Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveMap2007
    So many names can be mention but my Top three would be this

Rabbi Tomacruz - 6'6 UST Center that played in San Miguel for a few years. He was an important player for the UST in the late 80's. After 2-3 years vanish from the PBA although made an attempt in the MBA.

Edwin Bacani - FEU star player MVP played for Shell and several stint in some clubs but never stay on...Many says he has attitude problems

Christopher Cantonjos - The great UST center...unlucky he wasnt able to showcase his ware because of the Fil-am Star studded Tanduay during his younger years...now he is just a lifer...

Edwin Bacani never became an MVP during his times in UAAP and PBL. he only had a name when he hit that crucial 3-pointer in the UAAP Finals against Chris Tan and the DLSU in 1997 to deny the Chris Cantonjos led UST the 5-peat Championship. the problem with him is not the attitude, he is a pure SG, and too slow for SG. and too small for SF. he can only shoot 3's when was only setted-up by a good PG, like Anastacio " Robin " Mendoza and Celino Cruz during his time. he even got tag name " edwin bwacawni " in FEU for his relentless 3 point attempts..

OT- i wonder why these MBA Laguna Lakers Scoring Machines like Biboy Simon, Jeffrey Flowers and Chris " The White Thunder " Clay did not even bothered to try before in the draft.. or they are not eligible?

Paul Tanchi did not continue his Basketball career to concentrate on his studies.. he actually finished in 2002 with Magna Cum Laude honors while playing for ADMU, now he's taking up Masteral in Ateneo.
    ________
    V12 engine
    Last edited by thugpinoy; 03-11-2011, 12:30 AM.
    Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

Comment

maybe the most famous Mediocre Pro-Superstar College player is Maui Roca ..he was a hearthrob in the UAAP playing for powerhouse La Salle..he starred in the Tropang Trumpo gag show. he never won a UAAP crown , his team was year-in and year-out the victim of the UST massacre during the mid 90's. He played for the Batangas Blades in the old MBA...his pro career is dead like his showbiz career
      <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoClang
        ok, thanks. Never saw him in MBA...how did he do before the injury?
        Nestor Echano was a clutch shooter in the MBA...a threat from beyond the arc. he complemented the Adducul-Compton tandem of Manila Metrostars. After Manila, I think he had a brief stint with Iloilo or is it the other way around, Iloilo first then Manila...i forgot.
        SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

Originally posted by Tigas
          How about Ronald MAgtulis of FEU, Paul Tanchi and Rainier Sison of Ateneo, Dino Aldeguer Mac Cuan and Mon Jose of DLSU, Marvin Ortiguerra of UST, Bravo and Almeda of UP
          Magtulis is with the SMC All-Stars touring team.
          Tan-Chi graduated cum laude with a degree in management. I heard he's in Procter & Gamble now.
          Sison was drafted by Shell but never got much playing time.
          Mac Cuan is with the Sta. Lucia Realtors.
          Mon Jose is an assistant coach at Coca-Cola.
          Marvin Ortiguerra is now with Harbour Centre.
          As for the two UP players, I think they went back to the PBL.
          Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by jaybz
            this maybe off-the-topic..but I notice that usually good players that are "well-to-do" in life does not have the same impact "Motivation" in the pros unlike when they are still in the amateur ranks...maybe one example is Jason Webb....
            Jason Webb is doing well in the PBA.. as a commentator..LOL

btw, Jason Webb's 1st year was a hit, as far as Sta. Lucia is concerned.
            but, he did not improve, and new guards ate him up in the court, he didn't improve that much til he came to Tanduay..then after Tanduay left the PBA..I think he didn't play anymore.
            It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
            I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Gerard Francisco of the mid 90s UST. i liked that guy because I always thought that on my best days, I kinda played like him. He was a winner in college.

He was a not so athletic, slow-ish Small forward who could shoot,pass and rebound. He looked kinda awkward yet effective. Nice midrange floaters and bankshots. And he wasnt so confident with his underhand lay ups, even on breakaway fastbreaks, he always did a running lay up overhand style, as if shooting a jumpshot. hehe. Just like me.

I always reemember DLSU's CaliJohn Orfrecio and ADMU's Arespacochaga from the mid 90s.

Comment

How about Ralph Rivera? He was also good during the late 90's...I think he played for the Batangas Blades...

Comment

^If I could remember well, Ralph Rivera plays like Lordy Tugade back then, a very good shooter with slashing abilities... I don't know why he didn't make it in the PBA...

Speaking of unlucky collegiate-star players that came in the PBA, that Don Camaso guy had potential! He has the height, he could've developed into a Jay Washington-type player if he didn't settle too much beyond the 3pt arc (I'd forgive him if he hits those shots consistently but the bad thing is he can't)... I could just compare him to Red Bull's Mike Hrabak minus the 3pt accuracy...

Comment

No offense but Jay Sagad of CSB and also an MVP in NCAA can also be added in the list. He sucks even in the PBL
                    ________
                    Lovely Wendie99
                    Last edited by b3lowzro; 04-26-2011, 11:41 PM.
                    you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by bolabasket
                      Nestor Echano was a clutch shooter in the MBA...a threat from beyond the arc. he complemented the Adducul-Compton tandem of Manila Metrostars. After Manila, I think he had a brief stint with Iloilo or is it the other way around, Iloilo first then Manila...i forgot.
                      Nestor Echano got to play pro ball via the MBA's Manila Metrostars from 1998 to 1999. He had a very good first year, playing a key role in the Metrostars' rotation under coach Ricky Dandan. After the season, Echano won the MBA All-Star Three-Point Shootout during the All-Star Game in Pampanga.

Injuries slowed him down in 1999 but he still managed to contribute to the Metrostars' successful title drive to the MBA National Championship under new coach Louie Alas.

Entering the 2000 season, the MBA in an effort to promote balance in the league held a dispersal draft of sorts wherein the teams will protect their best eight players and send the rest to a pool where the teams will pick in reverse order according to their 1999 win-loss record. That resulted in Echano being selected by the woeful Iloilo Megavoltz. He opted not to sign with the Megavoltz and instead migrated to Canada.
                      Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
                      Servinio's Blog of Sports
                      Servinio's Official YouTube channel
                      Servinio's Official TWITTER account
                      Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

During the early and Mid 90's there are lots of college star players...

especially on the rosters of The Mighty "Golden" Tigers and San Sebastian Stags, the Forever Bride's Maid La Salle back then and Letran.

I can say amongst this group there are lots of players coming from Baste like brixter encarnacion, rommel adducul, topex robinson, Rodney Santos, Christian Coronel, banjo Calpito (next generation after rommel adducul lead Mighty Baste with 4 feat), Buboy Tanigue.

A nobody in amateur days who became successful in the pro?

Willie Miller - 2 time MVP of PBA. in letran he plays in the shadow of chris calaguio, moody with their team mates Kerby raymundo, Reyes and Prior.

Next is Carlos Sharma.
                        Being Smart doesn't necessary mean you're Being Right.

Comment

Originally posted by RayV
                          ^If I could remember well, Ralph Rivera plays like Lordy Tugade back then, a very good shooter with slashing abilities... I don't know why he didn't make it in the PBA...

Speaking of unlucky collegiate-star players that came in the PBA, that Don Camaso guy had potential! He has the height, he could've developed into a Jay Washington-type player if he didn't settle too much beyond the 3pt arc (I'd forgive him if he hits those shots consistently but the bad thing is he can't)... I could just compare him to Red Bull's Mike Hrabak minus the 3pt accuracy...
                          I think Don Camaso is much better and quicker than Hrabak and can finish a fastbreak with an emphatic slam! He's just very unlucky that his entry in the PBA coincided with the entry of Fil-Ams. also, he didn't get enough playing time. If the PBA have more teams (say at least 15 teams), he could surely play more and excel.
                          SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

Missing Players

THe UST star guard Henry Ong...remembered for his shooting prowess....but never made it in the PBA...he played a brift stint in MBA Batangas..what happen to this guy

Udoy Belmonte.....Former San Miguel Player and got in the MBA also....good college career duo

and the Former first pick Peter "Jao"-- i forgot his first name i was still in elementary then

Michael Otto anyone knows what college he cam from

Patrick Benedicto - the Mapua star " The Patriot" nickname cause he is like a missile when he launches his three points....a very good shooter where is he now after MBA....sayang sya we need good shooters

Jerome Barbosa of San Sebastian Stag also good career in NCAA

Bernard Tanpua - the perpetual forward..played briefly in Redbull although still young never seen after it along with his teammates Jun Carmona and Arnel MAnalac

Comment

The early 90s RP Youth team.

Allen Glen Patrimonio
                              Ralph Rivera
                              Mark Telan
                              Rommel Adducul
                              Joseph Gumatay
                              Bryan Gahol
                              Dominic Uy
                              Danny Ildefonso

Comment

Originally posted by pinoy pac fan
                                The early 90s RP Youth team.

Allen Glen Patrimonio
                                Ralph Rivera
                                Mark Telan
                                Rommel Adducul
                                Joseph Gumatay
                                Bryan Gahol
                                Dominic Uy
                                Danny Ildefonso

Bryan Gahol is another underrated player like Don Camaso. I hope this guy could get back to the PBA. He is a good and tall player.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information