No announcement yet.

2017 SEABA Championship (Senior & U16 Men) | May 12 - 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I truly admire the effort and determination of our southeast asian buddies to improve and be good in basketball.

but sorry, i have said and will say this this time and time again, a serious and determined Gilas National Team with or without a naturalized player will always beat and will never be beaten by a south east asian team (even India for discussions sake). I am sorry that is the reality of the game. It would take decades and a paradigm shift for Gilas to be beaten. and actually Gilas will beat them by a wide margin (20 at least). Now a Junior Gilas cadet team is a different ballgame. what I am talking about is the Seniors Gilas Team.

But, a serious and determined and well-prepared Cadets/College Gilas National Team will also beat any Southeast asian nation but is also beatable (but is very difficult to pull off).

Comment

I can't blame some posters here of being wary of India.

If my memory serves me right, I think India put up a good fight against Gilas-2 in 2014 FIBA-Asia Cup. In 2015 FIBA Asia Championships, India kept the game within reach against Gilas-3 before the latter tore the game wide open in the 4th quarter.

If we play our normal game and india plays its normal game, I'm confident we will beat India by around 15 to 20 pts. The problem is, we can't always play our normal game. If india catches us in our off-night and the indians get their confidence as they keep the game close, then they will have the chance to score an upset.

I think the key to beat the Indians is to break the game wide open right from the get go. And that could be achieved by giving them defensive pressure right from the start. Pressure their ball handlers and challenge their outside shooters to prevent them from getting their shooting rhythm. Mahirap na kasi kung magpapapasok yung mga awkward na tira nila sa labas. They will gain their confidence.

Despite of their improvement in the last few years, the Indians are still technically deficient, in particular, their ball handling skills. The idea of constant defensive pressure on their ball carriers is to force them into turn-overs which could lead to easy transition points. If we can get an early comfortable lead, then I think the Indians will be out of the game.
      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Originally posted by bballcrazy View Post
        I hope we can see Stefan Nguyen and Horace Nguyen of saigon heat in the viet national team. Justin young is also another intriguing player. I look forward to see if they can play on the same level of say Singapore or Malaysia with these new players and added experience in the VBA.
        are they eligible? that'd be awesome. hope to see Bassey and Lamb for thailand too.
        The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

Revisit Hagop Rule for a more competitive ASEAN competition

The ASEAN Basketball region will become more interesting if the hagop rule will allow foreign born, asian blood in particular to represent their ASEAN countries.

In Asia level, I think, the whole of asia will be more competitive as there are a lot of foreign born indians, middle easterners, koreans, taiwanese, japanese, and chinese. with these, I think the whole asia tournament can be able to compete with the european league in after a few years or after a decade.

So I hope the powers can be can help open the discussion for revision of the hagop rule once more

Comment

Originally posted by #labapilipinas View Post
            This is actually India's super secret weapon:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]9536[/ATTACH]
            Is he still india's head coach?
            Gilas Pilipinas

Dallas Mavericks

UST Growling Tigers

Comment

whoops..

Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

India is like a sleeping giant. Their economy is booming, and with it higher expectations and need for recognition. Sports success can deliver that. Aside from that, they have more than a billion in population so their selection pool is large. Not to mention they are also fairly tall. They also have a lot of migrants, NCAA div 1 players with Indian descent are not rare.

Having said that, the Philippines can beat them even without Blatche.

However, when they do decide to care and "wake up," their ascension will be rapid. They can easily become an Iran with much more 7-footers.

Comment

^
                  Agree, another threat if they put their act together (they currently have no existing program) are pacific island countries like Tonga and Samoa (includes America Samoa) , there are a lot of pacific decent players currently playing in the US NCAA and other pro leagues. I'm confident if you formed a team of the best Tongan players, they could beat any none Filipino team in SEA.
                  NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                  https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

Originally posted by monsoonxvi View Post
                    India is like a sleeping giant. Their economy is booming, and with it higher expectations and need for recognition. Sports success can deliver that. Aside from that, they have more than a billion in population so their selection pool is large. Not to mention they are also fairly tall. They also have a lot of migrants, NCAA div 1 players with Indian descent are not rare.

Having said that, the Philippines can beat them even without Blatche.

However, when they do decide to care and "wake up," their ascension will be rapid. They can easily become an Iran with much more 7-footers.
                    This emergence has been looming since the sixties.... it's been half a century since and the logic of doomsayers remain to this day, false and without merit whatsoever!

Check these names... Sunil Panda, Oza Kirti, Oum Prakash Dul (I might have butchered the last two).

I can see that there might be some figment of truth in these declarations, however little they should seem to be... but if one looks to the game of cricket as an indicator, then sound the alarm no more, the switch for the national past time in India will never happen, so shall the shift in logistics and numbers to favor an ascension of basketball in place of cricket will too, shall never happen.

It's like predicting that we will be a powerhouse in soccer since we now enjoy a tremendous supply or influx of Fil Euros that have bloodlines that trace to soccer as its primary sport. Will it replace the Filipinos love and passion for Gilas and the national past time of hoops?

Answer is no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam (a.k.a.) Tuwid View Post
                      This emergence has been looming since the sixties.... it's been half a century since and the logic of doomsayers remain to this day, false and without merit whatsoever!

Check these names... Sunil Panda, Oza Kirti, Oum Prakash Dul (I might have butchered the last two).

I can see that there might be some figment of truth in these declarations, however little they should seem to be... but if one looks to the game of cricket as an indicator, then sound the alarm no more, the switch for the national past time in India will never happen, so shall the shift in logistics and numbers to favor an ascension of basketball in place of cricket will too, shall never happen.

It's like predicting that we will be a powerhouse in soccer since we now enjoy a tremendous supply or influx of Fil Euros that have bloodlines that trace to soccer as its primary sport. Will it replace the Filipinos love and passion for Gilas and the national past time of hoops?

Answer is no.
                      Basketball (and any sport for that matter) need not be the no. 1 sport for a country to become regional or even global contenders. European and South American countries (where football is a religion) have proven this, even beating nba-backed American teams in the open era.

So yes, India has the population base, the body build (tall and burly), and more and more the economic strength, to contend in the Asian and world levels in basketball. It may take another decade or so, but if iran can do it, i don't see any reason why india wouldn't.
                      Dead Lizard.

Comment

• Originally posted by patay-butiki View Post
                        Basketball (and any sport for that matter) need not be the no. 1 sport for a country to become regional or even global contenders. European and South American countries (where football is a religion) have proven this, even beating nba-backed American teams in the open era.

So yes, India has the population base, the body build (tall and burly), and more and more the economic strength, to contend in the Asian and world levels in basketball. It may take another decade or so, but if iran can do it, i don't see any reason why india wouldn't.
                        India has been with FIBA longer than Iran, they've not done it, the will is not there.. you're talking a decade or so... I say a century or two may not even be sufficient for India to beat us on a consistent basis. Just the way it is. Just like we won't beat them in cricket.

By the way, an Indian national team beat our national team by 48 or so points before, special circumstances, maybe some 30 odd years ago. So it has already happened, but with permanence? Centuries... don't sell our basketball genes short especially now that our ballers themselves are likewise getting big, gaining in size, gaining more skilll without losing their knack for the sport.
                        Last edited by Sam (a.k.a.) Tuwid; 03-30-2017, 12:18 AM.

Comment

This is actually true, what one has to consider isn't whether basketball has become one of India's major sports but if basketball in the country has grown in participation popularity relative to what it was previously. A lot of countries New Zealand as an example have had recent significant growth in participation in the sport because of a recent breakthrough at an elite level by a local person ( In NZ case Steven Adams in the NBA) , not sure what it would be for India ( Maybe the NBA owner or a few NBA D- league players of Indian decent) . Point is if participation % of a 1 billion population just incrementally grows say by 10 % that's huge and could totally change their competitive level internationally, not saying the sport will be a major sport in India or that they will overtake the Philippines but that they simply would become more of a threat
                          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

Even for USA, basketball is not their no.1 sport. It is arguably the 3rd most popular only behind no.1 american football and no.2 baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballcrazy View Post
                              Even for USA, basketball is not their no.1 sport. It is arguably the 3rd most popular only behind no.1 american football and no.2 baseball.
                              even here in australia, basketball is not no. 1 sport. Soccer is. surprisingly rugby is not no. 1 sport..

it's all about good sports program.. Tried and tested sports program to each sports.. Basic thing, search for talent join them at sports club help them grow if they're good get him/her to state games and eventually the country at youth levels then to pro level.. Sponsorship is not a problem.. That separates if you want an AIS style in Philippines.
                              Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Having played against the best high school programmes in the Philippines , I actually came out impressed with the quality level of technical expertise in local high school basketball. However I came away with a few observations that doesn’t benefit the development of quality international players. One is the how official’s call the game which allows for a lot of hand checking contrary to international norms, two is because of the lack in general height a lot of players become too dribble drive focus to the detriment of developing outside shooting and simple ball movement. Basketball in Philippine high schools is extremely professional and technical in nature in comparison to an average foreign high school. It’s what happens after high school that I think is the problem. As the size of players and style of play become extremely inclusive to local basketball and winning, developing prospects for international basketball takes a back seat, furthermore the collegiate environment doesn’t expose players to what is typically the size and style that one would typically face internationally.
                                It is for this reason that despite the high level of technical play designed for local basketball competitiveness in Philippine high school and maybe even college, that high level doesn’t translate to being competitive internationally.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information