Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the greatest Asian basketball player ever?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the greatest Asian basketball player ever?

Jovito Gonzales - A first greatest Philippine basketball player. He first to led dominant Philippine basketball team in 1910's-1920's Far Eastern Games. He bags 7 gold medals.

Luis "Lou" Salvador - A first Far Eastern deadly scorer. One of the most prolific offensive players in Philippine basketball history. Salvador played for the Philippines in several Far Eastern Games tournaments where, in 1923, he set an all-time record for the most points scored and the first world player by a Filipino in a single international game to reach a century mark with 116 points against China to lead the Philippines to the gold medal. That record remains unbroken to this day. He had 5 gold medals.

Ambrosio Padilla - One of the greatest Filipino basketball players of the pre-World War II era. He played for the Philippines in the Far Eastern Games before leading the country to a fifth place finish in the 1936 Olympic Games, the best finish by an Asian country in the history of the Summer Olympics men's basketball tournament.

Carlos "Caloy" Loyzaga - Carlos Loyzaga: Probably the greatest Filipino international basketball player of all time. He led the Philippines to four consecutive Asian Games gold medals and three Asian championship titles. His biggest achievement was leading the country to a third place finish and the bronze medal in the 1954 FIBA World Championship, the best finish by an Asian country in the history of the quadrennial tournament and no other Asian country until present to make in top 3. He was later named into the all-tournament Mythical Five selection after finishing third leading scorer of that year's tournament. He's the only Asian player into World Mythical Five selection.

Lauro Mumar - After the World War II, he played for the Philippines that finished 12th in the 1948 Olympic Games held at London, England, United Kingdom. He later went on to represent the country in two consecutive Asian Games and won two basketball gold medals in 1951 and 1954 respectively.
    He along with Caloy Loyzaga to lead the national team to the 1954 FIBA World Championship held at Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. The team finished third and captured the bronze medal, the best finish ever by the Philippines in the World Championships.

Shin Dong Pa - A first Korean deadliest scorer. He's the one of prolific offensive player in Korean basketball History. He averaging in scoring probably 30-40 more points a game. He led the South Korean basketball which won the FIBA Asia title in 1969.

Robert Jaworski Sr. - The world's oldest professional basketball player ever at the aged of 50 and arguably the Philippines's most popular basketball player of all time. He represented the country in numerous international tournaments and is one of the last surviving Filipino basketball players to play in the FIBA World Championship and the Summer Olympics. He won the gold in 1973 FIBA-Asia Championship. Also he was a playing coach in the PBA.

Ramon Fernandez - He was the youngest Philippine team player when he was 19 years old and when he turned 20 his team won in 1973 FIBA-Asia Championships in Manila. "The Franchise", "El Presidente" and "Don Ramon" during his playing days. Considered by experts to be the greatest Filipino basketball player of all time, Fernandez won four Most Valuable Player awards, a record 19 PBA championships (the equivalent of 6 championships in the NBA as the PBA runs three championships a year). His legendary jersey number was 10 though he would wear no. 19 from the time he played for Tanduay in 1985 until his retirement in 1994. Fernandez scored 18,996 points to finish as the PBA's all time scoring leader. He is also the PBA's all-time leader in rebounds, blocked shots and 2nd all time in assists and steals.

Ricardo Brown - He was the second Filipino-American player drafted in 1979 NBA Draft has 3rd round pick by Houston Rockets. In 1981, he played with coach Ron Jacobs team NCC squad in Jones Cup and he led the team which thrashing USA squad by 20point margin. He was dominated MVP plum in the PBA in 1985 probably ave. score by 30pts in a game.

Chip Engelland"Naturalize" - One of the prolific scorer and deadliest shooters in Asian basketball history. A Filipino naturalize player along with Jeff Moore, Dennis Still in Asian basketball history. He scored 42points and led the junior squad Philippines to beat USA which composed by future NBA stars 108-100 in 1985 Jones Cup.

Jeff Moore"Naturalize" - Another Filipino naturalize all-around player. He was the first naturalize player along with Dennis Still. He led the Philippine junior team won the gold in FIBA-Asia championships in 1985.

Samboy Lim - One of the best players ever to play for the Philippine national team. A prolific scorer he called a "Sky Walker", he represented the Philippines in the 1982 Asian Youth Championship and in the 1985-1986 FIBA Asia Championship won the gold. He was later named into the 1990 Asian Games Mythical Five selection. A highleaping and slashing Small Forward and he can shoot at the 3. He's the another all-around player.

Allan Caidic - Asia's most feared three-point shooter and arguably one of the greatest players ever to play for the Philippines internationally. He is a four-time veteran of the Asian Games (1986, 1990, 1994, 1998) and a two-time William Jones Cup champion (1985, 1998). Early in his career, Caidic played a major role for the Philippines in capturing the 1985 Southeast Asian Games and the 1985-1986 FIBA Asia Championship. He's the one highest scoring in PBA history was 79 points against Ginebra, 53 points in a half and then his team won a game. In 1994, he was the Asian Games basketball tournament's leading scorer and was named to the all-tournament Mythical Five selection. In 1998, he represented the country for the final time with the celebrated Philippine Centennial Team.

Song Ligang - A Chinese superstar who led China in FIBA-Asia title in 1987, 1989 and 1991 and Asian games in Beijing 1990 gold medalist. Who played in Olympics in 1988 and 1992, and World Championships in 1986 and 1990.

Yao Ming - A behemoth Chinese 7'5 center who drafted 1st overall pick in the NBA's Houston Rockets in 2002. He is the one of tallest best centers in Asia. He's the first Chinese to make in NBA All-Star because he more voted by worlds number 1 most populated Chinese fans. He averaging in NBA 20pts a game in his NBA career.
    Jovito Gonzales
    0%
    Luis "Lou" Salvador
    0%
    Ambrosio Padilla
    0%
    Carlos "Caloy" Loyzaga
    0%
    Lauro Mumar
    0%
    Shin Dong Pa
    0%
    Robert Jaworski Sr.
    0%
    Ramon Fernandez
    0%
    Ricardo Brown
    0%
    Chip Engelland
    0%
    Jeff Moore
    0%
    Samboy Lim
    0%
    Allan Caidic
    0%
    Song Ligang
    0%
    Yao Ming
    0%

The poll is expired.

Carlos Loyzaga ala Flash Elorde in Boxing and Yao ming ala Manny Pacquiao in boxing in terms of present and past
    Last edited by stuart; 08-20-2007, 04:14 PM.
    PRO DEO ET PATRIA (in the service of God and Country)

Comment

I got a feeling that this theread is biased, too much Filipinos on the list

for me it's Yao Ming, the magnitude of his achievements is so vast that it would take another one as big as him to overcome.
      It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
      I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

its khatib i dont care about the 1940s and 1950s ....this poll should be between khatib and yao

Comment

khatib or yao
          liban a la vie a la mort
          lebanon for the end
          lebnen lal mawt

Comment

Yao because he's the only one who's made a significant impact in the NBA, not only starting but making every All Star Game since he was a rookie.

Comment

This poll is pretty funny. Who are all these old Filipino guys? At least give some names since the 80's.

Fadi El Khatib - aka "The Tiger", Lebanon's leader in the late 90's to 00's; key reason to Lebanon's transformation to a power in Asia during that era; top 10 player in points, assists, steals in 2002 Indianapolis World Championship; invited by many NBA teams for tryouts, including a preseason contract in 2003 by L.A. Clippers, did not go due to a contract issue.

Hu WeiDong - China's top shooter in the 90's, nicknamed "Chinese Jordan". MVP of 1999 Asian Championship. Invited by a few NBA teams, including a 10 day contract by Orlando Magic in 2002, did not go due to an injury.

Wang ZhiZhi - First Asian player in the NBA, 1995 FIBA U19 Tournament All-Tournament team, Top 10 scorer in 2000 Olympics, won all CBA and national games title in China; lasted 5 seasons in the NBA.

Zhang WeiPing - MVP of Asian Championship in 1977 with an average of 32ppg; Top scorer in 1978 Manila World Championship with 25ppg (under the old romanized name W.P. Chang)

Hur Jae - Korea's leader in the 90's, nicknamed "Basketball Emperor", once scored 62 pts in 1990 World Championship, also a top player in assists and steals.
              aim low, score high

Comment

well i must add my two cents of positive criticism. i do by all means think this is a great thread. obviously from what others have already stated its heavily biased on filipino players when it encompasses the asian continent; i hope in the future more thought is given to our other forum members who may feel this is once again biased.

must mention other players from other countries who made impacts. and it doesnt have to nba NBA level, because only one is NBA material and that of course is yao ming.

speaking of yao ming, i voted for him. i think we all know why already, but since im not slepy i will type a bit more to explain my reasoning.

on and off the court he has had the most impact on the asian community by far in developing and making the sport popular. we are not talking about national/regional popularity of the game, yao ming has brought the sport up in the continent of asia and in the world. i mean when you think of an asian player in the olympics, in a level which can compete and rise above the standards of the world's toughest league, i think of yao ming.

charity work and his selfless personality to not only care for his teammates and family, but also to his country, the environment and those with disabilities, you are talking about a guy who has class and i truly honestly can say that as an asian-american i feel somewhat jealous that today the NBA has no one really close to yao ming in terms of charity impact. others out there of course have done many things to help society but with a clean slate record, not to many can match the humble giant.
                "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

By the names provided in the poll, Yao.
                  Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

i voted for yao for reasons that he's the only asian player that has been a power house in the NBA and in the world series to the level of the competition that we have seen lately

and why not the Filipino legends? well the level of competition compared today is quite different. today we've seen more countries that has stepped up in developing their national teams.
                    you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball
                      Wang ZhiZhi - First Asian player in the NBA, 1995 FIBA U19 Tournament All-Tournament team, Top 10 scorer in 2000 Olympics, won all CBA and national games title in China; lasted 5 seasons in the NBA.
                      rony seikaly was the first asian player in the nba

YAO and fadi are the best asian players

Comment

I can't believe you got this wrong man. WZZ was the first Chinese player in the NBA, whereas that Japanese player "Wat" Misaka was the first player of NBA descent in the NBA.

I could give some thought to Wat as one of the most influential Asian players because he was the first to break into the league, like Jackie Robinson was the first African-American in the MLB. Of course Asian players did not start "flowing" in to the NBA until WZZ got drafted, cause then following Yuta Tabuse, Ha Seung-Jin, Xue Yuyong, Yao, Yi Jianlian and Sun (not in order of course).

Comment

I think this is definitely a little Philippines-heavy. And no mention of El-Khatib or Wang Zhizhi?

Stuart
                          http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                          http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                          http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Yao is the greatest player, no "one of". Even you put Yao at the last and say that he is in all-star game is because the population of China...

Comment

for me it's yao ming. no doubt for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information