03-14-2011, 11:52 AM
eric altamirano(UP)and eugene quilban(SSC-r)
03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
The names which stand out for me were:
1. Jerome Cueto - maybe the original Jimmy Alapag. A shoot first play alike of Hector Calma. Never made it to the pros.
2. Louie Brill - star of the 82 Rom Jacobs youth team which defeated China, suffered a serious knee injury from which he never recovered.
3. Fernando "Dong" Libed of Letran. Singlehandedly defeated the mighty Baste team of Paul Alvarez, Solomon, Quilban, Garrido. Unfortunately developed a taste for hardcore drugs.
4. John Copada - Lanky 6-4 center of the youth team back in 79, I think. Disappeared off the face of the earth.
5. Fernando "Nandy" Garcia of Adamson. UAAP scoring champion averaging more than 30 points per game. Drafted by Ginebra, went down to the PABL and went back again but never made his mark.
6. Totoy Marquez - younger brother of Joey Marquez. I think also a multi PABL MVP but never panned out in the pros.
7. Sonny Cabatu - 2 time PABL MVP. Too oafish and more intent on injuring his opponents in the PBA.
Of recent vintage, only Ken Bono and Rich Alvarez come to mind. But they didn't make it largely due to the fact that they were undersized for their positions.
Also, though I thought he was very much overrated, Jun Jun Cabatu also never panned out. Like father, like son.
03-14-2011, 11:41 PM
03-15-2011, 02:11 AM