Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2017 U18 European Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    again I missed the most critical games (SF and 3rd place games), but I just wanted to share my opinion that this Turkish team was better than I anticipated.
    There a few promising guards here, not because they are very talented, but they showed significant improvement over their u16 days and they played the games with a correct attitude, imho. Akay & Hazer especially, who have been under the radar.
    Akay is very talented in my opinion, always have been, but he is an allaround pg, and specially a good pass first pg that is not usually the way of playings for point guards in Turkey, but he is talented in that style. He is a usual, i mean he have played lots of training and games, national team member. He has good attitude too.

Hazer, who did a great tournament, and have good physhical skills, sometimes misunderstand attiude with bad manners. He did an amazing performance on going to rim for layups..

Campara - Velicka - Martines - Miskovic - Atar

As for me there were more cool prospects in those "weaker" teams, I liked Sanon(Ukraine), Kralj(Slovenia), Simonović(Montenegro) etc.
    "Due to his elegance and imagination, Mirza Delibasic was one of the continent’s greatest ever players."

Quote Originally Posted by BiHBasket View Post
    Latvia ended as last. I belive they would have been more motivated to try hard if they didn't know they stay in division A in any case.

Estonia ended as third in division B but because of this they will not play in A next year, they have right to be mad.
    How come ?
    I do not really understand this .
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    How come ?
    I do not really understand this .
    Latvia was chosen for U18 EC 2018 hosts before U18 EC 2017 actually started. FIBA announced that hosts of tournament must actually play on that tournament so if Latvia ends in the bottom three, and that actually happened, they will still play in the division A in 2018 and just finalists of U18 EC 2017 division B will be promoted into the division A.

In normal circumstances winner of the third place match in division B also gets promotion, but bad lack Estonia.
    "Due to his elegance and imagination, Mirza Delibasic was one of the continent’s greatest ever players."

Well, I haven't seen a lot of group stage games (though I've seen some from the most powerful group in this tournament - the one which contained both finalists and the 5th place Italy) but this was an exciting tournament. There was no dominating team which cruised its way to a title and the quality was good enough for my tastes. I don't like this new system with 1/8 finals but that's another question, so let's not digress.

Russian team mildly dissapointed - after winning against Montenegro and giving a decent fight for the three quarters against superior Turkish team (maybe lacking Bitim even helped them to become a better team though I can't say the same about that heavy bruiser Ahmedkevi Duran), they lost the game against mediocre Germany all by themselves (in a very typical Russian manner). But in order to have realistic hopes to qualify for 1/4 we had to take the first place as all three teams from the Group B were far too much for us. Italy was the weakest but sadly even they had no problem with our team. Well, after that we've got good luck with the seeding since hosts was one of the most comfortable opponents at this stage. And then, happy that we won't be relegated, we even did an unthinkable thing winning two tense games (though these games became close just because of that infamous Russian choking). This year's Germany is just a decent/solid team unlike their last year's edition while Finland missed Valtonen (dunno for what reason) and overall it seems that this talented Finnish generation so far fails to live up to the promises lavishly given out after their decent run at the 2015 U-16. Yet these two are decent teams and the fact that we are still able to win against these assures us, Russian basketball fans, that we still haven't reached rock bottom in the ever-accelerating process of the Russian youth basketball degeneration. Talking about players, Ershov showed a very stupid and misguided shot selection and not enough of shooting prowess to settle for such shots he had taken. Shashkov, viewed as a top talent from this 99-00 born generation, failed to live up to the promise and I think that his transition to pros won't be smooth, so far he looks like a good talent who buries himself by his own wrong choices. Khomenko, despite being a choker and a turnover machine, left the most positive impression but he needs to improve his playmaking skills as he is undersized for a shoot-first combo guard (plus a streaky shooter also) but I also liked what I saw from Dmitri Khaldeev as he was the only one willing to mix in the paint fighting for rebounds (not that he was always successive with this but still), plus he added a decent Vince Carter-lite off-the glass shot which is an unorthodox and potentially effective offensive option for a big guy these days.

Of the teams which were better than us in this championship I liked Spain the most. But still Serbia's win was deserved through and through. Italy and France were the main disappointments. France has a lot of individual talent to go with one of the deepest squads (for example, their backcourt rotation was Blanc/Beyhurst - Briki/Choupas, definitely not a bad one) and while one can say that they were unlucky facing Spain in the quarterfinals I have a feeling that the teamplay of this French NT was subpar all tournament long. Italy scored an upset against Spain and annihilated our poor guys but the way they played against Lithuania in quarterfunals was abysmal - no passion, no will to fight, no proper defense and awful rebounding (Lithuanians systematically scored at will, without any defensive effort from the Italian side, on their second- or even third-time chances). And I didn't like the way Ebeling played in this tournament (and what's with the hunchbackness? Italians already have enough of it with Pascolo). BiH without Musa should be happy for a good draw in the 1/8 finals as they were playing against Slovenia which was eliminated later. Campara scored a lot (though he doesn't look like a proper floor general he promised to become) but Sikiras was a huge disappointment and neither Cerkezovic nor Jankovic (number 69, huh) showed any real improvement over their previous performances. Even with Musa, BiH played an awful torunament in the last year's WC U-17 and it's a pity that most probably they won't get a lot from what was previously viewed as one of their best generations. Velicka surprisingly sucked at shooting but still lead otherwise unremarkable Lithuania to the third place finish and quite a deserved one at that. Once again Lithuania had a proper coaching, decent teamplay and unrivalled will to fight, overcoming opponents which were more talented on paper. They even almost won against Serbia in the semis but in the end Serbia was too much for them. Velicka aside, I loved Sargiunas as he is a tough competitor, knows his strengths and limitations and plays smart - a very promising, useful player who makes his team better without shining in the statsheets. Also Kisiunas was tough and effective (but often dirty) in the rebounding battles.

Serbia's win was not a total surprise for me but still I thought that Spain would be a much more logical champion. But, as I've already said, I'm happy with the final result, specifically since Spain's coach once again allowed Miguel Gonzalez and Sergi Martinez to shoot as much as they like. And in the end it didn't pay off, especially for Gonzalez. Spain should play in a more team-oriented basketball. They had a very good roster but its strengths weren't used to the full potential. For example, both Parra (my absolutely favourite player from this Spanish squad, who looked not as overwight as he previousy was - yet in order to become a truly elite player he needs to improve in rebounding and sharing the ball - let's see how he will play for his real, 2000 born, team) and Ehigitor could easily be more focal points in Spanish offense. Didac Cuevas was the most pleasant surprise - he is so short, almost Beyhurst-like short, but nevertheless he scored some tough shots, showing nice range and clutch mentality, and he was the main facilitator of the Spanish offense. He looked very confident, even more so than he did a year ago for the Spanish U-16 team, for which he had a similar statistics but with much worse shooting percentages. Plus I was surprised that Didac consistently went to the paint and finished around the rim with almost Papaloukas-ish elegance. I hoped to see more from Raimon Carrasco though but he didn't have a lot of playing time and when he had, he was unremarkable at best. Cuevas totally outshined him as a main Spanish PG.

For the champions Miskovic was an unlikely revelation. He is too selfish and like so many other Misko's slaves in Megaleks Nikola has a tendency to trust his shooting skills way too much. But at the same time he has a very rare offensive arsenal for his SF/PF tweener position and he was often unstoppable for whoever tried to guard him. And since he was playing the best when it was needed the most Nikola totally deserved his MVP status. On the other hand, aside from him I can't even say that some Serbian player really impressed me. Pecarski was solid but still very far from that CoachZ-promised status of the Serbian basketball's future icon. Petrushev sucked and while three of the main guards (Vulikic, Uskokovic and Momirov) were decent, none of them did something really splendid. But Serbia played good as a team, concentrating on defensive intensity and proper organization of the offense. A deserved title, even if Spain was somewhat better during the whole tournament. But just like Miskovic, Serbia was better when it mattered the most.

Considering Sanon, I've heard that he is a nice guy, with a good sense of humour. But at the same time he has all the potential to become a head case. He plays in a really inferior competition (some Ukrainian junior leagues where he often scores something like 40 points), where no one can match his combination of speed, offensive skills and athletic abilities. So he doesn't understand his limitations and thinks too much about himself, plus so far he still has that streetball 'shoot first, think later' mentality which can hinder his successful transition to pro level (well, at least he can be a legitimately great 3x3 player though I suspect that it's hardly his blue dream). A huge enigma at this level as he has a very promising all-around potential but at the same time his perspective progress is very far from being a safe bet.
    2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
    Considering Sanon, I've heard that he is a nice guy, with a good sense of humour. But at the same time he has all the potential to become a head case. He plays in a really inferior competition (some Ukrainian junior leagues where he often scores something like 40 points), where no one can match his combination of speed, offensive skills and athletic abilities. So he doesn't understand his limitations and thinks too much about himself, plus so far he still has that streetball 'shoot first, think later' mentality which can hinder his successful transition to pro level (well, at least he can be a legitimately great 3x3 player though I suspect that it's hardly his blue dream). A huge enigma at this level as he has a very promising all-around potential but at the same time his perspective progress is very far from being a safe bet.
    from what I've seen of him in their first 3 games, Sanon is already a head case. but a very talented one. Tough job there on Ukrainian coaches' hands.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

We had similar opinions of the tournament Terror but please tell me where I said anything close to what you have written about Pecarski

He is just a very talented guy in the '00 age group. I never was very high on him. I don't like his softness, his attitude and shot selection. I really like Balsa Koprivica though, but he didn't play much.
    Gangbanga from Palanga!

I think Russian guy is the worst poster on these boards. He said Spain logically should be the champions lol, they played close game against us in the group stage , its not that they are that much better and talented than Serbian national team . He said Petrusev sucked at the tournament , which is not truth , with the limited role he had here , he was very good not to mention he had to wrestle probably 20 + year old African center in the Spanish uniform last night , next year he will be one of the leaders of the Serbian junior team , him Pecarski and Koprivica are all born in 2000 and that squad should be very good with the addition of Ilic, Paunovic , maybe Nakic,Pazin etc. that team could contend for the gold again next summer .
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Srle View Post
    I think Russian guy is the worst poster on these boards.
    My God, that's quite a distinction. You mean, absolutely worst, right? Shit, I'm happy that I'm impressed you that much, champ.

He said Spain logically should be the champions lol,
    Do you really think that Spain has literally no chance to become champions? I mean, I understand 'lol' if I was saying that Slovakia (or Finland or even my beloved Russia) logically should be the champions. But 'lolling' at Spain as possible champions? Ok, whatever makes you happy and joyous.

they played close game against us in the group stage , its not that they are that much better and talented than Serbian national team .
    I've never ever said that this Spanish team is much better and much more talented than this Serbian team. I've said that if the whole tournament is concerned Spain is the team which impressed me the most (yet I haven't seen their game against Ukraine where they were presumably at their worst). But Serbia had a really good tournament, they were better in crucial moments and, hence, they've got a really deserved title. Also all of the teams, including all semifinalists, had their ups and downs as it is (almost) always the case in tournaments of this type, especially in youth categories. Like France ended up as a major disappointment but if they won a very close game against Spain in the quarterfinals, I won't be surprised a little bit to see them in finals (where they certainly should lose to Serbia, because no one can beat this Serbian team, they are unstoppable, it was written that they were doomed to dominate and become champions).

He said Petrusev sucked at the tournament , which is not truth , with the limited role he had here , he was very good
    I haven't seen all the games of this Serbian team (including 1/4 finals game against BiH which was most probably his best - yet it was a blowout, so that doesn't say a lot) but from what I've seen Petrushev was unremarkable at best. Pecarski, who was also born in 2000 and who didn't have a really terrific tournament stat-wise, was totally outshining him among Serbian underaged bigs. You can say that Koprivica was never really given a chance to play a meaningful role for this team, so it's hard to guess how he would perform if Serbian coach trusted him more (yet I'm not too crazy about Balsa) but Petrusev was given his chances. And I don't see how he was very good in effectively using them.

not to mention he had to wrestle probably 20 + year old African center in the Spanish uniform last night
    You have some sort of an unhealthy obsession with Osas Ehigiator, that is this 'African' center's name. And, as far as I know, he was born in Sevilla and is a Fuenlabrada product, so if not for some racist shit I don't know what kind of problem do you have with him playing for his home country's national team.

CoachZ, you have posted way too much for me to have a realistic chance to quote you on this Pecarski topic Maybe, I even mixed some stuff up I liked Marko (maybe even more than when he shined for a highly disappointing Serbian team in the previous u-16 championship) and I think that he is a really promising player (though I suspect that his style is suited much more towards European style of basketball - which is totally fine for me, by the way, as I definitely prefer Pecarskis to Biyombos) but, having heard a lot of high praise sung for him, I expected a little bit more from him. Yet he definitely didn't left a sour impression on me and one of his best games was in finals, which is a thing I highly value.
    2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

Šamanić mvp of b division playing just 20 min. per game. We have good 2000. so he can be first to win a and b division mvp-s.
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345