Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: EuroBasket prediction 2017

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    I tried to listen to his vloggs about basketball

Although entertaining, they are extremely biased and very rarely objective. Also some things he said are plain ridiculous

All that aside, I don't think that the absences will be that harsh. Bear in mind that Djordjevic when he comes calling and you decline that might end your NT career. He is that kind of coach, and I think to many of them NT is an extremely important item on the calendar. So, I think that Teo and Bogdan will play if healthy for sure. Jokic as well. Bjelica and Jovic are a ? for me as well.

Bear in mind that there is no clause in the contract (it is illegal) that can forbid a player to play in the international competition for their country. Sure the team can pressure a player, but it is 100% down to a player to decide. Also bear in mind that we can provide them insurance if necessary (which it is not, all of them are under contract or will get a NBA team before the Eurobasket).
    Easy to say, but put yourself in their position. Would you really want to go against the wishes of your employer who decides whether to invest 10's of millions of dollars into you. With Jokic it we could be talking a ~$200 million decision in 2019! Just to play in a meaningless free tournament for the sake of nationalism?

It is a very difficult decision to go play if your NBA club has made it clear it doesn't want you to. I would be very careful about my decision and only play if a) I was locked into a long term deal or b) my club team was supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by vuxsa View Post
    One very popular Serbian youtube vlogger (Tech&Sport, Stefan Pavicevic) expressed genuine skepticism about Serbian roster. Jokic possibly out (NBA), Teodosic, Bogdanovic under question mark due to possible 'recommendation' from NBA clubs not to play as both (at least Bogdanovic for sure) are crossing the ocean. Jovic and Bjelica also unknown due to injuries. Serbia can withstand absence of one-two players (even Jokic), but not too many - if we're going to be a legit gold medal contender.
    Everyone except maybe Bjelica will play, you will see
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Easy to say, but put yourself in their position. Would you really want to go against the wishes of your employer who decides whether to invest 10's of millions of dollars into you. With Jokic it we could be talking a ~$200 million decision in 2019! Just to play in a meaningless free tournament for the sake of nationalism?

It is a very difficult decision to go play if your NBA club has made it clear it doesn't want you to. I would be very careful about my decision and only play if a) I was locked into a long term deal or b) my club team was supportive.
    Actually you need to get a better perspective of importance of NT to players coming from this part of the world. It's something that most Americans and Canadians will never understand. Do you know that Stojakovic is not even considered a top 5 player in Serbia, since the breakup? He clearly is, but people don't see it that way. He passed on the NT way too many times. The heroes of the nation, and all of these guys when they were starting basketball were Djordjevic, Bodiroga etc. So, yes it is a big fucking deal.

The money issue is actually in the favor of the player, they have a chance to choose where they will play. Especially, if you are a European player. How many international player maintain residence in the USA after their playing career? Not that many. In case of the Serbians, nobody except Vlade. The fact that he will make 200 here, 150 there etc is not an issue. If they make one fifth of that, they are set for life back home or wherever they choose to go. They have a bit of a different upbringing compared to USA, they don't see the size of the contract as the measure of a players worth. He will be a wanted commodity everywhere so he has all the bargaining power. He just needs to say, I am playing and you figure the rest out. Also the NT would accommodate him arriving a bit later for the preparations as well. Pau Gasol always came calling for Spain, and it never damaged his career. It won't damage Jokic either. All he needs to do is speak his mind.

Bear in mind that kids growing up here, playing basketball are not dreaming so much of playing for the Bulls or Lakers, NBA Finals. Their dreams are mostly related to wearing the NT jersey, gold medals and going at it with Team USA, sticking it to the Greeks and Spaniards and Italians etc. That is where the glory and legacy is created. Is this an objective approach? Of course it is not. It's all about passion but like most of the things that are important to us in life, we show passion for them and that is why we make them important to ourselves. This is why the NT matters to our players and fans. That was never the case in USA. No kid dreams of Olympics in basketball or etc. That's why most the people don't understand this...
    Gangbanga from Palanga!

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    Do you know that Stojakovic is not even considered a top 5 player in Serbia, since the breakup? He clearly is, but people don't see it that way. He passed on the NT way too many times. The heroes of the nation, and all of these guys when they were starting basketball were Djordjevic, Bodiroga etc.
    I am surprised to hear that about Stojakovic considering he played 4 straight years on the National team between 2000-2003 including being a key piece on two championship teams during that run. I guess 2004 Olympics and 2005 eurobasket are the skips you are referring to. Basically nobody played for Serbia at '06 Worlds and after that he was no longer the player he was earlier in his career. So for his star NBA years from 2001-2004 he participated 3 out of 4 summers.

Couldn't agree more about the American perspective. It has always been and always be about winning an NBA title and the Olympic gold medal is secondary and of course it is the other way around to the rest of the world. But I would argue that when it comes to hockey in Canada it's a little different. Wearing the team Canada colors for Olympic events and historically going all the way back to Canada Cups against the Soviets was always a huge deal to them. Not quite as big as winning the Stanley Cup but really close. So I think they do understand a lot more than American Nba players and fans.
    Last edited by usagre; Yesterday at 01:02 AM.

Since '95 I guess I would pick these 6 as the best Serbian players in no particular order:
    Divac, Stojakovic, Bodiroga, Danilovic, Teodosic and Djordjevic.
    If you look at national team hardware it's Bodiroga and then everyone else.

Bodiroga. 5 golds, 1 silver, 7 total semifinals.
    Djordjevic. 3 golds, 1 silver
    Vlade. 2 golds, 1 silver 4 total semis
    Danilovic. Same as Vlade
    Stojakovic. 2 golds
    Teodosic. 3 silvers, 5 total semis

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    I am surprised to hear that about Stojakovic considering he played 4 straight years on the National team between 2000-2003 including being a key piece on two championship teams during that run. I guess 2004 Olympics and 2005 eurobasket are the skips you are referring to. Basically nobody played for Serbia at '06 Worlds and after that he was no longer the player he was earlier in his career. So for his star NBA years from 2001-2004 he participated 3 out of 4 summers.

Couldn't agree more about the American perspective. It has always been and always be about winning an NBA title and the Olympic gold medal is secondary and of course it is the other way around to the rest of the world. But I would argue that when it comes to hockey in Canada it's a little different. Wearing the team Canada colors for Olympic events and historically going all the way back to Canada Cups against the Soviets was always a huge deal to them. Not quite as big as winning the Stanley Cup but really close. So I think they do understand a lot more than American Nba players and fans.
    Like I said, it's not fair to Pedja. When he was on the top of the game and came to play for NT, he usually performed at a very high level and always played hard. Still the fact that people got to see him about 3-4 years in the NT and during the same Sacramento prime, ruined his legacy. He was also always a bit standoffish towards embracing that NT mantra and being active in Serbia etc (at least in the media). That kind of gave the people a feeling that he doesn't care so much, and that he is now content to be in the USA and NBA and nothing else matters. It's just the way it is here, but I agree it's not fair towards him.

Bear in mind that 2005 really killed the NT for half a decade. That was a complete and total organizational failure that was 100% fault of Obradovic and his staff. Then he did the most cowardly thing ever for a coach, he threw his players under the bus at a huge press conference rant. Calling them bad people, irresponsible etc. Regardless if that was true (mostly true, the team was destroyed in a divided locker room between Rakocevic and Jaric and the people who took their sides. We have wasted 5 years of prime of Rakocevic, Jaric, Radmanovic, Gurovic etc... That team had a lot of talent also with young and athletic Krstic, Rebraca was veteran presence, Milojevic was in his prime under the hoop as well.

Until Ivkovic came back to bring the NT mantra, it was a tough 4 years after that. With arrival of Djordjevic, the NT improtance is as high as it was during the Ex-Yu and first post-war years. There is a lot of enthusiasm. So now it will be even harder for players to say no.
    Gangbanga from Palanga!

Since '95 I guess I would pick these 6 as the best Serbian players in no particular order:

Danilovic. Same as Vlade
    Stojakovic. 2 golds
    You are missing the bronze in 1999 Euros for most of those older guys. A huge underrated silverware guy is Tomasevic. He has the same amount as Bodiroga

Mostly I agree with the 6 players you have mentioned. I would give honorary mention to Krstic who was a key NT clog from 2005 to 2014. For a decade he was always dependable and the best player on the roster until Teodosic took over that mantle in 2010 I think. He gave so much to the NT and he played at a very high level. He wasn't always surrounded with best talent, since people cancelled on the NT like crazy in the 2005-2009 era but he was a one stable presence and he played at a high level in NBA as well.

I know that we said 1995 and after but I gotta put in another funky silverware thing for you. Do you know that Djordjevic has a bronze from 1987 Euros He played only a blowout against Romania where he put up 20 points and the Bronze Medal game vs Spain where he had 8 He was 19, almost 20 at that time and already showing flashes of the future. Then came the infamous fight with Drazen in 1987/88 game between Partizan and Cibona. Drazen woved to kick him out of the NT and of course with Drazen being a god at that time in the NT, he was never called up for the 1988-1991 Yugo NT tournaments where he absolutely belonged.
    Last edited by CoachZ; Yesterday at 11:20 AM.
    Gangbanga from Palanga!

Yeah I saw a lot of Krstic with the Nets. He was real scoring threat down low and played well in the playoffs. It appeared he was gonna be a top big man in the league for years to come. He was a different player after his injury, solid but his performance leveled out.

The biggest drawback of Serbia team that they no longer have such distinguished intellects and disciplined as the players had previously, is now pressing them firmly in defense they start playing illogical and such famous players as Teodosić whether Bogdanovic, is beginning to undermine the team.

With all due respect to the Serbian national team, I do not think that they will play in the finals, I feel very good result would be a top-4, even in a group, they may still have problems with the Latvia national team, because it's very progressive.

Too bad Tomašević was stopped by injuries, at his peak he was scary. I might be biased, but at his peak, I'd pick him over Krstić for example.
    One of my all time favourites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Quote Originally Posted by G&B View Post
    The biggest drawback of Serbia team that they no longer have such distinguished intellects and disciplined as the players had previously, is now pressing them firmly in defense they start playing illogical and such famous players as Teodosić whether Bogdanovic, is beginning to undermine the team.

With all due respect to the Serbian national team, I do not think that they will play in the finals, I feel very good result would be a top-4, even in a group, they may still have problems with the Latvia national team, because it's very progressive.
    I disagree on that front. We are less talented than the great teams of the 90s we had that is sure, but the intelligence is there for sure and bear in mind that in the last 3 tournaments this generation has won all the tough games except that one vs Lithuania in the last Eurobasket. Undermining the team, that is pretty much wishful thinking.

Whether we will play in the finals depends on many things. The reason that we will fail to reach the final or get a medal will not be talent for sure. The roster is loaded, especially compared to other contenders. Spain and Serbia are a cut above others...
    Gangbanga from Palanga!

That's just his opinion, Pedja is a legend, when he was playing in Sacramento , Serbia didn't sleep at night

Danilovic. Same as Vlade
    Stojakovic. 2 golds
    Its not like Bodiroga won those medals by himself , he played with the bunch of Serbian legends , Divac,Rebraca,Stojakovic,Danilovic,Djordjevic etc.

Quote Originally Posted by G&B View Post

Yeah right, we played in two biggest finals in the last five years , only to lose to US, actually our defense was stellar in the knockout stages, we were able to break down our opponents with it . If we can bring all our best players to eurobasket, we will be in the top 3 for sure, lol at Latvia thing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456