Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These Fiba Asian Championships Are Junk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saints13
    if having half-breds is a crime..then RP NT is guilty..LOLZ

well I guess the flames already died down on this thread..
    Are you singing or what?? Blue FANatic
    Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

Comment

Well, no, I never said having half-breeds on different countries' National Teams is a crime or was wrong. That would be racist, and I don't want to be racist to anyone here. What I meant was that, at least FIBA should attempt to make sure that the half-breeds or interracially mixed players on different countries' national teams grew up in the country on whose national teams they are in, that way then, they can be said to be that country's native bred son, and not merely an addition that they added to that country's national team to win. Like I think that maybe, that FIBA should have a rule stating that an interracially mixed player should at least have lived in the country whose national team that he is playing on as an adult for 15 years or something before they moved to another country to live before they can play on their original country's national team. Or, if you prefer, maybe the age range should be even younger to allow even more players to play for their countries' national teams than would ordinarily be allowed using the 15 year rule, like 12 years or something. That would at least guarantee that the athlete at least grew up in the country whose national team they are competing for, and truly represents their country, instead of just being added on to the team in order to help them to win. I think that even if FIBA had a rule like this, there would be at least some interracially mixed players who would be able to play on their country's national team in any sport, and that they would still be able to represent their country in that sport on that country's national team, and that interracially mixed players would still not be left out of FIBA's basketball competitions. Sofoklis Schortsanitis, or "Baby Shaq", as he is called, is a good example of this, where he is an interracially mixed player from a white father and a black mother, but grew up in Greece, and plays on their national team.

I believe that even if FIBA invents and enforces something like the rule mentioned above, that interracially mixed children would still be able to make their countries' national teams in a variety of sports, which of course, I think that they should be allowed to do.

Comment

I was just kidding, nothing serious about my post
        It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
        I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

looks like leroy felt the pressure that leb might give china a run for its money next championship dt worry leroy if china is a dominant country in asia than 1 player shouldnt make a difference(vogel) if china has 1 billion people and lebanon just 4 million......btw im thinking now china has 1 billion people and their 2nd team lost in the 1st round...and at the world stage they are hightly dependant on Yao Ming....they are not good at all compared to their population .....

Comment

Originally posted by karim
            looks like leroy felt the pressure that leb might give china a run for its money next championship dt worry leroy if china is a dominant country in asia than 1 player shouldnt make a difference(vogel) if china has 1 billion people and lebanon just 4 million......btw im thinking now china has 1 billion people and their 2nd team lost in the 1st round...and at the world stage they are hightly dependant on Yao Ming....they are not good at all compared to their population .....
            Uh, well...not quite Karim. It is not China that I am thinking about, but Korea. I was trying to figure out why Korea, which used to do well in basketball in Asia, and used to be consistently 2nd or 3rd in Asia, now is only 3rd or maybe even 4th in Asia, and why countries like Lebanon are now doing well in the FIBA-ASIA Championships when they did worse before, and then I stumbled upon it: Joe Vogel.

Joe Vogel has been a part of the Lebanese team for several years, and the Lebanese team has been doing consistently well, coming in 2nd in most Asian basketball competitions in the last several years when he is on the team. He definitely tips the balance of the scales in Lebanon's favor, as evidenced by his 18 point, 15 rebound (game high), 1 steal performance, in the FIBA-ASIA Championships semi-final. Lebanon only won by 2 points, so they barely squeaked by Korea. And as Yao Ming shows on the Chinese National Team, one player can definitely make a big difference on a basketball team, as Lebron James also shows in getting his team to the NBA Finals. I think that without Joe Vogel, Lebanon might not have won the semi-final and Korea might have won instead. That may or may not be true, but then I think that they should replay the match without their imports this time--Lebanon without Joe Vogel, and South Korea without Daniel Sandrin, and then that would erase all doubt. That is also why I say, that rankings are junk, because using certain tricks like importing good naturalized players certain countries can win more games in international competitions and vault their countries ranking way higher than they really deserve, even more than the native sons of their own people of the country really deserve. China's FIBA ranking may even be lower than they really deserve.

My point is not to prove that South Korea is a greater country than Lebanon, or even that Lebanon is a greater country than South Korea. I believe that they are all equal regardless of who wins or loses in basketball, but to prove the verse in the Bible that says, "The battle does not go to the strong, nor the race to the swift".

Rankings are just junk, they are meaningless, but if you choose to rank countries as superior or inferior by having competitions, then you must do it in a fair way, and not include naturalized players that were born in America. Some Iranians are complaining in the FIBA news reports of Lebanon's semi-final victory over Korea in the comments section even before Lebanon's final match against Iran that Lebanon has American players on their team and are not pure-blooded Persians as the Iranians are claiming that their country's basketball team is. As long as you have this loophole in the FIBA rules, then if you win over people, people will always be suspicious of your victory and claim that it is not genuine. And so I believe that FIBA should close this loophole, and let only players born and bred in their native land compete on their national basketball teams so that they can truly represent their country.

Comment

man, I have an issue calling peole half-breeds. it does'nt sound good. its not right. it sounds like like your talking about an animal. they're real people. its not their fault they were born that way. have a heart bro

Comment

Originally posted by budz17
                man, I have an issue calling peole half-breeds. it does'nt sound good. its not right. it sounds like like your talking about an animal. they're real people. its not their fault they were born that way. have a heart bro
                Yeah, I agree. That's why I stopped calling them that and changed it to interracially mixed, because I realized that if any interracially mixed children read this, then they might be very offended by what I said, and get mad at me, so I changed what I was calling them to interracially mixed so I wouldn't offend them.

Comment

if FIBA allows a country to use naturalized players, then so be it. no use crying about something you have no control of. if fiba allows countries to use players with dual citizenship, then so be it. these people are subject to the laws of countries they are playing for. my understanding is, if you are naturalized, tyhen you renouce your former citzenship. so if rasheim wright is naturalized, he is no longer american. he is jordanian.

yes, its true, it takes away something from the joy if your team wins with naturalized players. its up to those countries if they can accept that kind of a win. no need to blast fiba about it and call this FIBA Asia championships junk.

but blast fiba for giving asia only 1 slot in olympics, that's the real junk.

Comment

I am also against the rule of naturalizing but I think some other countries with small populations really needs it, so be it. And Karim pls don't brag too much and say China is just about Yao Ming coz obviously its not. What about you, your Fadi El-Khatib super rangers team?

Comment

but blast fiba for giving asia only 1 slot in olympics, that's the real junk.
                      It has only one slot because it deserves only one slot. You look at the FIBA rankings and you see only one Asian team in the top 12. The Olympics only accepts 12 teams.

Comment

is Daniel Sandrin a naturalized player, I thought he was a half Korean? I think Korea would have naturalized a taller, more agile and has more upper body strength that can support Ha under the boards.
                        ________
                        Nikol
                        Last edited by b3lowzro; 04-27-2011, 12:35 AM.
                        you know why I am happy

Comment

sourgraping?
                          I'm Living Life in the Fastlane

Comment

The Asian Championship is not junk because of the naturalized players. If you are good then you should overcome naturalized players and half-breeds. China's A team have no problem with it.

But the Asian Championships is junk because of the weakness of the competition and that includes China itself. LOL

China is therefore right to train the A team in the Stankovic Cup. It doesn't do China or Asia any good for Yao, Yi, Wang, Sun and the rest of the A team to play in the Asian Championships.

Why? Because in order for Asia to gain any more slots, Asians have to start winning against teams from other continents. This is why Lebanon is the second strongest team in Asia by far. It has won against outsiders in the WBC, including France and Venezuela.

Comment

does half-bred sounds animalistic? oh, I'm sorry for the term, but I don't see anything foul about it though.
                              It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
                              I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

yeah , it kinda like cheating ,but on the other hand its in the rules.

IMO,i think it's alright as long as they dont naturalize Kobe

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information