This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Victorious View Post
    I like the fact of how the Spanish Federation reacted when some NBA players decided to skip one summer. They were all benched the next tournament.
    Give me the specifics. I remember Pau Gasol skipping 2010 world championships because he wanted to rest but I don't remember him being benched.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• @Victorious
      Did you hold it against Diamantidis when he retired from the National team at age 30 with 6 years of high level club basketball play still in front of him ? Did he not value National team play to your standards ? Wouldn't he have played an enormous role for Greece in qualifying for 2012 Olympics and the 2014 World Cup team ? He represented his country on the senior level for 7 summers. Guys like LeBron James (5 summers) and other Americans who value national team play about 1% the amount that Greek players do have almost put in the same amount of time. Isn't this an outrage ?

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
        @Victorious
        Did you hold it against Diamantidis when he retired from the National team at age 30 with 6 years of high level club basketball play still in front of him ? Did he not value National team play to your standards ? Wouldn't he have played an enormous role for Greece in qualifying for 2012 Olympics and the 2014 World Cup team ? He represented his country on the senior level for 7 summers. Guys like LeBron James (5 summers) and other Americans who value national team play about 1% the amount that Greek players do have almost put in the same amount of time. Isn't this an outrage ?
        Yes, I still do dislike the fact that Diamantidis retired at 30. It is unacceptable and always will be. He will be remembered in Greece as the player who retired at 30.
        I can imagine a player deciding to skip one tournament at 30. But not retiring. He did a lot for the Greek team, which is appreciated. But deep inside something is lacking. Still, he was 30 and there was a tournament every summer. Next year there is no tournament and Antetokoumpo is only 22. I know he is becoming a superstar, but that's no excuse. No one is above of the national team. The ones who are saying that Giannis did not loose support in Greece are delusional. Everyone I talked to thinks otherwise.

Also, what the American players do is not relevant. The whole point is that their philosophy of playing for the NT does not infect other NTs.
        PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Victorious View Post
          Yes, I still do dislike the fact that Diamantidis retired at 30. It is unacceptable and always will be. He will be remembered in Greece as the player who retired at 30.
          I can imagine a player deciding to skip one tournament at 30. But not retiring. He did a lot for the Greek team, which is appreciated. But deep inside something is lacking. Still, he was 30 and there was a tournament every summer. Next year there is no tournament and Antetokoumpo is only 22. I know he is becoming a superstar, but that's no excuse. No one is above of the national team. The ones who are saying that Giannis did not loose support in Greece are delusional. Everyone I talked to thinks otherwise.
          Fair enough you are consistent.

Comment

• I think moving forward to the next Eurobasket in 2021 and beyond this tournament will take an even greater hit and it will result in even more high profile absences. With the new Fiba format I can easily see players making two year commitments for World Cup and Olympics and with the following summer always resulting in a Eurobasket I think that this is where they will draw the line and not participate in a third consecutive tournament. So basically for the most part you'll see 2 years off followed by World Cup and Olympics. But we'll see if I am right in Eurobasket 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by R1ou View Post
              He didn't lose any support, these people who attacked him after skipping just one tournament are a disgrace for the sport and don't deserve to have such a player representing them.
              Of course he lost support. Speaking for myself, I don't think I 'attacked' him but I won't act like I'm naive either. And I certainy won't parrot the narrative pushed by the media that he, an all-star and a franchise player, was pushed around by the Bucks who without him go back to being nothing.

Also, I don't see how getting checked by Bucks staff in China and making it public through instagram isn't the idgaf equivalent of a dad going out for cigarettes and returning 20 years later. At the very least they could hold the exam in Athens so our staff could also see the kind of pain he's been hiding. Wouldn't that resolve the misunderstanding pretty fast?

And we don't have such a player representing us so I guess we are getting what we deserve in the end.

Comment

• If he is getting that sort of abuse on twitter konjak mentioned (if it's true , i do not know ), maybe you don't deserve him . Why would he ever want to represent Greece again ?
                And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

• Originally posted by auris1 View Post
                  If he is getting that sort of abuse on twitter konjak mentioned (if it's true , i do not know ), maybe you don't deserve him . Why would he ever want to represent Greece again ?
                  I agree. Also seems like Jon Konkak post was deleted and I didn't see anything offensive in it whatsoever. Not cool.

Comment

If he is getting that sort of abuse on twitter konjak mentioned (if it's true , i do not know ), maybe you don't deserve him . Why would he ever want to represent Greece again ?
                    I didn't see the post either so I don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

• i deleted the post cause i dont want to turn it into politics..but yes there were plenty of abusive racist tweets towards him by greeks.propably golden dawn fans but not only them.

Comment

He's and will be there because he wants to, otherwise he'd never play for Greece after getting drafted by the Bucks.
                        1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
                          i deleted the post cause i dont want to turn it into politics..but yes there were plenty of abusive racist tweets towards him by greeks.propably golden dawn fans but not only them.
                          Ok good that's a different story. My apologies to the moderators.

Comment

Cry me a river. That's the whole point. If he doesn't want to. He shouldn't. If he would be playing for a team in the EL like his teammates in the NT, he would play. Regarding a minor injury. This indicates that he is getting a different kind of treatment. I mean, how could he miss preparation for a publicity stunt in China. This is corrosive for the NT chemistry. The Bucks have totally disrespected the Greek federation. If they wanted to, they could have come to Greece to do the tests.

Perhaps from now on we should call him the Bucks freak instead of the Greek freak.
                            PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

• You guys losing your mind because he couldn't take part in the tournament, that's totally insane.
                              1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by R1ou View Post
                                You guys losing your mind because he couldn't take part in the tournament, that's totally insane.
                                Why would I be losing my mind over something I predicted more than a week ago? That doesn't make any sense.

If anything, my ability to reason was shown to be quite robust.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information