Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philippine Basketball Pictures/Photos (Past and Present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to remember that it was DENNIS (not Jeff) Still who was in the team. Yes, I agree #7 is Alfie Almario.

Wasn't Yves Dignadice in the team, too?

Comment

^^

I think #6 is Jun Tan while # 13 is the late Teddy Alfarero. Benjie Paras would have only been 12 or 13 years old when this picture was taken.

Comment

This is in response in helping identify players in NCC Team picture.
        (standing L-R) Jeff Moore, Jerry Codinera, Leoncio Tan, *Yves Dignadice?, Alfredo Almario, Dennis Still, Jong Uichico, Allan Caidic, Louis Brill?
        (on the floor L-R) Chip Engelland, Peter Aguilar?, Teddy Alfarero? *Samboy Lim, Franz Pumaren, Tonichi Yturri, Elmer Reyes, and Hector Calma.

with* before the name - surely does not look like them, however, Samboy
        and Yves were on the team, but absent the picture.
        with ? after the name - not 100% certain, but can be reliable.

Comment

so that's how they looked liked when they were kids.LOL

tnx for the info guys, I wasn't born yet in '84.
          It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
          I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Northern Consolidated

Originally posted by saints13

Northern Consolidated Team - proposed guest team in PBA 1984
            w/ two Naturalized Filipinos Jeff Moore and Arthur Engelland and an import Jeff Still
            Seated:
            Arthur "Chip" Engelland
            Peter Aguilar
            Teddy Alfarero
            Gerardo "Bong" Ramos
            Franz Pumaren
            Jose Antonio "Tonichi" Yturri
            Elmer Reyes
            Hector Calma

Standing:
            Jeffrey Moore
            Jerry Codinera
            Leoncio "Jun" Tan
            Reynaldo "Rey" Cuenco
            Alfredo "Alfie" Almario
            Dennis Still
            Joseph "Jong" Uichico
            Allan Caidic
            Luis "Louie" Brill
            Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
            Servinio's Blog of Sports
            Servinio's Official YouTube channel
            Servinio's Official TWITTER account
            Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

The 1972 RP bball team to Munich, as I remember.

CENTERS:
              Big Boy Reynoso
              Marte Samson

FORWARDS:
              Jimmy Mariano
              Manny Paner
              Bogs Adornado
              Joy Cleofas
              Narciso Bernardo

GUARDS:
              Freddie Webb
              Yoyong Martirez
              Jesse Sullano
              Ed Ocampo
              Bong Melencio

In our game against the USSR...as the game went on radio, after a prolonged tech difficulty, we found our team only down 4 points approaching the half at 48-44, . We were all jubillant for awhile there, until recap of the first half stats indicated that bigs, Reynoso 6'21/2", Samson 6'01/2", Paner 6'2", and Mariano 6'4", all had four fouls each. The second half found our team unable to cope and lost by a big margin. However, losing 20 point plus to USSR, the eventual champ is by no means a disgrace.

The only game I saw on TV, was the one against Japan, where we won mainly through Bogs Adornado. Japan simply cannot stop him. Adornado used the "fake" (a new move then) followed by a flawless jumper to max. Big Boy Reynoso controlled the paint and our guards controlled the game. Cleofas and Melencio somewhat neutralized Masatomo Taniguchi and Webb and Martirez negated Sigeaki Abe's playmaking.

Comment

I'm sorry, bro, but as I posted in another thread, Big Boy Reynoso (and Robert Jaworski) were not in the NT that went to the 1972 Munich Olympics... as they were, then, serving a 'lifetime" ban for mauling a referee (Jose Osias?) during a Meralco-Crispa game in the old MICAA. The ban was, eventually, lifted and the two players were included in the 1973 NT that won the ABC and went on to the Tehran Asian Games and the 1974 World Championship... just before the PBA was born in 1975.

Also, Jesse Sullano was not in the 1972 team. The 2 players that should be in your list are forwards, Jun Papa and Danny Florencio. If I recall correctly, Manny Paner played center.

Comment

Raymond Townsend

A Fil-am NBA player.

was offered to play in the RP NT together with Ricardo Brown after his NBA stint but it didn't materialized.
                  I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Saint13 thanks for the pics bro!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by saints13

from upper left: Billy Ray Bates of Crispa - Best Import Awardee, Terry Saldaña of Toyota - Most Improved Player, Norman Black of Great Taste - Mr. 100% Awardee
                      A slight correction. While Terry Saldaña did play for Toyota (as a rookie in 1982), he won the Most Improved Player award as a member of Gilbey's Gin (in 1983). He would later be reunited (in 1984) with Robert Jaworski and Francis Arnaiz in the Toyota lineup.
                      Fear leads to Anger.
                      Anger leads to Hate.
                      Hate leads to suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by donmar
                        Saint13 thanks for the pics bro!!!!
                        no problem bro
                        It would be educational for people like us who were not alive during those times to relive such moments thru pictures..
                        and a joy for those who were alive back then, remembering their youth as they look back to those pictures..

Originally posted by KobeWanKenobi
                        A slight correction. While Terry Saldaña did play for Toyota (as a rookie in 1982), he won the Most Improved Player award as a member of Gilbey's Gin (in 1983). He would later be reunited (in 1984) with Robert Jaworski and Francis Arnaiz in the Toyota lineup.
                        thanks for the correction sir!

I wish, the PBA would show some classic games on ABC 5.

Comment

The Big J Robert "Sonny" Jaworski winning the MVP Award in 1978
                          SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

Originally posted by bolabasket
                            The Big J Robert "Sonny" Jaworski winning the MVP Award in 1978

Jaworski: "O, mga repapips, celebrate tayo, blow out ko kayo sa Coco Banana, disco tayo ala John Travolta!"

Legaspi: WOW PARE!
                            Bulaong: HANEP!
                            Florencio: BONGGA!

Comment

ayos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO BAD...

Comment

Bongga? You mean bad... si florencio? LOL. Im just jokin. Nice idea there. Those who will post next will need to put captions.
                                Please visit -->THE IGNORED GENIUS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information