2017 NBA trade deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 NBA trade deadline

Cousins to New Orleans was the headliner so far. Other deals of note were Ibaka to Toronto and Lou Williams to Houston. Bogdanovic to Washington.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Bogdanovic now in a more suitable role. He is not a lead player unless you are horrible team like Brooklyn. Now coming off the bench and providing some scoring for a good team like the Wizards is more tailored to his abilities. He can spell Beal and Porter a little and get the hell off the court before he gets exposed defensively.

Comment

Two more hot stories right now are:

Paul George to the Lakers
      Drummond to Boston

Both Lakers and Boston have the chips to bargain with. Celtics I can understand wanting an upgrade at C (even though Drummond is not the player I would chose). I would be hard press to see Paul George making sense to Lakers now, with the team being so far away from contending.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
        Two more hot stories right now are:

Paul George to the Lakers
        Drummond to Boston

Both Lakers and Boston have the chips to bargain with. Celtics I can understand wanting an upgrade at C (even though Drummond is not the player I would chose). I would be hard press to see Paul George making sense to Lakers now, with the team being so far away from contending.
        Being from the area and in hopes of maybe later teaming George with Westbrook another local guy I think is the thought process there. Jimmy Butler also in play with talk of him landing in Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
          Being from the area and in hopes of maybe later teaming George with Westbrook another local guy I think is the thought process there. Jimmy Butler also in play with talk of him landing in Boston.
          Yeah, I get the logic. The issue of having Mozgov/Deng on the books is an issue for sure.

Regarding Jimmy, I like the guy. I think he is a great No. 2 guy for many franchises but I have doubts about what is Boston gaining for him. Defensively he will not offer a lot more then they already have. Scoring wise he is an improvement, but just knowing the Celtics system, it doesn't bode that well for Jimmy's skillset and not really complimentary with Thomas.

Comment

Yeah, I get the logic. The issue of having Mozgov/Deng on the books is an issue for sure.

Regarding Jimmy, I like the guy. I think he is a great No. 2 guy for many franchises but I have doubts about what is Boston gaining for him. Defensively he will not offer a lot more then they already have. Scoring wise he is an improvement, but just knowing the Celtics system, it doesn't bode that well for Jimmy's skillset and not really complimentary with Thomas.
            I think Butler could replace Thomas as the crunch time scorer. A lot of times in last minute scenarios Thomas is substituted because of the huge defensive liability that he is. Butler being a two way stud can help them in tight last minute games.

Comment

I think Butler could replace Thomas as the crunch time scorer. A lot of times in last minute scenarios Thomas is substituted because of the huge defensive liability that he is. Butler being a two way stud can help them in tight last minute games.
              True that. The question is, whether that is worth the loot they will give up for him? Especially, with the most glaring problem of the team being inside the paint.

Comment

Yeah those contracts seem to be roadblocks to improvement, except as ridiculous as it may sound 16 and 18 million dollar contracts in relation to the current cap don't hamstring you as much as you may think.
                They can be valuable to a team that's a seller and needs to at minimum reach the salar cap floor and after next year are only 2 year deals remaining so they can have value as expiring contracts.

I have to say my man you are a true basketball junkie. You are on top of all the happenings in the NBA and of course the Euroleague. I must admit I only try to follow the Euroleague when it's crunch time, quarterfinals and final 4.
                Last edited by Levenspiel; 02-23-2017, 07:51 PM. Reason: quote box fixed

Comment

Ilyasova traded to Atlanta for Tiago Splitter. Ersan's tour of the United States continues now on his 5th team in the last couple of years. He seemed to fit in well in Philadelphia and was playing well so I don't get it from the 76ers side. Second round draft picks are mostly useless and Splitter is an expiring contract so I don't get it. Ilyasova also on an expiring deal so Atlanta has nothing to lose and I guess can use another rotation player for their playoff push.

Comment

Yeah those contracts seem to be roadblocks to improvement, except as ridiculous as it may sound 16 and 18 million dollar contracts in relation to the current cap don't hamstring you as much as you may think.
                    They can be valuable to a team that's a seller and needs to at minimum reach the salar cap floor and after next year are only 2 year deals remaining so they can have value as expiring contracts.

I have to say my man you are a true basketball junkie. You are on top of all the happenings in the NBA and of course the Euroleague. I must admit I only try to follow the Euroleague when it's crunch time, quarterfinals and final 4.
                    I try as much as I can. I have to admit I did much more about 7-8 years back, and I don't have that kind of time any more. What is keeping me afloat with NBA is the advancements in tech mostly. I can go through NBA daily wire in 20-30 minutes before going to bed. Then during the next day, I can use condensed games from Game Pass to see several games. They pretty much show everything, without the shitty stuff. I don't care much for in-game commentators anyway and their analysis

I love basketball, makes me happy on many levels. Still, I am a bit of a nostalgic guy connected to NBA. Late 80's to late 90's period was just amazing.
                    Last edited by Levenspiel; 02-23-2017, 07:52 PM. Reason: quote box fixed

Comment

Ilyasova traded to Atlanta for Tiago Splitter. Ersan's tour of the United States continues now on his 5th team in the last couple of years. He seemed to fit in well in Philadelphia and was playing well so I don't get it from the 76ers side. Second round draft picks are mostly useless and Splitter is an expiring contract so I don't get it. Ilyasova also on an expiring deal so Atlanta has nothing to lose and I guess can use another rotation player for their playoff push.
                      They will push Saric more, so they are making room. Playing Ersan at SF is a huge liability, so it makes sense in that way. On the other hand, they didn't get much for him. From Atlanta, I would've asked for Bembry, since they prefer Prince over him anyway in the second unit. He would've been an asset to Philly while they rebuild and easy to unload if he fails. On a rookie contract too.

Comment

It seems very likely that Okafor will be dealt with Chicago and Indiana as the front runners. If I am the 76ers I will be very reluctant and selective in any possible deal considering Okafor has upside and is a valuable insurance policy for Embid.

Comment

It's very interesting that Andre Drummond is available. After just signing him to that lucrative contract it seems that the Pistons have soured on him. I remember following last year's first round sweep at the hands of Cleveland Stan Van Gundy talked about how Drummond as the franchise player had to continue to improve his game. A year later surprisingly both his playing time and production have dipped a little.

Comment

I knew he would eventually be traded. The team has to make room for Holmes to get minutes. Still, the return is kind of meh.

It seems very likely that Okafor will be dealt with Chicago and Indiana as the front runners. If I am the 76ers I will be very reluctant and selective in any possible deal considering Okafor has upside and is a valuable insurance policy for Embid.
                            I make that point to Sixers fans all the time. Okafor is the only big they have who could still be effective even when not 100%. That's kind of a big deal when they've all had injury issues more than once.

Comment

It's very interesting that Andre Drummond is available. After just signing him to that lucrative contract it seems that the Pistons have soured on him. I remember following last year's first round sweep at the hands of Cleveland Stan Van Gundy talked about how Drummond as the franchise player had to continue to improve his game. A year later surprisingly both his playing time and production have dipped a little.
                              Him, Okafor, and Monroe have all been hurt by the increasing number of standout bigs. To me the trade that makes the most sense but will never happen is swapping him for Whiteside. Detroit has so much scoring at the forward positions with two ball-dominant players that it makes more sense to have an athletic, quick scoring mostly defensive big whereas it's the complete opposite situation in Miami.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information