TNT to train in San Antonio Spurs camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNT to train in San Antonio Spurs camp

CLEVELAND - San Antonio director of pro player personnel Dell Demps said the other day Talk ‘N' Text will train with the four-time NBA champion Spurs in the Alamo City in August and Phone Pals coach Derick Pumaren is finalizing the details of the two-week camp.

Demps played as an import for Pepsi in 1992 and Shell in 1994. He keeps in close touch with Pumaren and has visited Manila at least twice since finishing his PBA career.

Talk ‘N' Text is the first foreign team to benefit from the experience of the Spurs' recent sweep of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals.

Demps said coach Gregg Popovich's staff, possibly except for P. J. Carlesimo, will supervise the camp for the PBA team. Carlesimo is rumored to be considering a job with the Seattle SuperSonics.

“The best thing that ever happened to me in the Philippines was meeting Derick,” said Demps. “Just a few weeks ago, I was on the phone with him. We text each other all the time and I hope Talk ‘N' Text makes it to the PBA Finals.”

In 2003, Demps was in Manila to train the La Salle varsity on Pumaren's invitation. The Archers were then bringing in a slew of fresh recruits, including Jayvee Casio and Tyrone Tang. Demps traveled alone, stayed for two weeks, returned to watch the US NCAA Final Four and came back for another two weeks, this time with his wife Anita. When he got back to the US, Demps was hired by the New York Knicks as a scout.

Last year, Demps arranged for Pumaren to join the Spurs coaching staff in the summer leagues.

“I wasn't an observer,” said Pumaren in a long distance phone call from Manila. “I was part of the Spurs staff and joined the team in summer leagues in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. Dell advises me on which imports to get and although he's not an agent, he puts me in touch with the right people. He recommended J. J. Sullinger for our team this conference.”

Pumaren said Demps' dream is to see a Filipino player in the NBA.

“He told me he plans to bring some NBA scouts to watch games in the PBA,” said Pumaren. “At one time, he was closely looking at Willie Miller and Jimmy Alapag. Maybe, we can invite him to come, conduct clinics and help our national team.”

Demps played for Golden State, Orlando and San Antonio in a three-year NBA career. After his playing days were over, he was Sam Vincent's assistant coach on the Mobile Revelers team that won the NBA D-League title in 2003. He was initially a scout for the Knicks then became the director of pro player personnel, the position he now has with the Spurs whom he joined two years ago.

“I coached Dell for Pepsi,” said Pumaren. “He was a two-three player, very coachable and we got along to the point that we became very close friends.”

Demps has his suits and shirts made exclusively at “Rich and Famous,” a tailoring shop on the second floor of the Pension Virginia building on Pasay Road, Makati. He's been a customer since the shop opened nine years back. Pumaren sends Demps' clothes to San Antonio through friends.

Spurs guard Bruce Bowen also has his suits and shirts made at “Rich and Famous.”

During the recent NBA Finals, Demps wore his Philippine-made suits.

“Rich and Famous” proprietress Zeny Magdangal said Demps orders about 10 suits and 20 shirts, both long and short-sleeved, twice a year. Bowen sent a sample suit for his measurements and just got the first delivery of three suits, four long-sleeved shirts and three short-sleeved shirts. He is due for a second order.

Magdangal said master cutter Ben Dalida of Cavite takes care of the orders of both Demps and Bowen. “Our customers include the entire Pumaren family, including Franz and Dindo, Bong Ravena, Tonichi Yturri and Frankie Lim,” said Magdangal. “We employ about 15 tailors to do the men's clothes and five for women. They mostly do their work at home so our shop is just an order taker.”

Demps played at the University of the Pacific and earned his bachelor and master's degrees in business administration in the California school. He and wife Anita, a lawyer, have three sons Jourdan, 17, Tre, 14, and Riley, 7.

nice post!!!!
    SmartGilas.com
    TeamPilipinas.info
    www.facebook.com/SmartGilas
    www.IBN.SmartGilas.com <<-- Share IBN's PBA forum to the world!!

Comment

Anyone is a Spurs Uniform becomes a better player for it.

Comment

Working...
      X

Debug Information