Former PBA players where are they now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by donmar View Post
    • Hector Calma - former Team Manager of the Coca-Cola Tigers... currently the San Miguel Beermen Team Manager
    • Samboy Lim - former San Miguel Beermen Team Manager... currently the Barangay Ginebra Kings Team Manager
    • Allan Caidic - former Head Coach of the Barangay Ginebra Kings, former Assistant Coach of the RP National Team, former Team Manager of Barangay Ginebra Kings and of the Coca-Cola Tigers... currently the Barangay Ginebra Kings Assistant Coach
    • Alvin Patrimonio - current Team Manager of Purefoods Chunkee Giants
    • Robert Jaworski - former Senator
    siot tanquincen - head coach of SMB...hahahaha.... whatta post!

Comment

• Originally posted by donmar View Post
      • Hector Calma - former Team Manager of the Coca-Cola Tigers... currently the San Miguel Beermen Team Manager
      • Samboy Lim - former San Miguel Beermen Team Manager... currently the Barangay Ginebra Kings Team Manager
      • Allan Caidic - former Head Coach of the Barangay Ginebra Kings, former Assistant Coach of the RP National Team, former Team Manager of Barangay Ginebra Kings and of the Coca-Cola Tigers... currently the Barangay Ginebra Kings Assistant Coach
      • Alvin Patrimonio - current Team Manager of Purefoods Chunkee Giants
      • Robert Jaworski - former Senator
      you forgot... Pido Jarencio - Asst. Coach - SMB...

Comment

• Originally posted by chris25_moon View Post
        you forgot... Pido Jarencio - Asst. Coach - SMB...
        And head coach of UST

Comment

• Originally posted by patay-butiki View Post

The interview of Lim Eng Beng ==> http://sports.inquirer.net/video/index.php?vid=2753
          LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
          Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
          THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Meneses still keeps himself fit to play
            By Marjorie Gorospe
            INQUIRER.net
            First Posted 01:21:00 09/16/2009

Filed Under: Basketball
            MANILA, Philippines – Even though he’s retired from professional basketball, Vergel Meneses makes sure he keeps himself fit enough to play exhibition games.

The 6-foot-3 Meneses carried the moniker “The Aerial Voyager” for his acrobatic and moves to the basket, making him an explosive offensive threat reminiscent of Samboy “The Skywalker” Lim, who he succeeded in the amateur leagues playing for Swift.

The 10-time PBA All-Star played for several teams but was most successful with Sunkist, wining the coveted Most Valuable Player award in 1995 when he led the RFM franchise to a near grand slam – copping two of out three conferences.

Even after announcing his retirement in 2006, Meneses said it was important for him to stay fit because he always gets invited to play exhibition matches. He recently saw action in the ASEAN veterans basketball tournament held in Marikina City.

“Not just because I’m out of PBA, I’ll let my body loosen up and get back into shape drastically when there’s an exhibition game. I really discipline myself and be strict with my diet,” he said.

Though not a strict vegetarian, Meneses said he limits himself to a cup of rice every meal and eats a lot of fruits and vegetables.

“I always set my target like when it comes to my weight and when I achieve it I stop then just repeat my routine,” said Meneses, who kept himself busy with various businesses after his professional career.

Prior to the PBL and PBA, Meneses played for Jose Rizal College (now Jose Rizal University) in the NCAA.

The league’s 1993 Most Improved Player and four-time PBA All-Star Game Most Valuable player feels overwhelmed that basketball fans still recognize him even though the league has produced many talented players.

During his heyday, Meneses, who won back-to-back slam dunk contests when he entered the PBA in 1992, was known as a go-to guy who isn’t afraid to take crucial shots when the game is on the line.

“I hope they still remember me as someone who has the will to win especially during crunch time,” he said.

Comment

• Idol..Vergel...

Comment

• Life after PBA for the ‘Fortune Cookie’

Posted: September 22, 2009

Fortunato “Atoy” Co is one of most recognizable players in local basketball having played for the legendary Crispa franchise from late 1970s to early 1980s. The PBA legend talks about his life after retirement and shares his thoughts about today’s basketball players. Video taken by INQUIRER.net’s Marjorie Gorospe and Janie Octia.

To see video ==> FORTUNE COOKIE

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Good to hear some of the players are involved in charity programs and foundations like Rob Johnson. I've seen him in Hardball earlier with Kelly Williams and Lamont Waters. Man, Kelly gained some weight. Laki ng pisngi. LOL

Comment

• what's the latest news on dignadice?

is he still wasted and using it?

no help from the other ncc boys?

Comment

• Originally posted by neo View Post
                      what's the latest news on dignadice?

is he still wasted and using it?

no help from the other ncc boys?

Last edited by nardy; 09-24-2009, 06:04 PM.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                      THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• dignadice looks hella old.. damn...

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post

Racela is timeless...OMG
                          You know how to WIN against the Philippines? Zone them do death and watch them crumble. Been working Since 2002 and coaches until today don't have the answer for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post

that's nice that he still plays. hopefully he's fully clean

Comment

• Ex-Beerman Carmona still takes it to the hoops in London
                              BOBBY RONDEZ
                              10/20/2009 | 07:01 PM

LONDON – Big man Ronaldo “Jude" Carmona gets the ball inside the shaded lane and powers his way into the basket.

This was a familiar scene during Carmona’s days in local cage leagues – National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Philippine Basketball League (PBL) and the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

Nowadays, the 6-foot-8 former San Miguel Beerman makes those moves in a less glamorous league in the British capital. Though the opponents he defies are not in the caliber of an Asi Taulava or an Erik Menk, for Carmona, it still presents the same good feeling.

Now 32 years old, Carmona enjoys playing his role as the tower of power for one of the teams in a league called KAMPI (Kapisanan ng mga Manlalaro sa Inglatera), which was organized by a group of Filipino old-timers based here.

“Para sa akin kahit hindi na kasing level ng PBA o sa PBL, masaya na ako (I’m still happy even if the games are not the same level as in the PBA or PBL)," said Carmona, who’s been living in London with his wife and two kids for the last six years.

“Gusto ko ring ma-encourage ko iyung mga batang player at tulungan din sila na ma-develop ang skills nila sa paglalaro (I want to encourage the younger players and help them develop their playing skills)," he added.

Carmona used to have a promising basketball career in the Philippines – until the influx of Filipino-foreign players displaced him and several other homegrown cagers.

He played for the Perpetual Help Altas in the NCAA and was part of the Welcoat team that won back-to-back PBL titles in 1999 and 2000. He joined the pro ranks in 2000, suiting up for San Miguel for the next three years but struggled to get playing time as much of the exposure went to Fil-Ams in the roster.

As such, Carmona decided to pack his bags for London, where his wife works as a nurse at Wellington Hospital in Epson, Surrey.

“Dahil madalang na ako nagagamit at lumiit na rin ang playing time ko, ini-request ko na magpa-trade sa ibang team pero hindi nila ako pinansin. So after nun, inisip ko na ang future ko kaya nabuo sa isip ko na sumunod sa asawa ko dito (Since I am seldom used and my playing time declined, I requested to be traded into another team but they won’t release me. So, I decided to follow my wife in England)," he recalled.

A management graduate at Perpetual Help, Carmona has found work as a care worker in the same hospital as his wife’s, helping and supporting people with learning disability.

Though he’s already a naturalized British citizen and living a good life in London, the soft-spoken giant still takes time to indulge in his first love - basketball.

And Carmona wants to share his skills with kids, especially Fil-Britons who might someday make it big in the sport.

“Isa yan sa pangarap ko – ang makapag-develop ng mga Fil-Briton at ilagay sila sa isang project na liga kung saan pwede natin silang tulungan sa training at development sa tulong ng mga kababyan natin dito sa UK (That’s one of my dreams – to develop a Filipino-British player and put up a league where we can help train and develop their skills with the help of our fellow Filipinos in the UK)," he said.

For this endeavor, Carmona seeks to get backing from KAMPI officials and hopes to touch base with his former San Miguel teammates Michael Mustre and Arniel Bravo, who are said to be playing in another Filipino-organized league in the east part of London.

Finding no place in the PBA turned out to be a blessing in disguise after all for Carmona, who’s been having a ball as a family man, care worker, and yes a franchise player for his team in Her Majesty’s homeland.
                              – GMANews.TV

Comment

• Originally posted by donspark47 View Post
                                Obviously we all know that already...

No offense but that was a two years old post intended to answer a fellow Pinoy from Canada...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information