Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Major tax evasion scandal from greek basketball team brought to light

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,759
    Country: Greece

    Default Major tax evasion scandal from greek basketball team brought to light

    The team hasn't been named but 3 player cases have surfaced.

    A 35 year-old center playing in the team in seasons 2012-13 and 13-14.
    A 30 year-old 'shooter' in the same period
    A 33 year-old greek center who played for that team in 13-14 and 14-15.

    In all cases, the salaries declared to the IRS had been in the low 6 figures and that was the amount of money directly wired to ther bank accounts by the team, however their bank accounts also had cash deposits in the hundreds of thousands in the same period that can't be explained.

    I will make some wild speculations and say that the team in question is Pao, as they have the audacity to publicly claim expenses of 6-7 million euros in total.
    Then players fitting that description would be Lasme, Bramos and Mavrokefalidis. Mavrokefalidis was apparently playing for 100k per season.

    It will be interesting to follow these news as they unfold.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    Mavrokefalidis was apparently playing for 100k per season.
    Sounds like good business by the management!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Adon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    2,464
    Country: Greece

    Default

    So eager to bitch about the "enemy" that you can't even wait for an official charge against PAO before you share your joy.

    Are you by any chance the anonymous snitch who complained to the authorities?
    Last edited by Adon; 02-14-2017 at 05:00 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,759
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adon View Post
    So eager to bitch about the "enemy" that you can't even wait for an official charge against PAO before you share your joy.

    Are you by any chance the anonymous snitch who complained to the authorities?
    No way, I would have snitched immediately.


    Sites are reporting that a fine of 2700 (!) euros has been imposed on the team and that the case has been closed.
    Oh Greece, don't ever change!

  5. #5
    Senior Member KWSN-Men's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    The team hasn't been named but 3 player cases have surfaced.

    A 35 year-old center playing in the team in seasons 2012-13 and 13-14.
    A 30 year-old 'shooter' in the same period
    A 33 year-old greek center who played for that team in 13-14 and 14-15.

    In all cases, the salaries declared to the IRS had been in the low 6 figures and that was the amount of money directly wired to ther bank accounts by the team, however their bank accounts also had cash deposits in the hundreds of thousands in the same period that can't be explained.

    I will make some wild speculations and say that the team in question is Pao, as they have the audacity to publicly claim expenses of 6-7 million euros in total.
    Then players fitting that description would be Lasme, Bramos and Mavrokefalidis. Mavrokefalidis was apparently playing for 100k per season.

    It will be interesting to follow these news as they unfold.
    Amazing find from Olympiakos sites. A case closed for many years, now comes with "hard facts", without names, only to find out later that the case has been closed. Now, after we learn this is old news, same sites report rumors that the fine was 2700 euro. Again "hard facts".

    On the other hand, Papaloukas, took Angelopoulos bros to the FIBA court, because they had made a fake contract with low salaries and a secret contract with his real salary to avoid taxes and they decided to pay him the fake contract salaries. So he apparently won and they had to pay him 1,75m euro. Olympiakos never paid a fine to the Greek authorities.

    Once again, red propaganda at work.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,759
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWSN-Men View Post
    Amazing find from Olympiakos sites. A case closed for many years, now comes with "hard facts", without names, only to find out later that the case has been closed. Now, after we learn this is old news, same sites report rumors that the fine was 2700 euro. Again "hard facts".

    On the other hand, Papaloukas, took Angelopoulos bros to the FIBA court, because they had made a fake contract with low salaries and a secret contract with his real salary to avoid taxes and they decided to pay him the fake contract salaries. So he apparently won and they had to pay him 1,75m euro. Olympiakos never paid a fine to the Greek authorities.

    Once again, red propaganda at work.
    When Papaloukas was playing for us athletes were barely taxed, the disagreement was between him and the team on money owed to him, not to the state.

    What a sad, embarassing effort at changing the subject.
    Well, I guess when you support crooks you don't have many options.

  7. #7
    Senior Member KWSN-Men's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    When Papaloukas was playing for us athletes were barely taxed, the disagreement was between him and the team on money owed to him, not to the state.

    What a sad, embarassing effort at changing the subject.
    Well, I guess when you support crooks you don't have many options.
    Tax regime changed in 2010, with the law 3842/2010.

    You can download the official transcript from the "Newspaper of the Government" here:

    http://www.et.gr/idocs-nph/search/pd...ceohba8RWrBE4s.

    Papaloukas played at Olympiakos until 2011. So the last year of his contract, the heavier taxation already applied.

    His disagreement was that he signed a fake low money contract so the team could pay less money for taxes but Olympiakos owners were not happy with his performance and decided to pay him only what the fake contract said.

    BTW, I do not support Giannakopoulos in any way. You support crooks though and their propaganda.

    PS: According to Olympiakos owners and fans, you lost the 2011 championship due to the refs. Except when you were going to pay Papaloukas, when you lost because of him.

    http://www.rednews.gr/%CF%83%CF%84%C...0%CE%B9%CE%B1/

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    27
    Country: Greece

    Default

    We all understand that something fishy is happening in PAO budget. No sane person can possibly believe that PAO turned a 1.4 million euro profit and that its budget is as low as it is stated in the tax results form.
    Since as a country we are burned from such things (rich avoiding paying taxes while pensioners and low income people bleed) no sane person should defend such practices.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Johnny7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    909
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    We all understand that something fishy is happening in PAO budget. No sane person can possibly believe that PAO turned a 1.4 million euro profit and that its budget is as low as it is stated in the tax results form.
    Since as a country we are burned from such things (rich avoiding paying taxes while pensioners and low income people bleed) no sane person should defend such practices.
    So true. But these pao 'fans' don't give a shit about the country. Only about their falling team. I want to see both Greek teams in f4 but the sad pao fans don't want to see us there.

    The president of pao never pays taxes but is still out there getting expensive players and having tax debts. WHY IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •