and grasp defeat from the jaws of victory XD but it came to the last seconds and just held on. Kaltsidou 34(age) and Maltsi 38 outstanding players for them whole tournament, Sotiriou also really impressed me, brilliant stuff. Turkey V Greece QF what a tie!

Slovakia great win for them, they came from a strong group and they competed for long periods with Turkey and Italy never looked out of depth, so no surprise for me this win. France in the QFs looks a bridge too far for them, but who knows, been that kind of tournement.

Italy scrape through against Hungary, a win is win and they play Belgium in the QFs They have to play a blinder to beat a vily and talented Belgian side.

I am having a blast following all this, never expected to enjoy it so much. Bring on TUR v GRE !!

Comment

Originally posted by avsar View Post
          I am having a blast following all this, never expected to enjoy it so much.
          never been a regular follower, but this time I actually enjoyed a couple games really much.
          Cecilia Zandalasini, what a player at 21yo.

Comment

I'll be honest I do try to follow the big comps only because Turkey has a top team, if only in the past few years. We have 2 or 3 really good talents also, Olcay Cakir, PG/G Pelin Bilgic PG/G, Tilbe Senyurek PF they have genuine ability, a step up from the triers and "good defenders" we usually produce, what I really like is their mentality, they have confidence and can just produce without over coming self produced mental angst and stresses, you being Turkish will know what i mean if having followed any sort of Turkish sports.
            I am also really liking the organisation and competence of the people who run the women's game, for example the transition from Nevriya Yilmaz era to a new generation has been very ably handled. We also luckily have a very good coach in Ekrem Memnun, i wish he had shout less though from the sides. Sorry just wanted to write a couple lines turned inot a ramble don't miss the Tur v Gre game!

Comment

Bel 79-66 Ita
              Italy were served up an XL serving of Belgian fries(they are not french) in the 1st teaser of QFs, Italians credit to them served some spicy Salami in return, unfortunately for them not enough of it. Game closer than the score suggests, Ita twice came back from sizeable deficits 12+, going into 4th they were only 2 behind. Belgium is carried by a trio, Meessemen c/pf 28/11/5, a special player athletic, quick, height, tons of skills, Mestdagh SG 19/1/8, Wauters 17/5/3, veteran somewhat a euroleague legend. never heard of Mestdagh before! Italy apart from the great Zandalasini 23 pts and Sottana 17 pts again not getting quite enough from rest of team. A worthy QF though, it can't all be crazy antics of the plucky underdogs.

Tur v Gre coming, Turkey I feel need their guards experience and smarts in this one, and not get caught up in the intangibles, play it smart and they will win it. Greece, surely must be looking at the gas tank, Kaltsidou and Maltsi real dangers though. Hollingsworth should win the match up under the basket against Spanou, who has been good for Greece in all credit. Shouldda wouldda, games are not won on paper though.

Comment

It's painful to watch female basketball...
                Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa yaşa;
                Adın yazılacak mücevher taşa.

Comment

I clearly know s**t about anything :/ about as wrong as one can get, I am not fussed nor getting heated over it, no skin off my nose, just embarrassed for these brainless wonders.

Congrats Greece, absolutely deserved, no fluke. Bye bye to the muppets in red.

Comment

Originally posted by avsar View Post
                    I clearly know s**t about anything :/ about as wrong as one can get, I am not fussed nor getting heated over it, no skin off my nose, just embarrassed for these brainless wonders.

Congrats Greece, absolutely deserved, no fluke. Bye bye to the muppets in red.
                    Hey, stay around! You were absolutely right about Cakir-Turgut, she is an exciting player!

Greece played as smart as their men teams' used to, and shot as well as GSW. Excellent execution with their veteran stars shining on request. Congrats to Greeks, well-deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by SaliH View Post
                      It's painful to watch female basketball...
                      Games have been quite fun. At times it's like seeing mens' basketball but with 8 or 9 guards on the court.

Comment

From what I've seen this has been a good Eurobasket. Competitive games, some upsets, and higher-scoring than it used to be.
                        Originally posted by Fedfan
                        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                        Originally posted by GuTO
                        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Wow Italy got robbed.
                          Originally posted by Fedfan
                          Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                          Originally posted by GuTO
                          refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Spain won it. by a big margin.

Top 3 teams (Spain-France-Belgium) looked way ahead of the rest of the bunch. and Spain miles ahead.

Comment

Spain is Euro champ clearly winning over France 71-55. Sancho Lyttle was outstanding for the winners with 19 pts (8/10 FG), 8 reb and 4 steals.

Besides host Spain, France, Belgium, Greece, Turkey and Latvia are qualified for 2018 WC.

All-Star Five:

Alba Torrens (ESP) and MVP
                              Evanthia Maltsi (GRE)
                              Cecilia Zandalasini (ITA)
                              Emma Meesseman (BEL)
                              Endy Miyem (FRA)

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information