FIBA "AmeriCup" 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
    The weirdest part about this is not even the statement from USAB mentions the Americup. They simply mention the qualifiers for the World Cup.
    Not wierd at all considering this tournament is now completely irrelevant. They might send a YMCA team to compete. Unlike Eurobasket which has a storied history this tournament with no qualifying births at stake won't be able to sustain itself and will eventually disappear completely.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

The weirdest part about this is not even the statement from USAB mentions the Americup. They simply mention the qualifiers for the World Cup.
      I don't even think it is that people don't care about FIBA in America, I think most people actively dislike it.

All of these FIBA changes will be fun for people in Asia and Africa, but major basketball nations don't give a shit at all. Americup? Who cares. I'm sure there will be some NBA players but no pressure for any top stars to play. Probably younger players or fringe bench guys wanting to make an impression. It will be similar to the Pan American games. And these qualification games? Dleague guys in small venues, representing America? If they just beat smaller nations and do their job no one will care. If they start losing games then there could be issues. Overall though, it is a decision FIBA made to benefit other coutnries interests and not America, Spain, France or any other country that relies on NBA players. This whole new move is even tied into the whole Euroleague vs Champions league mess. FIBA is making a power play, let's see what happens if the USA, Spain or France or another top team don't qualify. It'll look like a joke of a tournament.
      We The North

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
        Not wierd at all considering this tournament is now completely irrelevant. They might send a YMCA team to compete. Unlike Eurobasket which has a storied history this tournament with no qualifying births at stake won't be able to sustain itself and will eventually disappear completely.
        That's only partially true. The Division A teams are those who participate. So if you don't go them you can't make it to the World Cup. What's weird is they still haven't said anything about who they are sending. If it was D league players they could just announce it now. Why wait? It's not like they weren't aware they couldn't skip it anymore. It's a weird omission.

Comment

Originally posted by locdogjr View Post
          I don't even think it is that people don't care about FIBA in America, I think most people actively dislike it.

All of these FIBA changes will be fun for people in Asia and Africa, but major basketball nations don't give a shit at all. Americup? Who cares. I'm sure there will be some NBA players but no pressure for any top stars to play. Probably younger players or fringe bench guys wanting to make an impression. It will be similar to the Pan American games. And these qualification games? Dleague guys in small venues, representing America? If they just beat smaller nations and do their job no one will care. If they start losing games then there could be issues. Overall though, it is a decision FIBA made to benefit other coutnries interests and not America, Spain, France or any other country that relies on NBA players. This whole new move is even tied into the whole Euroleague vs Champions league mess. FIBA is making a power play, let's see what happens if the USA, Spain or France or another top team don't qualify. It'll look like a joke of a tournament.
          That's an interesting perspective but I don't agree. This was done with the idea of not having events every summer. The problem is that the solution was simple and they took a long road to travel 4 feet. Top teams miss events all the time by the way. The only reason it benefits some countries is because they don't have big name players. Those teams also happen to not be all that good.

Comment

That's an interesting perspective but I don't agree. This was done with the idea of not having events every summer. The problem is that the solution was simple and they took a long road to travel 4 feet. Top teams miss events all the time by the way. The only reason it benefits some countries is because they don't have big name players. Those teams also happen to not be all that good.

How is this preventing events every summer?
            Summer 2017 - WC Qualifier Games + EuroBasket, AmeriCup (plus I assume Afro, Asia too)
            Summer 2018 - WC Qualifier Games
            Summer 2019 - World Cup
            Summer 2020 - Olympic Qualifiers for some and/or Olympics for others

Maybe there are less games in the 17 and 18 Summers but there is still training camps, preparation and games.

The main benefit I saw FIBA pitch is meaningful home games in each country with the hope that it stirs up interest. I'd be pretty stoked to see Team Canada play home games in Toronto even without our NBA guys (I may be in the minority).

No one is the US cares about FIBA. Just the Olympics and the WC to a much lesser extent. Us Canadians actively dislike FIBA.
            It is obviously a corrupt organization much like FIFA. There are just too many examples of sketchiness.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
              How is this preventing events every summer?
              Summer 2017 - WC Qualifier Games + EuroBasket, AmeriCup (plus I assume Afro, Asia too)
              Summer 2018 - WC Qualifier Games
              Summer 2019 - World Cup
              Summer 2020 - Olympic Qualifiers for some and/or Olympics for others

Maybe there are less games in the 17 and 18 Summers but there is still training camps, preparation and games.

The main benefit I saw FIBA pitch is meaningful home games in each country with the hope that it stirs up interest. I'd be pretty stoked to see Team Canada play home games in Toronto even without our NBA guys (I may be in the minority).

No one is the US cares about FIBA. Just the Olympics and the WC to a much lesser extent. Us Canadians actively dislike FIBA.
              It is obviously a corrupt organization much like FIFA. There are just too many examples of sketchiness.
              I said it was done with the idea of giving them a summer off....They clearly didn't succeed in that.

Comment

Puerto rican National Team takes shape.

Eddie Casiano is going to evaluate players for the Americup and the Qualifiers,players from the U-19 and college players are going to be invited to practice with the rest of the veterans. Renaldo Balkman and Peter john ramos retired from the national team, Carlos Arroyo is retired but is going to be considered anyway in case some of the players at his position cannot participate during the qualifiers.

English version.
                Casiano leaves Puerto Rico door wide open for players ahead of AmeriCup
                SAN JUAN (FIBA AmeriCup 2017) - Puerto Rico aren't going to rule anyone out of their plans heading into the FIBA AmeriCup 2017 and their FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 qualifying campaign. That is the
                Last edited by tres equis; 05-05-2017, 07:14 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

I said it was done with the idea of giving them a summer off....They clearly didn't succeed in that.
                  They did it to increase popularity of own FIBA World Cup as it was dyin' tournament after tournament. FIBA even renamed it as it was Championship before, but it seems word "Cup" looks more serious as it sounds the same like FIFA's one. By the way, they moved the tournament away from the same year when FIFA World Cup is held (2018), as it would simply overshadow it. Also they made the tournament as qualifier to the most prestigious event - Olympics. For this to happen, there was also no other way out than to cut out one local tournament too, cause let's say Eurobasket before Olympics was always great with most stars in it, other one right after Olympics was dyin' every 4 years more and more. In last one (2013) some 50 or so players skipped it, it was the worst since 1993. If they would like to give players a rest, they would just kill that one right after Olympics and keep the rest schedule as it is. Now the reason is clearly different

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information