No announcement yet.

Unlucky Great College or Amateur Players that came in PBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eric altamirano(UP)and eugene quilban(SSC-r)

Comment

• The names which stand out for me were:

1. Jerome Cueto - maybe the original Jimmy Alapag. A shoot first play alike of Hector Calma. Never made it to the pros.

2. Louie Brill - star of the 82 Rom Jacobs youth team which defeated China, suffered a serious knee injury from which he never recovered.

3. Fernando "Dong" Libed of Letran. Singlehandedly defeated the mighty Baste team of Paul Alvarez, Solomon, Quilban, Garrido. Unfortunately developed a taste for hardcore drugs.

4. John Copada - Lanky 6-4 center of the youth team back in 79, I think. Disappeared off the face of the earth.

5. Fernando "Nandy" Garcia of Adamson. UAAP scoring champion averaging more than 30 points per game. Drafted by Ginebra, went down to the PABL and went back again but never made his mark.

6. Totoy Marquez - younger brother of Joey Marquez. I think also a multi PABL MVP but never panned out in the pros.

7. Sonny Cabatu - 2 time PABL MVP. Too oafish and more intent on injuring his opponents in the PBA.

Of recent vintage, only Ken Bono and Rich Alvarez come to mind. But they didn't make it largely due to the fact that they were undersized for their positions.

Also, though I thought he was very much overrated, Jun Jun Cabatu also never panned out. Like father, like son.

Comment

• Dale Singson

Ronald Magtulis

Comment

• Jojo Padilla from JRU i think.

had a brief stint in the Pro's played for Pop, but was injured one time and never recovered.

Go USTe! Go USTe! Go USTe! GO! GO! GO! GO! Go USTe!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Phlegm Thrower View Post
            Dale Singson

Ronald Magtulis
            Singson had a so-so PBA career so i don't think he deserves to be called unlucky, but he was such a great player back in UST it made a die-hard La Sallista like me puke. Cantonjos for me, was unlucky. he was just born in the wrong era with all those big Fil-Fors.

ditto with Magtulis, wasn't physically built for the PBA game.

Comment

• I dont agree with you, Totoy Marquez might have been to different PBA teams but he always left a mark and is a key part of the regular rotation.
              He was not the superstar type of player but he was definitely looked upon by his peers as one of the boys. You could not call him a bench warmer as he is usually called by his coach to guard the number shooter or even the import of the opposing team.

He even had a much longer PBA career than 'Kuya' Joey Marquez. But even if Totoy could score, his teams depends on him in being their top perimeter defender so he did not make a scoring record unlike 'Kuya' Joey who once scored 45 points in one game while playing for Presto.
              LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
              Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
              THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Players who should be included in this list are:

Bong Solomon, DonKing Susuman, Robin Mendoza, Jojo Manalo, Jercules Tangkay, Dino Aldeguer, Chris Cantojos, Ray Obias, Bokio Lauchengco, Michael Orquillas, Eric Quiday, Marlon Legaspi, Marc Victoria, Kevin Ramas, Jolly Escobar, Romy Ang, Richard Bognot ..... Dudut Jaworski

Its rather funny that Chris Bolado and Wilmer Ong made a bigger impact in the PBA than Kevin Ramas and Jolly Escobar.

How about who are the big stars in the MBA who flopped in the PBA?

Or who is the highest drafted players but were not able to play in the PBA?

Then there's the who are the MVPs in the UAAP, NCAA or PBL who did not play in the PBA?
                LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• [QUOTE=nardy;561461]Players who should be included in this list are:

.....Bokio Lauchengco....

Nardy,

Tingin ko ang pagiging unlucky pa ni Federico "Bokio" Lauchengco ay yung pagiging biktima niya sa mga kamay ni Lito Puyat at ng BAP who kept very good amateur players in the national pool even against their will, invoking national interest and thus depriving them the right to earn more in the PBA.

Nakakahinayang si Bokio. After so many stints in many national teams, the last of which was the 1982 Asian games, he was no longer in his prime and was an over-ripe rookie when he made his PBA debut in 1983. Ganito rin sana ang gusto nilang gawin kay Alvin Patrimonio in 1988 kaso nga lang hindi na sila ganuong kapowerful para magdikta kung sino ang pwedeng mag-PBA o hindi.

Comment

• [QUOTE=fordmo47;561469]
                    Originally posted by nardy View Post
                    Players who should be included in this list are:

.....Bokio Lauchengco....

Nardy,

Tingin ko ang pagiging unlucky pa ni Federico "Bokio" Lauchengco ay yung pagiging biktima niya sa mga kamay ni Lito Puyat at ng BAP who kept very good amateur players in the national pool even against their will, invoking national interest and thus depriving them the right to earn more in the PBA.

Nakakahinayang si Bokio. After so many stints in many national teams, the last of which was the 1982 Asian games, he was no longer in his prime and was an over-ripe rookie when he made his PBA debut in 1983. Ganito rin sana ang gusto nilang gawin kay Alvin Patrimonio in 1988 kaso nga lang hindi na sila ganuong kapowerful para magdikta kung sino ang pwedeng mag-PBA o hindi.
                    pretty much the same case as Ray Obias, Mon Cruz, Greg Gozum and Nat Castillo.

Comment

• kevin de la pena of MIT...once an MVP in the NCAA.

Comment

• [QUOTE=jamalsampson;561474]
                        Originally posted by fordmo47 View Post

pretty much the same case as Ray Obias, Mon Cruz, Greg Gozum and Nat Castillo.
                        A lot from the APCOR / Solid Mills team would be classified in this category. Names like Rad Pasco, Alfred Amador, Ramonito Roa - players mostly from the FEU Tamaraws - were good enough to do well in the pros but never did. But here's one name that should have stood out and would have become a PBA superstar had he opted to turn pro early - Fernando "Jojo" De Guzman. One of the sweetest-shooting players I've ever seen. He had a feathery touch from the outside and could shoot with deadly accuracy. Unfortunately, he was part of the Manilabank Golden Bankers team of Lito Puyat (same person that Lauchengco encountered with as stated by Fordmo) who wasn't allowed to join the pros. He eventually did when the Tefilin Polyesters joined the PBA in 1981. But at that time, De Guzman was already beyond his prime.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Jay P. Mercado;561485]
                          Originally posted by jamalsampson View Post

A lot from the APCOR / Solid Mills team would be classified in this category. Names like Rad Pasco, Alfred Amador, Ramonito Roa - players mostly from the FEU Tamaraws - were good enough to do well in the pros but never did. But here's one name that should have stood out and would have become a PBA superstar had he opted to turn pro early - Fernando "Jojo" De Guzman. One of the sweetest-shooting players I've ever seen. He had a feathery touch from the outside and could shoot with deadly accuracy. Unfortunately, he was part of the Manilabank Golden Bankers team of Lito Puyat (same person that Lauchengco encountered with as stated by Fordmo) who wasn't allowed to join the pros. He eventually did when the Tefilin Polyesters joined the PBA in 1981. But at that time, De Guzman was already beyond his prime.
                          Flint de Guzman might not have been released by Puyat at all and not be able to play in the PBA had he not gone to the USA for two year and returned to play for Tefilin alongside the best all time Tefilin Polyester of them all - Norman BlacK!!! Stormin' Norman wore number 15 in his rookie year in the PBA because Cesar Yabut was wearing jersey no. 24. Jojo at that time changed from his usual no. 15 and switched to no. 20.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghostr!der View Post
                            The names which stand out for me were:

1. Jerome Cueto - maybe the original Jimmy Alapag. A shoot first play alike of Hector Calma. Never made it to the pros.

2. Louie Brill - star of the 82 Rom Jacobs youth team which defeated China, suffered a serious knee injury from which he never recovered.

3. Fernando "Dong" Libed of Letran. Singlehandedly defeated the mighty Baste team of Paul Alvarez, Solomon, Quilban, Garrido. Unfortunately developed a taste for hardcore drugs.

4. John Copada - Lanky 6-4 center of the youth team back in 79, I think. Disappeared off the face of the earth.

5. Fernando "Nandy" Garcia of Adamson. UAAP scoring champion averaging more than 30 points per game. Drafted by Ginebra, went down to the PABL and went back again but never made his mark.

6. Totoy Marquez - younger brother of Joey Marquez. I think also a multi PABL MVP but never panned out in the pros.

7. Sonny Cabatu - 2 time PABL MVP. Too oafish and more intent on injuring his opponents in the PBA.

Of recent vintage, only Ken Bono and Rich Alvarez come to mind. But they didn't make it largely due to the fact that they were undersized for their positions.

Also, though I thought he was very much overrated, Jun Jun Cabatu also never panned out. Like father, like son.
                            Both Totoy Marquez and Sonny Cabatu were scorers in the PBA...
                            SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

• Jun Reyes of Ateneo. His career in the professional ranks can only be summed by one word: blah.

Comment

• Originally posted by bolabasket View Post
                                Both Totoy Marquez and Sonny Cabatu were scorers in the PBA...
                                Totoy Marquez was a 6'0" shooting guard/small forward in the 80s. A high-flyer with an excellent jump shot in the perimeter. He had this jump shot form similar to Alfie Almario's but with a higher elevation. Totoy was part of that rookie Purefoods team that made it to the Finals of all three (3) conferences in the 1988 season (only won the 3rd conference championship).

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information