The greatest player that never played in the NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
    I remember there was a dude Shea Cotton who was ranked in top 3 nationally in high school.... then for some reason (academic?) he couldn't even get into college, he lingered to China and was cut like after 15 games. Now that was in the late 1990s when Chinese imports were crap and teams generally don't even cut players.
    Good Schea Cotton article:

His memory is slightly faulty:
    “I started out playing with KK Partizan in Serbia, Vlade Divac’s team. I was out there for five months and made some good money,” Cotton recounts. “Playing in the EuroLeague against Maccabi Tel Aviv and Anthony Parker, giving them 18 and 7 in like 12 minutes and then not playing again for three games-who does that?”
    Actual boxscore:

I didn't realize his real first name was Vernon.

There was however, another Chinese import in 2005 or so called Lenny Cooke. He was considered one of the best HS players ever from NYC and certainly had a great showing against LeBron in ABCD camp.
    IIRC it was the other way around...LeBron first made his name by dominating Cooke, who was several years older. Cooke was 20 years old by the time he graduated high school.

Anyway, I don't think players who were highly touted at ages 16-18 but turned out to be nothing special by 21 are particularly notable. Certainly not in the context of this thread.
    Originally posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Originally posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Best player without NBA experience??? Difficult to say...

I watch Larry Ayuso... he is not team player at all but basketball is team sport... one day he scores everything but next take too many shots so practically kill his own team and NBA is all about team.

For me best player is for sure Oscar Schmidt, but Kreso Cosic would be my second place choice. I think that nobody can compare to Schmidt because of his great skills and strong will to maintain amateur no matter of money. That makes sport even better and that was good old times.
      NBA Teams

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
        I remember there was a dude Shea Cotton who was ranked in top 3 nationally in high school.... then for some reason (academic?) he couldn't even get into college, he lingered to China and was cut like after 15 games. Now that was in the late 1990s when Chinese imports were crap and teams generally don't even cut players.

There was however, another Chinese import in 2005 or so called Lenny Cooke. He was considered one of the best HS players ever from NYC and certainly had a great showing against LeBron in ABCD camp. He was putting up 40p/20r per game in China but it was also very obvious he couldn't win games cuz he lacked brain. It was a waste of talent. Of course he was a household name in Brooklyn I believe and everyone there still thinks he's better than LeBron, based on an ESPN special a few years back.

The 3rd Chinese import deserving mention was by the name of Lee Benson, he was from Dayton, Ohio and would have certainly been a first round pick had he not been arrested and served 8 years behind bars for something I don't remember. When he got out he was 29 and worked out for some NBA teams but didn't make it. I've watched Benson for 4 years and I know he would have made it had he been younger (and put some minds to defense). HBO even made a short documentary on him.
        I remember Schea Cotton very well. He was a big lefty, the only player I had ever seen that was California Player of the Year as a sophomore. He led Mater Dei high school (one of the Los Angeles powerhouse schools) to a state championship that year. He was a big, big time player. He gradually fell off the radar the next couple of years.

And I believe you were right, he had academic issues. I think.

Comment

K2, How old and how tall you are?

Comment

Originally posted by cardenales View Post
            K2, How old and how tall you are?
            emmm
            im.....26
            and my height is... 5'10" with a 40' vertical and a 6'8" wingspan
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ars111 View Post
              I watch Larry Ayuso... he is not team player at all but basketball is team sport... one day he scores everything but next take too many shots so practically kill his own team and NBA is all about team.

For me best player is for sure Oscar Schmidt, but Kreso Cosic would be my second place choice. I think that nobody can compare to Schmidt because of his great skills and strong will to maintain amateur no matter of money. That makes sport even better and that was good old times.
              guy wasn't even big factor in eurpe...how the hell he is on the list

tough i liked his free will basketball
              Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

I don't have a favourite, I just love to play

Comment

Originally posted by Saskibaloia View Post
                  Now who do you think is the greatest player that never played in the NBA?

Is it the high scoring Oscar Schmidt? or how about "White Magic" aka 6'9" point forward Dejan Bodiroga? or how about the Greatest Greek Mr. Galis?

For me it's the Brazilian.

yeah, may be... but my order is a little bit different

1.kicanovic
                  2.oscar
                  3.dalipagic
                  4.bodiroga
                  5.galis
                  6.belov
                  7.delibasic
                  8.riva
                  9.cosic
                  10.grbovic

Comment

Since you are mentioning Dalipagic and Delibasic, we have to mention Vilfan, too. Unfortunately, it was a mission impossible for a Yugoslav player to enter NBA back then...

Comment

For France, certainly Hervé Dubuisson. He was our only ever good sharp-shooter, and got close to play with the Nets in the mid-80s. he was considered before Petrovic or Schmitt at that moment.

After, i would consider Diamantidis, considering this era. He might not have the same highlights as Papaloukas considering one very special set of passing skills, but he is not so far, and has also any other aspect of the game. He was just too wise to try to play by his own, and played what his teams fully crowded with talents needed him to do.

For former player, considering their legends, definitely Bodiroga or Schmitt.

For older times, US players... Not enough knowledge.
                      It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Oscar Furlong
                        Originally posted by Fedfan
                        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                        Originally posted by GuTO
                        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by SHARP View Post
                          Anthony Parker
                          he did play in the nba, still does.

Comment

certainly not the greatest player never to play in the NBA,but i think that his name is worth being mentioned:
                            Fadi el Khatib.
                            El Khatib carried the lebanese NT on his shoulders and helped it qualify to the WC thrice,he also orchastrated the historic wins against France,Venezuala,Canada.
                            Khatib was and forever will be a daunting force,never was a international NT able to find a way to put a stop to this scoring machine.
                            Fadi el Khatib,he gave alot,he had the chance to play in top leagues in europe,he was even offered contracts by NBA teams,but he chose to play most of his career in Lebanon.
                            A Lebanese legend that's for sure,and one of the top players that ever came out of the yellow continent.

Comment

Oscar!

Comment

for me the best player to not make it to the NBA is beyond a doubt

earl the goat monroe

and international players-

odded katash- the isreali point guard had a great career and a chance to sign with NY knicks- but than the league went in to lock out so he went back 2 play in europe and sufferd a very bad injury

sad story
                                Last edited by rikhardur; 05-24-2011, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information