Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NBA Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
    I don't believe basketball is about stars though and imo average players with good philosophy and chemistry alng with the right attitude can trap a team filled with superstars.
    It's fine to wish that was the case or even believe that it is the case, but history tells us otherwise. Basketball more than any other team sport is star driven. The proof is in the results, they don't lie.

With the succes, some of those players make a name for themselves and eventually due to that it all once again becomes a star driven game imo. Manu and Parker f.e. nevermind Duncan was a star. However yeah, to me a definition of a star is someone that shines in an important games, however I see many individuals somehow getting that "star" sttus due to stats and not succes.
    Their effect though can easily be overated compared to role-players. Imo basketball is and will be a team sport, however stars are highlighted due to marketing reasons.

Basicaly these are pretty much semantics
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

With the succes, some of those players make a name for themselves and eventually due to that it all once again becomes a star driven game imo. Manu and Parker f.e. nevermind Duncan was a star. However yeah, to me a definition of a star is someone that shines in an important games, however I see many individuals somehow getting that "star" sttus due to stats and not succes.
    Their effect though can easily be overated compared to role-players. Imo basketball is and will be a team sport, however stars are highlighted due to marketing reasons.

Basicaly these are pretty much semantics
    Totally agree here, the US fans and the NBA are obsessed with stars and they, IMHO, go to absurd lengths to create and polish them. Even the game highlights revolve around the defined star of the team. Sometimes Durant was 3-17 fg for example, and Ibaka let's say dominated the game, but you'd watch all 3 baskets of Durant in the highlights and maybe two nice words on Ibaka. (example from last year obviously).
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    Totally agree here, the US fans and the NBA are obsessed with stars and they, IMHO, go to absurd lengths to create and polish them. Even the game highlights revolve around the defined star of the team. Sometimes Durant was 3-17 fg for example, and Ibaka let's say dominated the game, but you'd watch all 3 baskets of Durant in the highlights and maybe two nice words on Ibaka. (example from last year obviously).
    That's why the NBA is ridiculous. Russ was the reason that team won and it was obvious when Durant choked in last year's playoffs. Paul George for all the love he gets is 0-15 in clutch shots, dominates the ball, and is not efficient at all. If he were a few inches shorter he'd be current CJ Miles. Very few of the players who get that love deserve it, with Harden being one of them.

As for the Spurs, I'd say they're better now than maybe they've ever been. Kawhi is just insane at this point. Did you see some of those moves last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    You are arguing different things. What you say may be true regarding what highlights are shown and who is being promoted. But the historical fact is that the best players win titles. It's not a coincidence that 90% of the time or more if a team doesn't have a top 5 player or 2 top 10 players they can't and don't win the championship. We have 70 years of NBA champions that illustrate this.

I'm totally impressed with Leonard. Haven't seen him much in regular season, but he's just doing work and yet he is just only silently praised as one of the best ballers in the league (more of an introvert guy as well). If he can keep current pace he may be very well the best basketball player in the world right now, knowing that Lebron has lost an inch of defensive presence and athleticism. Maybe so far it's not the best opposition, but he gets where he wants and he does what he wants.

The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    I'm totally impressed with Leonard. Haven't seen him much in regular season, but he's just doing work and yet he is just only silently praised as one of the best ballers in the league (more of an introvert guy as well). If he can keep current pace he may be very well the best basketball player in the world right now, knowing that Lebron has lost an inch of defensive presence and athleticism. Maybe so far it's not the best opposition, but he gets where he wants and he does what he wants.
    He continues to improve year to year and has become a two way beast. He's got to prove that he can be the lead dog on a team that wins the title or gets to a finals but I think that will come. I disagree about him not getting his due. He was second in the MVP vote last year ahead of LeBron James so he is getting his recognition. But exposure as you stated has more to do with his personality. Very similar to Tim Duncan in that way.

I agree he hasn't had much trouble from the Grizzlies defensively but I have to admit I've been impressed with the way Selden has played on that end. This is a kid who was never known for defense and came in on a ten-day and yet he might be their best perimeter defender right now. Him and Ennis, that is.

On an unrelated note, I've been thinking lately that if the Clippers don't get it done this year, they may have to start thinking about blowing it up. The Jazz are a great team but no way can the Clippers look themselves in the mirror if they lose this series. The offense now revolves completely around Blake and they have two standout power forwards from this past draft alone who they don't play and only one actual shooting guard. Paul Pierce is their main small forward even off the bench, and they've wasted multiple players who could've held down that spot for years to come. What do they really have other than the Big Three, Reddick, and a declining Jamal Crawford? Their road will only get tougher as all of the teams who are smarter than them continue to make more and more smart additions to their rosters.

Must win situations tonight for all three home teams after dropping game ones on their home courts. I expect three blowouts tonight since the urgency will take over and the complacency will set in for the road teams. Kyle Lowry will be the one to watch for Toronto. He was awful in game one but I think that has more to do with his coming back from injury. If he's not right again tonight I think Toronto could be in trouble.

Never thought Leonard would become as good of a player, when I watched him in his rookie season. Impressive.

I'd expect at least one visiting team winning today and basicaly sealing the series. I'd hope Utah would make it.
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Chicago destroys Boston on their home court. I knew the Celtics were a fake number one seed, but it appears its more than that, they are a fake playoff teammate.

Any idea how many times in history did the 8th seed eliminate 1st seed?

Any idea how many times in history did the 8th seed eliminate 1st seed?
    I don't know the full history but below are a few of them after a search on google:

1994 - Seattle Supersonics (1) - Denver Nuggets (8); from 2-0 to 2-3.
    1999 - Miami Heat (1) - NY Knicks (8). This was a great Knicks team with Houston, Spreewell, etc.
    2007 - Dallas Mavericks (1) - Golden State Warriors (8). Baron Davis .
    2011 - San Antonio Spurs (1) - Memphis Grizzlies (8); Grizzlies's first ever playoff series victory.
    2012 - Chicago Bulls (1) - Philadelphia 76ers (8). Rose tore his ACL in the first game.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

I don't really consider Chicago a typical 8th seed. Rondo has been by far the biggest reason for their falling into that spot. Jimmy Butler is a superstar. Jerian Grant is a potential star guard who hasn't been played half as much as he should to this point in his career. MCW and Valentine are both potential studs. Portis could be the next Jermaine O'Neal. Cristiano Felicio is a guy who showed in Rio that he can be an impact big, and we all know what Mirotic can do. Throw in underrated guys like Morrow and Lopez, and that's a strong team.

However I would definitely say Boston is in serious trouble. They're weak down low and their not playing young players is coming back to bite them. Danny Ainge loves to think he's always the smartest guy in the room but that only applies when it comes to acquiring talent. His Celtics have been godawful at developing it.

Quote Originally Posted by CHBB View Post
    Danny Ainge loves to think he's always the smartest guy in the room but that only applies when it comes to acquiring talent. His Celtics have been godawful at developing it.
    I agree 100% with every part of this statement.

So I wouldn't say the Thunder are dead in the water or anything but they are definitely in trouble. Houston has so much offensively but that shouldn't even be a problem because the Thunder have more length and athleticism and plenty of talent themselves. Oladipo HAS to step up, as do Kanter, Adams, Grant, Gibson, and everybody including Russ has to play better defense. If any year is ever going to be theirs to win, it's this one. They need to get their act together and take care of business. No way should they be getting out-hustled or out-rebounded.

On an unrelated note, I can't wait to see Game 3 of the Spurs/Grizzlies series in Memphis. The Grizzlies need one or more of their two-way players to step up in the scoring department, though. Conley too of course but him and Gasol can't do it by themselves.

Cavs getting smoked in Indiana. Not surprising to me at all in that Indiana had a really good home record. This series has Cavs in 5 written all over it. Cleveland will win a tight game 4 and then close them out at home in game 5. If you watched playoff basketball long enough you've seen that games 3-5 scenario I am describing play out a million times.

Massive, historic, incredible comeback/choke job. Forget everything I wrote above.

Bucks absolutely demolished the Raptors last night and now lead 2-1. We've seen the Raptors bounce back once before but damn that is a blowout! Do or die for Toronto in Game 4. Can they even things up or will the Bucks eventually finish them off?

As for the Pacers, honestly at this point they'd be better off letting Paul George go and building their team around a real leader rather than a ball-dominant one-dimensional player who doesn't hold himself accountable on either end of the floor? He's been in the league seven years now and still blames everybody else. Myles Turner is a beast and I'm sure they can get a hell of a package for PG. Just not to my Sixers for the love of God.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast