Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 2017 FIBA U19 World Championship

Canada wins.
    That must feel good.
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Congrats to the Canadians. I didn't see the game, but it appears our neighbors to the north peaked at the right time. The German's exposed the US yesterday and the Canadians took full advantage.

Hell of an effort by Canada and a well-deserved win. Perhaps they were better off with Barrett as the undisputed alpha doing his thing and everyone else just playing their roles. Hope they can win it tomorrow.

US never figured it out defensively and 33% from the field and 58% from the line isn't going to get it done. Big men seem to lack the explosiveness to finish strong and dunk in traffic. Not impressed with Diallo at all in this tournament. You could see the weaknesses in the first half yesterday and this time they weren't able to turn it around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Great game of RJ-led Canada and here we have an unexpected (at least for many) final Canada-Italy. Difference maker was of course Barrett, simply immense, but all his teammates (and coach) did what expected to win. Just the opposite, some of US most experienced players lost their offensive skills.

Saw the first game of R.J. Barret and I still can´t believe what i saw. Talent of this century. If he is not becoming a hall of famer, I will quit my bride future in the sport sector. No big surprise for me USA was beaten by Canada. They already played pretty bad against Germany and Canada is way more talented than us and were able to copy the US style garnished with way better defense.

This gonna be an easy win against the surprise of this tournament Italy - with all the respect.

With the game against the US Germany starts to play grown basketball and stopped acting like future NBA stars as they will (maybe beside of Bonga) never be. Pretty solid team effort against France today.

Again, I didn't have the benefit of seeing the game, but this loss only fosters the perception that John Calipari isn't a good Xs & Os coach, and that he's made a career by amassing talent instead of coaching it. This team would've been better served if it had Mark Few, Shaka Smart, or even a lower profiled coach. Early on, I wasn't a fan of Cal's platoon substitution style. In the prelims, he should've been ironing out his rotations instead of platooning. He was banking on overwhelming talent being the difference...but clearly that strategy backfired when they went up against Canada, a country that plays the same style but more efficiently. Also, some of the blame falls on whoever made the selections, whether it was Cal and his coaching staff or USA Basketball administrators. International play is NOT the McDonald's All-Star Game. Instead of getting the 12 best players, get the 12 RIGHT players. This team was too top heavy with wings that did the same thing. The US isn't going to win every tournament, but at least lose with your strengths and not your weaknesses.

Exclamation

Canada 99 U.S.A. 87

Wow! Just wow.

What's with Canada producing super talents lately? I guess a ticking bomb in international BB

The flick from the future...

All this went unexpected. Barrett seems to be like Lebron here.

Coach Calipari from https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...an-quotes.aspx :
    We got 30 offensive rebounds. We scored enough points to win. But then it came down to some breakdowns defensively, and the other thing was, RJ (Barrett) had it going. I told the team after the game, I needed to try some different things - go zone, trap pick and roll, trap him. I kind of rode it because I thought we would figure out something, and that is my mistake. ...
    Well at least Cal is honest. And Rana and his crew were able to better read the game.

Another drawback imo was yesterday's bench depth which usually is US teams winning factor. Langford, Okogie and Huerter not playing or being no-factors, McCoy just few minutes in, Diallo underperforming...clearly RJ came from another planet but that was one of Canada strengths coupled with US team weaknesses.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by thiago94 View Post
    No big surprise for me USA was beaten by Canada. Canada ... were able to copy the US style garnished with way better defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Federoy View Post
    ...loss only fosters the perception that John Calipari isn't a good Xs & Os coach, and that he's made a career by amassing talent instead of coaching it.... but clearly that strategy backfired when they went up against Canada, a country that plays the same style but more efficiently. Also, some of the blame falls on whoever made the selections, whether it was Cal and his coaching staff or USA Basketball administrators. International play is NOT the McDonald's All-Star Game. Instead of getting the 12 best players, get the 12 RIGHT players.
    Those comments sum it up. Canada's team was similar to that of the United States in many ways, but the Canadian players were schooled by the coaches to play better as a TEAM, particularly on defence.

Congrats to Canada first time and deserved WC winner. Italian team tried its best but was no match for Canada in terms of talent and athleticism, game was already over after Q1. RJ will surely be MVP. Excellent placement anyway of Italy, much more than expected.
    Good final game of US team, wide winner of Spain and taking home the bronze.

All-Tournament:
    Barrett MVP
    Kigab
    Bucarelli
    Oxilia
    Pritchard

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    All-Tournament:
    Barrett MVP
    Kigab
    Bucarelli
    Oxilia
    Pritchard
    why not denegri instead of bucarelli?

congrats to canada

i'm very happy for our guys,they have few talent but big balls and great defense showed in this tournament

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Congrats to Canada first time and deserved WC winner.
    Yay!

The only thing that saddens me is that 25 years ago the bulk of Canadian players on Youth teams were drawn from Canadian universities. Now they all attend U.S. colleges, and I suspect them of simply being American wannabes. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, that's the route they have to take if they want to be noticed by NBA scouts but I really don't give a damn if they get to this American NBA league. The fact that these fellows have all chosen to play south of the border means that they just don't tug on my heart strings like a hockey team where all the players honed their skills right here at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Yay!

The only thing that saddens me is that 25 years ago the bulk of Canadian players on Youth teams were drawn from Canadian universities. Now they all attend U.S. colleges, and I suspect them of simply being American wannabes. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, that's the route they have to take if they want to be noticed by NBA scouts but I really don't give a damn if they get to this American NBA league. The fact that these fellows have all chosen to play south of the border means that they just don't tug on my heart strings like a hockey team where all the players honed their skills right here at home.

Are you kidding me Hepcat ? They go where its best just like everyone else. We all to that.
    Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
    FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
    FIBA European Championship : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    Yay!

I gotta disagree Hep. I take no issue with your pro-Canadian stance. There's a real attachment and novelty to wanting homegrown talent to prosper (sort of reminds me of how proud Jamaicans are that Usain Bolt never attended a US college and trains in Jamaica). But for Canadian players to grow, the NCAA offers them the best opportunity. U-Sports just doesn't provide enough competition for them to hone their craft. Your view is not unlike some in the States who feel American soccer players who play abroad are doing the MLS a disservice...I disagree. Go where the competition is at.
    Last edited by Federoy; 07-10-2017 at 03:03 AM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Modis View Post
    Are you kidding me Hepcat ? They go where its best just like everyone else. We all to that.
    Well yes of course everyone does. And it's perfectly understandable. But as a result I end up viewing such a team with "professional" detachment of my own. I remember my father saying to me back when I was a teenager getting all worked up about the Stanley Cup Playoffs. "Why are you so sick about these games? The players are all professionals just playing for the money." Of course I argued that they weren't just playing for the money, but to a certain extent I now share my father's attitude.

I'm sure if you dissected my attitudes and feelings you'd find some internal inconsistencies, but so what? Sports aren't exactly important in the overall scheme of things and I have a right to support, financially and sentimentally, whichever teams happen to tug at my heart strings for whatever trivial reason. And what I most like about Canadian university sports is that they really and truly are played by student athletes. You can find students from the law school, business school or med school on varsity teams. In fact if an athlete doesn't pass his school year academically, he's ineligible to play the following season (which has in the past created some very real problems for teams). Moreover the head coach of any team, even the football team, must also be an accredited member of the faculty and teach a course(s) of his own. While a new coach being hired doesn't have to be an existing faculty member, he must nonetheless have sufficient academic credentials (I guess a B.A. anyway) to teach (Phys-Ed perhaps) at the university!

Interesting as well with respect to the Toronto Blue Jays. I've never been able to embrace the team. In fact when I realized in the late 1980's that the Blue Jays were drawing interest away from homegrown Canadian sports, I really turned against them for several years. "If the Blue Jays fielded an overwhelmingly Canadian roster, then I could avidly support them win or lose" I often argued. "Why should we be proud of the fact that a Canadian corporation (Labatt Breweries) is willing to pay more to hire American and Latin American baseball players than any American corporation? The Blue Jays should move to Buffalo. The Buffalo Blue Jays, now that has a ring to it!" Although I have no problem supporting my traditional favourites, the Pirates, Indians, Tigers, Athletics, Cardinals, Mets, Giants and anybody playing the Yankees. Sure those teams are American, but they're supposed to be American so that's fine!

Last edited by Hepcat; 07-10-2017 at 10:22 PM.

So that was a very surprising and enjoyable run by the Canadian boys. I never saw it coming - early in the thread I claimed this was a 5-8th place team. This team had so many top players missing. But that shows how little I know...
    Perhaps having RJ as the undisputed alpha dog on this team, with Kigab, a do everything secondary, a really good PG and a bunch of role players was what was needed. Too many top prospects and only one ball to share could have easily made this a worse team. When will I learn that team chemistry, good coaching and defined roles very often trump just a collection of top talent?

I'm still amazed - we had 3 of our top 15 prospects playing, but having the top prospect and the right guys with him did the trick.

Ray Rana had a great game plans in place versus France, USA and Italy. Great coaching effort and I'd love to see him have a chance to replace Jay Triano someday soon. Triano is among the least flexible game planners and in game decision makers - after this show it seem Rana is by far the superior coach.

RJ Barrett showed me he will likely be a far better player than Andrew Wiggins.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567