Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's sit down for a minute and address Filipino basketball fans' rudeness online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    true. also, i don't like mixing basketball with politics.
    I'd like our sports stars/personalities to talk more on social issues. Can you imagine if we have a Popovich (who has bashed Trump many times before) among our sports "heroes"? Alas, we don't have real heroes. They are contented earning big money without care for the real problems.

So related to the topic in this thread: "Fans' rudeness" has direct correlation with what we are as a society and what is happening these days...
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
      2 different issues, but involves irresponsible use of our virtual platforms..
      Not the way sir durden worded it. It's true and I agree that it involves the irresponsible usage of social media by Filipinos, but I think it's not right to be talking politics in a basketball site, plus if you're talking social media usage, then it's not the government but the supporters, and it goes both ways. Walang inosente.

Comment

Originally posted by jasper222 View Post
        Not the way sir durden worded it. It's true and I agree that it involves the irresponsible usage of social media by Filipinos, but I think it's not right to be talking politics in a basketball site, plus if you're talking social media usage, then it's not the government but the supporters, and it goes both ways. Walang inosente.
        it just show how much we depend on virtual media nowadays, now it has been used as a political tool..
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
          I'd like our sports stars/personalities to talk more on social issues. Can you imagine if we have a Popovich (who has bashed Trump many times before) among our sports "heroes"? Alas, we don't have real heroes. They are contented earning big money without care for the real problems.

So related to the topic in this thread: "Fans' rudeness" has direct correlation with what we are as a society and what is happening these days...
          i am aware that trolls comes everywhere and is not exclusive to pinoys but man oh man, when you see a youtube stream or fb stream they come in batches and start bashing for no reason. i just feel embarrassed.
          The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

i take it you are against Popovich talking politics (it's not politics, it's social responsibility) on a basketball platform. But hey, if we want to be worried about online bashers and classless fans only, that's on us as a society i guess.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Filipino fans have always been rude even before the current self-depreciating administration came into power, but it increased hundredfold during the campaign period last year. But hey, if millions were fooled into believing fake news, the illusions of a madman, and would rather give up their morals to give a certain psychopath the chance to gain power, there's no way for us to "address" basketball fans' rudeness online. Unless if social media literacy becomes a thing in schools, there's really no way for us to move forward.

Heck, a lot of netizens online would rather believe and fight for their idols instead of acclaimed experts. Moreover, the country's #1 role model personifies the word "rude". This isn't just a basketball thing. It's a social issue. Since the current top brass is rude, then it'd be no surprise that most of the country is. Everything is related. Basketball fans' rudeness reflects what is happening in our society today.

A few of us here run a huge, 90k-subscriber basketball page and as much as possible, we try to NOT share foreign basketball-related FB groups and pages because hey, a bunch of Peenoises will swarm in like hungry fire ants and say how awesome Gilas is. It's really embarrassing. Moreover, we had a few run-ins with people of dissenting opinions and those who can't take an April Fools' joke XD
              Last edited by kaiziken_pinas; 05-23-2017, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                i take it you are against Popovich talking politics (it's not politics, it's social responsibility) on a basketball platform. But hey, if we want to be worried about online bashers and classless fans only, that's on us as a society i guess.
                I'm just against talking basketball and politics in the same vein. It's a sport where everyone enjoys either playing or watching. No black or white, no muslim or christian, Trump or Hilary, just better players vs worse. I'm against using the sport as an agenda for other things. Don't politicize the sport is what I'm saying. Not that we should only worry about online bashers and classless fans in basketball only. This is this and that is that. Just like the flat earth debacle. It's a humongous joke imo, but did it make Kyrie any better or worse as a player? No it didn't. All it did was give media mileage and flat earth truthers headaches.

Originally posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
                Filipino fans have always been rude even before the current self-depreciating administration came into power, but it increased hundredfold during the campaign period last year. But hey, if millions were fooled into believing fake news, the illusions of a madman, and would rather give up their morals to give a certain psychopath the chance to gain power, there's no way for us to "address" basketball fans' rudeness online. Unless if social media literacy becomes a thing in schools, there's really no way for us to move forward.

Heck, a lot of netizens online would rather believe and fight for their idols instead of acclaimed experts. Moreover, the country's #1 role model personifies the word "rude". This isn't just a basketball thing. It's a social issue. Since the current top brass is rude, then it'd be no surprise that most of the country is. Everything is related. Basketball fans' rudeness reflects what is happening in our society today.
                See, this is why I'm against it. If it was really because of one rude man that our countrymen are being rude online, how do you explain comments in videos from 2-3 years ago?
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Basketball Men's Team Semi Finals 1 Philippines vs Thailand Highlights on Day 9 of 28th SEA Games Singapore 2015 (14 June 2015)Subscribe to youtube.com/Singa...

Alam niyo yan? Conflating issues that are unrelated? Basketball is supposed to be a sport that we all love, walang pulitika. Regardless of race, belief, etc. Should the NBA ban Ilyasova and Asik for being Erdogan supporters, seeing as the US has a staunch anti-Erdogan foreign policy? Should we ban Kanter from the Philippines because he is a Gulen supporter and a cultist?
                Like sir reamily said, these are two different issues but involve the same thing. So then why talk about another issue instead of the topic?

I hope this is the last we speak of politics. I don't care if people in this thread want to be politically inclined or socially involved, all I'm saying that if you're a bigwig in Filipino basketball or at least admins in pages, then please use your influence to spread awareness about how rude we are online when it comes to basketball. To differentiate between banter and rudeness. Na wag isapuso lahat ng sinasabi online. Isn't that part of social media literacy?

Filipino fans have always been rude even before the current self-depreciating administration came into power,
                Ayan naman pala eh. So why bring politics into this, you know.

Comment

Pambihira please stop talking politics puro nga politics kahit saan hanggang dito ba naman? whats wrong with you guys? because of some stupid filipino fans igeneralized na natin lahat ng filipino? my god last time icheck filipino are known to be warm and friendliest. stupid post comes from everywhere. Again if you follow other sports football, boxing, MMA, etc lot's of stupid fans too not just pinoy. bat parang kapwa pinoy lang nakikita nyo? bringing down fellow is no good mas nakakasuka kayo.

Comment

I'm just against talking basketball and politics in the same vein. It's a sport where everyone enjoys either playing or watching. No black or white, no muslim or christian, Trump or Hilary, just better players vs worse. I'm against using the sport as an agenda for other things. Don't politicize the sport is what I'm saying. Not that we should only worry about online bashers and classless fans in basketball only. This is this and that is that. Just like the flat earth debacle. It's a humongous joke imo, but did it make Kyrie any better or worse as a player? No it didn't. All it did was give media mileage and flat earth truthers headaches.

See, this is why I'm against it. If it was really because of one rude man that our countrymen are being rude online, how do you explain comments in videos from 2-3 years ago?
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Basketball Men's Team Semi Finals 1 Philippines vs Thailand Highlights on Day 9 of 28th SEA Games Singapore 2015 (14 June 2015)Subscribe to youtube.com/Singa...

Alam niyo yan? Conflating issues that are unrelated? Basketball is supposed to be a sport that we all love, walang pulitika. Regardless of race, belief, etc. Should the NBA ban Ilyasova and Asik for being Erdogan supporters, seeing as the US has a staunch anti-Erdogan foreign policy? Should we ban Kanter from the Philippines because he is a Gulen supporter and a cultist?
                    Like sir reamily said, these are two different issues but involve the same thing. So then why talk about another issue instead of the topic?

I hope this is the last we speak of politics. I don't care if people in this thread want to be politically inclined or socially involved, all I'm saying that if you're a bigwig in Filipino basketball or at least admins in pages, then please use your influence to spread awareness about how rude we are online when it comes to basketball. To differentiate between banter and rudeness. Na wag isapuso lahat ng sinasabi online. Isn't that part of social media literacy?

All i am saying is that we have a responsibility to call out ANY bad thing in the world. Good if you want to start with the rude basketball/sports fans. And all i am saying too is that sports would have been a great platform for our sports stars to do something about these bad things in the world. Alas, again, we don't have sports personalities that has real bayag as a Greg Popovich.

As a long-time sports fan, that's sad. And disappointing.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

*sigh*

I'm bringing it in because it's relevant. When people in power are rude, people under them will be. If a father displays awful behavior, then there's a huge chance the son will be doing the same.

But then again, please do continue reading since my post isn't just about politics as you claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t55NxUW720
                      Pinoys have always been quite rude online even before the current admin came into power. I've said that earlier.

However, if you read the next sentence, I stated that "rudeness" became much more pronounced - or worse - since last year. Well, you wouldn't know, since:

Last I used facebook was 3 years ago. I'm just concerned because Mainbasket is an Indonesian sports publication and thousands of people like their Instagram posts.
                      Honestly, I'd know. I'm part of a large page and I could see how things changed. Let's just say Facebook's profanity filter helped.

Totally unrelated. I'm talking about societal norms, current events, and politics shaping people's behavior. They are being linked together and may be a catalyst explaining the boom in Filipino fans' rudeness online. The current Erdogan-Kanter-Asik-Gulen issue is purely political. Does it cover shaping societal norms and the populace's behavior? It only involves a political bigwig and several basketball players. Does it affect Turkish fans' rudeness online? Nope.

The issue we're discussing affects thousands - perhaps millions - of people. This isn't purely about a political strongman and a select few, but a whole administration influencing a populace's behavior.

This thread mainly covers social behavior, right? We can't talk about social behavior without influencing factors. With that said, what would those factors be? They can include the media, people in power, and of course, social influencers and personalities. You can't talk about social behavior without pinpointing an influence, aggravator, or a cause for that behavior. Unfortunately, politics and influential figures are part of this case's equation. If you want to address a behavior, pinpoint the underlying causes and influences first. You can't just march in blindly and preach politeness

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not solely blaming he-who-must-not-be-named for this. Ignorance is probably the biggest factor, which is why we need social media literacy in schools.

I've done my part in helping address this issue, and unfortunately, there will be no end to this in the short-term.

Comment

some people here are itching to discuss politics, even to a point where the rudeness of pinoys online is being correlated to the government. with all due respect, i get it and i respect your opinion but there is a proper thread for that, and this is not it, might as well create a new thread at Asia OT.
                        The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                          some people here are itching to discuss politics, even to a point where the rudeness of pinoys online is being correlated to the government. with all due respect, i get it and i respect your opinion but there is a proper thread for that, and this is not it, might as well create a new thread at Asia OT.
                          i admit that it's separate issues. But just pointing out the obvious that we have worse problems than fans' rudeness online. Back to regular programming-- all basketball

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

can someone close this thread?
                            "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information