Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: FIBA "AmeriCup" 2017

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,945
    Country: United States

    Default FIBA "AmeriCup" 2017

    Tournament has been expanded to 12 teams and shortened--it will be three groups of four, followed by semifinals and finals. Groups will be played in Medeillin, Montevideo, and Bahia Blanca, with the semis and finals in Cordoba (Argentina). Argies will automatically qualify for the semis as hosts. USA is listed as a participant, no idea what sort of team they'll send.
    http://www.insidethegames.biz/articl...-americup-2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  2. #2
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    285
    Country: United States

    Default

    Canada and the USA have auto bids but the USA has opted out every time since 2009

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    303
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    Canada and the USA have auto bids but the USA has opted out every time since 2009
    Not a peep about this in Canada.
    I have no idea if we'll try to field a real national team as preparation for the first World Cup Qualification games (1st round is Nov. 20-28 2017) or send a young Junior/"B"/"C" team just get some FIBA experience.


    I would have to assume this would be a good prep opportunity for the full national teams.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    303
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

    Top three teams from the 2015 FIBA Americas in the same pool? Interesting. Not that it matters.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    285
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Not a peep about this in Canada.
    I have no idea if we'll try to field a real national team as preparation for the first World Cup Qualification games (1st round is Nov. 20-28 2017) or send a young Junior/"B"/"C" team just get some FIBA experience.


    I would have to assume this would be a good prep opportunity for the full national teams.
    Canada will probably send whom ever is willing. It is really weird that outside of a tweet today, USA basketball has been pretty silent about it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    303
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    Canada will probably send whom ever is willing. It is really weird that outside of a tweet today, USA basketball has been pretty silent about it.
    I can easily see Canada using this a pre-requisite for the Qualification team. Or at least try to get most of the group together. It would be nice to see the better non-NBA guys there.

    I would say 99% of USA basketball fans have no idea of the new qualification process. Or even care at this point.
    They will soon be surprised that the USA needs to play in qualification games for the WC (as opposed to directly qualifying by winning the Olympics) and without NBA players.

    I am sure USA Basketball has some sort of plan in place. A D-league allstar team would be good enough to qualify through the first round at least. The 2nd round? Probably but who knows?

    This AmeriCup really doesn't have much value though other than a training session of sorts.


    I think the best Canada could hope for with the first WC Qualification window in November is something like:

    K. Pangos, O Hanlan
    P. Scrubb, Brady Heslip
    Aaron Doornekamp, T. Scrubb
    Melvin Ejim, Kyle Wiltjer, Anthony Bennett
    Khem Birch, Robert Sacre
    Last edited by mojo13; 04-20-2017 at 11:22 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    285
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    I can easily see Canada using this a pre-requisite for the Qualification team. Or at least try to get most of the group together. It would be nice to see the better non-NBA guys there.

    I would say 99% of USA basketball fans have no idea of the new qualification process. Or even care at this point.
    They will soon be surprised that the USA needs to play in qualification games for the WC (as opposed to directly qualifying by winning the Olympics) and without NBA players.

    I am sure USA Basketball has some sort of plan in place. A D-league allstar team would be good enough to qualify through the first round at least. The 2nd round? Probably but who knows?

    This AmeriCup really doesn't have much value though other than a training session of sorts.


    I think the best Canada could hope for with the first WC Qualification window in November is something like:

    K. Pangos, O Hanlan
    P. Scrubb, Brady Heslip
    Aaron Doornekamp, T. Scrubb
    Melvin Ejim, Kyle Wiltjer, Anthony Bennett
    Khem Birch, Robert Sacre
    Idk USA Basketball tweets about everything. I didn't even know they were in the event until I saw it in this forum. I openly hope they send a team of players from non playoff teams this year. Beyond that they'll have to send D-League teams.

  9. #9
    Senior Member tres equis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    196
    Country: Puerto Rico

    Default

    This Americup is supposedly a qualification tournament for the Panamerican Games, i think 7 teams qualify.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    4,737

    Default

    USA Basketball made yesterday official announcement:
    https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...icup-draw.aspx

    Top three finishing teams and Argentina will advance to sf.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,945
    Country: United States

    Default

    For the US I liked the idea of sending a single D-League team to the qualifiers during the NBA season. With limited preparation time there will be a big advantage in having guys who already play together.

    Really curious to see what other Americas teams are able to assemble for the qualifiers, especially Canada where a lot of the guys who play the qualifiers would be pushed aside for NBA players if they actually make it to the World Cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  12. #12
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,411
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    I can easily see Canada using this a pre-requisite for the Qualification team. Or at least try to get most of the group together. It would be nice to see the better non-NBA guys there.

    I would say 99% of USA basketball fans have no idea of the new qualification process. Or even care at this point.
    They will soon be surprised that the USA needs to play in qualification games for the WC (as opposed to directly qualifying by winning the Olympics) and without NBA players.

    I am sure USA Basketball has some sort of plan in place. A D-league allstar team would be good enough to qualify through the first round at least. The 2nd round? Probably but who knows?

    This AmeriCup really doesn't have much value though other than a training session of sorts.


    I think the best Canada could hope for with the first WC Qualification window in November is something like:

    K. Pangos, O Hanlan
    P. Scrubb, Brady Heslip
    Aaron Doornekamp, T. Scrubb
    Melvin Ejim, Kyle Wiltjer, Anthony Bennett
    Khem Birch, Robert Sacre
    Euroleague might not let their players to play too, so far no agreement between them and FIBA, so Euroleague, Eurocup players might be left out aswell


  13. #13
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    285
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Euroleague might not let their players to play too, so far no agreement between them and FIBA, so Euroleague, Eurocup players might be left out aswell
    I totally get what FIBA was trying to do but they took the long way round.
    They could have made every event every four years and give teams a break after the Olympics instead of that stupid schedule in the middle of seasons.

  14. #14
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,411
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    I totally get what FIBA was trying to do but they took the long way round.
    They could have made every event every four years and give teams a break after the Olympics instead of that stupid schedule in the middle of seasons.
    Indeed. FIBA was desperate to increase World Champs level, cause it went down drastically, not much players cared about it, for that they even changed the name of competition to look more like FIFA World Cup. But that wasn't a bad move, they made some other, just liek you wrote - schedule is most obvious. Thnx god that atleast they understood and listened to players opinion, that Olympics is the main event and made WC only as qualifiers to it. Otherwise who knows what would have happened, we could even lose only international event where all the bigest starts comes to compete


  15. #15
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    285
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Indeed. FIBA was desperate to increase World Champs level, cause it went down drastically, not much players cared about it, for that they even changed the name of competition to look more like FIFA World Cup. But that wasn't a bad move, they made some other, just liek you wrote - schedule is most obvious. Thnx god that atleast they understood and listened to players opinion, that Olympics is the main event and made WC only as qualifiers to it. Otherwise who knows what would have happened, we could even lose only international event where all the bigest starts comes to compete
    I mean the ultimate issue is that most players were playing every summer in the previous format. The better teams had no time off. When only two teams has spots for the next big event and one team has a monopoly on one of those spots it makes it hard. This is especially true of the NBA players. Hard to justify playing in both Eurobasket and the Olympics if you have to do the additional QT as well and them do it again the next year.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    303
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Euroleague might not let their players to play too, so far no agreement between them and FIBA, so Euroleague, Eurocup players might be left out aswell
    It was announced by Jordi a few months ago that EuroLeague and EuroCup players would be allowed to play.

    Did something change recently?

  17. #17
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,411
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    It was announced by Jordi a few months ago that EuroLeague and EuroCup players would be allowed to play.

    Did something change recently?
    About a week ago, after another shareholders meeting, Zalgiris GM said that EL is undecided what to do, no decision yet, most likely it be made only on July, when schedule for next season will be confirmed, but so far it looks unlikely that there'll be any agreement with FIBA


  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    303
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    About a week ago, after another shareholders meeting, Zalgiris GM said that EL is undecided what to do, no decision yet, most likely it be made only on July, when schedule for next season will be confirmed, but so far it looks unlikely that there'll be any agreement with FIBA
    This is a mess. FIBA has their heads up their ass per usual. I was talking to someone on another thread (who is usually reliable) and he said he saw an interview with a FIBA official who said the USA would not be without NBA players as they can schedule all their games in the summer windows if they want. Is that true? Who knows... it seems no one knows anything solid.

  19. #19
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,411
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    This is a mess. FIBA has their heads up their ass per usual. I was talking to someone on another thread (who is usually reliable) and he said he saw an interview with a FIBA official who said the USA would not be without NBA players as they can schedule all their games in the summer windows if they want. Is that true? Who knows... it seems no one knows anything solid.
    I guess even FIBA and ULEB have no idea what will happen. Funny thing that lately France, Turkey, Italy clubs stated that starting from next season, they will go back under ULEB wing. So ULEB will have basically all the best clubs in its tournaments with majority of best players. I just can't imagine who will play for NTs if there'll be no agreement


  20. #20
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    285
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    This is a mess. FIBA has their heads up their ass per usual. I was talking to someone on another thread (who is usually reliable) and he said he saw an interview with a FIBA official who said the USA would not be without NBA players as they can schedule all their games in the summer windows if they want. Is that true? Who knows... it seems no one knows anything solid.
    I really hope this is true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •