X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EuroBasket prediction 2017

Let's count down contenders:

1. SPAIN. A bit reluctantly and with some doubts I'm saying Spain is still No.1 to win it all. No other NT has the depth and champs vibe like Spain. Obviously Pau used to be the guarantee of success for them and it's hard to expect him to be there, but they do have options. If they will pack one of the Gasols, they're good to go with guys like Llull, Redriguez, Rubio and Hernangomez will give them size and toughness under the boards as well. Probably most vulnerable in years, but I simply can't put anyone else in the first place.

2. SERBIA. Coherence, Teo, upcoming super talent Jokič and the recent success. Serbia poised to contend.

3. FRANCE. New post-Parker era upcoming. Gobert, Seraphin, Lauvergne (and still Diaw?) will be a tough frontcourt to handle, all glued by De Colo and Batum. Wouldn't they lack true leadership though.

4. CROATIA. A bit unpopular pick as Croatia yet to establish as a true winner, powerhouse, but they are coming and it was obvious in OG. Bogdanovic, Hezonja, Saric, Simon all are ready for big games and likely Bender might already see some minutes. Croatia is a bit shaky, but if Bogdanovic and Saric will play BIG Croatia can expect good things to come.

5. LITHUANIA. Finalists of 2 previous Eurobaskets won't be easy to handle as always. I expect most of the players to come as next 2018 is a window. Lekavicius and Grigonis should shake calm backourt waters hopefully. Sabonis and Kuzminskas poised for bigger role and a possible trump card - Motiejunas.

6. GREECE. A bit out of the map recently long year powerhouse. Still extremely deep team which struggled to succeed has one of the most explosive players in the word (Greek Freak) and eager to get back on track. They should re-establish identity. Winning identity.

7. ITALY. Used to be half a step from the glory last few years. If they will pack all best players, should be among contenders again. Yet Italy might be a bit irritated with all those loses, some players collapsing mentally (Gentille). Fast to play big and to crash I suppose.

And things get complicated...very complicated...

8. TURKEY. I must go with Turkey. They are host and respectable team which had success at home before. Turkey recently had great success at youth category, yet they are about to build almost entirely new core and unfortunately for them they won't have Kanter as a guy to go. The question is - do they have ripped material to fight for big things.

9. LATVIA. Underrated team which potentially might pack Porzingis. But he's not the only one to shine - Davis Bertans is a heck of an athletic stretch 4. Latvia one of the dark horses of the EB.

10. SLOVENIA. Recent 17yo sensation Doncic linked with Goran Dragic. Sounds pretty good. Couple of other solid guards. Permanently underperforming Slovenia opens new page with new BB prodigy. They need a whole bunch, whole core including competitive frontline to realistically compete for high though.

11. GEORGIA. Another underrated team which can cause a lot of trouble. Great starting 5, but a bit short bench. Pachulia is good as ever

12. RUSSIA. To low? Probably, but they used to be a mess. Can they collect all their best player and to bounce back?It's a test for Kirlilenko as a president of federation. They might be a powerhouse, but they are so out of the map now. They need to gather them selves mentally in the first place and to clean the mess inside.

13. CZECH REPUBLIC. Satoransky and Vesely. Could be a pain in the ass again, just like in 2015 EB.

14. POLAND. Gortat, Lampe, Karnowski. Solid roster, solid team. I doubt they would go anywhere far though.

15-17, FINLAND. UKRAINE, BELGIUM. Teams which had some surprising success recently. No idea if they can keep it up. Specially Finland. Ukraine might be pretty good if Alex Len and all players show up. The same with Belgium which has some solid athletic backourt.

18. GERMANY. Another team looking forward to a new era. Maybe first steps to the bright future. Paul Zipser, Schröder and plenty of youngs.

19. MONTENEGRO. Vucevic and Co. Pekovic unfortunately retiring from basketball. However it's rather competitive Balkan team.

20. ISRAEL. Hosts. High expectations. Tough group. The only true international name Casspi. Tough task.

21. GREAT BRITAIN. No idea what kind of team do they bring. Might be way too low or absolutely spot on as a non-basketball country.

22-24. HUNGARY. ROMANIA. ICELAND.
    Last edited by Straight forward; 02-07-2017, 03:36 PM.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
    8. TURKEY. I must go with Turkey. They are host and respectable team which had success at home before. Turkey recently had great success at youth category, yet they are about to build almost entirely new core and unfortunately for them they won't have Kanter as a guy to go. The question is - do they have ripped material to fight for big things.

22-24. HUNGARY. ROMANIA. ICELAND.
    Quite optimistic prediction for Turkey, thanks. I don't even know if we can field a decent 12-men roster. Maybe they can start building on upcoming talents like Ulubay, Gecim etc, but the new coach, Ufuk Sarica, does not give me much hope.

Hungary on the other hand could fare a bit better, they came with 6-0 from the qualies on top of previous EuroBasket teams G.Britain and MKD. But I doubt they can push out any of Czech Rep or Montenegro for the first 4 places.

For a better evaluation, we should consider the composition of the groups.

Group A: France, Greece, Slovenia, Finland*, Poland, Iceland
    Group B: Lithuania, Italy, Germany, Ukraine, Israel*,Georgia
    Group B: Spain, Croatia, Czech Rep, Montenegro, Hungary, Romania*
    Group D: Serbia, Russia, Turkey*, Latvia, Great Britain, Belgium
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
      but the new coach, Ufuk Sarica, does not give me much hope.
      why is that?
      he is not a hyped coach but he is doing a good job with his teams.
      his teams are playing good looking team basketball.
      I have a high oppinnion about him, would put him above any other turkish coach at the moment.
      "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Wouldn't a power ranking be more interesting than the final predictions? We often see top teams being eliminated in prior to the semi's, but that's mostly because of the competition system. The end result says quite little of the team. Unless the team is Champion.
        So here it goes:

1.Spain They were clearly the best team aside from the USA last year. I expect them to be the same this year.
        2.Serbia A full roster and a good average age, but more importantly, they have become accustomed in playing together for a couple of seasons now.
        3.France Tony Parker may not be part of the team, but that doesn't necessarily have to be bad. Still a lot of talent for France.

4.Greece They were eliminated in the OQT last year against the Croats, but Greece missed some key players. I can't help but think that with Printezis, Papanikolaou, Sloukas and Pappas they have the potential to be somewhat better that last year.
        5. Italy It's obvious the Italians are coming back again in the word stage of basketball. They can make the QF no matter what. Then they can beat anyone on any given day. I ranked them fifth, but they can go even further.
        6. Croatia During the OQT they gained some good momentum after beating Greece and Italy. But they will have to repeat the good results at least one more summer if I were to consider Croatia more than top 6 material.
        7. Lithuania Like every non-Lithuanian I always underestimate these guys so they can reach the final once again.

^^The above four teams are more or less on par with each other.

8. Germany Ze Germans are slowly maturing in the game of basketball. Even without an uber-player like Nowitzki.
        9. Turkey Surely they will be far better than 9th since they play at home. Semi finals are quite likely. But roster wise they are on par with Russia and Germany.
        10. Russia Probably getting a bit stronger again.

11. Belgium Not quite as strong as the above teams, but not far from it either. The Belgians have invested in their team for quite some years now.
        12. Slovena
        13. Finland
        14. Montenegro
        15. CZ
        16. Israel
        17. How many teams are playing nowadays? Let's leave it here.

An extra note. Aside from the rankings, all teams are closer to each other than ever. Especially 4 to 12.
        PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
          Wouldn't a power ranking be more interesting than the final predictions?
          I guess it doesn't really matter now, one way or another now it looks like not some ranking for 2017 tournament, but pure power ranking of European NTs As this Eurobasket is the first one in modern era, which isn't qualifier to any major tournament, none can say how teams will look like in September. I simply have no clue how players will react to it, I just hope it won't turn into another withdrawal fest like 2013 or even bigger. So personally I'll wait atleast till summer to think about mine ranking, too unpredictable situation now IMO

Comment

yet no one knows, what the players come to the championship

Comment

Sarıca had a lot of success with Karşıyaka and now coaching an overachieving Beşiktaş. The only thing scares me is about him is how he treated Güven in Karşıyaka. Right now we need to adapt and develop youngsters in NT such as Ulubay, Yurtseven, Geçim, Taşkıran, Özdemiroğlu, Koşut. I hope he does that instead of playing the old guys. I know he plays good in Beşiktaş with him but for example I don`t want to see Muratcan Güler in NT. That`s my only worry. I think this competition should be where we give keys of the NT to Osman-Korkmaz-Ulubay core. Ant similar to 2006 world cup we can overachieve with players who just want to prove themselves

Comment

There is no known final composition of the teams,so it is hard to talk about , but there is a national teams which has a lot of high deep rotation players, and in any case, the fight for the medals are: Spain, Lithuania, France maybe even Serbia. The following is a teams that can achieve high results if you have all of your best basketballs players are: Greece, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy and Latvia. Other teams practically not have chance.

(Team Lists the groups in random order)

Comment

Originally posted by G&B View Post
                  but there is a national teams which has a lot of high deep rotation players, and in any case, the fight for the medals are: Spain, Lithuania, France maybe even Serbia.
                  Maybe even Serbia... Cool story bro.
                  LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                  Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                  Buzelis, Lelevicius
                  Murauskas, Sirvydis
                  Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

I would not be surprised to see an all jugobasket final at Eurobasket 2017
                    cigarafterten.com - italian basketball & other stories

Comment

Originally posted by cigarafterten View Post
                      I would not be surprised to see an all jugobasket final at Eurobasket 2017

I think a real chance of 1-5%:

Serbia - Croatia 5%
                      Serbia Slovenian 3%
                      Croatia - Slovenia 1%

Comment

I believe this eurobasket someone from Greece /Italy gonna win a medal.They choke so many times , its time when they will get some luck in playoffs.Other main semifinal contenders will be same teams from 2013-2016 period.

Comment

Serbia clear favorite. And not because it's my team, but it's just a fact. Interesting article on Serbian B92 portal yesterday going about sweet torment of coach Djordjevic's pending decisions on C position. Deep rotation on practically all positions.
                          Anyhow lots of things depending on the response of players and injury lists. For us, things at this moment look fine - all players seem to be willing to play. I really hope that players from all NTs will respond and compete in last tournament before 2 year pause. If that happens, than Serbia, Spain, France and Greece for me are top contenders (as said I give edge to Serbia). From second row, Lithuania, Croatia and maybe Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by vuxsa View Post
                            For us, things at this moment look fine - all players seem to be willing to play. .
                            Marković left the NT so your statement is not true.
                            "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Originally posted by Picek View Post
                              Marković left the NT so your statement is not true.
                              Yes I know he left. Markovic told he's done, so I don't count hum to the roster. Out of players who are to be counted, all seem to be willing to play. Markovic will be missed with his tremendeous deffensive skills and solid clutch performanse, but Teo, Jovic and Nedovic can cover PG with ease.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information